Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Re: olympics, people are kind of combining some distinct arguments and talking past each other.

1) was the 1964 Olympics popular among Japanese
2) is the 2020 Olympics popular among Japanese
3) was the 1964 Olympics an important historical happening for Japan as part of showing its recovery from the war and advancement and showcasing itself to the world
4) will the 202(1) Olympics do the same to an extent to justify the cost and now potential COVID issues

Basically the answers are:
1) no
2) no
3) yes
4) maybe, probably not

A lot of the back and forth here I think regards conflations of 1 and 3, which is to say that at the time the 1964 Olympics wasn’t of much interest to Japanese laypeople, but it was in reality an important moment of development in Japan where Japan used the opportunity to rapidly modernize its infrastructure, and anyone well-read in history is aware of that. In that sense of someone “doesn’t care” about the 1964 Olympics nowadays, depending how it’s worded it just means they don’t know much about history. Many Americans et al also “don’t care” about lots of significant historical events, but that doesn’t mean that they weren’t indeed significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I care about the 1964 Olympics because that park is where I go jogging.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

How does everyone reconcile the ridiculously popular ticket lotteries (obviously prior to COVID) with your anecdotal claims that Japanese people don’t care about the 2020 Olympics?

There are always people who claim not to care about big events, but I think all the people putting money down to be a part of it shows that yes, there was (and perhaps still is) a lot of interest.

EDIT:
70% were looking forward to it according to this 2019 survey
https://www.linebiz.com/jp/column/research/20191121/

60% interested according to this 2018 survey
https://www.cross-m.co.jp/report/sports/to20180329/

In this September 2020 survey, 64% still wanted the Olympics to be held next year
https://chosa.itmedia.co.jp/categories/entertainment/106670

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 29, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DiscoJ posted:

How does everyone reconcile the ridiculously popular ticket lotteries (obviously prior to COVID) with your anecdotal claims that Japanese people don’t care about the 2020 Olympics?

There are always people who claim not to care about big events, but I think all the people putting money down to be a part of it shows that yes, there was (and perhaps still is) a lot of interest.

EDIT:
70% were looking forward to it according to this 2019 survey
https://www.linebiz.com/jp/column/research/20191121/

60% interested according to this 2018 survey
https://www.cross-m.co.jp/report/sports/to20180329/

In this September 2020 survey, 64% still wanted the Olympics to be held next year
https://chosa.itmedia.co.jp/categories/entertainment/106670

From your source

quote:

興味ありが半数を超えているものの、高いわけではないという印象です。

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Exactly. I mean, it's already decided that the Olympics would be held and as far as the once-every-four-years-international-sports-competition aspect goes, it's kind of neat, so why not "look forward to it"?

The poo poo parts of the Olympics is generally opaque to most people so there's not going to be a lot of people who are like "aw hell naw." I don't see why people saying "they look forward to it" necessarily means anything other than "sure, cool."

vvv that's exactly the kind of sentiment I mean, yeah.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 29, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The sentiment I got was overwhelmingly, if it's gonna be here I guess we might as well go.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There were articles about how high demand was when the ticket lotteries opened and don’t forget a ‘second-chance’ lottery was held for people who tried and completely whiffed the first time around. I know, because I was in the second lottery!

But estimating 7-10 million accounts trying to get tickets? You could say that’s huge demand, or in a nation of 125 million plus people it’s not much.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

I will be physically encountering a poo poo part of the Olympics on the train actually.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to participate in the Olympics of going to Japan and eating poo poo and walking around looking at stuff.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Stringent posted:

The sentiment I got was overwhelmingly, if it's gonna be here I guess we might as well go.

Yeah, big events always attract such temporary fans. I saw many and was one myself during the Rugby World Cup last year. It still means something that these people don’t just ignore it though.

harperdc posted:

But estimating 7-10 million accounts trying to get tickets? You could say that’s huge demand, or in a nation of 125 million plus people it’s not much.

Comparing it to other sporting and spectator events or to other host countries in their host years would be fairer than looking at it as a proportion of the population.

LimburgLimbo posted:

From your source

Yeah, I don’t dispute that. Around me that’s been the picture too, but relatively speaking, i think it is still on the high side of popularity. I mean, if you’re saying the Olympics are not popular, is there any sporting event that is?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Comparing it to other sporting and spectator events or to other host countries in their host years would be fairer than looking at it as a proportion of the population.

I know, was providing an out for anyone who wanted to say interest is low :v: and from those articles it suggested this is way ahead of the pace for Rio 2016 and comparable to London 2012, which makes sense. The Rugby was also really well attended and that’s for a more niche sport. The 2002 World Cup was super well attended. Japan enjoys this sort of thing, I suppose.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Waltzing Along posted:

I want to participate in the Olympics of going to Japan and eating poo poo and walking around looking at stuff.

:same:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've won gold medals at it 4/4 times, it's good.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Since I said the thing that caused all the yelling I feel the need to intervene. I heard Tokyo has good ramen, what’s a good ramen place in Tokyo?? Which karaage is better, lawsons or family mart??

