Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Elissimpark posted:

I realise that they're the same value, it just seemed weird to write it down like that. Frogbs has used identical caps as per the build list, but the Kulk website photo has two different types of caps in those slots. I was more wondering if there was a typo.

https://kulk.bandcamp.com/merch/void-fuzz-guitar-pedal

That's a good point, I might email them to see if maybe there's a misprint in the instructions. I did think that the 47nF and .47uF values were a little strange, given that they're the same. That would certainly be a pretty easy fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

People write cap values weirdly and inconsistently all the time. 4700pf where 4.7nf would do, etc.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Elissimpark posted:

It seems odd the parts list has one as 47nF and the second as .47uF.

I got in touch with the guy who made the board and he listed the value for C2 wrong, it should be 0.47nf! Going to go order some now...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

frogbs posted:

I got in touch with the guy who made the board and he listed the value for C2 wrong, it should be 0.47nf! Going to go order some now...

You mean 470pf? 😊

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You mean 470pf? 😊

The Farad must be the silliest SI unit. Always makes me think of the Triangic Pu from Hitchhiker's Guide.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You mean 470pf? 😊

Oops, I meant 0.00047uF :downs:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Anybody here heard of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDIbox ? I think it's a DIY thing with open source software, might be worth a look.
Also: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I was contemplating a MIDIBox SID a loooong time ago, but back then they seemed too daunting to attempt. Now I use a mssiah cart instead because I don't feel great about gutting a working C64.

Totally had a synthboner for the MIDIBox seq back then too, but these days I prefer sequencing in a DAW.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Right, this probably belongs in stupid music poo poo, but I figured the wires I was using to make temporary connections were amplifying noise so soldering everything in place sorted it out.

I then realised that the volume level between my Wine Cellar preamp pedal + amp and my amp alone is pretty big. Gee, a volume knob on your bass would SURE BE HANDY, DICKHEAD.

Anyway, I put a single volume knob back in, pups are in series and put in a kill switch for shits and giggles:

Of course, the ticking is back and the tone cap isn't doing its thing, but that's a problem for future me.

(Does anyone know what the solderless connection things that EMG use are called? My soldering is getting better, but still pretty crap and the internal wiring is slowly getting shorter and shorter...)

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 14, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Bit of a different sort of DIY, but I recently read the Autotune patent out of curiosity. Even the most in-depth writing on it shrouds the actual algorithm in hand-wavey "brain genius math stuff" mystery, which left me unsatisfied.

On deciphering the actual patent, I was intrigued by the elegant simplicity and raw pitch tracking power promised by its one weird trick for efficient autocorellation. And if I want to understand it better, naturally I have to build one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTg-6ga5QVo

This is just the tracking part, all coded up in ReaJS (seriously, Reaper has been an amazing tool for doing this with). Still some work to do in order to get perfect tracking, but once that's done the pitch correction part is trivial.

snorch fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 15, 2021

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

(Does anyone know what the solderless connection things that EMG use are called? My soldering is getting better, but still pretty crap and the internal wiring is slowly getting shorter and shorter...)
I've used "Breadboard Jumper Wires" to solder quick-connect internals. Is that what you're looking for?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nebraska Tim posted:

I've used "Breadboard Jumper Wires" to solder quick-connect internals. Is that what you're looking for?

If you can get female connectors then, yeah. I've got a bunch of the males, just wasn't sure if there was a special name for them.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

If you can get female connectors then, yeah. I've got a bunch of the males, just wasn't sure if there was a special name for them.

Should be set then, here's what I use to replace EMG connections.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nebraska Tim posted:

Should be set then, here's what I use to replace EMG connections.

Oh fantastic, the EMG connections are exactly what I was thinking of. Trust there's no problem with them shaking loose? What do you use for the jack connections?

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Oh fantastic, the EMG connections are exactly what I was thinking of. Trust there's no problem with them shaking loose? What do you use for the jack connections?

Never had any concern about shaking loose; you can tell as soon as you connect the ends if the friction will hold. If you're concerned about the separate ends twisting or just want a cleaner look, use 3-pin or "3P" jumpers. For jacks I use quick disconnect terminals sized at 5mm.

Nebraska Tim fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 15, 2021

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I didn’t know this thread existed! I decided to build a guitar instead of buying one since I plan on learning to play it. I’m about halfway done with it.

Started with this donor from monoprice because it’s cheap and I love the color.

