Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
There is actually a serious point behind that post, Scotland has cultural significance massively disproportionate to its population imo. Half the population of NI are tethered to the UK via Scotland

and all the stuff that's been invented there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

knox_harrington posted:

I guess a few posters here were in London that year before magic mushrooms were made illegal? Every other shop on Camden High Street was selling punnets of them for a fiver.

It was pretty cool, people would just turn up to a barbecue with a load of shrooms instead of a bottle of wine or whatever.

It was a magical time, for sure. I spent a looot of time that year tripping in Amsterdam’s of London there, when they had a little cafe set up in the basement. They’d also sell weed under the counter back then and let you smoke it in the shop. Kind of crazy to think about now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
but still, nobody likes a whinger

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

You certainly don't see British nationalist politicians Photoshopped poorly onto the cover of Mein Kampf, like Kieth or Priti Patel. Just a funny oversight I'm sure.
Someone called?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shyrka posted:

Totally love how every time Scotland gets mentioned in the thread a bunch of people crawl out of the woodwork to tell us all how nationalism is a disease, very normal and cool.

I mean if there were a number of posters telling us that English nationalism is cool and good and extolling the inherent superiority of the people living inside the magic line on the map there'd probably be a fairly strong reaction to that, I'm sure.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Someone called?

That's more like it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
English nationalism should be promoted by the nationalists of the other nations, surely

the sooner to have themselves hived off the... is England a motherland or a fatherland? I've never understood why Russia is a motherland but generally your fascist countries be menfolk

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean if there were a number of posters telling us that English nationalism is cool and good and extolling the inherent superiority of the people living inside the magic line on the map there'd probably be a fairly strong reaction to that, I'm sure.

No one's doing that. All that has to happen is someone has to mention Scotland existing and the 'nationalism is a disease' posts come out immediately.

It never comes up in any other context. It's very clearly meant to shut down any talk about Scotland and tell us to gently caress off and be quiet.

edit: Like genuinely, the entire inclusive/comraderey feel of the thread goes out the window and it gets extremely weird and hostile every time Scotland comes up.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Are you being oppressed, op?

I will not have the Scots oppressed on this forum, I will loving poo poo anyone who tries it you mark my words

don't you worry, op :ssh:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Yeah it's a loving micro-aggression or whatever, I can't compare it to what Palestinians go through for example, it's just very tiring. Someone mentions something about scotpol, Alex Salmond's a sexmonster, whatever but oh no someone's got to come in unprompted and remind us all that nationalism is a disease. This is a reminder we always have to get when Scotland comes up but you can mention any other country in the world without it needing to be mentioned. We're diseased, we're bad, how dare we. Scotland wanting to become independent is exactly the same as skinheads chanting about no black in the union jack.

It's just tiring.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I mean i am from Ni so I have a very distinct take on nationalism. Like here is a place where an actual majority of younger people have made a new identity that is liberated from two warring nationalisms just to loving be able to get on with life

but yes nationalism is more nuanced than lumping people who like to wear kilts to work and vote SNP in with EDL skinheads, you definitely have a point there

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But enough about the Northern Independence Party.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
honestly, a disease is a poor model. diseases are natural things, mostly, people pass them on unconsciously and largely without blame - no, nationalism as mind poison is a much better framing of it. that associates with the negative connotation and intent of "poison" and hangs it rhetorically with something like a narcotic without out and out stating as such.

develop more persuasive ways of calling out social ills.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
well i mean there are tangible regional power imbalances that really exist

and any sentient being who is aware of an imbalance of power against them on this mortal coil has every right for to kick off imo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I wonder if it might be a good time to start using the scotpol thread for this stuff again, as there's probably going to be more of it as the holyrood vote in may snd its aftermath goes on, have all the eternally recurring arguments about nationalism concentrated in one place

We do still have a scotpol thread hiding somewhere

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
can i just say that i'm dead against that, the NI posters here manage to keep up with each other just fine and i think it's important people here learn about what's going on in the whole of the country while it lasts

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
honestly i feel like it's been tried more or less on and off since the referendum and it's literally never sustained itself. nothing wrong with the idea but it didn't work - repeatedly, iirc? we're just too small compared to the impossible waves of US interest D&D to keep two threads going unless it's one poster doing periodic effortposts like that uk rail privatization thread.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
well yes and there's an actual good, positive benefit in that UKMT readers get to see more stuff about scottish politics

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I too think this thread gets un-comradely when scotland comes up sometimes but I'd rather scotpol stuff gets posted here so I can read it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

if nationalism is such mind poison how come's it nobody tells palestinians off for wanting a two state solution :thunk:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I think the crux of it though is that England is such a massive constituent and it's just offensive to lump together say Geordies and Scousers with little englanders

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ms Adequate posted:

if nationalism is such mind poison how come's it nobody tells palestinians off for wanting a two state solution :thunk:

well, as i have explained before, it is unambiguously justified in the face of brutal colonial imperialism, everything is. terrorism is - nelson mandela was unambiguously justified even though he would have been comfortable doing terrible things. it doesn't mean i need to be morally comfortable with terrorism, just appreciative that in the face of state terror was both necessary and justified, unfortunately.

