Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Vega/Claw/originally his draft name was Wakizashi; they knew they wanted ninja+matador and ended up going way more matador

lol it's literally Robin Mask from Kinnikuman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's a stretch.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
good god, there it is.

https://twitter.com/Sam_the_SaImon/status/1352318212323598339

https://twitter.com/Sam_the_SaImon/status/1352319217622786052

i remember seeing that sunset image in a mag and my imagination running wild with possibilities of the expanse of OoT

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 22, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
some more trying to recreate old screenshots.

https://twitter.com/Sam_the_SaImon/status/1352336581827448841

https://twitter.com/Sam_the_SaImon/status/1352345371968737280

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1352320235546804226

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1352323693616234503

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1352346512735543297

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1352305717991116800

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This thread could probably use a rename to be a general discussion on beta discoveries/cut content and stuff like that. The OoT stuff is pretty cool and with the leaks dying down for now, it's as good a time as any to expand the content of the thread a bit.

Someone come up with a good thread title and I'll pester the mods to change it (or if any mods/IKs are following this thread, feel free to do so yourselves!).

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Hope these assets can be added to ROM hacks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, shifting this into a genral Cutting Room Floor thread would probably bring in a wealth of new people amd discussions, I'd be all for it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

cirus posted:

Hope these assets can be added to ROM hacks!

They probably won't be because then that gives Nintendo a justification for taking down the hack since it contains their intellectual property. Rom hacks avoid this issue by patching an existing rom, so they don't actually contain anything made by Nintendo.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, shifting this into a genral Cutting Room Floor thread would probably bring in a wealth of new people amd discussions, I'd be all for it.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some non-Nintendo stuff too. For instance, the Sonic beta that dropped on New Years.

I spend hours cruising around TCRF because it's all just so interesting!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Someone playing through the OoT stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4Iv0i5zB8

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Mega64 posted:

This thread could probably use a rename to be a general discussion on beta discoveries/cut content and stuff like that. The OoT stuff is pretty cool and with the leaks dying down for now, it's as good a time as any to expand the content of the thread a bit.

Someone come up with a good thread title and I'll pester the mods to change it (or if any mods/IKs are following this thread, feel free to do so yourselves!).

I read this thread!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

That one kid told the truth

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Many Uncles died to bring us this information.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vikar Jerome posted:

i remember seeing that sunset image in a mag and my imagination running wild with possibilities of the expanse of OoT

Same, I remember honestly thinking that the game would be honestly be infinite. It's strange because even now when I see those beta screen shots, my brain wonders what could have been and how amazing it would be to play it. But now, seeing people running through these vast, empty and honestly dull, maps. I'm really glad we got the game that actually released instead.

It's hard to say this definitively though, the lighting in old shots looks a lot different from the final game and there's no enemies or thinks to interact with; it's like... everything lacks any purpose because we're only seeing partial remains of the earliest versions of the game. I will say, that the Hyrule Castle walls and look are a lot more to my liking in this beta than the walls in the final title. Epona seemed to be a necessity back in these early builds with all of this space which is funny because she's almost useless in the final game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sigher posted:

Same, I remember honestly thinking that the game would be honestly be infinite. It's strange because even now when I see those beta screen shots, my brain wonders what could have been and how amazing it would be to play it. But now, seeing people running through these vast, empty and honestly dull, maps. I'm really glad we got the game that actually released instead.

Can you imagine if they made games today with massive worlds that were mostly empty and dull? Ahahahahahahaha

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

azurite posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some non-Nintendo stuff too. For instance, the Sonic beta that dropped on New Years.

Cool, now that the thread title changed, we can talk about this!

The forum I was staff at before this was a beta discovery message board after being an edgy Sonic prototype board, so it's hitting nostalgia for me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I love that in amongst the weird giant versions of the Deku Tree, Fire Temple, hyrule field etc. there's a teeny wee version of the forest temple!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sigher posted:

Same, I remember honestly thinking that the game would be honestly be infinite.

The rumor around my middle school lunch table, probably from the mythical uncle, was that OoT took 30 whole minutes to just walk in a straight line from one side of the map to the other.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

BrainDance posted:

The rumor around my middle school lunch table, probably from the mythical uncle, was that OoT took 30 whole minutes to just walk in a straight line from one side of the map to the other.
I'm trying to think of what the longest single journey in the game might be... maybe Fire Temple to Spirit Temple? Which would probably be around ten minutes maximum even on foot the whole way.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty good posted:

I'm trying to think of what the longest single journey in the game might be... maybe Fire Temple to Spirit Temple? Which would probably be around ten minutes maximum even on foot the whole way.

Still less time than listening to that god damned owl twice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Yeah growing up in the UK I never heard of Megaman until I got into emulation forums and saw people talking about the series. It just never registered with me.

Weird, in Germany everyone knows who Mega Man is. Well, at least if you're younger then retirement age, at least.

