Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Not a doctor but will hazard a layman opinion that higher transmissibility leads to more virus floating around indoor spaces, causing higher viral loads in infected people, causing worse outcomes for infected.

Wear masks open windows.

Yeah. It's just without that explanation linking it to transmissibility it makes it sound like a secondary killer mutation rather than a natural consequence of higher transmissibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I remember seeing a thing that said if there are two people, one of which has covid and the other doesn't:

If only the person without covid wears a mask, they have a 30% lower chance of catching it.

If only the person with covid wears a mask, the person without has a 95% lower chance of catching it.

If both wear masks, the person without covid has a 98.5% lower chance of catching it.

So in any case you're much better off wearing a mask, but by far the greatest protection for you is if other people are wearing masks... and even if you're in a space where everybody is wearing masks, you're still best off trying to stay the hell away from people and spend as little time there as possible.

E: Yeah it was from here I think: https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemorgan/2020/06/28/5-ways-to-deal-with-customers-who-dont-want-to-wear-masks/?sh=786589df8a75

Also I've seen new guidance after the new variant has come out that says that double-masking is better and more necessary now and you should definitely definitely spend as little time in the presence of others as possible - a 5 minute supermarket trip is much better than a 30-minute one.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 22, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

hooman posted:

"Oh I did it for my children and my childrens children."

What a weak loving excuse. You know who wanted to remain? Young people, maybe you should have listened to your children and your children's children and respected what they wanted.

I'm optimistic that his children's children's children might benefit. A future where the UK is just a small island with no real power in Europe or the wider world is surely better than one where the UK gets to keep on pretending it's still an empire and throw its weight around through force of tradition.

Bit of a long term plan though.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

This is what my partner's grandad did and I have a lot of respect for it. He said he wanted to leave based on his personal preferences/upbringing but knew it would only affect the last years of his life, so he asked his grandkids what they thought would be better for them and voted remain.

Both my parents voted Leave. In fairness to my Dad he didn't say he voted that way for the sake of his kids (he was a democracy/sovereignty/creeping federalism sort of Leaver), but when both me and my sister expressed our disappointment/disagreement (my sis much more vehemently than me) he did say that he wishes he had asked us for our opinions before the vote, given how we have to live with the long term result and as a retired person with no mortgage and a generous public sector pension he is essentially immune to any negative effects. Which is nice and all, Dad, but not all that useful when you're saying this three days after the referendum.

My Mum on the other hand says she primarily voted Leave for our sakes because she thinks the EU will collapse in the next decade and descend either into Venezuela-style economic collapse or Yugoslavia-style violent collapse. She refuses to say why she thinks this, other than the curiously specific and unbidden denial that she got all this from the Daily Mail...which makes me think she secretly reads the Daily Mail. Anyway, she now thinks that any voicing of an opinion that Brexit has further screwed her offspring's already-majorly-fuckes future, that if any entity is likely to suffer complete breakdown in the next decade it's the UK not the EU, or that if she really wanted to cast her vote on her childrens' behalf she should, y'know, asked them what they thought, as extreme ungratefulness, intransigence and naivety on our part. She's still genuinely hurt that we don't see Brexit as a sort of gift or act of benevolence to us from her.

Yes, she was born slap bang in the middle of the Baby Boomer era, why do you ask?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

It may be to fool sniffer dogs. Stephen King, who by his own admission has a great deal of first nostril experience with cocaine, says the really good stuff leaves a banana scent.

Well they're in airtight containers without oxygen (normally nitrogen and 10% carbon dioxide) to stop them ripening in transit, so like I say opening one up so a sniffer dog can get a whiff isn't a routine thing.

However I did always wonder what cocaine smells like (I've never done it myself because I'm already enough of a dickhead, I don't need any chemical assistance) so thanks for that info.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

However I did always wonder what cocaine smells like (I've never done it myself because I'm already enough of a dickhead, I don't need any chemical assistance) so thanks for that info.

Your average coke smells like nothing and leaves a fairly bitter aftertaste in the back of your nasal cavity that can take a few minutes of snorting and a few sips of your pint to fade. An okay thing to do a few times when you're young and stupid but extremely sad in your mid-30s, and definitely a lower fun:price ratio than warhams or posting on a forum

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Failed Imagineer posted:

extremely sad in your mid-30s, and definitely a lower fun:price ratio than warhams

never touched coke in my life but touched plenty warhammer and i loved this excerpt

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
no drug could give the same high that can be got from posting online with your forums pals

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If the really good stuff smells like bananas then I would assume the really good stuff is smuggled with bananas over them inherently activating the olfactory buds which create the bananary smell.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

One of my mates is likely to be allergic to cocaine... either that or his dad has played a blinder.

His dad said that they gave it to him once as an anaesthetic in hospital (which, yes, is a thing they can do) and he had a really bad reaction, and "If you do any drugs, please absolutely do not do coke because you're quite likely to die".

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

One of my mates is likely to be allergic to cocaine... either that or his dad has played a blinder.

His dad said that they gave it to him once as an anaesthetic in hospital (which, yes, is a thing they can do) and he had a really bad reaction, and "If you do any drugs, please absolutely do not do coke because you're quite likely to die".

straight onto the heroin, then

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Good coke smells like a petrol station

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

BalloonFish posted:

My Mum on the other hand says she primarily voted Leave for our sakes because she thinks the EU will collapse in the next decade and descend either into Venezuela-style economic collapse or Yugoslavia-style violent collapse.

your ma helped give the UK a head start on both :laugh:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jakabite posted:

Good coke smells like a petrol station

bloody love the smell of petrol, whats the downside

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I can totally recommend doing a line of Valhallan Ice Warriors

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

In my opinion, cocaine is fun do do, and feels good when you put it all up in your nose like.

It does have a very slight but recognisable smell (that I spontaneously remember and feel wistful over regularly, my god my early 20s were a mess). The "foam banana" thing is a bit of a stretch, but I guess I can kinda see it?

Haven't done any in years, but would do again maybe, idk. Street stuff is horrible though, and getting it involves hanging around with dickheads so eh

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

This is what my partner's grandad did and I have a lot of respect for it. He said he wanted to leave based on his personal preferences/upbringing but knew it would only affect the last years of his life, so he asked his grandkids what they thought would be better for them and voted remain.
My gran in law and sister in law do this. They basically don't know, but trust that my wife and I seem to know what we're on about and are passionate about the right things, so generally ask us who to vote for.

My parents have always voted against the tories, so even with Keith at the helm they'll probably still vote labour.

My father in law has gone full farage though. Just before xmas he tried to be relatable and tell us how it's not fair young people like us (I'm 40) can't afford houses because immigrants come over and get given a house and a grand a week benefits. I mean where the gently caress do you even start with that?

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah, there's supposedly a percentage of people where your heart just nopes out. There's a chapter in Marilyn Manson's* autobiography where he mentions it during a story about doing some bad coke, going into tachycardia in a cab and then waking up in hospital being told he technically died. In his case it was down to too much coke too regularly, but some people just instantly get that reaction apparently.

I was very surprised to find out how many of my friends at uni had used / regularly used coke.

*Yes, I was a teenager once.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I never did a drug except weed (ok I guess but cannot imagine paying for it on the reg, just made me giggle a bit then get palpitations) and poppers (good for jacking it if you get a good batch but too easy to build a tolerance so you just feel slightly nauseous but lose the buzz), booze does me just fine. Coke never really interested me. Will probably have to try heroin once when I'm on my death bed because I hear it feels loving brilliant, mind.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gorn Myson posted:

There's no way Brexiters will interpret these negative consequences as anything other than "the EU is punishing us".

One might as well drive home the fact then that yes they can. Because the EU is strong and they are weak. They seem to approve of that kind of moral.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

His Divine Shadow posted:

One might as well drive home the fact then that yes they can. Because the EU is strong and they are weak. They seem to approve of that kind of moral.

Yeah 'they will act in their own interests, which no longer involves our interests' isn't a hard message to convey. Doesn't work, mind.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

His Divine Shadow posted:

you'll find they're exactly the same loving people who think getting kicked out of a pub for being a gobshite is an infringement of their human rights lol

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gorn Myson posted:

There's no way Brexiters will interpret these negative consequences as anything other than "the EU is punishing us".
"That guy's a lot bigger than me, I should go punch him"
*gets beaten senseless*
"Man, what an rear end in a top hat, just goes to show what a good decision I made punching him :smug:"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Coke is fun, but way too overpriced.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Working in the Criminal Justice system, I came into a lot of contact with people who had cocaine addictions. (Also other addicts, mostly alcohol or tablets but a fair number of cocaine users.)

And I always felt sorry for them, because I have a huge problem with addictive behavior myself and I firmly believe that if I ever got into anything with a chemical component myself I'd be toast.
And they were either in denial about it or they would accept it and be trying to look for help.

The one thing I saw in them was despite how often they were portrayed as evil people in media growing up, I rarely got that impression in real life. Almost always they were people who had been through a lot of poo poo and just needed help. And that's what I would try and do.

I think the best example of it was one summer I was one of the only barristers on call. So I ended up representing a lot of people as one of the only lawyers in the courtroom when most lawyers were on their hollybobs.

One week I represented the same client three times, back to back.
He went to his mums house (where she had a barring order against him) and he broke into the house, she'd call the cops. He'd be brought to court. And everytime I talked to him I asked him if he had a drugs problem and he said no.
By the third time, even I couldn't do anything and he was refused bail. That was when he broke down and saw that he had a problem and he had to accept that before he could do anything to fix that.

Cases like that were why I had a lot of sympathy for drugs addicts.

I then contrast that with reading about stories of people who recreationally used drugs (like coke.) but stopped during recession because "they couldn't afford to." Which also had the implicit meaning that when they had more disposable income they would go back to it.
And that's the kind of person that makes me see red.
Seeing so many people who get destroyed by this stuff because they can't control themselves when they use it. And knowing that there are people who can use it and not let it completely destroy them because of some genetic quirk or whatever just feels unfair on a near cosmic level. I was reminded of this when I was listening to the Podcast talk about Jeff Bezos/Elon Musk and comparing the whole "this is what the rich waste their money on. And this is what poor children in Britain get to eat."

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Honestly it isn’t a generic quirk - sure some people might be more susceptible than others but it’s generally a case of what else is going on in your life and the environment you’re in. If you can be happy outside of the scene that encourages you to do it regularly, and have other fulfilling things, it’s no more addictive in the medium term than booze. I think the image of the mad coke addict comes from the extreme addictiveness while you’re on it. When you’re on a sesh you’ll go to a lot of trouble to get more and not let it end, but for myself and most people I know once it’s done it’s done. It only ever became a problem for me when I was in a scene where it was a natural accompaniment to booze without much exception and to be honest the only major downside was on my wallet. I never considered doing it as part of normal life, there was just a period where if you were on the piss you’d obviously be getting a bag or two. And to be fair that was an extremely fun part of my life.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
There is also the unfortunate moral element of recreational drugs, notably weed but especially coke, which is the amount of blood and or tears you will have on your hands by being a participant in the market place.

It's a lot less pleasurable putting poo poo up your nose when you consider that, somewhere in Latin America, someone's probably had their head cut off for the sake of your cash.

Or rolling up a zoot and knowing that the green inside has been farmed by a Vietnamese child in a BTL property in Croydon.

Both of these would be solved by decriminalisation/legalisation and ending the war on drugs, but we're still a long way from that here.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Will probably have to try heroin once when I'm on my death bed because I hear it feels loving brilliant, mind.

Haha same. I don't wanna go through life and not try all these crazy drugs, but yeah, heroin is gonna have to wait until I don't have any life left to ruin with it

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

Will probably have to try heroin once when I'm on my death bed because I hear it feels loving brilliant, mind.

I have not had heroin but I have had codeine (just as a regular OTC painkiller, which I was using as such - not recreationally) which is the mildest opiate and it is just lovely. I have to be mindful of not taking too many and getting addicted cause I can see how that would be very easy.

The best way I can describe it is that when it kicks in it feels like sinking into the comfiest chair you've ever known, after you've spent all day hiking in the pissing rain and cold. Just a huge feeling of relaxation, calmness, and aches and pains fading away - including ones you didn't even realise you had. There's a mild "floaty" sensation too which comes with the relaxation. Also it makes you feel a bit drowsy. I don't know if codeine has these effects on everybody or if I'm just particularly susceptible to it.

I've just been reading a bit and it seems like herion is mostly the same but amped up, and also (often?) comes with a euphoria which I've not really experienced with codeine.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I only drink now but I've used drugs recreationally when I was younger, and whatever anyone wants to put in their body as long as it's a free choice, it's all cool, you do you.