Mr Phillby posted:

I too think this thread gets un-comradely when scotland comes up sometimes but I'd rather scotpol stuff gets posted here so I can read it.

oh i have, i think it's fair to say always preferred scotland. i tried very hard to go to uni there just this year, even, simply because even though i thought the timeline was unlikely i'd love another passport. i suspect i will always have an affection for it on a personal level, and consider it a shame i never wound up living up there. oh well.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and the londoners who aren't shitheads

it's sad because there was so much potential for us to do stuff together, it could have been very good :(

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and politely - no one comes in here and goes "oh man english nationalism is so great/ethical" for reasons that seem extremely self evident. i talk about english nationalism or unionism in a negative way whenever they come up, as i happily will now it sucks rear end and is very funny sometimes, i have described the conservative party as an english nationalist party on numerous occasions and it is hard to describe starmer's labour as much anything else. i will also talk your ear off about the negatives of canadian nationalism, as clear a settlerist tumour on the planet that there ever was. it was ever thus.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lol come to think about it, a thoroughly left wing government right now would be the one thing that could hold the country together

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
as it is though these will be our last years together

bring in games to play and we can all go home at lunch time

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

crispix posted:

as it is though these will be our last years together

bring in games to play and we can all go home at lunch time

it definitely has a surreal, twilight of the united kingdom feel right now huh? shame.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Sorry to keep saying it but as a NI person the break up of the UK was always seen as inevitable here, eventually. The government of the UK voluntarily committing economic and political suicide in front of the entire world was however unexpected and will massively accellerate the inevitable

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crispix posted:

and any sentient being who is aware of an imbalance of power against them on this mortal coil has every right for to kick off imo

oh goody, I'll tell my fellow porridge goblins that you've given us the nod.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i really don't understand what you're talking about

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On a personal level, codeine is how WhatEvil describes it. just loving lovely.

On a more general level, my grand-dad was from cork, so i think I can apply for an IE/EUpassport if i can find the right paperwork

on a ScotPol level, i am glad it gets posted itt, but at the same time tho i hate the smug loving snp voters, saying any day we will get independence (although i understand it).

you were lied to in the last referendum. "the only chance to remain in the EU is with the UK". get over it. every voter is lied to. That is why england votes tory.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
If your granda was born on the island of Ireland you are entitled to Irish citizenship

and yes I lived in Edinburgh for 5 years encompassing the entire referendum and it was insufferable

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and to contribute belatedly to the drugs chat there i have only ever done alcohol (in the form of ale and very occasionally wine) and i had morphine for the first time last March when i had to gan till A&E with a prolapsed lumbar disc and it made the waiting room i had spend 2 hours in prior very much more hospitable of a place and it took on a pink and peach hue and became very much warmer and suddenly very welcoming and fuzzy

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crispix posted:

and to contribute belatedly to the drugs chat there i have only ever done alcohol (in the form of ale and very occasionally wine) and i had morphine for the first time last March when i had to gan till A&E with a prolapsed lumbar disc and it made the waiting room i had spend 2 hours in prior very much more hospitable of a place and it took on a pink and peach hue and became very much warmer and suddenly very welcoming and fuzzy

Got any Morphine pills left??? pm me

I remember being on zomorph and oromorph after the last op. The oromorph the nurse would give you then gently caress off. The slow-release zomorph pill, she made sure u swallowed it before leaving.

My dad has i think all the paperwork i need for an ie passport. just need to set the wheels in motion.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
You should be entitled to Irish citizenship, mate, i sent you the forms there

crispix fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 23, 2021

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crispix posted:

You should be entitled to Irish citizenship, mate, i sent you the forms there

cheers mate, have pm'ed you

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean there's also the fact that this is the UKMT, and Scotland is part of the UK.

Most of the time when the diversions go north of the border, it's because someone discusses something Labour should do, the scots emerge to point out how it won't work because of Scottish issues, one particular group of posters gets pissy and tells them to shut up, someone calls someone else racist, and we end up not discussing the issues facing just under a third of the landmass we live on.

I'm English by the way but I don't get the scotpol hate.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

After Brexit looked inevitable I scoured my family tree for any Irish or Italian ancestry and came up blank so I'm jealous.

All my predecessors lived in the same lovely corner of England for generations unfortunately

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean there's also the fact that this is the UKMT, and Scotland is part of the UK.

Most of the time when the diversions go north of the border, it's because someone discusses something Labour should do, the scots emerge to point out how it won't work because of Scottish issues, one particular group of posters gets pissy and tells them to shut up, someone calls someone else racist, and we end up not discussing the issues facing just under a third of the landmass we live on.

I'm English by the way but I don't get the scotpol hate.

why's the landmass important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
like just basic geography wise i don't think that's fair