But with the weird differences that happen sometimes between EU countries, I can see Germans being totally down with Mega Man, while the Brits are bad again.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Brits have no time for mega man bc they love platformers with names like Jeffrey Jangles where the character sprite takes up a third of the screen and you press up to jump and all of the onscreen text is bouncing up and down at all times

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pretty good posted:

Brits have no time for mega man bc they love platformers with names like Jeffrey Jangles where the character sprite takes up a third of the screen and you press up to jump and all of the onscreen text is bouncing up and down at all times

when jeffrey collides with an enemy (which all look like food items) nothing happens except they both blink for a second and he loses half his health bar

theres a "wacky" candyland level

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pretty good posted:

lmao it's true

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

BrainDance posted:

In the uk, one of the mags, either official nintendo or n64 mag, had said in a preview that it took a whole day to walk across hyrule field and i was stoked and told everyone at school and couldnt understand why they hated that idea in an epic rpg. But when you get it and start walking across the field, i suddenly realized they meant in game day and i've hated time scaling ever since :negative:

If only i had daggerfall back then

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Pretty good posted:

Not true! In the north of england, the people had and lent out, mega man 2. Remember getting to the last stage and never beating before my friend wanted it back lol.

One day...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean Megaman existed, it was even on Gamesmaster a few times but I'm 32 so by the time I was really getting into videogames Megaman was old news (and long past its initial glory days).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

france was the other end of the europlatformer axis: infogrames smurfs games, ocean, super dany

it was like cargo cult design where european developers saw mario and went like "oh its about a bloke what jumps, 'rear end all, easy peasy" and didnt understand what actually makes a platform game good

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Shibawanko posted:

france was the other end of the europlatformer axis: infogrames smurfs games, ocean, super dany

it was like cargo cult design where european developers saw mario and went like "oh its about a bloke what jumps, 'rear end all, easy peasy" and didnt understand what actually makes a platform game good

The Great Giana Sisters lol

(German)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

The Great Giana Sisters lol

(German)

lots of items that only gave you points for your score was another common feature, often crystals but could also be a sandwich bobbing up and down worth 100 points

https://youtu.be/jxwRQKmin-E

from holland, i give you europlatformized mario

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna be like well in PAL land Mega Man looked like this

but honestly that's no excuse considering the US Mega Man box art lmao

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
man they just do not make box art like that anymore

I would play the poo poo out of whatever imaginary game that art is depicting

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

poo poo, they put the Blue-Eyes White Dragon into Mega Man?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

btw, while we are waiting for OoT 97 playable areas with actors patches, romhacker SePH patched in a lot of the gigaleak lttp beta assets so you can gently caress around in lttp like those old screenshot/boxart shots promised.

https://www.retrorgb.com/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-proto.html
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5630

quote:

* Overworld, Dungeons, Items and Sprites graphical changes
* Brand new overworlds based on the earliest World Map
* All prototype dungeon rooms implemented
* Implemented prototype HUD
* Health as been reduced to 16 hearts
* Jump Shoes to jump over large gaps
* Armos Knights Prototype AI

This is a result of 4 months (maybe 5) of "behind the scenes" hard work, a few
assembly hacks and fixes etc. This game was known as A Link To The Past and only
has been renamed into A Link To The Proto for the release to stand on it's own.

There is a lot of changes, I tried to add as much prototype assets into the game,
but unfortunately due to the multiple iterations of the same tilesets and a rather
limited space for graphics, only a few select ones made it into the reconstruction.

But still, there is a lot of places to explore and many unseen things to discover
from the proto content that was cut from the final vanilla release from Nintendo.

That's it for a brief introduction... I hope you enjoy playing this hack as much
as I had fun "reconstructing" a playable prototype!

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 23, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

also nintendo wanted to fry your n64.

https://twitter.com/Obsessive_Gamer/status/1352626251870199810

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

btw, while we are waiting for OoT 97 playable areas with actors patches, romhacker SePH patched in a lot of the gigaleak lttp beta assets so you can gently caress around in lttp like those old screenshot/boxart shots promised.

https://www.retrorgb.com/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-proto.html
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5630

i just started playing this and its loving insane. the castle... god everything.

shocking revelation i just had that i've somehow missed for 25 years, in the title screen intro/demo when it shows you the dude on the throne, i always thought that was Agahnim without his hood on, but the proto leaves him on the throne and it just hit me looking at it, its the dead king with the sword in his stomach, not sure how i didnt connect that all these years. gonna see if it will work on the snes classic and then i guess im playing as lonk in a lonk to the past

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i always thought it was a sword as a kid but actually i think its his skeleton sitting on the throne

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the way i used to see it: yellow part on top is his head tilted backwards, black part is his open mouth, white thing is sword which impaled him
the way it actually is: the yellow part his his crown, white part is his skull, also his hands are white because hes a skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it throws you off because his shoulders are huge for some reason and the crown looks like an open mouth and nostrils