Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mllaneza posted:

And let me guess, you've got one junior tech under you who's been with the organization for ten years in the same role and no other headcount. Ever.

You don't even get any institutional knowledge because it is a brand new franchise. From the looks of that posting, they have no idea what direction they want to go besides maybe probably O365/Azure but the mentions of Google and AWS make me think it would be a terribly scattered position and you would be supporting all the staffers who do not know computers well all the way up to maintaining the patching for VMs. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Some drama is brewing in Cloud/OSS land. AWS is taking their issue with Elastic one step further and is now forking the OSS version of Elasticsearch/Kibana. This is MongoDB <> DynamoDB all over again it seems.

Elastic doesn't like that AWS makes money of their product without getting some kickback from that. Since the OSS version lacked basic security features (which users in general have been begging to put in to the free tier for ages) AWS basically said "lol gently caress you, it's OSS so we'll create our own distro". They did provide bugfixes to Elastic on stuff they fixed in the Open Distro. Trying to monetize the security parts is probably what caused this in the first place as they were also in a lawsuit with a guy who built an authentication plugin and turned that into a company as well (search guard).

Elastic finally moved some basic stuff (like SSL and Auth) into their free version but it's too little too late. They said they would always keep Elasticsearch Open Source but are apparently backtracking on that and changing to a stricter Server Side Public License (same as MongoDB) and moving away from Apache 2.0 license, mainly to prevent AWS from monetizing their product. This resulted in a spicy blog post from AWS while Elastic had a meltdown writing multiple novel sized blog posts (here and here) about why this is great and their products will still be OSS and nobody but cloud providers will be impacted.

There already has been a law suit pending for months if not years, no idea who that's going to turn out, but with the current fork it might not even matter anymore. One outcome could be they can't call it AWS Elasticsearch Service anymore as the name has been trademarked by Elastic, but the term "elastic" is pretty generic and in use by multiple services from AWS longer than Elastic exists as a company I think.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Biowarfare posted:

i can't think of nutanix as anything other than some kind of protein powder you mix into milk

Sounds like some kind of prescription drugs that fights...who knows what

​​Before taking NUTANIX®, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I agree with Sickening here. I also doubt how much value there would be in continuing with this arrangement and then bouncing out with Nutanix experience, maybe their stuff is more popular in the US though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

i am a moron posted:

If someone did this poo poo to me I'd be quitting on the spot just to test the boundaries of my worth to the organization. And if they let me walk, gently caress them.

Y'all act like you don't have mortgages/rent or people depending on your salaries. I'm going to remediate the problems that have come up while I'm here, while working to get into a better environment when I can. If you have the mindset and freedom to do differently, cool, but no, I will not be up and quitting as the first response to a couple of supervisors overstepping things. I am really, truly, OK. I have no doubt that I can and will get a better job, and am capable of nipping this stuff in the bud too.

This is not to say I am discounting and disagreeing with y'all advising me to not be taken advantage of. That is duly noted, I appreciate it, and I'll be addressing things. I've worked in poo poo jobs before, ones that gave me panic attacks on Sunday evenings due to the thought of starting a new work week, and I won't ever let myself be in that situation again. Seriously, I posted to vent, but this place averages like a 2/10 stress level while I'm here (this week excepted), I'm pretty well-compensated, and when my shift ends it ends. I could be doing much worse while looking for something better.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm in a similar situation to you except I got a job title switch and no raise. My job is pretty chill and while I'm under paid for what I do, I have enough to do alright with at the end of the day.

I will be job hunting once I end up vaccinated although I hold out hope once business picks up they'll organically give me the money I deserve before I find a new home. I'm not holding my breath though.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Y'all act like you don't have mortgages/rent or people depending on your salaries. I'm going to remediate the problems that have come up while I'm here, while working to get into a better environment when I can. If you have the mindset and freedom to do differently, cool, but no, I will not be up and quitting as the first response to a couple of supervisors overstepping things. I am really, truly, OK. I have no doubt that I can and will get a better job, and am capable of nipping this stuff in the bud too.

This is not to say I am discounting and disagreeing with y'all advising me to not be taken advantage of. That is duly noted, I appreciate it, and I'll be addressing things. I've worked in poo poo jobs before, ones that gave me panic attacks on Sunday evenings due to the thought of starting a new work week, and I won't ever let myself be in that situation again. Seriously, I posted to vent, but this place averages like a 2/10 stress level while I'm here (this week excepted), I'm pretty well-compensated, and when my shift ends it ends. I could be doing much worse while looking for something better.

Never quit a job without a new one lined up if you can't afford it. I agree that some of the 'mid six figgies' folks in the thread make it sound like it's easy to quit on the spot for everyone while that's certainly not the case.

