Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

timp posted:

Is there a general point where Graduation gets as good as it seems to be now? Think I might try my hand at just jumping right the gently caress in there and not worrying too much about what was missed (or just pick it up in the Previously On, Google it, w/e)

Episode 28 (I think?) was a big turning point in the story that gives everything a bit more purpose and drive that makes the space for some good goofs. Like haircuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don’t even know what the gently caress “soy face” is supposed to mean, I’m glad I’m not terminally online enough to know dumb poo poo like that much less use it offhandedly

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGk6kP6ACvc

Griffo plays some more animal crossing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ariong posted:

What on earth is soy face?

an incel term, apparently

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don’t even know what the gently caress “soy face” is supposed to mean, I’m glad I’m not terminally online enough to know dumb poo poo like that much less use it offhandedly

It's one of those things like cuck or snowflake, where it only has meaning to the people using it. You don't need to know what they think it means, just that they believe it's some huge own, apparently unaware of the fact that it's really stupid and meaningless to anyone who isn't a part of their insular group.

I mean, what a bunch of sock penguins, am I right? :lol: pwned

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Some people don't know how to smile for a camera. So instead, they open their mouth and widen their eyes to look like they're surprised/having fun, so as to increase engagement with video thumbnails and promotional posts. This got dubbed a dumb thing, and then turned into a rage comic face.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so you laugh genuinely, then freeze that expression. Congrats.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Piell posted:

Tag yourself I'm Soylent Grin.

Soyface might have started from incel memes or whatever but much like virgin/Chad memes has outgrown them

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Piell posted:

It's amazing how many words this spends talking about this face without ever actually describing what it looks like.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

It looks like travis

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Uh one big thing that explanation is missing is that it's (unsurprisingly) misogynist, because some morons believe that consuming soy raises your estrogen levels and makes you less masculine, with the good ol' suggestion that feminine = weak/lesser/pathetic. "Soyboy" and by extension "soyface" are really just calling someone the f-word or a beta cuck or whatever wonderful terms upholding toxic masculinity, so yeah, you look like a shithead using them.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

Uh one big thing that explanation is missing is that it's (unsurprisingly) misogynist, because some morons believe that consuming soy raises your estrogen levels and makes you less masculine, with the good ol' suggestion that feminine = weak/lesser/pathetic. "Soyboy" and by extension "soyface" are really just calling someone the f-word or a beta cuck or whatever wonderful terms upholding toxic masculinity, so yeah, you look like a shithead using them.

soyface is just what people call youtube-thumbnail-style 'reacts' "<:o!!" faces and it's sadly a term that gets used by plenty of people who dont attach it's origins to lovely types of critical gender theory. sadly travis makes what colloquially is known (outside of old people in this thread) "the soyface" all the time. it's not the same as calling someone the f-word or beta cuck, it's just a goofy name for a trend in thumbnails & selfies, like duck-lip selfies or dreamworks face

now if people started calling travis "soy" or something, then yeah it sets off my chud/parler alarm bells, but if you dont know that people use "soyface" all the time then you're just out of the loop

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 23, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I remember 'soy boy' being thrown around a lot by absolute morons who bought into the idea that eating soy filled you with 'plant estrogen' and turned you into a lady. Its essentially faux scientific nonsense chuds use to put a thin veneer of authority over their compulsion to bully vegetarians and vegans to prop up their own sad little idea of what masculinity is.

Basically if I see anyone use 'Soy' as part of an insult I assume they're an enormous manbaby moron with nothing of value to add to any conversation. This hasn't steered me wrong so far.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

making fun of certain types of annoying liberals by referencing soy consumption was a dumb thing decades before some 4chan genius came up with their estrogen theory lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

absolutely soy as an insult is rooted in misogynist garbage, infowars even peddled it

there are a lot of terms people use to insult people/things where i just think "drat these people are insecure as gently caress". who gives a poo poo how a person smiles, are you into phrenology

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

I remember 'soy boy' being thrown around a lot by absolute morons who bought into the idea that eating soy filled you with 'plant estrogen' and turned you into a lady. Its essentially faux scientific nonsense chuds use to put a thin veneer of authority over their compulsion to bully vegetarians and vegans to prop up their own sad little idea of what masculinity is.

Basically if I see anyone use 'Soy' as part of an insult I assume they're an enormous manbaby moron with nothing of value to add to any conversation. This hasn't steered me wrong so far.

i agree with all of this, sadly the exception is "soy face" because language is a fickle mistress and that specific combination of words "soy" and "face" has a big life now that isn't going away any time soon. i personally don't use it but i also dont think everyone who uses it is secretly a chud, because i'm not out of touch

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

* principal skinner voice *

am i out of touch?

no, travis does the soy face too much.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

personally i think Travis should start going by Travie, like Gym Class Heroes frontman Travie McCoy

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
I have never, ever, in my entire terminally online life heard the term 'soy face'. If that's a term you believe you can just use freely use and expect other people to know what you mean, you need to stop freebasing alt-right propaganda and take a deep breath. Please, for your own mental health.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

have you never, ever heard the word ever before or are you certain that its alt right propaganda lol

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

this is a really stupid conversation

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Lmao at the volume of people pretending not to understand what a phrase means despite having hundreds of hours of context

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Half of Dracula posted:

Lmao at the volume of people pretending not to understand what a phrase means despite having hundreds of hours of context

No matter how much you explain it, I still don't know what a heat rock is!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

a cyberpunk goose posted:

i agree with all of this, sadly the exception is "soy face" because language is a fickle mistress and that specific combination of words "soy" and "face" has a big life now that isn't going away any time soon. i personally don't use it but i also dont think everyone who uses it is secretly a chud, because i'm not out of touch

I will not automatically think someone is a chud if they say the word, but I absolutely will start to question where a person is consuming most of their online content if they think that it's a universal term. See also: redpill, clown world

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Folks, what Travie is doing is called "Muppetting," and it's when you open you open your mouth to smile like a Muppet, because you are part Muppet.*

I do it all the time, because my biggest actual smile doesn't show any teeth and adults were always telling me to show more teeth when I smile but my mouth and lips just won't get with the program.

*I've never seen what the brothers' mom looks like. It would explain a lot.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Fellatio del Toro posted:

making fun of certain types of annoying liberals by referencing soy consumption was a dumb thing decades before some 4chan genius came up with their estrogen theory lol

Oh yeah that's right the estrogen bollocks was mainly there to hide its racist origins lol

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

You don't have to be a chud to have internalized misogynist views, lol. It's loving omnipresent in our culture that being a feminine man in any way is pathetic and bad. The soy thing is an insult regardless of the estrogen bullshit because meat-eating is masculine and vegetarianism (and all sorts of racist poo poo tied into Asian men not being considered masculine) is not. This isn't complicated. You can pretend these terms are divorced from the actual meaning all you want but this sure sounds like the people arguing it's fine to call things gay to mean bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Folks, what Travie is doing is called "Muppetting," and it's when you open you open your mouth to smile like a Muppet, because you are part Muppet.*
Now here's a perfectly fine term for this!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

You're really invested in this one specific piece of 4chan slang, aren't you?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

You're really invested in this one specific piece of 4chan slang, aren't you?

what?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

are you simple

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Ironically reclaiming" right-wing memes does nothing but reinforce their innate message

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

"Ironically reclaiming" right-wing memes does nothing but reinforce their innate message

drat have you told this to a black person recently?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
This thread is worse than any munch squad

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
DUH-DUN DUN DUNDUN DUN DUNDUN DUN DUN DUNNNN

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

drat have you told this to a black person recently?
uh this is more like when people use 'gay' to mean 'bad' and go "well you see language evolves hrm hum hullllrrrr"

it's the opposite

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

uh this is more like when people use 'gay' to mean 'bad' and go "well you see language evolves hrm hum hullllrrrr"

it's the opposite

The argument itself was what I disagreed with.

I couldn't care less if people allow themselves to be trolled into thinking the word Soy is somehow offensive like they did with the OK hand symbol and drinking milk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

it's the opposite

Wait is reclaiming slurs what they meant by that? I had no loving idea what they were talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Thanks thread now I know way more about this stupid term than I ever wanted to