Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Terror Sweat posted:

Only if you read the comics

The Sword logo was on the helicopter drone in an earlier episode, and in the Previously On in this episode, so it works as a callback to, "She's part of something not right."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Wasn't even in the last Spider-man movie? By mention and everything. That's how I know what is Sword.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Desperado Bones posted:

Wasn't even in the last Spider-man movie? By mention and everything. That's how I know what is Sword.

Fury was shown on some sort of space ship far from earth, and people naturally assumed it had something to do with SWORD, but I don't think it was ever explicitly called out as such.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Klungar posted:

Fury was shown on some sort of space ship far from earth, and people naturally assumed it had something to do with SWORD, but I don't think it was ever explicitly called out as such.

Wasn't that a Skrull ship, though? Like, other than Fury, I thought everyone you saw was a Skrull.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Wasn't that a Skrull ship, though? Like, other than Fury, I thought everyone you saw was a Skrull.

Yeah, but the Skrull’s seem to be working for Fury since they were providing his cover on Earth while he’s away. I’d figure SWORD having alien agents would make sense in the MCU, and with how Agents of Shield ended.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Klungar posted:

Yeah, but the Skrull’s seem to be working for Fury since they were providing his cover on Earth while he’s away. I’d figure SWORD having alien agents would make sense in the MCU, and with how Agents of Shield ended.

It's also a much better ending to have a group of Skrulls start working with humans to protect a new home than to go "yeah, humanity isn't ready for these new people yet; better have them go someplace else entirely".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus more Ben Mendelsohn is rarely a bad thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

eke out posted:

i hope there isn't some dramatic Vision Dies At The End thing and this is just an excuse for him to be alive again. i don't know if Bettany has already ruled out doing more Marvel or what, but he's a delight

my prediction is that Vision will be dead again at the end of the series (though Bettany could still return in flashbacks/cameos/etc) and that Wanda's failure to bring him back will be the main thing that drives her into whatever her role in Doctor Strange 2 is

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Convex posted:

the below is just a joke tweet, but if the sitcom aspect were more like this, I'd honestly be a lot happier with it
https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1352716116418650114
though I suppose it'd be harder to make the dramatic beats land if the sitcom parts were basically a parody of the "real" MCU

Honestly, getting James Spader in as 'Vision's dad coming to visit' would be a masterstroke.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ultron as Robert California

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

my prediction is that Vision will be dead again at the end of the series (though Bettany could still return in flashbacks/cameos/etc) and that Wanda's failure to bring him back will be the main thing that drives her into whatever her role in Doctor Strange 2 is

Alternatively she succeeds in bringing him back but he comes back wrong.

Sometimes dead is better.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So...
Considering that next episode will probably be set in the 80s,
would you say that Wanda and Vision are Married... With Children?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Whoever's doing the score for this show is spot-on. The 70s sitcom background tracks felt really authentic.

It's also really fun to see Elizabeth Olsen change her acting style with each decade. Vision is kind of always Vision because he's supposed to be, but Wanda's been a different type of sitcom wife every episode.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

So...

Can't wait for those cheesy 90's family sitcom adventures.

sticklefifer posted:

Whoever's doing the score for this show is spot-on. The 70s sitcom background tracks felt really authentic.

That color palette was :discourse: same as the costumes. The lady who worked on the wardrobe design seemed as she had the time of her life.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

Can't wait for those cheesy 90's family sitcom adventures.

The show will throw us for a loop and parody That 70s Show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

stev posted:

Alternatively she succeeds in bringing him back but he comes back wrong.

Sometimes dead is better.

An excuse for emotionless chalk white Vision? I'm here for it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The show will throw us for a loop and parody That 70s Show.

They already got one of the cast members!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Desperado Bones posted:

Touché. There has been 40 year olds playing younger characters so it's not a impossible. And indeed it would be a fun and unexpected!

Paul Bettany is 50, and Vision is, like, two.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Necrothatcher posted:

It's cool that that Twilight Zone episode takes just 25 mins to make its point.

I suppos, but that episode had a different point than this show. The TZ ep was how people try to "normalize" even the most horrific circumstances (imprisoned by a cruel, thoughtless God child).

WandaVision seems to be more about the intersection between "super" and "human" in a superhuman person. Yes, Wanda is amazingly powerful now, re-writing minds, even re-writing reality and re-winding time. However, the problems she's facing are very human in nature. Pain, Grief. Loneliness. This show is how Wanda is trying (and failing) to deal with very human problems with Super abilities.

