Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Bone Crimes posted:

I guess I shouldn't say no minivans there is this which has been teased.

https://www.canoo.com/canoo/

Gonna be hard to get my wife on board for that tho

Incidentally, does the 'Attach File' feature work? I've tried it a few times and it doesn't seem to do anything. I can select a file, but then, like, nothing- doesn't seem to upload or anything..

I'm not gonna lie, they almost had me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Humerus posted:

I'm not gonna lie, they almost had me interested.

Doesn't seem like they're going through the proper channels to make this a 50-state legal road vehicle. More like closed road shuttle bus from the looks of things.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Jimong5 posted:

My wife has a Bolt and they are nice cars. Its a small car but the way its designed makes it feel like its larger than it is. This makes it look a bit goofy on the outside but driving it it's incredibly functional. Tons of headroom and the high seating position means the beltline is pretty low on your body for a modern car, which makes it feel extra roomy. The interior is very plasticky but honestly it doesn't bother us, in almost an industrial way you feel like the materials will hold up and take a light/moderate amount of abuse.

Sweet, thanks for the feedback.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nitrox posted:

Doesn't seem like they're going through the proper channels to make this a 50-state legal road vehicle. More like closed road shuttle bus from the looks of things.

Fuckin' "lifestyle vehicle"

No front crumple zone, no airbag in the steering wheel, and those pillars wouldn't hold up in a rollover.

That's not a vehicle, that's a way to seperate stupid venture capitalists from their money.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My lifestyle is early death, stop trying to control what I do

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Got a FB ad for this EV three wheeler that must be considered, legally, a motorcycle or something. It's a two seater (passenger behind driver), with some sort of body but the ad said it had optional doors, so lol. It's about 18k and I feel like if you were considering this a used Leaf or similar would be way way better but what do I know.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They made a crossover because they want to actually sell them.

Yeah exactly. Look how many people itt are considering one. Those same people are not considering a regular mustang coupe.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Humerus posted:

Got a FB ad for this EV three wheeler that must be considered, legally, a motorcycle or something. It's a two seater (passenger behind driver), with some sort of body but the ad said it had optional doors, so lol. It's about 18k and I feel like if you were considering this a used Leaf or similar would be way way better but what do I know.

A mall near me sells the Electra Meccanica Solo, an EV three wheeler that fits one and is also $18k.

Doesn't make too much sense to me, either. For that money (or less) you can get a used Leaf, i3, Bolt, e-Golf and probably many more that are all better in just about every way.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jimong5 posted:

My wife has a Bolt and they are nice cars. Its a small car but the way its designed makes it feel like its larger than it is. This makes it look a bit goofy on the outside but driving it it's incredibly functional. Tons of headroom and the high seating position means the beltline is pretty low on your body for a modern car, which makes it feel extra roomy. The interior is very plasticky but honestly it doesn't bother us, in almost an industrial way you feel like the materials will hold up and take a light/moderate amount of abuse.

I went and test drove a 2020 Bolt Premier today. I was surprised at how much passenger space there actually was in that vehicle. Seemed like there was as much or more space than in my 2017 Charger. I did really like the seating position and the visibility out of the car. Seemed really bright and open. I guess having two small children, all the hard plastic did not seem as much of an issue. Or it could be that I am used to hard plastics from a string of domestic budget conscious performance vehicles.

The brakes on the car would take some getting used to. This was my first time driving an electric vehicle, so I am sure that played a part in it. I did like that there is the option for either 1 pedal driving, or a steering wheel mounted paddle for regen braking while in a normal driving mode. I am going to have to relearn how to drive, as I am used to coasting early when coming up on stoplights, and that got me some unexpected jerking as the regen engaged when I wasn’t expecting it.

I ultimately didn’t hate the car. I was worried that I (I’m 6’6”) wouldn’t fit in the tiny hatchback, or that there wouldn’t be room for my kids to sit behind me. But it was reasonably comfortable, and there should be enough room for my kids for quite some time. I also worried that I would hate how the car drove. I currently have an almost 500hp beast of a car, and while the Bolt is nowhere near its performance, it should be adequate to get me up to speed on the highway.

So now I just have to figure out if I am ready to live the life of an appliance car. Or if I can keep myself from checking every option on the Mach-E in a year or two to keep the price on that reasonable.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I've owned my 2020 Bolt for a few months now and I honestly love it. The seats are... Ok. They're not uncomfortable but they're not luxurious. The interior being plastic doesn't bother me at all, I actually think it looks neat. It's quick and feels more like a hot hatch than anything. For the price (I paid like $27k flat back in Sept) I was extremely satisfied with what I got. Only real complaint is the touch screen is sorta laggy but I only interact with it enough to switch input to my phone which is like two taps. If I paid sticker (like 40k) I'd be disappointed, but I don't think anyone has ever paid sticker on a Bolt

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah exactly. Look how many people itt are considering one. Those same people are not considering a regular mustang coupe.