Ripped the guts out and put them in a bag.

Then cleaned the cavity out and shielded it with copper tape.

Got a Pearl pick guard I had to modify to fit these lipstick humbuckers and fit around the next

Got the mid pickup in and the maple knobs to match the neck

And now to the guts, which is where I am currently at. All the pots are push pull and there is a tiny switch added. The tone pots will split the coils, the treble bleed can be cutoff by the tiny switch, the volume pot will activate a 7 way switch mod to unlock humbucker/humbucker and then all 3 pickups.

So this weekend I will finish the wiring and start cleaning up the frets. I still need to get the vintage style tuners in and the tremolo as well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Looking good!

Where did you get the lipsticks from? They kinda look like Artec ones. How much tape did it take to do the cavity?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elissimpark posted:

Looking good!

Where did you get the lipsticks from? They kinda look like Artec ones. How much tape did it take to do the cavity?

They are the Artec ones I picked them up off of Reverb. The bridge is a 14.5k ceramic hot pickup and the neck is a subdued 7.5k alnico v one. The middle is a 7.2 alnico v Wilkerson pickup. It didn’t take much tape I went through like 1/3 of a roll of 2 inch tape doing this guitar and then doing a “practice” one that is just junk but the pickguard is autographed by one my favorite bands.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Don't pay "guitar parts" places price for copper foil tape amazon has nice big rolls with conductive adhesive for pretty cheap.

Check your shielding with a e:multimeter (not micrometer) too when your done it should all be connected together.

I had a bunch of copper foil tape that didn't have conductive adhesive and I always had to go around and put a bit of solder across each joint of tape to make sure it was fully shielded.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 22, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They are the Artec ones I picked them up off of Reverb. The bridge is a 14.5k ceramic hot pickup and the neck is a subdued 7.5k alnico v one. The middle is a 7.2 alnico v Wilkerson pickup. It didn’t take much tape I went through like 1/3 of a roll of 2 inch tape doing this guitar and then doing a “practice” one that is just junk but the pickguard is autographed by one my favorite bands.

Thought I recognised the little stickers on the back! I know that the resistance of the pickups isn't necessarily the only thing affecting output, but is there anything that needs to be taken into account when there's a big discrepancy?

Thumposaurus posted:

Don't pay "guitar parts" places price for copper foil tape amazon has nice big rolls with conductive adhesive for pretty cheap.

Check your shielding with a micrometer too when your done it should all be connected together.

I had a bunch of copper foil tape that didn't have conductive adhesive and I always had to go around and put a bit of solder across each joint of tape to make sure it was fully shielded.

Does there need to be a connection from tape to ground, like just to the bridge ground?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yes but the metal of the pots or switch will usually make that connection for you. It doesn't hurt to run a wire you solder onto the shield though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Has anyone used their phone as a function generator/test signal for scope use? Just ordered a lightning to mini jack/.25” cable for quick troubleshooting with an app I have. Thinking maybe I need a dc blocker cap just in case?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Has anyone used their phone as a function generator/test signal for scope use? Just ordered a lightning to mini jack/.25” cable for quick troubleshooting with an app I have. Thinking maybe I need a dc blocker cap just in case?

I built a signal tracer with a headphone jack and DC blocker, and just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable into my phones headphone jack to use it as a signal injector instead. Dunno how much effort you want to put into it but the tracer was real easy and cheap to make.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Some pics from today, I rounded off and smoothed out the frets. Still needs some sanding and polishing before they are silky.

I drilled and mounted the vintage style tuners and filled the off holes of the bridge with dowels and glue. I will drill them out and finish the rest of the bridge install tomorrow.

The cloth wiring comes in tomorrow so I will finish the soldering of the electronics and get it all taped up and installed. The cover for the middle pickup comes in Monday and I should be done!

Now I have to figure out how to play it.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 23, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i cant tell if youre really joking about not being able to play guitar and if so im curious as to how you know so much about guitars and can build such a cool one without knowing how to play! looks amazing so far btw

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Kvlt! posted:

i cant tell if youre really joking about not being able to play guitar and if so im curious as to how you know so much about guitars and can build such a cool one without knowing how to play! looks amazing so far btw

Im a drummer. I have no idea about how to play guitars. This is literally me doing way to much research and building a thing so I can learn how to play it.