Barry Convex posted:

The change in aspect ratio actually makes sense, given that this is the first time we've seen the "real world" in the series (aside from the bit with the monitors at the end of the first episode, which was also in widescreen

yes, but I don't think the "real world" creeping into the sitcom world needs to be underscored so heavy-handedly, and would be more effective if it wasn't

One thing is that I don't think people have quite grasped what's happening here. Wanda hasn't gone into a small town, cracked up is now living there with a fake Vision and mind controlled people - at least she hasn't just done that. Recall the bit from the control room in the first episode.

I think Wanda has actually used her powers to transform the town into a television show that actually airs in the MCU. Basically people in the MCU are turning on their TVs and seeing "WandaVision" as an actual television show. There's no real physical town to enter, exactly. There's probably some kind of intermittent portal/opening to let SWORD send a helicopter/beekeeper/radio signal/Monica inside, but it's not like Nick Fury can just fly a Helicarrier over a physical town going "All right, Wanda, cut the poo poo and snap out of it." because there is no physical town anymore. There's just some kind of TV signal.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Paul Bettany is 50, and Vision is, like, two.

Excuse me, he is like 10 :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

Excuse me, he is like 10 :colbert:

I guess it depends on whether he ages with those periods.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
He's probably like two days old.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McSpanky posted:

An excuse for emotionless chalk white Vision? I'm here for it.

Yea I've been expecting that for ages now.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I hope they don’t just reset to ‘lol sitcom’ at the start of every episode. Stakes should rise sometimes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Desperado Bones posted:

That color palette was :discourse: same as the costumes. The lady who worked on the wardrobe design seemed as she had the time of her life.

I love the slightly over-saturated look of the 70s era. Both Kathryn Hahn and Paul Bettany's blue eyes being way too blue was a really nice touch.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 23, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Everyone posted:

I suppos, but that episode had a different point than this show. The TZ ep was how people try to "normalize" even the most horrific circumstances (imprisoned by a cruel, thoughtless God child).

WandaVision seems to be more about the intersection between "super" and "human" in a superhuman person. Yes, Wanda is amazingly powerful now, re-writing minds, even re-writing reality and re-winding time. However, the problems she's facing are very human in nature. Pain, Grief. Loneliness. This show is how Wanda is trying (and failing) to deal with very human problems with Super abilities.

One thing is that I don't think people have quite grasped what's happening here. Wanda hasn't gone into a small town, cracked up is now living there with a fake Vision and mind controlled people - at least she hasn't just done that. Recall the bit from the control room in the first episode.

I think Wanda has actually used her powers to transform the town into a television show that actually airs in the MCU. Basically people in the MCU are turning on their TVs and seeing "WandaVision" as an actual television show. There's no real physical town to enter, exactly. There's probably some kind of intermittent portal/opening to let SWORD send a helicopter/beekeeper/radio signal/Monica inside, but it's not like Nick Fury can just fly a Helicarrier over a physical town going "All right, Wanda, cut the poo poo and snap out of it." because there is no physical town anymore. There's just some kind of TV signal.

Doesn't entirely explain why they can't just ask Dr Strange to pop by and do some mojo. Could even say that the Eye of Agamotto makes him immune to her rewinds. (I do hate that they just made the Eye a fancy case for the Time Stone, it's way cooler in the comics as an anti-illusion/deception widget

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gaz-L posted:

Doesn't entirely explain why they can't just ask Dr Strange to pop by and do some mojo. Could even say that the Eye of Agamotto makes him immune to her rewinds. (I do hate that they just made the Eye a fancy case for the Time Stone, it's way cooler in the comics as an anti-illusion/deception widget
I mean, they might do just that. We don't know yet.

That said, Strange really shouldn't have any power or protection over time now that the Time Stone is gone. In fact, my current theory is that Wanda actually absorbed and developed the power of all the Infinity Stones, which gives her power over reality, the power affect time, even power over souls.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dr strange is always off in some dream dimension and never around because otherwise every problem becomes “just get strange to deal with it”

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

So...

I think 80s will be like a Wonder Years or even Stranger Things type palette. If the the 80s is a Halloween episode where Wanda and Vision dress as there traditional comics costumes as is hinted by the trailer, I think those two come to mind most, despite Stranger Things not being an actual 80s show. I think thats speaks volumes for their production to make it look so natural despite having the advantage of modern tech.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

swickles posted:

I think 80s will be like a Wonder Years or even Stranger Things type palette. If the the 80s is a Halloween episode where Wanda and Vision dress as there traditional comics costumes as is hinted by the trailer, I think those two come to mind most, despite Stranger Things not being an actual 80s show. I think thats speaks volumes for their production to make it look so natural despite having the advantage of modern tech.