That said, I'd certainly not take on the extra responsibility for the exact folks that did not hire you (and don't want to pay you apropriately) for the thing they're asking you to do now. This is rewarding very bad behaviour and reinforces their abuse. Do yourself and all people after you a favor and tell them you're not interested in collaborating on the project they didn't want to hire you for. I'm sure even these idiots will understand they overstepped their boundaries.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

I agree with Sickening here. I also doubt how much value there would be in continuing with this arrangement and then bouncing out with Nutanix experience, maybe their stuff is more popular in the US though.

It's really not. I can't imagine what you'd do with it outside of being a Nutanix consultant, and I can't imagine watching all of your projects inevitably get ripped out or cancelled is a lot of fun.

Whatever you need to do is whatever you need to do. This feels like you're rationalizing why it's okay for them to screw you over though. Maybe I'm wrong.

LochNessMonster posted:

Never quit a job without a new one lined up if you can't afford it. I agree that some of the 'mid six figgies' folks in the thread make it sound like it's easy to quit on the spot for everyone while that's certainly not the case.

It just depends on who you are I guess. I've always been bold about sticking up for myself, and I was in the 50k range 4 1/2ish years ago. I do have a safety net in my family though, so ultimately my worst case was always forcing my parents to take me back. If I had nothing to fall back on like that my calculus would be different and I realize not everyone does have that or would even be willing to do it.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 22, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanks Ants posted:

I touched a little bit of Nutanix years ago, I thought their hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) was pretty decent and I'd suspect those skills are transferable. It's a been a while but it competes with stuff like Cisco UCS or similar enterprise servers from HP, Dell, etc.

My only concern would be do you really want to invest your career in On-Premise Hosting? That's probably the more important question but the cloud is still very new even today.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

i am a moron posted:

It's really not. I can't imagine what you'd do with it outside of being a Nutanix consultant, and I can't imagine watching all of your projects inevitably get ripped out or cancelled is a lot of fun.

Whatever you need to do is whatever you need to do. This feels like you're rationalizing why it's okay for them to screw you over though. Maybe I'm wrong.

+1 to this

Forget the project (lol nunatix), you’re just being treated with a flagrant lack of respect. When I was recently jerked around for a promotion I really wanted, I eventually got it with a 30k salary bump and a title increase of 3 levels because I had leverage.

Policy doesn’t exist, the role hierarchy is a myth, and rules and regulations are all a lie. If you want something, nobody is going to just give it to you. You need to force them to do so, and the only way you can is by exerting leverage and power.

What I’m saying is, JDS, that you need to get another job offer. Take the counter or don’t, but there is *nothing* stopping them from paying you more with a fancier title other than inertia. It is well within your power to overcome that, but it won’t happen by sitting tight and being a good boy waiting for the tap on the shoulder. It will never come, and if it does, it will be the least they can get away with. You deserve better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LochNessMonster posted:

That said, I'd certainly not take on the extra responsibility for the exact folks that did not hire you (and don't want to pay you apropriately) for the thing they're asking you to do now.

That's the sticking point. There is nothing wrong with taking on a project or two that's above your nominal pay grade.It's a great way to show that you can contribute if you do get promoted, and it's often how you show that you're ready for one. These assholes on the other hand are exploiting a worker.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A slack message came in

A Massive Nerd posted:

We have completed our epic quest to deliver the sacred artifact of "Release 1.2.0" to the ancient temple of "Staging"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's less risk to the employee here then you think. Presumably their current work is competent so not accepting responsibilities above and beyond, after being rejected for a job with those responsibilities, will not result in getting sacked. It'll close future opportunities in the org, but that door is already closed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

As long as your good man, vent away. Everyone's situation is different. I purposely kept myself in a comfortable low stress situation for the last decade because the job gave me the flexibility and benefits I needed with younger kids.

Nutanix chat:

I have zero comfort that Nutanix will even be around in 5 years. They're still not turning a profit last I checked. One of their head guys went to go work at Google (which fueled some Google buying Nutanix rumors).

Nutanix isn't a bad platform. There's a lot of things that *I* don't like about it, like their licensing scheme, the reliance on support, limited hardware HCL.

Like any HCI solution though it works in certain situations/workloads. My prior company is going through a 8 figure migration to Nutanix and it's a loving shitshow of the highest order. So many workarounds, limitations, compromises being put in place that paying for Nutanix is just dumb as hell really.

I wouldn't move to Nutanix and would push back hard against moving to it right now. I mean if you're just racking 3 of their appliances and running like 40 Windows VM's on it, sure you could do worse, but my last environment was over 3,000 VM's and there were too many compromises

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Are you going to be fired if you politely tell them that you can't take on extra responsiblity without a promotion? Are you really concerned with making people upset when you no longer let them exploit you?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Are you going to be fired if you politely tell them that you can't take on extra responsiblity without a promotion? Are you really concerned with making people upset when you no longer let them exploit you?

No? I thought I already said I would be talking to them. Or did I just type that out and not actually post it?

In any case, so it's clear: I am going to talk to them and tell them that my continued involvement in projects that should be handled by a titled sysadmin will be ending, pending something changing in terms of title/salary.

I regret not saying as much in the original post. It was always going to be what I was going to do.

skipdogg posted:

As long as your good man, vent away. Everyone's situation is different. I purposely kept myself in a comfortable low stress situation for the last decade because the job gave me the flexibility and benefits I needed with younger kids.

This is exactly my situation. It's a flexible low-stress environment, and I've got two younger kids that I like being available for after 5 and on weekends/holidays.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I actually don’t particularly think you should say “I’m not doing X work without the title.” I’m not sure you have the leverage or power to do so right now. I think you should get another offer first, and then do it. If worst comes to worst, at least you then have a backup. Also, title or no, it’s good experience to have one way or another. How many YOE do you have in IT? If this is one of your first or biggest projects, I might stick it out for the learning opportunity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think you all know where I stand on the workers being exploited thing, so I won't belabor the point because it's been made.

That being said, playing politics here and furthering your career might require a different approach. Japanese Dating Sim, I don't remember where you're at in your career, but if you are trying to break out from helpdesk and into engineering, what I would do here is take on the "fun" projects and completely ignore anything else. If they get on you for not doing the other parts of your job, just tell them you don't have time to do both jobs and you have been focusing on the sysadmin stuff.

That way, you're getting hands on experience and something you can put on a resume. If you're not getting paid the proper rate for it, that sucks and is understandably frustrating. But sometimes getting that first foot in the door to the next part of your career can be difficult, and this is one way to do it. If there's a "power vacuum," fill it, do the job, and either use that as a way to negotiate yourself into a raise or use it as something to put on your resume and find a new job. It also gives you the excuse, if you make a mistake, "this isn't my job, I'm just helping out!" Just don't let them take advantage of you long term.

I have done similar in my career and have helped folks I mentored do the same.

[edit: I just need to repeat, you have to have the willpower not to do both jobs. Do not let them bully you into doing both things.]

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Internet Explorer posted:

I think you all know where I stand on the workers being exploited thing, so I won't belabor the point because it's been made.

That being said, playing politics here and furthering your career might require a different approach. Japanese Dating Sim, I don't remember where you're at in your career, but if you are trying to break out from helpdesk and into engineering, what I would do here is take on the "fun" projects and completely ignore anything else. If they get on you for not doing the other parts of your job, just tell them you don't have time to do both jobs and you have been focusing on the sysadmin stuff.

That way, you're getting hands on experience and something you can put on a resume. If you're not getting paid the proper rate for it, that sucks and is understandably frustrating. But sometimes getting that first foot in the door to the next part of your career can be difficult, and this is one way to do it. If there's a "power vacuum," fill it, do the job, and either use that as a way to negotiate yourself into a raise or use it as something to put on your resume and find a new job. It also gives you the excuse, if you make a mistake, "this isn't my job, I'm just helping out!" Just don't let them take advantage of you long term.

I have done similar in my career and have helped folks I mentored do the same.

[edit: I just need to repeat, you have to have the willpower not to do both jobs. Do not let them bully you into doing both things.]

If someone just came to him and said "hey, want to help out?" I'd say go for it. That's what I've always done. If someone pushed me to interview for a job, claimed they'd hired someone else, that person never showed up, then they started inviting me to meetings to help out I would absolutely tell them to gently caress off.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sports teams are pretty notorious for underpaying and overworking staff because you're working a job that everyone thinks they want to do and hoping you get some lottery ticket chance at becoming a GM or upper level decision maker.
Yeah, it's the same with game companies that aren't Nintendo (and even then, only if you're not a contract employee). People will take these jobs because they're passionate about X; nobody takes a job at a bank because they're passionate about finance, they just want to get paid.

