Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A guy I know who just moved to Vancouver is wanting to buy a condo and asked me "Is Bosa a decent developer?"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

These days there is no such thing. All new condos are basically hot garbage with shiny stainless steel appliances.

He's better off buying a unit in an older building that's already had its major repairs accounted for.

or rent lol

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah a guy I worked with bought a condo ten years ago, and he was explaining about how you have to check the age of the building, and factor in the special assessments that will happen like clockwork for replacing the roof, etc. And that was just taking into account the stupidity of strata councils, never mind the steady decrease in quality over the past ten years.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Cold on a Cob posted:

The bubble is going to pop the second I take on a 500k mortgage to buy a two bedroom condo. In the two weeks after I close I fully expect my equity to turn into dust.

poo poo man, a couple months ago it was a townhouse :( What happened?

We were in the same boat - both looking at houses and stuff. My wife lost her job last week so we had to put a pause on our search. The ultimate irony being that her coworkers (including the guy who let her go) were all beating the same drum of advice of "Sometimes you just gotta jump in both feet wet; yeah it'll be hard at first but it'll get easier". 1 month later - let go. Cunts.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Slotducks posted:

poo poo man, a couple months ago it was a townhouse :( What happened?

We were in the same boat - both looking at houses and stuff. My wife lost her job last week so we had to put a pause on our search. The ultimate irony being that her coworkers (including the guy who let her go) were all beating the same drum of advice of "Sometimes you just gotta jump in both feet wet; yeah it'll be hard at first but it'll get easier". 1 month later - let go. Cunts.

Well condo apartment or condo townhouse, we'll see. We don't really _need_ a townhouse so if we find a condo apartment we love we'll jump on it. We took December off and procrastinated since Covid is flaring again but hopefully start actually looking in a week or so, Covid or no.

I'm nervous though, all things considered. I make the bulk of our income so if I were to lose my job and we didn't have a cushion, things could get bad fast, so we're thinking about buying a cheaper/smaller place to be safe. 2BR is as small as we can go though.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cold on a Cob posted:

Well condo apartment or condo townhouse, we'll see. We don't really _need_ a townhouse so if we find a condo apartment we love we'll jump on it. We took December off and procrastinated since Covid is flaring again but hopefully start actually looking in a week or so, Covid or no.

I'm nervous though, all things considered. I make the bulk of our income so if I were to lose my job and we didn't have a cushion, things could get bad fast, so we're thinking about buying a cheaper/smaller place to be safe. 2BR is as small as we can go though.

Get a load of this fuckin guy not getting the biggest baddest mortgage his income can afford, actually thinking an emergency fund and financial stability is a good idea. That’s not how it’s done in this part of the world Chuckie.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat posted:

Get a load of this fuckin guy not getting the biggest baddest mortgage his income can afford, actually thinking an emergency fund and financial stability is a good idea. That’s not how it’s done in this part of the world Chuckie.

Crazy man. I bet he actually does due diligence on the property he's interested in, too. What a maroon.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But if you max out your credit to buy the biggest possible house, how are you going to get another loan for a new Dodge Ram Rebel Crew Cab? Or do you get that first?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

eXXon posted:

But if you max out your credit to buy the biggest possible house, how are you going to get another loan for a new Dodge Ram Rebel Crew Cab? Or do you get that first?

You make sure your mortgage comes bundled with a HELOC and buy the pickup truck using that

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

A guy I know who just moved to Vancouver is wanting to buy a condo and asked me "Is Bosa a decent developer?"

lol

I've seen way worse. I'm living in one of their buildings right now and I lived in an older one in the past, and they're both way better than the non-Bosa building I lived in. Like, orders of magnitude better. There are flaws, they aren't nearly as bad as in that other building.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Condos just generally don't seem like a great idea to buy

Aren't they actually going DOWN in price right now too

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PT6A posted:

I've seen way worse. I'm living in one of their buildings right now and I lived in an older one in the past, and they're both way better than the non-Bosa building I lived in. Like, orders of magnitude better. There are flaws, they aren't nearly as bad as in that other building.

