Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

No, they would go "why did you show Bryan Cranston taking a poo poo instead of Godzilla loving poo poo up" and that is worthy of mockery 4 years later and Capcom agreed by never doing that again.

e: The Godzilla comparison is actually completely on point because the 2014 trailer is like "here's 2 minutes of humans running around with Godzilla from the neck up for 3 seconds" and the King of the Monsters trailer is like "Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan FRONT AND CENTER WE KNOW WHY YOU'RE HERE"

Did people complain the 98 godzilla advertising didn't push godzilla? Asking because I was like 9. It may have been revealed ahead of time but I just remember ominous stomping

Either way it's always going to be hilarious that people saw a teaser and slam fired that opinion. Meanwhile they don't think PT was just going to be an entire game of hallway simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Jack's 55th Birthday was one of the biggest ear-to-ear grins I've ever had while gaming

Ethan Must Die was cool but not really my genre of choice

Nightmare managed to make the admittedly not-so-great enemy variety into a decently fun action game

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

End of Zoe, Jack's 55th Birthday, 21, Bedroom, and Daughters are so great in entirely different ways. Family horror is my favorite genre and Daughters struck a chord, I just wish it could have had more build up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kinda want to replay RE7 for the second time this year, if only I can make myself remember Ethan's magic blocking technique for once.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

Did people complain the 98 godzilla advertising didn't push godzilla? Asking because I was like 9. It may have been revealed ahead of time but I just remember ominous stomping

Either way it's always going to be hilarious that people saw a teaser and slam fired that opinion. Meanwhile they don't think PT was just going to be an entire game of hallway simulator

Yep! The foot crashing through the museum was parodied and the Puff Daddy/Taco Bell commercials as well because they showed more of the monster than any trailer lol. And then there's this 3 minutes of solid gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDUf9oWK36A

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Yep! The foot crashing through the museum was parodied and the Puff Daddy/Taco Bell commercials as well because they showed more of the monster than any trailer lol. And then there's this 3 minutes of solid gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDUf9oWK36A

So did people think Godzilla 98 wasn't going to have the monster?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

So did people think Godzilla 98 wasn't going to have the monster?

Did people think Godzilla 1998 wasn't going to have a monster? No, the monster was always there.

Did people think Godzilla 1998 was going to be a Rolan Emmerich disaster film instead of a Godzilla film? Yes, from day one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, anyone who thought that RE7 would not feature combat was a moron and nothing they say should be considered an argument or a valid comparison for anything. Because it's drat Resident Evil game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They're definitely not making Resident: the Evil Descent.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Did people think Godzilla 1998 wasn't going to have a monster? No, the monster was always there.

Did people think Godzilla 1998 was going to be a Rolan Emmerich disaster film instead of a Godzilla film? Yes, from day one.

So what makes Godzilla different from Resident Evil? I'm just trying to understand the logic because

Cardiovorax posted:

. Because it's drat Resident Evil game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i thought RE7 being combat-free was plausible because the of the trailers' aesthetic and because it was released near the peak of the amnesia/outlast run n' hide trend. i just didn't mind it because i hated RE6 so so much that any change in direction was welcome

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, anyone who thought that RE7 would not feature combat was a moron and nothing they say should be considered an argument or a valid comparison for anything. Because it's drat Resident Evil game.

I was completely out of horror games when RE7 was announced so I didn’t see anyone legitimately argue the game would have no combat. The question was always “how much?” Would it be RE1 or RE6 and Capcom dodged the question until they revealed the molded one week before release and they never repeated this mistake again lol.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i thought RE7 being combat-free was plausible because the of the trailers' aesthetic and because it was released near the peak of the amnesia/outlast run n' hide trend. i just didn't mind it because i hated RE6 so so much that any change in direction was welcome

Not only that but multiple parts are run and hide! I think when people pejoratively compare it to Outlast they’re actually thinking of Layers of Fear which has zero interactive danger elements unlike Outlast which is no different from the intro segment when you’re being chased by Jack or the video where you’re chased by Margeurite or the puzzle narrative section where you’re trapped in the Saw puzzle, RE7 undeniably took inspiration from the Amnesia derived horror games but the question from the first demo released after Outlast 2 was “how much” not “is there any?”

