Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

thrawn527 posted:

So is everyone else in the town dead, but recreated by Wanda? Is that maybe what the neighbor was about to say?

It seems everyone in town are real people, and they are aware of what is going on but are forced to play a role. Mrs. Hart was definitely panicking on episode 1 but had to stick to her quirky boss' wife role. The doctor wanted to get away, but however is controlling everything wouldn't let him (car broke).

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode like that (or was that episode from the Simpsons lol)? Where everyone had to pretend to be always happy because there was little girl with mind powers? She ends throwing someone in to a cartoon or something if I remember.

Will love it if they are going that way with the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It might be good for folks to manage their expectations a bit from here on out. I presume there's going to be at least three more episodes utilizing this sitcom gimmick. After which, though...who knows?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Yeah, by the look of the trailers and advances it seems at certain moment poo poo's gonna hit the fan and HARD.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, by the look of the trailers and advances it seems at certain moment poo poo's gonna hit the fan and HARD.

I'm sure the fireworks factory is right around the corner.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

The advance screenings / reviewers have seen as much as is currently out. Anything else is just speculation and a couple of random press titbits.

The format it currently has is the one it's going to maintain for most of the season, give or take an episode set entirely outside the bubble.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm just speculating based in certain trailer. Unless Im secret disney exec nothing I'm saying is set in stone and a reality. If some didnt liked that's fine, if others liked it and are excited and expecting stuff thats also fine.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

It might be good for folks to manage their expectations a bit from here on out. I presume there's going to be at least three more episodes utilizing this sitcom gimmick. After which, though...who knows?

I mean, it's fairly clear that we're getting episodes where the sitcom portions are '80s, '90s, and '00s-themed, but hopefully this week's ending means that they pull back the curtain and advance the plot a lot more than the first three episodes did.

like... the audience knows from the very beginning of the series that the sitcom pastiche world is not "real" and cannot possibly be real. you can only spend so much time playing that aspect straight and expect viewers to stay invested rather than getting frustrated

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 22, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode like that (or was that episode from the Simpsons lol)? Where everyone had to pretend to be always happy because there was little girl with mind powers? She ends throwing someone in to a cartoon or something if I remember.

Youre thinking of Its a Good Life episode of the Twilight Zone which was indeed parodied in a Simpsons halloween special.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

massive spider posted:

Youre thinking of Its a Good Life episode of the Twilight Zone which was indeed parodied in a Simpsons halloween special.

It's cool that that Twilight Zone episode takes just 25 mins to make its point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

See, I’d be happier with just the sitcom poo poo, cut the wider plot out of it, sitcom scenarios are funny with comic book characters.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
if I was a marvel fan would I recognize the symbol on the necklace?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

Yes, it's a stylised version of the logo for SWORD, a sister agency of (obviously) SHIELD in the comics. We also saw it on the toy helicopter and beekeeper guy and the control room from the first 2 eps.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

show is still good, would be nice if it didn’t keep underscoring the shifts away from sitcom pastiche with ominous music and just let the changes in cinematography and acting style speak for themselves

Yeah the way they transitioned to widescreen was really odd. In previous episodes the slow transition was Wanda purposefully (or subconsciously) advancing the 'look' of the world to a new era of sitcom, so it didn't make sense to use the same effect to transition to an entirely different perspective.

The tiny little edit/rewind with Vision was my favorite thing in the series so far.
Perfectly executed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, it's a stylised version of the logo for SWORD, a sister agency of (obviously) SHIELD in the comics. We also saw it on the toy helicopter and beekeeper guy and the control room from the first 2 eps.

Seems like a bad idea to wear that around your neck on your mission.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
my favorite part of the show is just the fashion and how the sitcom style evolves. it's so incredibly accurate

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

show is still good, would be nice if it didn’t keep underscoring the shifts away from sitcom pastiche with ominous music and just let the changes in cinematography and acting style speak for themselves

This is an odd take to me, because it suggests that score is somehow not part of the mise-en-scene for the sitcom genre vs the thriller/action vibe of the MCU stuff?

Its Chocolate posted:

my favorite part of the show is just the fashion and how the sitcom style evolves. it's so incredibly accurate

Having gone and watched a bit of the Dick Van Dyke Show because of this, it's amazing how dead on the kitchen in the first episode is just Rob and Laura's kitchen from that show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Seems like a bad idea to wear that around your neck on your mission.

I get the impression she wasn't supposed to be there given the ending.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I get the impression she wasn't supposed to be there given the ending.