It also usually means the work environment at those sorts of jobs is toxic as hell, because you're working with people who don't look at their job as a job, but as part of their identity, and are willing to go waaaaaaayyyyy outside of regular job norms because of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i am a moron posted:

If someone just came to him and said "hey, want to help out?" I'd say go for it. That's what I've always done. If someone pushed me to interview for a job, claimed they'd hired someone else, that person never showed up, then they started inviting me to meetings to help out I would absolutely tell them to gently caress off.
It's that. This isn't an exciting new project that is above a pay grade but is interesting, breaks your day up, and means you can ignore your current duties for the days you are working on it. This is a position that you interviewed for, the company said you didn't have the skills for, and they now want you to do it anyway with your current pay, (presumably) while also being held to any KPIs on your helpdesk role.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As part of our HQ's $1M+ renovation we now have Hulu and Disney subscriptions with all the extras for the plethora of giant 4k televisions, and Bill pawned off account administration to me.

So I just watched the first episode of The Mandalorian, and holy poo poo that was good. Now, back to work I guess.

EDIT: OMG this show is so good. I take back some of the negative things I've said about the AV project.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 22, 2021

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dick Trauma posted:

As part of our HQ's $1M+ renovation we now have Hulu and Disney subscriptions with all the extras for the plethora of giant 4k televisions, and Bill pawned off account administration to me.

So I just watched the first episode of The Mandalorian, and holy poo poo that was good. Now, back to work I guess.

It sounds to me like you need to do a lot more "Account Verification" operations!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

what I would do here is take on the "fun" projects and completely ignore anything else. If they get on you for not doing the other parts of your job, just tell them you don't have time to do both jobs and you have been focusing on the sysadmin stuff.

This is basically how I got my title switch was a version of this and following orders to the letter when it came to the extra duties they threw on me.

"I did exactly what you told me and followed directions explicitly, because the [duty] is generally outside of my realm of responsibility and I wouldn't want to step on the toes of [the security department] without being responsible to them."

A week or two of that and I got my title change. No raise though, because the company decided nobody was getting raises this year.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
:yotj:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:cheers:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Y-O-T-J

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Re nutanix chat. There is always a role in legacy poo poo that places can’t move off from. COBOL is still required in some poo poo and they’re very high paying jobs. Now the question is do you want to limit yourself to those jobs.

Go mile wide and inch deep and be able to apply at every job imho.

E: clam down knows my real inches.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 23, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Who the gently caress is running COBOL on Nutanix though

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Who the gently caress is running COBOL on Nutanix though

There’s someone out there. Trust me. And they’re all gonna pay $300k for a cobol nutanix guy right now. That could be you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If anyone even mentions Perl in a job description I add 50k to my salary price

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

Re nutanix chat. There is always a role in legacy poo poo that places can’t move off from. COBOL is still required in some poo poo and they’re very high paying jobs. Now the question is do you want to limit yourself to those jobs.

Go mile wide and inch deep and be able to apply at every job imho.

E: clam down knows my real inches.

Not even legacy poo poo. RHEL isn’t certified to run on AHV, so we had to keep a VMware based cluster for RHEL, so we get to keep paying for VMware and get to pay for Nutanix on top of it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Not even legacy poo poo. RHEL isn’t certified to run on AHV, so we had to keep a VMware based cluster for RHEL, so we get to keep paying for VMware and get to pay for Nutanix on top of it.

oh sever

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

oh sever

That was at the old job, so I guess you can say I did.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

got set up as a vendor for my old job and billed $125 to setup a new relying trust in adfs and talked about doing a couple larger projects for them in the future

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

got set up as a vendor for my old job and billed $125 to setup a new relying trust in adfs and talked about doing a couple larger projects for them in the future

I don't know if that would pay for the meeting, much less the work. But hats off to you if it leads to more money.

I also shudder at companies getting 3rd parties to setup trusts in their domains though as its such of a juicy attack vector.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

On my end it was: “hey we need to get sso to work for this new service, can you do it for us? Here’s the email from the vendor”

Literally 5 minutes of work

E: the other projects will happen later in the year and would be multi-week engagements

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Monday my promotion to a management position is official. Someone who has worked at the company for 2 years has asked to join my team, but their manager and peers during that entire time doesn't know what that person is capable of (their current manager doesn't seem that good of a manager) so I have no idea what I'm getting into. To test the waters I asked them to do some time sensitive Terraform work that is infrastructure related but within the confines of their current role and they completely messed it up so this is probably going to be an issue. Fortunately they are already on the chopping block and this is more of a "prove it" role for them, so I shouldn't get blown up if they underperform

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I’m trying to move on from my aggressively boring new company post-acquisition and got an offer from a really cool company yesterday for more than I make now. I lied and said it’s less than I make now. I now have to meet with a VP, I’m assuming for vetting purposes. But if they try to talk me out of negotiating I’m gonna fold immediately because I don’t know why I’m so obsessed with negotiating my salary all the loving time lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Because we work for money. Go get yours.