Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Any suggestion for a game similar (but no resident evil please) to Parasite Eve for PC?

I really miss that game lore, monsters, gameplay action, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What am I supposed to be DOING in E.Y.E? I did a cyberbrain mission, and now all I seem to have available are like procedural missions in the same area. Is there someone to talk to, some plot to advance?

Yes. The temple area where you can choose to do the procedural missions also has stores and dudes to talk to to advance the plot. Walk around and talk to people, and robots.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What am I supposed to be DOING in E.Y.E? I did a cyberbrain mission, and now all I seem to have available are like procedural missions in the same area. Is there someone to talk to, some plot to advance?

Yeah either check with your Mentor—usually around the giant cyberbrain—or with Rimanah—usually in his office between the big room with doors and the hallway that leads to the medical / cybernetics store.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Oldstench posted:

Also thanks for introducing me to the Mandalore gaming reviews dude. I like his style.

He's definitely one of the better game reviewers imo -- he tends to have a pretty specific/sort of idiosyncratic selection of games to review but the reviews themselves are super helpful and it feelsl like he is one of the few entertaining but also non-skeezy in some way game reviewers.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
OK so Starcrawlers is stupid amounts of great. Can anyone recommend something similar on android / iOS?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boz0r posted:

Are there any modern games like Dungeon Master?
After the above post made me check out Starcrawlers, Starcrawlers

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

tildes posted:

He's definitely one of the better game reviewers imo -- he tends to have a pretty specific/sort of idiosyncratic selection of games to review but the reviews themselves are super helpful and it feelsl like he is one of the few entertaining but also non-skeezy in some way game reviewers.

Quick question - is Mandalore the same guy who posts under the name SsethTzeentach? There's a lot of comments that indicate that they are the same person. I'm not down with his racist, homophobic 4chan bullshit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think that's just a running joke. That said, Mandalore does also interact with Sseth on occasion (and has had him as a cameo in a video or two) so YMMV.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Quick question - is Mandalore the same guy who posts under the name SsethTzeentach? There's a lot of comments that indicate that they are the same person. I'm not down with his racist, homophobic 4chan bullshit.

fwik they're different people who have similar channer roots but mandalore veered more away from them while sseth leans into them

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Is just a meme afaik.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
I'm looking for a PC game for a small group (3-6) of online friends. Key factors are: (i) people will often miss days/weeks for RL issues. Therefore, I'm skeptical of games where "leveling" or "item grinding" is a key mechanic; and (ii) No 3d first person (top down is OK, platformers are OK, etc)

Co-op / PVE / competitive teams are OK. Solo competitive is OK as long as the game is still fun when there are wide variations in skill/knowledge.

Lately, we've been playing Factorio, but need a break. Before that, AoE2 DE.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

gaj70 posted:

I'm looking for a PC game for a small group (3-6) of online friends. Key factors are: (i) people will often miss days/weeks for RL issues. Therefore, I'm skeptical of games where "leveling" or "item grinding" is a key mechanic; and (ii) No 3d first person (top down is OK, platformers are OK, etc)

Co-op / PVE / competitive teams are OK. Solo competitive is OK as long as the game is still fun when there are wide variations in skill/knowledge.

HoMM 3

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

gaj70 posted:

Fall Guys (its third person, but a platformer that meets your criteria)

Duck Game

Among US

Minecraft, honestly

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

gaj70 posted:

Minecraft unless that violates your no 3d first person.

3 and 4 player days can be Overcooked 2. Sadly, I don't think it supports 6.

Among Us - although you'd want to find an even larger group honestly.

Guild Wars 2 allows high level people to play with lowbies without making the lowbies feel useless.

Alien Swarm is real good and free. It has a very high skill ceiling so expect to die a lot.

Don't Starve? I think it supports up to 6. Honestly, I'd think people would be feeling pretty lost and confused when joining a map others have played for even a few hours.