Easy: 7-Eleven frozen karaage was the best until they switched to a different supplier, and now it comes in huge chunks with lots of connective tissue and it’s the worst. Conversely Family Mart frozen karaage used to be the worst because it had a weird smell and texture, but then they completely flipped it with another supplier and it became drat near izakaya quality. The tare sauce ones from Family Mart are good too. I don’t eat the hot case ones.

Please let me know if you have any questions about convenience store frozen fried chicken. Thanks and may god bless your mess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

*emphatically takes notes*

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

finally a chance to use al those new years' wishes line stickers

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Happy new year, whoever’s actually over there!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
An older pic from earlier in the year but still amusing. Happy New Year!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

All that work and they mess up the title, god drat

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
あけましておめでとうございます!!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Who knows, I might be able to visit Japan this year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll probably wait until May-ish to book my flight but I’m still optimistically hoping for a mid October trip. But it costs me nothing to be optimistic and it’s fun to plan trips :)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i definitely want to visit, i want to avoid olympics season though so if i can visit in spring i will, it depends on how easy it is to get in, i really want to just book 2 weeks in an onsen or something

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Depending on the vaccination situation will go, I'd definitely like to visit around May or June and hopefully have some job interviews. Otherwrise I'll probably do a repeat of 2 years ago and just spend Halloween/November in Tokyo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think coming in from overseas on a tourist visa in spring is really, really optimistic.

which is bringing us back around to Olympics chat and how likely that is to be impacted :v:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Alright which of you is this

Show yourselves, colonizers

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I don't know about everything leading up to it but that description of some of the English teachers that I met in Japan is definitely accurate.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know about everything leading up to it but that description of some of the English teachers that I met in Japan is definitely accurate.

Yeah, I've got a set image of ESL teachers in my head and that ticked a few bits.

I mean, I did a year of ESL myself when NZ ran out of jobs post-2010 to add to the hypocrisy, never again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i was an english teacher for a year and a half, ive only met a tiny handful of other teachers. only one was creepy, but more because he had an extremely shallow instagram type of personality to the point where he'd recycle starbucks cups and pour regular coffee in them "for the look"

most of the others were alright. also none of them had "culturally submissed" wives, we all chose our wives based on how much theyd beat the poo poo out of us, more being better

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol, wait'll they get a load of the finance guys

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

lol, wait'll they get a load of the finance guys

bUt tHeY'vE gOt A rEaL jOb

(and cocaine)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Irony is that "so privileged they can enjoy being both the oppressor and the minority depending on the day" is an accusation that can leveled at the Japanese pretty well, as well

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I kinda feel like I missed out because basically every teacher I met was normal and interested in education and treated it like a real job they wanted to excel in for the kids. I've enjoyed hearing stories about the burnouts but I never get to see it myself.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I kinda feel like I missed out because basically every teacher I met was normal and interested in education and treated it like a real job they wanted to excel in for the kids. I've enjoyed hearing stories about the burnouts but I never get to see it myself.

I was lucky that my time in the countryside didn't include any real train wrecks in my immediate experience, and for the most part everybody was some shade of normal, but the real outliers were weeeiiiiird.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

yeah most of my coworkers seemed really into teaching, im still doing it at home too because i found i kind of liked doing it

i worked at a small school though where every teacher had a celta, maybe the stories come from the big chain schools like gaba where it's just 19 year old dropout monolinguals?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
On one hand I want to give this whole ALT thing a shot since it seems both interesting and a viable road to moving to Japan, but on the other hand I've never done any kind of teaching job and I'd rather not gently caress up kids views of Western people just cause I'm a huge fuckup.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Archer666 posted:

On one hand I want to give this whole ALT thing a shot since it seems both interesting and a viable road to moving to Japan, but on the other hand I've never done any kind of teaching job and I'd rather not gently caress up kids views of Western people just cause I'm a huge fuckup.

You seem to have some self-awareness so you’re in the 95th percentile already.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, the people I know who did it after university are now teachers here, one of my best friends even brought back a husband. They were all JET though, and from what I understand their requirements tend to be more strict than other outfits.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Archer666 posted:

You should do what I did - get a cert of some kind (I got a CELTA) and even better, find your local Centro Latino Americano and volunteer/sit in on/assist, some of the free ESL classes they undoubtedly teach there. I did it just to get some experience and resume cred, they were way way way more than happy to have someone to spread the work load, let alone who *wanted* to be there. After the third week I got called in to just teach that week's class because the person who was doing it semi-compulsory was busy. It helps to get some experience and it looks good to employers, plus you can actually get a taste of teaching and won't be so nervous when you move to Japan or wherever.

Teaching isn't that bad. It's definitely not something with much of a future, career-wise, usually - but you could do it for the rest of your life if you really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you've been watching Alice in Borderlands on netflix, what did you think of the Shibuya shot before the credits in the first ep?

I'm still trying to figure out how they did it. The obvious answer is a set + CGI. I mean, there's no way they could do it on location, is there?

And if you haven't watched/started watching it: do it. It's great.