Capcom’s answer to that question was “more than RE1, less than RE6” which is the press equivalent of Verizon saying their time frame is 8am to 8pm on a workday.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 22, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Still, it was overall a very stupid conclusion to come to. RE games that feature you running away from persistent enemies were made long before RE7 - RE2 and RE3 come to mind. RE games that involve no combat at all (as Outlast does) have never been made and there was no reason to expect they'd start now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Considering banned footage, RE7 did Outlast harder than Outlast 2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure we should count DLC for the purposes of this, but honestly, doing Outlast better than Outlast 2 is not a high bar to measure up to.

(Because Outlast 2 was garbage, you see.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Even within the base game the moments where you explore other horror tropes in small vignettes are superior to other games that put all their eggs in a single basket (Outlast) or stretch it thin (Alien) and the final sections are kind of lame only because they forget this balance as the game turns into Half-Life for its final hour.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, you won't hear me disagreeing! RE7 is overall a very good game that I like a lot. I just find it very silly and funny what kind of game people imagined it might be based on a few short promotional demos.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hi just wanted to hop in to say nobody cares about this argument except you two and I'd rather we actually talk about RE8 and stuff like "why is Chris kidnapping a baby" or "how the gently caress do any of these vampire ladies work within the context of viruses" than relitigating the loving RE7 demo for t he twentieth goddamn time

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

Hi just wanted to hop in to say nobody cares about this argument except you two and I'd rather we actually talk about RE8 and stuff like "why is Chris kidnapping a baby" or "how the gently caress do any of these vampire ladies work within the context of viruses" than relitigating the loving RE7 demo for t he twentieth goddamn time

That will never happen

And RE also has parasites so it isn't strictly viruses

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

and Mold!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Resident Evil has a very logical progression from Viruses to Flesh-Eating Zombies to Magical Opera Leeches to Blood-Drinking Virus Women, if you think about it with enough alcohol in your bloodstream.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Resident Evil will officially be rebooted once it goes Onmyodo mystic magic where M Bison rips a whole into Onimusha timeline and Jill is joined by Dante and Jean Reno.

And in better news

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1352658897178394624?s=21

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The dumbest thing in resident evil is that Chris redfield called the anti-umbrella task force umbrella.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What I want to know is WHERE IS MY PC DEMO.

al-azad posted:

The dumbest thing in resident evil is that Chris redfield called the anti-umbrella task force umbrella.

He's receiving a boatload of funding from umbrella makers to put a positive spin on the word again. Raincoat makers are eating their lunch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
god dammit it would have been great if the taskforce was called RAINCOAT

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want resident evil xcom and/or dungeon keeper.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Pyrolocutus posted:

What I want to know is WHERE IS MY PC DEMO.
Have they announced it for PC at all?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

god dammit it would have been great if the taskforce was called RAINCOAT

The other taskforces are PARKA, SLICKER, and PARASOL. Parasol is revealed to be evil all along.

I just wrote Hideo Kojima's Resident Evil.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

The only constant in Chris's character, which is reinvented every time Chris appears, is that Chris is a monumentally stupid man.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

Unbrella was right there :sigh:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've only ever played Revelations 1, the raid mode was a lot of fun but I think it was only the Revelations games that had them and the other RE games had Mercenaries modes instead. What are Mercenaries modes exactly? I know you have a similar setup of picking different characters and fighting enemies but I don't know what the difference is, if any, between the Raid and Mercenaries modes are.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mercenaries is an arena score attack arcade mode.

Raid is more like the traditional linear room based modes that spun off Hunk/Tofu.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I know this isn't exactly a hot take, but Lady Dimitrescu has a FANTASTIC design. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what kind of crazy monster she inevitably turns into during the second round of her boss fight.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/BaniraKohi/status/1352711527736946696?s=19

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Other than the ghost in Fatal Frame 5 I can't think of any other absurdly tall women enemies which is a shame, it's an unusual uncanny aesthetic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Other than the ghost in Fatal Frame 5 I can't think of any other absurdly tall women enemies which is a shame, it's an unusual uncanny aesthetic.

They're practically ripping themselves off at this point :v:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I didn't play Outlast 2 but wasn't one of the villains in it a very tall woman?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There was a tall lady with a scythe that chopped your balls off if she caught you. But she wasn't so tall as to be like "Whoa that lady's tall" the way the RE8 lady is.

EDIT: Also she didn't have giant gazongas which significantly cuts down on the "please step on me horror mommy" factor

1stGear fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrSnakeLaser posted: