Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is it possible to switch which microphone is being used? I have some nice Bluetooth headphones I use but they have a built in microphone that’s kinda poo poo. When I use discord instead of using the nicer mics in the iPad Pro it uses the poo poo headphone mic and I’d like to use the headphones for sound but the internal iPad mic if possible
I don't know if iOS support separate audio I/O like that (at least with a BT headset), or if it does I don't think Discord shows an option to do it. I was looking for something similar a few days ago cause that's what I do on my computer to get around the BT headset profile being poo poo (switch the audio input and the headphones can run at a higher quality audio output only headphone profile).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I have a Pro that's about three years old, and I'd really like to replace the battery, but would prefer not to mail it anywhere and have it be in shipping for who knows how long. Is going to an Apple Store with an appointment my best bet, or is this something the local Best Buy or something can do for me reliably? (The nearest Apple Store is two and a half hours away and I'd have to plan a weekend trip.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I have a Pro that's about three years old, and I'd really like to replace the battery, but would prefer not to mail it anywhere and have it be in shipping for who knows how long. Is going to an Apple Store with an appointment my best bet, or is this something the local Best Buy or something can do for me reliably? (The nearest Apple Store is two and a half hours away and I'd have to plan a weekend trip.)

Bestbuy is an authorized apple repair center now but I’m betting they’d have to send it off to apple as well.

TBH though I’m not even sure if you took it to an apple store if they’d have the battery in stock so they’d have to send it off as well.

You probably won’t get a same day turn around no matter what you do but Best Buy is your best bet imo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Download the Apple Support app. You should be able to tap on your iPad (assuming it’s on the same Apple ID) and it’ll give you options for where to bring it in. I just did this for a broken phone.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have a Shure MV88 microphone that I use with my iPhone for video calls, IG casts, etc. and it's great. I am wanting to use my iPad Pro (2018 model iirc) for video calls and wanted to use the Shure mic for better sound quality, but the iPad isn't recognizing it at all. Are there problems using microphones with iPads? I purchased a new USB mini to USB C cable and it works fine otherwise, so that's not the problem. Am I missing some kind of permission in the setting somewhere?

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 10, 2021

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have a Shure MV88 microphone that I use with my iPhone for video calls, IG casts, etc. and it's great. I am wanting to use my iPad Pro (2018 model iirc) for video calls and wanted to use the Shure mic for better sound quality, but the iPad isn't recognizing it at all. Are there problems using microphones with iPads? I purchased a new USB mini to USB C cable and it works fine otherwise, so that's not the problem. Am I missing some kind of permission in the setting somewhere?

That mic is supposed to go into the Lightning port of an iPhone or base model iPad. Unless there's a USB-C to Lightning adapter I'm not aware of, this doesn't seem like it should be possible.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honj Steak posted:

That mic is supposed to go into the Lightning port of an iPhone or base model iPad. Unless there's a USB-C to Lightning adapter I'm not aware of, this doesn't seem like it should be possible.

Uggghhh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to change which results come up first when you hit cmd-space and type a term? I almost always use this to launch apps rather than finding the icon and I’m always scrolling through email, web, and other results before I get to the app that matches the term I entered.

I could have sworn this used to show apps first but maybe I’m just making things up.

I don’t know if this is possible or easy to do, but if it is I just can’t seem to remember the term to search for to get the help I need.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is there a way to change which results come up first when you hit cmd-space and type a term? I almost always use this to launch apps rather than finding the icon and I’m always scrolling through email, web, and other results before I get to the app that matches the term I entered.

I could have sworn this used to show apps first but maybe I’m just making things up.

I don’t know if this is possible or easy to do, but if it is I just can’t seem to remember the term to search for to get the help I need.

AFAIK the results should be use based. Like if I start with P or whatever the app I use the most comes up first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I was hoping for the same, but I launch my brokerage app every other day and it still comes up last in the list, under email results and web results for <brokerage name>.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Honj Steak posted:

Wouldn’t something like this work? Probably something cheaper out there but:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, I was hoping for the same, but I launch my brokerage app every other day and it still comes up last in the list, under email results and web results for <brokerage name>.

Are you on big sur? The way it picks what to launch when you type in an app name and hit enter seems to have gotten way, way stupider for me too lately

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

Wouldn’t something like this work? Probably something cheaper out there but:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't think it will. Shur's own support page says adapters are not supported
https://service.shure.com/Service/s/article/motiv-with-computer?language=en_US

quote:

The MV88 only work with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices with a native lightning port. It does not work with computers or devices with a USB-C connector, even with an adaptor cable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Are you on big sur? The way it picks what to launch when you type in an app name and hit enter seems to have gotten way, way stupider for me too lately

Yes, though this specifically is about iPadOS behaviour. Though it does strike me as likely that the two are related and have been “tuned” the same way :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I don't think it will. Shur's own support page says adapters are not supported
https://service.shure.com/Service/s/article/motiv-with-computer?language=en_US

drat. Well not a great loss since I have mostly used the mic with my iPhone but it's a shame I can't use it with the ipad- it would have really made things easier for doing Instagram live casts while doing painting demos. :(

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Yes, though this specifically is about iPadOS behaviour. Though it does strike me as likely that the two are related and have been “tuned” the same way :(

I have this issue with iPhone as well, I always used to start awful just pulling down and typing A, but now it's nowhere near the top

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Don’t you guys have Siri app suggestions at the top? This is on my iPhone but I’m pretty sure it’s the same way on my iPad (I use Alfred on my Mac so I’m not sure there).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes, it's odd, I definitely have app suggestions on but this particular app is always superseded by web results and emails :confused:

In short, no idea what the hell is going on.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It seems that me complaining here miraculously fixed the issue for me, but it was bugged for at least a month! It didn't show awful even when I typed it completely

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Seems like my brokerage app is literally the only one that doesn't show up on App suggestions so I'll just have to live with it. Literally spent the last five minutes trying to search for all the apps on my iPad and that's the only one that I seems to do it. Ah well, if that's the worst thing to happen to me in 2021 I'll take it :3:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Apple doesn't service iPads in stores anymore. They don't even swap them out for refurbs from the back. Everything has to be done by mail.

