Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lodin posted:

Oh no, what did he do? :(

Aragones is great, Dave Berg was just not very good at being funny and art.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, he was a master of lovely dad jokes.

The Copper Kaiser
Sep 6, 2010

I am a high-iq mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy that characterizes my species!
It's strange that whenever I think of Dave Berg I remember his work as some of the classics but whenever I actually read him it's... mediocre at best. I wonder if I convinced myself as a child that he was great, since he was among the greats in MAD magazine, and there just was something I didn't get that would pop into place as I grew up.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Democratic Progressivism Is a Dead Letter

Big USPol energy from this one.

bartok
May 10, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Aragones is great, Dave Berg was just not very good at being funny and art.

Plus the whole Children of God cult thing.

fake edit - Yes I know that is a different Dave Berg

double fake edit - Holy poo poo! It's still going as The Family International

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's amazing how these """"politics"""" and """"perverse incentives"""" just came out of the ether and caused this chaos. Crazy.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

I may be being whooshed but that's Al Pacino from The Godfather.

Not whooshed, I haven't seen the Godfather and legit thought that was 1970's John Kerrry.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Jagged Jim posted:

Setting aside the fact that nobody has been appointed to the cabinet yet I wonder what his logic is for not counting Deb Haaland as a progressive?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Anyone who would work for Joe Biden is not a progressive.

The fact that Joe Biden is only appointing people who aren't progressives - as proven by their willingness to work for Joe Biden - is further proof that people who are willing to work for Joe Biden aren't progressives.

Jagged Jim posted:

Edit: Content!

1 John Cole Scranton Times Tribune

3 Bruce Plante

4 Steve Sack Minneapolis Star Tribune

5 R. McKee Counterpoint.com

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 22, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I may be being whooshed but that's Al Pacino from The Godfather.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's STILL blowing my goddamn mind that a trans woman was appointed to be the assistant secretary of health, like, one step from THE SECRETARY OF HEALTH FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I genuinely couldn't conceive of something like this happening in my lifetime when I first started getting involved in politics and activism, 20 years ago. Hell, I would have had a lot of trouble believing it two months ago.

But yes, this is clearly some manner of nefarious scheme, meant to lure naive fools such as myself into believing him anything other than the centrist scum we all know him to be.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 22, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's STILL blowing my goddamn mind that a trans woman was appointed to be the assistant secretary of health, like, one step from THE SECRETARY OF HEALTH FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I genuinely couldn't conceive of something like this happening in my lifetime when I first started getting involved in politics and activism, 20 years ago. Hell, I would have had a lot of trouble believing it two months ago.

But yes, this is clearly some manner of nefarious scheme, meant to lure naive fools such as myself into believing him anything other than the centrist scum we all know him to be.

You just don't understand that the Very Smart People at The Nib believe better things aren't possible and therefore you shouldn't either.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm proud of her. And I hate all the dumb loving bigots who go "HAW HAW MAN" about her. She's a better loving person and woman than they could (almost inevitably) ever hope of being a man.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You just don't understand that the Very Smart People at The Nib believe better things aren't possible and therefore you shouldn't either.

Wait, the last cartoon in that vein was a Rall. Neither of those two Nib cartoons say anything close, just that "blue team in charge" isn't a win condition.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EimiYoshikawa posted:

what are you even talking about? When has anyone on the left itt criticized her? I mean, she seems fine policy wise, kinda shady with her whole 'I got my mom out of a nursing home right before we decided to make them take covid people back' thing but she seems to have handled most things fine. I don't see a ton of 'progressive' in her record though, just 'not loving up'.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

escapegoat posted:

Not whooshed, I haven't seen the Godfather and legit thought that was 1970's John Kerrry.

Doonesbury, 1971:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's gonna take a whole lot more to convince me that Biden will fight for actual progress, but it is wild to me that this is where we're at when gay marriage was a grudging acquiescence by Obama towards the end of his second term.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's gonna take a whole lot more to convince me that Biden will fight for actual progress, but it is wild to me that this is where we're at when gay marriage was a grudging acquiescence by Obama towards the end of his second term.

Apparently Biden was more pro-gay and pro-trans than Obama was.

Not trying to make anyone hate Biden less, I'm sure he'll be terrible in other ways, but he's absolutely pro-trans rights and LGBTQ rights in general. If nothing else the next four years are going to be good us folks in that group (unless the republicans find some other way to gently caress things up, which they might), and it's looking like it'll be good for disabled people as well.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What the gently caress are you even talking about here?

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 22, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

oobey posted:

We're going to try making scotch eggs on Saturday. I'm quite looking forward to trying them, they sound good.

I've made them, when I've had the patience, to bring for breakfast at work. Chicken eggs are really a bit too big and unwieldy. It's a bit of pain, but I highly recommend using smaller eggs, I got hand on some quail eggs, and they're bite-sized and perfect. The problem is peeling them after boiling which is just annoying but yeah.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 22, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I didn't know the Scott Pilgrim guy did political cartoons

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Exactly, anyone having any even remotely positive feelings about the transition is betraying The Cause. You should be angry and miserable at all times until the world is 100% perfect.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Moon Slayer posted:

Exactly, anyone having any even remotely positive feelings about the transition is betraying The Cause. You should be angry and miserable at all times until the world is 100% perfect.

