Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

track day bro! posted:

oh i forgot to make an f1 op, in these uncertain times can anybody say that we should be watching the sport of formula 1

Nice work ethic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also, Thatcherites constantly scream about the French and Italians being lazy and complacent (and also that their welfare states are too generous), which isn't actually true. At least their auto industries still exist.

Probably the most frustrating thing about the UK is that they have immensely talented and creative engineers , but their managerial and political class make terrible decisions. It's why Lotus, Rolls, and Bentley all use Japanese (the former) or German (the latter) engines and platforms now.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i mean i dunno for how much longer i'm pretty sure all the french and italian carmakers sans renault are now like one company mostly

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
also dodge chrysler whatever

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

track day bro! posted:

oh i forgot to make an f1 op, in these uncertain times can anybody say that we should be watching the sport of formula 1
A bold ideological claim you put forth, divorced from reality, that F1 is a sport

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

also dodge chrysler whatever

I think dodge/Chrysler has like two models now that aren’t minivans/SUVs. The whole mega merger poo poo FCA keeps aiming for doesn’t make a ton of sense tbh and ironically smells a lot like British Leyland’s collapse to me. FCA can’t be assed to fork out the money for a new car platform but apparently buying half the French auto industry is a good idea.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
is the challenger still based off like a 90s mercedes sedan platform

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To my knowledge both it and the 300C still have some residual Mercedes DNA in them but I haven’t really kept up so that could’ve changed. If it has then I’m suprised.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/insideFDA/status/1352661578819260421

Congratulations to Wang Maya in joining the FDA.

#girlsontrack #essereFDA #thatfatguyfrommercedesjoinedthevirtualdriversroster?ihadnoidea

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

Gee this Brexit thing was poorly thought out yeah?

It's cool and good OP because we are free to make our laws again without German tyranny about the shape of our bananas

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
lets all buy plymouth horizons

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

lets all buy plymouth horizons

If one came up for the right price I’d probably take a punt on one tbh.

A lancia beta turned up here a few weeks back for some absurd price but it looked good enough that I had to think about it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
it's kinda wild that it was a french designed car then released in the US and at some point it came with a VW engine over there

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Lawrence Stroll definitely Grinded and worked for all the bread ✊

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

To my knowledge both it and the 300C still have some residual Mercedes DNA in them but I haven’t really kept up so that could’ve changed. If it has then I’m suprised.

It's true, to a degree. I think the 300C's rear suspension is from a W210.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

it's kinda wild that it was a french designed car then released in the US and at some point it came with a VW engine over there

Those VW engines are a loving work of art tbh and I think VW could’ve made a shitload of cash just selling them to the Americans when emissions regulations kept ramping up

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

My understanding of Brits and their work ethic is they loving LOVE bodging about making 1 offs and 2 offs; but suggest throwing it into production and they get bored real quick.

I aspire to be that

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

the corona quid posted:

Those VW engines are a loving work of art tbh and I think VW could’ve made a shitload of cash just selling them to the Americans when emissions regulations kept ramping up

my old mkiv golf that was built in 1999 had a motor that dated back to like the mkii golf it was like 1.6 sohc motor that was unkillable and pretty much just had basic oil/filter changes. what didn't help was the rest of the car was built like poo poo, they used so much incredibly brittle plastic in that era.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

the corona quid posted:

A lancia beta turned up here a few weeks back for some absurd price but it looked good enough that I had to think about it.
If I had a moderately stupid amount of spare cash I'd buy a Beta Montecarlo.

And also a heated, dehumidified garage to keep it in.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah the mk3s is when the actual build quality of the cars starts to go off for me but those engines are fundamentally unkillable. I had the idle bearing for the timing belt seize and then move to a 45 degree angle relative to where it should be sitting on my Scirocco 3 hours out of town and I just drove it home and then continued daily driving it for another two weeks till I could be bothered to replace it. Most other engines it probably would’ve just totalled the engine on the spot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Back when I did TSD rallies it was always hilarious to hear other engines before and after the 12 hours of driving on dirt and gravel roads. Some poor kid brought a turbo ZX on one and the thing sounded minutes from death at the end, meanwhile I’d just throw a half litre of oil to replace the stuff the crank would throw up the intake and it’d be good as gold again.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Fixed it

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i havent seen a Scirocco on the road for years now tho, well the classic one. still plenty of the new one based on the mk5 or 6 golf

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I didn’t see a single one of the new Sciroccos when I was in Europe, was kind of disappointed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also just remembered that I caved in the oil pan twice on the Scirocco and just kept driving it for months on end till it was warm enough to replace it with zero issues lol

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
have you considered bolting a scirocco engine to a tony kart

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the corona quid posted:

Normally I would say no but MotoGP announced they’re having two Qatar GPs so now I’m thinking it’s a toss up whether you should watch F1 🤷🏼‍♂️

gotta give ducati a leg up

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

the corona quid posted:

Rebus aside I was under the impression that’s what Williams have been doing for several years now

Harsh but true.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

the paradigm shift posted:

gotta give ducati a leg up

Marquez is halfway towards being an amputee and Yamaha completely gimped themselves and can’t fix it. What the gently caress more do they want?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

the corona quid posted:

Rebus aside I was under the impression that’s what Williams have been doing for several years now

God honest truth I make the pdfs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

lmfao

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
To be fair I've never seen a bad Williams pdf, Rebus may be the only one there doing a stellar job

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

I also make killer PowerPoints.

OneNote can do one.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Wow, I was pretty certain this season was going to be a McLaren vs Williams fight for the championship, and Jenson joining completely confirms it. Very smart from Sir Lewis to refuse the Mercedes contract while he figures out which team has the edge.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rebus posted:

God honest truth I make the pdfs.

Can you get promoted to making pdfs for the FIA and fix how awful they are

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lando vs Are George battling week after week for the top step on the podium

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rebus posted:

OneNote can do one.

Works for Williams, good at making PowerPoint's.

:hmm:

Are you really George Russell?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Rebus posted:

OneNote can do one.

Are you kidding me with OneNote? I won't even consider looking at a PowerPoint that wasn't prepared in a cast iron teflon zojirushi air fryer with fuzzy logic.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

England is the joke Australia desperately emulates, and that's the biggest joke to New Zealanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

ewe2 posted:

England is the joke Australia desperately emulates, and that's the biggest joke to New Zealanders.

As an Australian I can assure you, we are not trying to emulate England in the slightest.

We are going for more of a USA type deal.

Its up to you to decide which is worse.