I think you're meant to infer that she's been sent by SWORD to try and snap Wanda out of it, hence why she pressed a little when the twin babies triggered Wanda about Pietro's death.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

massive spider posted:

Plus Desperado Bones is kind of mixing it with the sequel (the boy growing up to have a daughter with the same powers) and the movie adaptation (someone being thrown into a cartoon).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

stev posted:

Yeah the way they transitioned to widescreen was really odd. In previous episodes the slow transition was Wanda purposefully (or subconsciously) advancing the 'look' of the world to a new era of sitcom, so it didn't make sense to use the same effect to transition to an entirely different perspective.

The tiny little edit/rewind with Vision was my favorite thing in the series so far.
Perfectly executed.

The change in aspect ratio actually makes sense, given that this is the first time we've seen the "real world" in the series (aside from the bit with the monitors at the end of the first episode, which was also in widescreen

Gaz-L posted:

This is an odd take to me, because it suggests that score is somehow not part of the mise-en-scene for the sitcom genre vs the thriller/action vibe of the MCU stuff?

yes, but I don't think the "real world" creeping into the sitcom world needs to be underscored so heavy-handedly, and would be more effective if it wasn't

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

So is everyone else in the town dead, but recreated by Wanda? Is that maybe what the neighbor was about to say?

There's a moment in the trailers where Agnes asks Vision if she's dead because he is.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

Plus Desperado Bones is kind of mixing it with the sequel (the boy growing up to have a daughter with the same powers) and the movie adaptation (someone being thrown into a cartoon).

It's been decades since I've seen that! :lol: Color me surprised I didn't know there was a sequel!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a moment in the trailers where Agnes asks Vision if she's dead because he is.

Yeah, that's partly what I'm basing this on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

chitoryu12 posted:

That... seems like a weird thing for the trailers to give away.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

stev posted:

Give away what?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

stev posted:

Anyone who has seen Infinity War or Endgame knows that Vision is dead. The fact he's alive in Wandavision is explicitly meant to be weird, and clue you in to the fact something more is going on. Watching the trailers again, I'm more curious where Wanda and Vision's "This is our home", "Then let's fight for it exchange" is meant to take place. It's presumably one of the final episodes, but it frames their actions as that of heroes fighting against an external force and this episode definitely leaned in to the idea that Wanda is the villain. Any time anyone gets too close to her secret, she changes them to prevent it happening and she ejected Monica off-screen. Which is actually shown in the trailers; with Monica speeding through the air before busting out through the wall of reality in to the real world. Vision slowly realizing that there's something wrong seems like it's the direction of the show, so will he force Wanda to kill him again? Or just to end the illusion she's forcing everyone else to live through, and to confront her grief properly; leading in to Dr. Strange 2?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh right, I thought you meant the trailer implied that Agnes and the others in the town are dead.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

Anyone who has seen Infinity War or Endgame knows that Vision is dead. The fact he's alive in Wandavision is explicitly meant to be weird, and clue you in to the fact something more is going on. Watching the trailers again, I'm more curious where Wanda and Vision's "This is our home", "Then let's fight for it exchange" is meant to take place. It's presumably one of the final episodes, but it frames their actions as that of heroes fighting against an external force and this episode definitely leaned in to the idea that Wanda is the villain. Any time anyone gets too close to her secret, she changes them to prevent it happening and she ejected Monica off-screen. Which is actually shown in the trailers; with Monica speeding through the air before busting out through the wall of reality in to the real world. Vision slowly realizing that there's something wrong seems like it's the direction of the show, so will he force Wanda to kill him again? Or just to end the illusion she's forcing everyone else to live through, and to confront her grief properly; leading in to Dr. Strange 2?

it seems like Wanda's doing this as an elaborate coping mechanism, and while she's obviously hosed up here, the real villain will be Hydra/Strucker/someone else who's trying to exploit her or somehow taking advantage of her reality warping. so there can still be a moment where she comes back to the real world and they turn against the actual villain

probably will end up being very wrong, but I feel like that could explain the Hydra/Strucker ads: if they're somehow influencing her to change reality to make Hydra not gone in her fake world, maybe they hope she could do it to the entire world

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Considering a casting spoiler I hope Evan Peters turns out to be playing Speed and not Quicksilver just for the surprise factor

How many Vision/Scarlet Witch stories has this show been pulling from? It seems like so far it's been House of M, The Vision and The Scarlet Witch (1985), and Vision (2015).