It's odd how your post and the comic you're quoting have literally nothing in common with each other.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

oh no the post-apocalypse trump cartoons are spreading

Moon Slayer posted:

This seems a tad uncharitable, I took that comic as being against a certain kind of well-to-do centrist rather than like, anyone slightly hopeful about Biden

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Moon Slayer posted:

Sorry it’s not like the Obama days anymore where we immediately stop criticizing the government cause a Democrat is president.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

You are such a towering dumbass lol

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If nothing else the next four years are going to be good us folks in that group (unless the republicans find some other way to gently caress things up, which they might), and it's looking like it'll be good for disabled people as well.
This is obviously great but if he spends four years trying to get back to "business as usual" rather than adopting popular progressive policies to fundamentally improve life in the US, then the fascist who wins a landslide in 2024 will cause untold damage to these very groups :smith:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sorry it’s not like the Obama days anymore where we immediately stop criticizing the government cause a Democrat is president.

To be fair it is, what, day 2.5? A lot of the Senate stuff and various legalese/bills/etc. are going to take some time in even the best circumstances. I'm pretty happy with the speed at which a lot of the executive orders have been put out, and I'm willing to wait for a couple of weeks for the Senate stuff to be sorted out, with hopefully seeing the filibuster nuked and a good agenda being passed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Angepain posted:

oh no the post-apocalypse trump cartoons are spreading

This seems a tad uncharitable, I took that comic as being against a certain kind of well-to-do centrist rather than like, anyone slightly hopeful about Biden

It seems pretty strawmanny to me. Like, anyone who took a day to celebrate isn't actually saying everything is perfect now and we can stop caring.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
It is the duty of any citizen in a democratic nation to be a complete pain in the rear end for any and all elected officials regardless of party or platform.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair it is, what, day 2.5? A lot of the Senate stuff and various legalese/bills/etc. are going to take some time in even the best circumstances. I'm pretty happy with the speed at which a lot of the executive orders have been put out, and I'm willing to wait for a couple of weeks for the Senate stuff to be sorted out, with hopefully seeing the filibuster nuked and a good agenda being passed.

https://twitter.com/thearabsource/status/1352236837247578113?s=21
To be fair, we get poo poo like this in 2.5 days.

Willatron posted:

It is the duty of any citizen in a democratic nation to be a complete pain in the rear end for any and all elected officials regardless of party or platform.

This. It’s actually starting to possibly work with covid payments and I will not shut the gently caress up.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So the real victory in the gay marriage fight was moderate dems accepting LGTBQ rights as part of the greater pattern of civil rights, and therefore something government is responsible for ensuring. There were a bunch of little bureaucratic changes in the last part of Obama's term as a result of that, that didn't get a lot of coverage because it was in a lull point between conservatives' big loss on marriage/DADT, but before they geared up gay-panic 2- transphobia electric boogaloo.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Stultus Maximus posted:

It seems pretty strawmanny to me. Like, anyone who took a day to celebrate isn't actually saying everything is perfect now and we can stop caring.

I get what you're saying, but I think that it's more of a complaint towards the "we should be at brunch right now" liberals whose motivations were pretty clear even during the Trump administration.

Like yeah there are a bunch of hot leftists takes on twitter claiming that everyone celebrating is a complicit centrist, but the artist of that comic doesn't strike me as that type. It reads as much more of an indictment of the "well, a Democrat's in the White House, we have achieved True Justice, time to not pay attention to politics for four years" crowd.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/thearabsource/status/1352236837247578113?s=21
To be fair, we get poo poo like this in 2.5 days.

This. It’s actually starting to possibly work with covid payments and I will not shut the gently caress up.

We should agitate, but we also shouldn't expect results to be instant and immediate; it will take time for legislation to be written and debated. And frankly, we want the legislation that is passed to be well written and to avoid getting scuppered by the supreme court if at all possible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I get what you're saying, but I think that it's more of a complaint towards the "we should be at brunch right now" liberals whose motivations were pretty clear even during the Trump administration.

Like yeah there are a bunch of hot leftists takes on twitter claiming that everyone celebrating is a complicit centrist, but the artist of that comic doesn't strike me as that type. It reads as much more of an indictment of the "well, a Democrat's in the White House, we have achieved True Justice, time to not pay attention to politics for four years" crowd.

Also the mainstream media. Most of them aren’t even reporting things like the Biden admin immediately sending troops into Iraq and Syria.

Dirk the Average posted:

We should agitate, but we also shouldn't expect results to be instant and immediate; it will take time for legislation to be written and debated. And frankly, we want the legislation that is passed to be well written and to avoid getting scuppered by the supreme court if at all possible.

Be like me, agitate and not expect results.:feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've made them, when I've had the patience, to bring for breakfast at work. Chicken eggs are really a bit too big and unwieldy. It's a bit of pain, but I highly recommend using smaller eggs, I got hand on some quail eggs, and they're bite-sized and perfect. The problem is peeling them after boiling which is just annoying but yeah.

If your problem is the size, the simpler method is to make what are sometimes called egg savouries. They're basically the same as a Scotch egg, but instead of using a whole boiled egg in each you mince up the boiled egg and use it as a filling for a smaller parcel.