Neither of those shows are sitcoms though or even contemporary to the time periods they aired. I would think the 80s episode would be more along the lines of Growing Pains or Family Ties, then for the 90s they'd go more Full House/Home Improvement/Rosanne.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

So...

No joke, there was an issue of What The?!? (Marvel’s late 80s-early 90’s comedy/parody comic) that DID this. They had a reimagining of Vision and Scarlet Witch as basically Al and Peg, with all their bad guys and allies as neighbors, and even had a parody of the theme song... it’s probably not as good now as it was when I was 12 😂

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

robot roll call posted:

Neither of those shows are sitcoms though or even contemporary to the time periods they aired. I would think the 80s episode would be more along the lines of Growing Pains or Family Ties, then for the 90s they'd go more Full House/Home Improvement/Rosanne.

Going just by the trailers. The 80s house gives me a Family Ties feel and the 90s outfit say Roseanne to me. Though they have to give a nod to Full House, if only because of Elizabeth's sisters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, they might do just that. We don't know yet.

That said, Strange really shouldn't have any power or protection over time now that the Time Stone is gone. In fact, my current theory is that Wanda actually absorbed and developed the power of all the Infinity Stones, which gives her power over reality, the power affect time, even power over souls.

Am I misremembering Endgame? I thought the stones all went back to where they started?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Am I misremembering Endgame? I thought the stones all went back to where they started?

Back in time, where they would wait until Thanos would gather them and destroy them after dusting half the universe. The present day of the MCU has 0/6 Infinity Stones, though I’m not sure how that squares with the Ancient One’s lesson on what happens to doomed time lines that lose an Infinity Stone.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Nope. The stones that went back where from another time line/universe. The stones in the original time line were destroyed forever by Thanos. The moment they did the time travel a new time line branch was created. Don't think a lot about it, it probably won't make a lot of sense.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

tsob posted:

One other thing I found interesting looking at the trailers again is that [episode 3 spoilers]when Wanda asks Monica who she is, Monica in the trailer has a really confused "I don't know" response, while she seems to know who she is and be trying to infiltrate Wanda's reality in the episode as is. I wonder if there was a slight change in plans at some point. Or if maybe Monica was losing herself in the new reality despite stepping in there with a specific purpose.

This was probably just misdirection in the trailer but also doing it in a way that showcases that things are Not Right.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do think that given the movie connection, we may get a cameo from Strange (speculation so not gonna tag it), maybe with some kind of cool one-liner about how Wanda doesn't need another magician, she needs a doctor.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

The Stones gathered in the "Time Heist" were sent back to where they came from. However, think back to the final battle in Infinity War when Wanda is trying to kill Vision. She focuses her power on the Mind stone. Thanos knocks the various heroes away and comes for her. And she holds him back. She actually splits her focus, using part of her power to attack the Mind Stone and the other part to hold back Thanos, who wields the Guantlet with the other five Stones.

In Endgame, Thanos states that he used the Stones to destroy the Stones - he used their power against them. Perhaps Wanda did something similar, pulling part of their power into herself and using it against them. That might explain the... tenderness that Thanos showed to her then. Wanda wasn't just someone who had killed one she loved out of need. She was someone who understood on some level the burden of wielding the Stones. It also explains why she was Snapped. Part of it was likely that Thanos wanted to give her the peace of death. But part of it might also be that Thanos knew what would happen next.

Thanos destroyed the Stones, but he didn't necessarily destroy their power - just scattered it and made it unusable since it was no longer harnessed to physical objects. Or was it unusable? Perhaps instead of scattering, the Stones' powers was drawn back to the where it was last used, Earth. And for five years it stayed there, waiting. When the Hulk did the UnSnap, he brought everyone taken by the Snap back. Including Wanda. Who had previously (unconsciously) shown her affinity for the Stones by using their power previously. So, the Stones' went into the most compatible vessel.

Thanos, Hulk and Stark needed an Infinity Gauntlet to use the Stone and using them badly injured or killed them. Because they weren't truly compatible.

Wanda doesn't need an Infinity Gauntlet. At this point, Wanda Maximoff is the Infinity Gauntlet.

You make now mock my speculation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Another point i think is worth noting is despite her best efforts, Wanda seems to be unable to stop Vision from noticing things are wrong over and over again. I assume there's some kind of 'she made him from her memories, but because of that, he's too close to the real thing to accept the lie'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think the Infinity Stones are done, if only because after a decade+ of movies about them the MCU should do something different.