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

Only if you read the comics

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This really does feel like a disney version of Legion, I hope they do more with it, because legion is hard to top and this show is not even close

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

eke out posted:

it seems like Wanda's doing this as an elaborate coping mechanism, and while she's obviously hosed up here, the real villain will be Hydra/Strucker/someone else who's trying to exploit her or somehow taking advantage of her reality warping. so there can still be a moment where she comes back to the real world and they turn against the actual villain

probably will end up being very wrong, but I feel like that could explain the Hydra/Strucker ads: if they're somehow influencing her to change reality to make Hydra not gone in her fake world, maybe they hope she could do it to the entire world

I have all my money on Hydra doing something to control her. Although I'm also considering Swarm as other goons said. They are using too many hexagons in their intros. He probably is working for Hydra?

Spacebump posted:

Considering a casting spoiler I hope Evan Peters turns out to be playing Speed and not Quicksilver just for the surprise factor

I think that actor is a few years older than Elizabeth Olsen...so it would be a hella weird casting.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Spacebump posted:

How many Vision/Scarlet Witch stories has this show been pulling from? It seems like so far it's been House of M, The Vision and The Scarlet Witch (1985), and Vision (2015).

Some elements or themes from Avengers Disassembled, as well as some of John Byrne’s West Coast Avengers run.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gaz-L posted:

What about Agnes's necklace? It looks like 3 people with the middle one holding a scythe. I'd guess Agatha, Grim Reaper, and either Mephisto or Nick Scratch. However, I haven't read many stories with those characters so I don't know much about them.

Desperado Bones posted:

I have all my money on Hydra doing something to control her. Although I'm also considering Swarm as other goons said. They are using too many hexagons in their intros. He probably is working for Hydra?

I think that actor is a few years older than Elizabeth Olsen...so it would be a hella weird casting.

It'd be weird but this show is already weird and Evan Peters could get away with playing someone in their 20s. It's not the most solid idea but it'd be fun.

GPTribefan posted:

Some elements or themes from Avengers Disassembled, as well as some of John Byrne’s West Coast Avengers run.

Thanks

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 22, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spacebump posted:

What about Agnes's necklace? It looks like 3 people with the middle one holding a scythe to me. I'd guess Agatha, Grim Reaper, and either Mephisto or Nick Scratch. However, I haven't read many stories with those characters so I don't know much about them.

It'd be weird but this show is already weird and Evan Peters could get away with playing someone in their 20s. It's not the most solid idea but it'd be fun.

Thanks

Agnes necklace speculation spoiler: If it is Agnes as a witch, it could be the maiden, the mother, and the crone which is a witches coven.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

See, I’d be happier with just the sitcom poo poo, cut the wider plot out of it, sitcom scenarios are funny with comic book characters.

the below is just a joke tweet, but if the sitcom aspect were more like this, I'd honestly be a lot happier with it
https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1352716116418650114
though I suppose it'd be harder to make the dramatic beats land if the sitcom parts were basically a parody of the "real" MCU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

eke out posted:

I hope not, since besides that not explaining the Stark Toaster ad in the first episode, I just think it's more interesting if Wanda is the villain of the show. As is, the ads don't seem like they're meant to be real in setting, as in something Wanda or the other residents see or know about and seem more like goofy ways to play upon her history and the wider MCU as a whole. That said, the first ad for the Stark Toaster did have one beat where the two actors were waiting for the toast to pop where they were silently grinning at the camera for a second or two in a slightly awkward manner like they were being forced. That could just be meant to play up the cheesiness of the era's ads though, rather than mean anything in and of itself.

One other thing I found interesting looking at the trailers again is that [episode 3 spoilers]when Wanda asks Monica who she is, Monica in the trailer has a really confused "I don't know" response, while she seems to know who she is and be trying to infiltrate Wanda's reality in the episode as is. I wonder if there was a slight change in plans at some point. Or if maybe Monica was losing herself in the new reality despite stepping in there with a specific purpose.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Touché. There has been 40 year olds playing younger characters so it's not a impossible. And indeed it would be a fun and unexpected!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Terror Sweat posted:

This really does feel like a disney version of Legion, I hope they do more with it, because legion is hard to top and this show is not even close

If anything, the show reminds me of the Justice League cartoon two-parter "Legends." It's basically the same story, only instead of old sitcoms, it's 1950's style corny superhero adventures.

I'm wondering if it will have a similar ending, where Vision chooses to oppose Wanda, knowing that doing so will cause him to cease to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i hope there isn't some dramatic Vision Dies At The End thing and this is just an excuse for him to be alive again. i don't know if Bettany has already ruled out doing more Marvel or what, but he's a delight