Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You can bring young Jon back and have him around for however long it takes him to grow up and close the loop with his older teen self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I disagree with that, but I am fascinated that Bendis writes multiple titles, sometimes featuring the same characters, and yet you'd swear they were written by different writers who weren't communicating with one another, nor had an editor do a pass for continuity or consistency.

I honestly don't think editors have much to do with continuity these days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

You can bring young Jon back and have him around for however long it takes him to grow up and close the loop with his older teen self.

There's also the classic 'writers can't do scale' moment of Jon being kept in a volcano for... months? Years? And it having literally no impact on his personality. Like, yes, an ordeal like that for a week or two is something that a kid might bounce back from, if they're used to extremes like Jon, but...

The really galling thing is Bendis IS good at doing trauma. It's just really, really obvious when he doesn't give a poo poo about it.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I'm a fan of Kurt Busiek. I recently saw Marvel put out an Omnibus of his run on Conan the Barbarian. Since its a Kurt Busiek run I've never read I'm interested.

However, I have never read Conan outside the occasional page or panel posted on random threads. As such I Know very little about the character/world of Conan.

Can I just jump into Busieks run or will I be completely lost?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can jump in with ease, it's amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nyeehg posted:

So I'm a fan of Kurt Busiek. I recently saw Marvel put out an Omnibus of his run on Conan the Barbarian. Since its a Kurt Busiek run I've never read I'm interested.

However, I have never read Conan outside the occasional page or panel posted on random threads. As such I Know very little about the character/world of Conan.

Can I just jump into Busieks run or will I be completely lost?

100% you can just start with it. It's basically a Conan reboot and hits adaptations of some of the most popular stories.

And if you do like it, don't feel like you're reading the same thing if you go back to 70's Conan. Those are distinct stories as well.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah that's one of the nice things about his run. It doesnt replace or supercede the previous stuff, it's just more of it told in an inimitable Busiek fashion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
DCU Infinite has collections that cover the 'triangle' era of the Superman titles, but the first one has gaps as early as 'triangle' #3, so are the missing a title? It seems to cover Superman, Action and Adventures of Superman?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wikipedia says:
To coordinate the storyline and sequence of event, from January 1991 to January 2002, "triangle numbers" (or "shield numbers") appeared on the cover of each Superman comic book. During these years, the Superman storylines ran with the story continuing through the titles Superman, Action Comics and later in two further series, Superman: The Man of Steel and Superman: The Man of Tomorrow

Edit: a random Google spreadsheet I found says #3 was Action Comics 661, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I did some digging and there's a weird gap in Action on there from around 660 to about 671.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The four Superbooks during the Triangle Number era were Superman, Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, and Superman: The Man of Steel.

Superman: The Man of Tomorrow was a quarterly, to fill in the weeks of the year that one of the main four titles wasn't scheduled to ship.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Do Billy and Tommy consider Vision their dad or have any kind of relationship with him?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

Do Billy and Tommy consider Vision their dad or have any kind of relationship with him?

I don't think so, I haven't read Children's Crusade but I've read most everything else they're in before Empyre.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

radlum posted:

The Vision they are most familiar with is the copy of the originals data inhabiting the Iron Lad armor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nadia probably has them in her family tree, though.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

In another world, it would've been canon that Viv Vision considers them family

https://twitter.com/audkoch/status/1100960046349873153

Edit: Has there been an old Marvel superhero (I mean, like real-life old. Like a Timely character) who was retroactively made a mutant? I thought about Toro, but reading his wiki, it turns out he got re-retroactively made an inhuman.
Edit edit: Besides Namor.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 22, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

Edit: Has there been an old Marvel superhero (I mean, like real-life old. Like a Timely character) who was retroactively made a mutant? I thought about Toro, but reading his wiki, it turns out he got re-retroactively made an inhuman.

Dr. Nemesis I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That tree's a bit wonky, Nadia is Hank's daughter by Maria, Jan just adopted her.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why is it Viv and not Dee :thunk:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wait, did Nekra marry the Grim Reaper?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is Taskmaster a mutant? Wikipedia says he was born with powers so I assume so, but I’ve never read enough with him to know if he’s considered a mutant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is Taskmaster a mutant? Wikipedia says he was born with powers so I assume so, but I’ve never read enough with him to know if he’s considered a mutant.

No, he's got 'photographic reflexes' which is apparently like a super-powered version of being double jointed. It is in theory something any human can have but does not involve the X-gene.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Vincent posted:

This is amazing; thanks. I still wish we had gotten Cain’s Vision miniseries

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I believe he's supposed to have gotten that from a SHIELD super serum that he stole, but that may have been retconned by now

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I think the Namor thing came from him being called a mutant prior to X-Men #1 (in Fantastic Four), but I'd need to double check that.

Whizzer got retconned into being a mutant who didn't have his powers activated until he injected himself with mongoose blood. Which begs the question, how many mutants are out there who have no idea until they try doing something in equal parts random and insane?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sesq posted:

I think the Namor thing came from him being called a mutant prior to X-Men #1 (in Fantastic Four), but I'd need to double check that.

Namor was called a mutant in Marvel Comics #1. You know, the one from 1939.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

This is also an interesting point, since being born with powers is a-ok, but if you develop them during puberty, you're a mutant destined to be hated and feared.
The puberty stuff is still a thing, right?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Vincent posted:

This is also an interesting point, since being born with powers is a-ok, but if you develop them during puberty, you're a mutant destined to be hated and feared.
The puberty stuff is still a thing, right?
It is, although some mutants seem to have their powers or look different when they are born. This really has to do with early X-men not being totally planned out. Beast's father worked at a nuclear power plant which was given as the reason for his mutation which he had at birth. In addition in Giant Size Fantastic Four #4 it was revealed that Jamie Madrox/Multiple Man had his powers from birth. When he was slapped by doctor as an infant he immediately multiplied. Peter Allen David retconned this as being a type of mutant called killcrops, but it is not very important or mentioned much.

edit: Kind of also relevant is Franklin Richards. I feel like if you were born with powers at the time he existed in Marvel you were called a mutant, even though it seemed like a big portion of his powers came from his parent's exposure to cosmic rays. He was called a mutant however and was considered one for 50 years until recently when it was retconned that he no longer was. Artie and Leech seem to have their powers way before puberty as well.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 22, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Didn't the distinguish the FF/Spidey as mutates for a while, as their powers were the result of a science accident??

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I always remember it as just a weird neurological peculiarity. Bullseye is the same I think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Didn't the distinguish the FF/Spidey as mutates for a while, as their powers were the result of a science accident??

Yeah. Technically that's still in effect but I don't think anybody cares except maybe Sentinels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You need pure Aryan x gene blood to be allowed into the Reich krakoa

site fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 23, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senator Kelly was right.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of wondered how the Krakoa stuff works. Like if a mutant has a non x-gene sibling/parent/friend/etc can they live on Krakoa?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There are humans that are allowed to live on a part of Krakoa. They can not be resurrected by the island though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Madkal posted:

I kind of wondered how the Krakoa stuff works. Like if a mutant has a non x-gene sibling/parent/friend/etc can they live on Krakoa?

Northstar's husband is there, dunno who else. I don't think Jubilee's kid is a mutant although he was briefly a dragon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FilthyImp posted:

More specifically both mutants and mutates get their powers from rewritten dna, the difference was that mutants were born with different dna whereas mutates had theirs altered in life.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

There are humans that are allowed to live on a part of Krakoa. They can not be resurrected by the island though.

How Wonderful! posted:

Northstar's husband is there, dunno who else. I don't think Jubilee's kid is a mutant although he was briefly a dragon.

That'll be an awkward conversation if it comes to it.

edit: I wonder if he knows, like does he get a special Welcome to Krakoa gift basket with a note that says "You may see that we've conquered death, but you're still very mortal! Enjoy your stay on Krakoa!"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 23, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure the humans that know about the resurrection protocols know they aren't part of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

isn't there there's at least one person who's had their memories altered and is living out the rest of their life on like Krakoa's south beach and possibly feeling vaguely confused?