I currently drive a recent Mustang GT. I want my next (possibly concurrent) car to be a relatively fun to drive and an all around competent EV. I'm still not sold on the Mach E styling, but it's good for the industry to see a competitive product from a big auto maker.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Periodic reminder that you can get Spark EVs for $6.5 - $8k, they are really fun!

Notes:
- Try and get one with CCS
- Try and get one without the ugly blue seats
- The newest ones (MY 2016) probably still have battery warranty, but I haven't seen much need for it amongst owners
- My 2014 gets 65-70 miles of range depending on temperature
- The 2014 is the one with 400 lb-ft of torque, 2015+ only has 327
- No parking sensors, backup camera, or android auto, though you can add a backup camera yourself with a bit of work. The OEM head unit has composite input and you can make it come on when you put it in reverse. I did it and it works fine!
- The battery is actively heated/cooled

If you're wanting to jump into EVs, it makes a great second car! If mine died tomorrow, I'd buy another one immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CBIC8Ex_qI

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 23, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

RZA Encryption posted:

Periodic reminder that you can get Spark EVs for $6.5 - $8k, they are really fun!

Notes:
- Try and get one with CCS
- Try and get one without the ugly blue seats
- The newest ones (MY 2016) probably still have battery warranty, but I haven't seen much need for it amongst owners
- My 2014 gets 65-70 miles of range depending on temperature
- The 2014 is the one with 400 lb-ft of torque, 2015+ only has 327
- No parking sensors, backup camera, or android auto, though you can add a backup camera yourself with a bit of work. The OEM head unit has composite input and you can make it come on when you put it in reverse. I did it and it works fine!
- The battery is actively heated/cooled

If you're wanting to jump into EVs, it makes a great second car! If mine died tomorrow, I'd buy another one immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CBIC8Ex_qI
Even though I have a Model 3 Performance and the numbers are not at all impressive by comparison, I love that it still makes basically exactly the same sound as my P3D when accelerating.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bandire posted:

I currently drive a recent Mustang GT. I want my next (possibly concurrent) car to be a relatively fun to drive and an all around competent EV. I'm still not sold on the Mach E styling, but it's good for the industry to see a competitive product from a big auto maker.

All the reviewers who've driven it so far have said it's fun to drive and has plenty of pep. If that's all you're looking for it should be fine

But it's not all you're looking for... just like me

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

PIZZA.BAT posted:

All the reviewers who've driven it so far have said it's fun to drive and has plenty of pep. If that's all you're looking for it should be fine

But it's not all you're looking for... just like me

Pretty much. I wasn't really even considering it until the mostly positive reviews started piling up. It gives me hope they will be able to produce a compelling actual Mustang EV.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Trip report: after messing with the rwd taycan configurator, I still brushed along 6 digits, lmao :negative: One day...

By the way, goons who have purchased and still currently own a model 3 or Y, how do you like your cars after some time with them? Have they given you any weird issues? You can PM if you're worried about getting poo poo for posting, but I thought I'd ask for some experiences from actual owners on this comedy forum.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

By the way, goons who have purchased and still currently own a model 3 or Y, how do you like your cars after some time with them? Have they given you any weird issues? You can PM if you're worried about getting poo poo for posting, but I thought I'd ask for some experiences from actual owners on this comedy forum.

The most frequent issue I've been having with my 3 is freezing rain/ice buildup preventing the windows from rolling down and or making the door handles stick because I do not have a garage. Fortunately when the windows are free of ice and can roll down, they move down ever so slightly after you close the doors so they still clear the trim even if they are frozen in place when you go to open/close the door next time.

Maybe once a month or so the bluetooth on the phone fails to connect quickly enough to unlock the car when I approach. If I keep my phone in a back pocket it happens much more often and I usually have to turn around so the phone faces the car before it will unlock. A couple times I have unlocked the car by touching the phone to the pillar just like a key card (its android so its NFC works that way).

Otherwise it has been fine, nothing else I can think of. It is an excellent daily driver, and while the efficiency is pretty terrible as a result of my short commute (1.4 miles) it is wonderful to finally be able to drive to/from work in a warm vehicle in winter. My previous ICE car definitely lived up to the acronym in winter as I usually ended up cold and miserable with the vehicle just barely starting to produce any cabin heat by the time I finished my commute and was turning it off and getting out.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

2018 LR RWD-- after almost 3 years the tl:dr is I'd buy it again. Have definitely had some "it's a computer issues" from time to time-- Bluetooth unlocks not working, once or twice I've gotten in and there will be a slew of AP errors and I have to reboot the MCU but on the whole, given $56K and the options out there, I'd take the Tesla again. It is fun, comfortable, and has a surprising amount of storage-- I can fit more in the trunk/frunk and other nooks and crannies than my legacy wagon. At the time of purchase, there was still the threat of Tesla maybe not making it but that appears to be over.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Tyro posted:

Sweet, thanks for the feedback.

I agree with everything in this review too. The deals on the Bolt are insane, and the car has been good to us. The seats aren't great, but I was doing a 120 mile round trip commute in one for a few weeks and they didn't bother me too much. Highly recommend

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Havent had any problems with my M3 other than a rabbit chewing through the front wiring harness and making me drop $200 on a replacement :argh:. AP is amazing for cross country drives and eating up miles on an interstate.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Genderfluent posted:

I agree with everything in this review too. The deals on the Bolt are insane, and the car has been good to us. The seats aren't great, but I was doing a 120 mile round trip commute in one for a few weeks and they didn't bother me too much. Highly recommend

Awesome. I'm going to have a ~100 mile round trip commute for the next few years and am looking for a 2nd car for that and around town trips, so that's good to hear.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

Even though I have a Model 3 Performance and the numbers are not at all impressive by comparison, I love that it still makes basically exactly the same sound as my P3D when accelerating.

It's a very satisfying sound and the car's speed can embarrass many nicer cars stoplight to stoplight. My other EV is much faster, but the Spark is without a doubt the more fun of the two.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Havent had any problems with my M3 other than a rabbit chewing through the front wiring harness and making me drop $200 on a replacement :argh:. AP is amazing for cross country drives and eating up miles on an interstate.

It blows my mind how much less cognitive drain advanced cruise control systems cause on drives.

I have a 40 mile commute to and from work, and while Ford's Copilot360 or whatever they call it is nowhere near advanced as AP/FSD, just the ability of the Escape to steer in the lane completely changed how I felt about that commute. In my old car I wanted to just take a nap the moment I got home, now I'm not exhausted anymore.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

It blows my mind how much less cognitive drain advanced cruise control systems cause on drives.

I have a 40 mile commute to and from work, and while Ford's Copilot360 or whatever they call it is nowhere near advanced as AP/FSD, just the ability of the Escape to steer in the lane completely changed how I felt about that commute. In my old car I wanted to just take a nap the moment I got home, now I'm not exhausted anymore.

You got an escape with full lane keeping? Im jelly, mine was the package below with just lane monitoring and adaptive cruise. Even with just them, driving is so much more fun.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SpaceCadetBob posted:

You got an escape with full lane keeping? Im jelly, mine was the package below with just lane monitoring and adaptive cruise. Even with just them, driving is so much more fun.

Hybrid Titanium has basically every bell and whistle you could want in it.

eta: it's the same level of driver attention detection as Tesla, so you do have to keep your hands on the wheel and put some torque in it, but it's honestly really solid

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Adaptive cruise is by far the more important tool, imo. Lane keeping is nice, but effective adaptive cruise is a game changer for commuting.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MrYenko posted:

Adaptive cruise is by far the more important tool, imo. Lane keeping is nice, but effective adaptive cruise is a game changer for commuting.

I also agree with this statement. The commute goes from city freeway to a more suburb-y freeway, and in my Focus with just plain cruise, it was fine when I got out of the city for the most part, but for the second half of my commute home, I couldn't rely on cruise control at all because of how stop and go it gets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My Leaf's cruise control is pretty good, the little speed change toggle is nice and aggressive, but ACC is the one "techie" feature I really want that I don't have, since my morning commute is traffic whipsawing between 55 and 70 constantly, and having the speed change be automatic would be the poo poo.

I got a rental Rav4 in DC awhile back for a drive from DC to Norfolk, and the ACC was amazing, just a great feature to have, I played around with the lane keeping assist too and didn't care for it at all.

Much better than the old Ranger with literally no cruise though.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Hyundai has really nice lane keeping. I found the best description to be a car that seems to just track the road perfectly. You absolutely have to still drive and pay attention, but it just seems to effortlessly track up to moderate curves.

Buff Hardback posted:

Sums it up well. Get done with a three hour drive and I don't feel as worn out. I drove from LA to Phoenix when I got it and I think I touched the gas and brake maybe four times if I wasn't hitting a ramp to exit. The ACC took me from 70 to stopped and back multiple times very smoothly.

Getting a hybrid just makes me want to go full electric, just can't since there's no charging solution I can get in my apt now. (And I just got this Sonata, so hopefully next car) I have a solar panel on it at least :v: So neat to creep around slowly and just be dead silent at stoplights.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

McPhearson posted:

A mall near me sells the Electra Meccanica Solo, an EV three wheeler that fits one and is also $18k.

Doesn't make too much sense to me, either. For that money (or less) you can get a used Leaf, i3, Bolt, e-Golf and probably many more that are all better in just about every way.