I’ve heard Bosa are okay actually. I have also heard avoid Onni like the bubonic plague.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1351934698050633728

Overwhelming majority of people already own property!

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1351937390156292096

Home reno boom is real, and certain other segments of the economy got annihilated! (I'm a bit sad because I moved last year knowing I'd want to do around 75-100k in improvements in the year or so after moving and while I got everything booked for the first phase before the reno wave really took off, everything is moving far slower than I'd like on phase II. Months of waiting after signing, etc.)

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I recently learned (possibly even from this thread) that Nova Scotia saw California's famous proposition 13 (property tax permanently tied to purchase price of the property) and thought "hey, that's a good idea" in 2005 and used it for inspiration.

Basically, their property assessment process does not permit the assessed value of a owner-occupied property to rise by more than CPI which, at the very least, must have a fairly entertaining impact on standard real estate "% above assessment" and "last year's property tax" metrics.

Anyway, they have a map online with dwelling-level data on who is being subsidized / footing the bill for this. It's kind of neat in the abstract sense as it's also a guide to neighbourhood mobility - https://nsfm.ca/cap_map.html#13.39/44.64744/-63.61586. And also "cute" that when you turn on the neighbourhood income colours, it's mostly the wealthier areas being subsidized.

I'm sure that everybody flips out at the first mention of property taxes increasing 1-2% more than inflation and how unaffordable this is for pensioners, regardless.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sassafras posted:

I recently learned (possibly even from this thread) that Nova Scotia saw California's famous proposition 13 (property tax permanently tied to purchase price of the property) and thought "hey, that's a good idea" in 2005 and used it for inspiration.

Basically, their property assessment process does not permit the assessed value of a owner-occupied property to rise by more than CPI which, at the very least, must have a fairly entertaining impact on standard real estate "% above assessment" and "last year's property tax" metrics.

Anyway, they have a map online with dwelling-level data on who is being subsidized / footing the bill for this. It's kind of neat in the abstract sense as it's also a guide to neighbourhood mobility - https://nsfm.ca/cap_map.html#13.39/44.64744/-63.61586. And also "cute" that when you turn on the neighbourhood income colours, it's mostly the wealthier areas being subsidized.

I'm sure that everybody flips out at the first mention of property taxes increasing 1-2% more than inflation and how unaffordable this is for pensioners, regardless.

That's completely different from Prop 13? Property Assessment is not property tax.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Throatwarbler posted:

That's completely different from Prop 13? Property Assessment is not property tax.

It's a direct proxy since property taxes are levied as a mill rate against assessed value.

The only difference is that that if property prices go stagnant for decades the inflation-capped assessment might eventually catch up.

"According to the Canadian Real Estate Association, the average home in Halifax sold for $297,466 in August, compared to $239,758 in August of 2019."

Buy one year later than the identical place next door and that's potentially a 25% higher property tax bill for life. Get a few years of compounding thirty percent increases like certain other places have seen...

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Sassafras posted:

It's a direct proxy since property taxes are levied as a mill rate against assessed value.

The only difference is that that if property prices go stagnant for decades the inflation-capped assessment might eventually catch up.

"According to the Canadian Real Estate Association, the average home in Halifax sold for $297,466 in August, compared to $239,758 in August of 2019."

Buy one year later than the identical place next door and that's potentially a 25% higher property tax bill for life. Get a few years of compounding thirty percent increases like certain other places have seen...

In most of Nova Scotia, you can get a house for under $200k. Most people own their houses. The law was put in to protect those people from foreign investors driving up the prices.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

brucio posted:

In most of Nova Scotia, you can get a house for under $200k. Most people own their houses. The law was put in to protect those people from foreign investors driving up the prices.

Lol what the gently caress are you talking about? The average price of a home in Nova Scotia is $320K, and that includes condos and townhouses.

My sister in law bought a house in Halifax* three years ago, and she had to go half an hour's drive outside the city and still paid $350K.

That law, like the law in California, is completely about protecting boomer wealth at the expense of younger generations.

* Population-wise, Halifax and its exurbs is most of Nova Scotia.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol what the gently caress are you talking about? The average price of a home in Nova Scotia is $320K, and that includes condos and townhouses.