But I've been around people that have coke habits and I've never seen anything turn someone into the absolute worst version of themselves like that can. It's like an amplifier for everything I hate about the dark recesses of the soul and people's unchecked impulses when they're let loose. I say that having grown up with an alcoholic dad, but at least alcohol dulls as it effects people. Everyone I've known who did coke had a sharp, lucid malevolence come out of them that I found completely terrifying and I would never ever touch it in a million years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

Honestly it isn’t a generic quirk - sure some people might be more susceptible than others but it’s generally a case of what else is going on in your life and the environment you’re in. If you can be happy outside of the scene that encourages you to do it regularly, and have other fulfilling things, it’s no more addictive in the medium term than booze.
Probably less so, because most of the other drugs won't send you into deadly seizures if you suddenly stop using them after long term use (some of the shittier benzos aside).

But yeah, social and environmental factors are huge, that's why John Marks idea of giving out prescription heroin worked so well. There seems to be a sad fact that if you're marked as an addict then everyone from dealers to police has a free pass to take the piss, which excludes you from society, and social exclusion is a big factor in addiction, so it spirals. If you've enough disposable income to buy your way around most of that then you're at a lower (but not zero, the wealthy can be empty shells in other ways) risk of addiction in the first place.

But if you've got a prescription and a supportive medical environment then half the work in stopping the harmful spirals is already done. The stats for people that just got bored of heroin once it became a clinical intervention rather than something tied to a harmful social circle make for interesting reading, as does the WHO report on cocaine that got shitcanned because it didn't come to the conclusion that the DEA wanted.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

I have not had heroin but I have had codeine (just as a regular OTC painkiller, which I was using as such - not recreationally) which is the mildest opiate and it is just lovely. I have to be mindful of not taking too many and getting addicted cause I can see how that would be very easy.

The best way I can describe it is that when it kicks in it feels like sinking into the comfiest chair you've ever known, after you've spent all day hiking in the pissing rain and cold. Just a huge feeling of relaxation, calmness, and aches and pains fading away - including ones you didn't even realise you had. There's a mild "floaty" sensation too which comes with the relaxation. Also it makes you feel a bit drowsy. I don't know if codeine has these effects on everybody or if I'm just particularly susceptible to it.

I've just been reading a bit and it seems like herion is mostly the same but amped up, and also (often?) comes with a euphoria which I've not really experienced with codeine.

I smoked it with a homeless guy once. Let’s just say I can see how people ruin their lives over it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

WhatEvil posted:

I don't know if codeine has these effects on everybody or if I'm just particularly susceptible to it.

I have had codeine and noticed nothing like this at all, sadly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

I have a really nasty reaction to opiates, even a single cocodamol will leave me puking and dizzy and then knock me out for a few hours of horrifying nightmares. I strongly suspect this is why I was never able to get into jazz.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Codeine's highly variable in how fast your liver converts it into morphine, so some people can find it habit (or nausea) inducing and others get no pain relief at all.

It's mostly common due to a perception that people will seek out more efficacious opioids for non-medical use though, despite the variable nature, so that all ties back into an increased aversion (or opiophobia as some would put it) since the days of the British System.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I was doing coke every day for a few years when I was much younger, hosed my brain up very badly and ended up getting committed, and just... stopped. No problems at all (brain problems, obv, but no problems stopping). When I came out of hospital, I actually found it much harder to stop smoking weed than I did to come off cocaine.

I have tried heroin a few times, it feels really nice & imo WhatEvil's guess is pretty accurate. Not a huge fan myself because I'm kind of an intense person & like a good rush better than just getting out of myself, but yeah, for its target audience I can totally see the appeal.

A guy I used to go clubbing with when I was too young to legally go clubbing used to be able to get opium, which is very nice indeed to take the edge off after an evening of [other]. Problem with uppers is that you don't generally get to end the evening on a good note, which opium just totally fixes, all the negative consequences vanish along with everything else. As with everything I've ever done though, probably don't do that.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's strange. I've gone through life with a broken brain and i'm still waiting for the drug that will make me feel normal and not hosed up.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

co-codamol had a bit of an effect on me, but given every time I took it it was so I could lie down and have someone fry my facial hair folicles with electricity for an hour I didn't have much chance to appreciate it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, I think the problem with all uppers is that eventually the high has to end, and it doesn't end with you passing out.

There are few more jading experiences than coming down off an all night MD sesh when other people around you are still high as kites, and talking about how we're all connected etc. Because you feel like Mark on that episode of Peep Show, but you also know that an hour ago you were saying the same inane poo poo as them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
"turn your music down, you can stop smoking your drugs, i'm making tea and toast and putting radio 4 on, everythings normal"