It looks like a thumb LOL

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ and similar to others I would buy again, probably. The main differences between then and now are that lower prices on Bolts, and the ID4 becoming available. Haven't had any computer issues, but did have to have the windows recalibrated (mobile service took care of that) and need to have the trunk lid sealed due to water ingress into the trunk lid (but not the trunk) (I have a service center not to far away, and got a Model S loaner). My experiences with Tesla service have been great, but I live in Seattle and we have a pretty significant Tesla footprint.

I did test drive a Bolt, and liked it, but did note the seat (I think I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't primed for it), and the brake oddness (it uses a regen+brake combo IIRC). I was put off a bit as the dealership didn't seem all that interested in selling them.

Haven't taken it on any super long trips that would require the superchargers, but still love the peace of mind I get seeing I could swing by one and get some charge. Took it on a short vacation during the summer to a vacation house, and it was great to just plug it in and not have to worry about gas stations or anything. As others have said, it has a surprising amount of storage - honestly nearly matching our Mazda 5.

I think if I could have saved like $12K off purchase and had a decent expectation that the charging network would have been decent, I would have gone for the Bolt. That time might be pretty close.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Glad you're happy with your 3! The only reason I'm not seriously considering a model 3 is I'm going to be 150 miles or more from the nearest Tesla service center.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Buff Hardback posted:

Not paying as much attention to something will do that, yes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tyro posted:

Glad you're happy with your 3! The only reason I'm not seriously considering a model 3 is I'm going to be 150 miles or more from the nearest Tesla service center.

On a similar note, make sure your local Chevy dealership will service EVs. I had to take the Spark EV in for a recall, and had to choose a dealer that was "Voltec Certified", and even then apparently the ONE service person that was trained on Chevy EVs was about to leave when I arrived. Nobody else was willing to touch it, even though it was just a software update IIRC.

Maybe this has improved since the wider rollout of the Bolt.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Agree with the ACC praise. I feel like it frees up my attention, I'm less interrupted by having to micromanage my speed and can pay more attention to what's going on around me. It's also a perfect match with an electric drivetrain. Smooth transition between all speeds, no problem keeping the set speed on steep grades.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrYenko posted:

they're both pretty drat helpful. Good lane-keep is great, ping pong lane-keep is terribad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I rarely do highway driving but when I do I also like the (kia) ACC. I missed out on collision avoidance (it sounds alarm but doesn’t auto brake) and lane keeping by a model year or two but I feel ACC is the nicest option anyway.

So many geegaws are now things I don’t think I could do without anymore like around view cameras and powered rear hatch.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Thank you so much! I really appreciate hearing about ownership experiences.

I scheduled a Model 3 test drive at the Fremont factory showroom in a couple of weeks, here goes nothing :ohdear: (I also want to test drive a Model Y and see which one I like better...)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My experience with a rental for about 5 days is I liked most things, but I need a speedometer / turn signal indicator actually in front of the driver. Obviously that's a personal thing. More physical controls would be better to me too. It's kind of wide if you're in a dense area with small parking spaces, but it's nice and comfortable, with a lot of space, but a fair amount of road noise -- depends on what you're used to. I had some trouble with the driver's door not lining up, causing difficulty getting it latched, and the suspension creaking 🙃. From everything else I see it's still the best in terms of the EV and charging parts.

Edit: I didn't trust the auto drive thing. It seem to keep pulling me toward other cars. I think it was on a beta release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PirateDentist posted:

Hyundai has really nice lane keeping. I found the best description to be a car that seems to just track the road perfectly. You absolutely have to still drive and pay attention, but it just seems to effortlessly track up to moderate curves.
My experience with the KIA lane keeping is it's 95% great on the interstate but sometimes it wants to follow the solid white line on the right and take an exit at speed instead of staying on the highway. This also happens on US highways where I'm going 55 and one time when I wanted to see how good it was on back roads and it wanted to exit left into a turn lane for a residential area, all at speed. Does Hyundai's LKA do that to you?

Is this a point of difference between Hyundai's team and KIA's team?

quote:

Sums it up well. Get done with a three hour drive and I don't feel as worn out. I drove from LA to Phoenix when I got it and I think I touched the gas and brake maybe four times if I wasn't hitting a ramp to exit. The ACC took me from 70 to stopped and back multiple times very smoothly.

Getting a hybrid just makes me want to go full electric, just can't since there's no charging solution I can get in my apt now. (And I just got this Sonata, so hopefully next car) I have a solar panel on it at least :v: So neat to creep around slowly and just be dead silent at stoplights.
From what I've heard everyone who buys a PHEV really wants to make the jump to BEV. There are of course the extenuating circumstances, like how you can't have a level 2 charger at your apartment, but if they can make it work they go BEV.