BGA has a bunch of free board games you can play online. We do that a lot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gaj70 posted:

Ultimate Chicken Horse

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you're open to a moba-type game, you could try Awesomenauts. There's a bit of grinding to unlock characters and items, but you can unlock all of those for $25 (or just some of those with the $8 character pack). The base game is free.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rocket league supports up to 8 players 4v4.

Are there any FPS that play 6? The only one I can think of is Destiny2. Even Destiny 2 only supports 6 players in raids, most of the game is three players and it's very loot-centric.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Overwined posted:

I wish someone would try something like that again. The visuals were very cool and the plot was cool, only there were some very clunky areas of the game. Seems like something like this would be easier to get right today. Too bad adventure games are commercially non-viable :(

Thanks all. I'll see what the group thinks tomorrow.

Re minecraft/rocketleague.... fps games makes on guy dizzy, but I'm not 100% sure if it's the 3d or 1st person view that causes the issue.

To be honest, Alien Swarm might be the early winner. Even as an old man with a job, it's still hard to argue against "free," though a MOBA might be the longer term answer.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Oldstench posted:

I thought they were totally different people who just happen to (regrettably, given Ssethtezenthech’s viewership) have an overlap in viewers? Ssethtzenenttech is a good example of a game reviewer I don’t watch for the reasons you list.

John Murdoch posted:

That said, Mandalore does also interact with Sseth on occasion (and has had him as a cameo in a video or two) so YMMV.

This is unfortunate!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

gaj70 posted:

Thanks all. I'll see what the group thinks tomorrow.

I appreciate that you quoted a The Last Express recommendation from 12 years ago :lol:. That was a terrific game. Some games fall apart at the ending, but TLE goes out with a loving bang.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shine posted:

I appreciate that you quoted a The Last Express recommendation from 12 years ago :lol:. That was a terrific game. Some games fall apart at the ending, but TLE goes out with a loving bang.

oh yeah The Last Express loving owns. it works more on the illusion of freedom in what is actually a pretty linear story, but it knows exactly what it wants to be and delivers on it perfectly

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Funktor posted:

OK so Starcrawlers is stupid amounts of great. Can anyone recommend something similar on android / iOS?

Deep Sky Derelicts could fit the bill.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LLSix posted:

Rocket league supports up to 8 players 4v4.

Are there any FPS that play 6? The only one I can think of is Destiny2. Even Destiny 2 only supports 6 players in raids, most of the game is three players and it's very loot-centric.
All the Serious Sam games support up to 16 I believe, and unless I'm mistaken EYE Divine Cybermancy supports up to 50 which sounds hilarious. Probably ArmA as well

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

All the Serious Sam games support up to 16 I believe, and unless I'm mistaken EYE Divine Cybermancy supports up to 50 which sounds hilarious. Probably ArmA as well

EYE supports up to 32.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Afriscipio posted:

Deep Sky Derelicts could fit the bill.

Sadly it's not coming up on the Apple app store or Google Play store.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Funktor posted:

They must have missed the part about being in mobile, because that game was never released on mobile devices.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm looking for single-player PC games that I can play at a very gentle pace while recovering from repetitive stress injuries on both wrists - turns out there's only so much TV I can endure, but I'm hoping I can play something without aggravating my wrists. Anything with a lot of left-mouse clicking, mousewheel scrolling, or WASD controls is out for a while.

Required
* PC, single-player.

* Either solid gamepad controls, or minimal clicking/button-pushing per unit of gameplay.

* Easily pausable. I need to be able to take breaks often, and I get interrupted frequently.

* A relatively gentle pace: Hades was too much, for example.

Ideal
* Something with that "I could listen to a podcast / audiobook while doing this" quality; I've got a lot of listening to catch up on. Warframe and Stardew Valley are good examples of this, at least for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
puzzle games don't really meet the "ideal" requirement but they cover everything else; if that's not a dealbreaker, Baba is You or SpaceChem, maybe?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kestral posted:

I'm looking for single-player PC games that I can play at a very gentle pace while recovering from repetitive stress injuries on both wrists - turns out there's only so much TV I can endure, but I'm hoping I can play something without aggravating my wrists. Anything with a lot of left-mouse clicking, mousewheel scrolling, or WASD controls is out for a while.