My sister in law bought a house in Halifax* three years ago, and she had to go half an hour's drive outside the city and still paid $350K.

That law, like the law in California, is completely about protecting boomer wealth at the expense of younger generations.

* Population-wise, Halifax and its exurbs is most of Nova Scotia.

I'm talking geography. I've been looking at decent houses in Cape Breton for sale for under $100k. Of course, Halifax and it's suburbs and exhurbs are not like that.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
That's not a particularly useful statement if most of NS's population is concentrated around Halifax.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

mila kunis posted:

That's not a particularly useful statement if most of NS's population is concentrated around Halifax.

It's not, HRM is less than half of the NS population.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

The USUAL SUSPECTS are dooming the housing market again.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Sounds more like they're making a strong case for the government to make absolutely sure they prop things up to stave off a scary collapse.

And, by God, the government and central banks are ready to keep doing so to keep our economy humming!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

sitchensis posted:

These days there is no such thing. All new condos are basically hot garbage with shiny stainless steel appliances.

He's better off buying a unit in an older building that's already had its major repairs accounted for.

or rent lol

This cannot be emphasized enough.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Renting is pretty good compared to buying tbqh.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The only reason we decided to look at buying again is because we are facing probable eviction this year. Our rent in a new place will go up $400 per month minimum if that happens (this is after factoring in the rental market drops) so numbers to buy look attractive in our situation, especially with condos dropping in price in the Toronto area.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

quote:

Canada’s top central banker isn’t worried about the country’s hot housing market, saying low interest rates and demand for space rather than speculation are behind the price gains.

Accommodative monetary policy, a preference for more living area and the ability to work from home during the pandemic are the main reasons demand for single-family homes across the country has been so robust, Tiff Macklem said Wednesday in an interview with Bloomberg News.

“Because people are working from home, they don’t need to commute,” Macklem said via video-conference. “Many people feel that even after the pandemic there is going to be more flexibility in many workplaces to work from home than there was in the past. Also,, all those empty AirBnB's will soon be filled by Amazon employees happy to pay $3000/month in rent. ”

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/bank-of-canada-governor-isn-t-worried-about-a-housing-bubble-1.1551734

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
are we SURE that last line wasn't written by the beaverton

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Canadian Debt Thread: accommodative monetary policy

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

In Vancouver Amazon has enough leased space in a office tower under construction to fit 10,000 employees according to real estate experts. Does Amazon have a presence in Toronto too?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

They've got multiple floors in multiple buildings downtown, so yeah, they've got space in Toronto.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

There's def been uh, an increasing reluctance to go to the USA during the Trump years. It'll be interesting to see if that trend reverses now that there's a democrat in charge, and if Canada gets a "brain drain" again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ah yes that company Amazon, famous for *checks notes* paying it's employees wages that are high enough that they won't bat an eye at $3k a month in rent.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Amazon has a lot of software people that are very well compensated, even if they have a lot of poorly paid warehouse workers.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/1353032786840608768

A thread that may either depress you or not!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Another Canadian real estate bear in full capitulation mode:

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/1353032786840608768?s=19

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Shouldn't this graph be starting at 0%? Also what is a "house price"? This just reads like noise to me.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

HookShot posted:

Ah yes that company Amazon, famous for *checks notes* paying it's employees wages that are high enough that they won't bat an eye at $3k a month in rent.

I mean I don't know about now, but in Vancouver a year back they had waves of recruiting for devs at around 130-140k for intermediate experience.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Mantle posted:

Shouldn't this graph be starting at 0%? Also what is a "house price"? This just reads like noise to me.

It's measuring the year-over-year change in real (inflation adjusted) housing prices.

When prices decline, the percentage change is negative, which is why the y-axis covers both negative and positive numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Crow Buddy posted:

Amazon has a lot of software people that are very well compensated, even if they have a lot of poorly paid warehouse workers.

Even if they were paying American-sized salaries to Canadians, which they aren't, there aren't enough Amazon employees in Toronto or Vancouver to prop up the market.