I got my iPhone X battery replaced via mail in mid-2020 during and it didn't take very long. Took about a week.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Seems like my brokerage app is literally the only one that doesn't show up on App suggestions so I'll just have to live with it. Literally spent the last five minutes trying to search for all the apps on my iPad and that's the only one that I seems to do it. Ah well, if that's the worst thing to happen to me in 2021 I'll take it :3:

Not sure if this will fix it since it seems to be ~machine learning~ affected, but check in the Settings app:

Make sure that’s enabled for it to show up in App Suggestions. You might have accidentally disabled it at some point.

Also this is how you disable apps from showing up in App Suggestions, in case you never want it to suggest your anime app or whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Apple doesn't service iPads in stores anymore. They don't even swap them out for refurbs from the back. Everything has to be done by mail.

I got my iPhone X battery replaced via mail in mid-2020 during and it didn't take very long. Took about a week.

My iPad cracked screen was replaced in-store a few months ago, but to be fair I did have to wait for a unit to be mailed in to the store since they were out of replacements. Not sure if that counters your second point or not, but just anecdotal experience here.

Could be region too. We weren't under as strict a lockdown at the time.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not sure if this will fix it since it seems to be ~machine learning~ affected, but check in the Settings app:

Make sure that’s enabled for it to show up in App Suggestions. You might have accidentally disabled it at some point.

Well it's worth a shot :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

My iPad cracked screen was replaced in-store a few months ago, but to be fair I did have to wait for a unit to be mailed in to the store since they were out of replacements. Not sure if that counters your second point or not, but just anecdotal experience here.

Could be region too. We weren't under as strict a lockdown at the time.

Maybe. I was told specifically that iPads were no longer serviced. This was a pretty big Apple store that did a prior swap for me (why do I have such problems with iPads).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lack of actual service definitely doesn’t surprise me. With all the permutations of things that can go wrong it’s probably much easier to just stock replacements, swap those out, then send the old ones back for actual refurb duty.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What's the correct way to remove a big rear end glass screen protector from an iPad? I bought one used and it came with a damaged glass protector.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

What's the correct way to remove a big rear end glass screen protector from an iPad? I bought one used and it came with a damaged glass protector.

Dental Floss is what I used. The really thin kind.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

god this blows posted:

Dental Floss is what I used. The really thin kind.

Ah right forgot about that trick. Is that how they do it at repair shops?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

They tend to come off as a sheet even if it’s cracked. Never needed more than a fingernail.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've got the iPad 8th Gen and I'm thinking of upgrading to the iPad Air 4 for the better screen and slightly bigger size for taking notes and reading books.

I'd be using it for art via Procreate, class notes via GoodNotes, class books via VitalSource, and general YouTube/Plex/D+/Netflix/etc. vids.

Should I grab that or wait for the new Pros and go from there? Apple is, apparently, not accepting trade-ins on the 2020 iPads though so who knows. :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Unless you are wanting a 12.9 it definitely doesn’t seem like you’d need a pro.

The new air is pretty fantastic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love my 12.9 pro but I would definitely get an air if I was buying now.

New squared edge mini when??

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

iPad pro 11 magic keyboard is $100 off at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Magic-Keyboard-for-11-inch-iPad-Pro-2nd-generation/984505060

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have the 12.9 version and it’s fuckin fantastic.

I had my dad get the same one and he was a little miffed at the price but he said he can’t do without it now.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm going to get work to buy me one for my workiversary gift, otherwise I'd be all over this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

priznat posted:

I love my 12.9 pro but I would definitely get an air if I was buying now.

New squared edge mini when??

I love my square air, but we would have bought a square mini with USB-C had one been available

edit: gently caress iphone specific proprietary connectors on tablets forever, get hosed, johnny ive

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the responses, I'll go with the iPad Air over the Pro..but now I'm wondering if I should just keep the 8th gen instead. It does have the non-laminated display and display size isn't as large as the almost 11 inch Air.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

drat, I rarely use my Pro anymore now that I have an M1 Air but this is tempting.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Magic Keyboard is $100 everywhere... is it REALLY needed? I got an iPad Air coming next week and I'm wondering if I should pick up the case now or just go for https://www.amazon.com/ESR-Trifold-iPad-Air-2020/dp/B08L6N3M4L/ or maybe a bumper + smart folio combo like on my iPad 8th Gen?

Anyone used ESR's trifold cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Magic Keyboard is $100 everywhere... is it REALLY needed?

do you not plan to type a lot on your iPad, or do you already own a bluetooth keyboard? if the answer to either of those is yes, probably not!

I have ESR's case for the base iPad, it's fine