Required
* PC, single-player.

* Either solid gamepad controls, or minimal clicking/button-pushing per unit of gameplay.

* Easily pausable. I need to be able to take breaks often, and I get interrupted frequently.

Ideal
* Something with that "I could listen to a podcast / audiobook while doing this" quality; I've got a lot of listening to catch up on. Warframe and Stardew Valley are good examples of this, at least for me.

Golf With Your Friends, which is still a blast if played without your friends. Super chill. The default game mode has timers for your turn and the freelook camera, but you can easily disable them.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Kestral posted:

Required
* PC, single-player.

Ideal

Filament is a chill puzzle game on a spaceship. Perfect gamepad support and you can pause or save/exit at any time.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Kestral posted:

Required
* PC, single-player.

Ideal

Do you like tactics games? I can suggest Horizon's Gate. It has controller support.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Kestral posted:

Required
* PC, single-player.

Ideal

I'm currently playing Dragon Quest XI on gamepass and have my battle party set up to battle automatically based on my chosen tactics, so it's not a lot of clicking actions and stuff. Mostly running around and pressing A. It's been my podcast game of late but you do get bouts of story throughout, and it's turn based so pauses are fine.

Card games like Monster Train probably would also fit the bill.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kestral posted:

Required
* PC, single-player.

Ideal

Snowrunner

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Funktor posted:

Yea. Not my finest hour with reading comprehension.

Pathos for android is a free dungeon crawler, but it's not first person. QuestLord is cheap and cheerful one that aims to capture the early 90s feel of first-person dungeon exploration. Dungeons of Legend: Underwell could be okay, but it has in-app purchases.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

Yea. Not my finest hour with reading comprehension.

Pathos for android is a free dungeon crawler, but it's not first person. QuestLord is cheap and cheerful one that aims to capture the early 90s feel of first-person dungeon exploration. Dungeons of Legend: Underwell could be okay, but it has in-app purchases.

The Quest is great as well, plays like an old school Elder Scrolls

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I am perpetually 3 years behind the times so I'm sure this isn't really a revelation to anyone, but if you're looking for an FPS that's a ridiculous amount of fun, get DUSK.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I’m just finishing up Enderal and looking for something else to play. Preferably something like Enderal and which does not require an internet connection.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any FPS games with deathmatch that have a focus on sneaking around, laying traps etc? We've been playing lots of The Hunt: Showdown and something like that, but with an old school deathmatch mode would be ideal.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Saul Kain posted:

I’m just finishing up Enderal and looking for something else to play. Preferably something like Enderal and which does not require an internet connection.

Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt is probably the closest thing to Enderal / Skyrim in open world RPGs, I thought it was good. Dragon Age: Inquisition is divisive, I haven't played it myself, I heard it's somewhat generic but with good characters. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is fun and weird in a Japanese way. You can climb on large monsters and stab them, so that's good.

Then there's the eurojank scene, where the games have no reasonable balance, the stories and settings tend to be unhinged, and difficulty is all over the place. Kingdom Come - Deliverance is probably the most coherent of those, but the story is kinda gross, they really want you to hate the medieval times. Awful poo poo happens all the time and there's nothing you can do about it. ELEX is a pretty good one, but the difficulty issues are extremely real, starting the game is like colliding with a mountain. The Two Worlds series is in the "so bad it's bizarrely fascinating" category. Then there's the Gothic series for some real classics, but those haven't aged well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Any FPS games with deathmatch that have a focus on sneaking around, laying traps etc? We've been playing lots of The Hunt: Showdown and something like that, but with an old school deathmatch mode would be ideal.

I can't speak for anything modern, but this just reminded me of the Spy vs. Merc PvP in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. That poo poo was so cool. The meta game became pretty whacky after a while, with spies having much more aggressive and kill-oriented play than I think the devs intended, but the first few weeks when nobody really knew what to do, that was a good loving time.