All this started because my wife bought me an ukulele a while back and i’ve been having a blast learning to play it. So I figured i would get a guitar. Then I figured why not build one and really figure out how the guts work and the theory behind why they work, and make this thing that I thought would be cool.

That lead to this thing and my used fender blues jr tube amp. I literally have no idea how to play a guitar and can barely get a useable chord without muting every other string I’m not supposed to be touching.

The goal was to be able to play every 90s song I love. So a stupid hot bridge pickup for nirvana and Pearl Jam poo poo and a smooth warm neck/middle pickup for Buffalo Tom. Something I could get a huge range of tones out of.

I have no idea if it will work.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 23, 2021

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you press your index finger across the four highest strings on the fifth fret and strum that, you get a C6 chord like the one the ukulele is tuned to. Get a capo, and you’ll be able to play all the uke tunes you already know.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Siivola posted:

If you press your index finger across the four highest strings on the fifth fret and strum that, you get a C6 chord like the one the ukulele is tuned to. Get a capo, and you’ll be able to play all the uke tunes you already know.

That’s cool to know! I guess I need to learn the chord shapes again though since the string layout is different.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The only difference is that the fourth (closest to your face) string on the ukulele is traditionally tuned an octave up from its guitar equivalent. Ukulele chords are just guitar chords without the bass strings. :eng101:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Siivola posted:

The only difference is that the fourth (closest to your face) string on the ukulele is traditionally tuned an octave up from its guitar equivalent. Ukulele chords are just guitar chords without the bass strings. :eng101:

Fuckin learn something everyday. That makes it much easier! Thanks.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Siivola posted:

Is that not only for Baritone ukes? AFAIK most concert and soprano ones are GCEA, where the G string is 2 semitones lower than the A string

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so, I explained that badly. The guitar's treble strings go DGBE, which is the usual baritone uke tuning. If you capo a guitar on the fifth fret, you get GCEA, which is the "low G" tuning of a ukulele. Then, if you replace the G with a thinner string, you can tune it an octave up to get to the traditional "my dog has fleas" uke tuning gCEA.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Ah so that was fun. I got the whole thing together plugged it in and hellacious buzzing noises ensue. Unplug! Take it all apart again. When I was loving around with the bridge install and pulling the springs I had hit the ground wire and messed with the joint. Soldered it back in and buzz went away. Put guitar back together. IT WORKS!!!

Now a few minor adjustments need to be made and I need to intonate it. The action is good already, I have about 1.5 mm between fretboard and strings so that’s good. Oh and I think I will give the fret ends one more polish to really clean them up. I need to go through and move the pickups to the right height (whatever that is im just going to go with fender factory settings) and we should be done!

Right now it sounds pretty good to me, but I’m sure actual guitarists will notice tone issues.

Picture!

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 24, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It sounds good to the most important person(you) that's all that matters.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love that guitar :swoon:

I made the lightning to quarter inch cable with dc blocker cap and tested it with my phone and a :3: cutie little oscilloscope.

It’s not the cleanest signal generator/scope setup, though:

Good enough for diagnosing small problems. 😊

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Boards have arrived, and now my weekend job is sorted.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I hadn't clicked that when you posted:

Chalupa Joe posted:

Finally finished my layout for a Sunn Beta pre-amp board, now I've just gotta wait for parts.

that you'd actually designed that (not the Sunn Beta, but the lay out).

Chalupa Joe posted:

Labels… Decal sheets, screen printing or being good at freehand painting are the way to go here, but doing a transfer using gel medium (it’s essentially poster paint without pigment in it), and the shiny side of the backing sheet from laser printer labels works well enough. The toner sticks to the sheet loosely enough to get it onto the box, and the gel glues it down.

This is from a million years ago, in the before time, but would you have link about the transfer process? I've been playing with actual etching etching on enclosures (as opposed to laser print transfers) and I usually have gel medium laying around being useless.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I hadn't clicked that when you posted:

that you'd actually designed that (not the Sunn Beta, but the lay out).
Thanks! It's worse than than just doing the layout... There were a lot of hours of spice simulations and breadboarding to verify that the service manual's schematics weren't full of traps (plus finding out that there's at least two different versions of the EQ section :negative:), and I had to redesign the channel switching logic because one of the chips it used hasn't been made for 30 years.
The power amp section is another huge headache of obsolete parts (which I've got a reasonable handle on substitutes for), but I'm kind of thinking of just using a chip-amp because it's WAY easier... Time will tell.

quote:

This is from a million years ago, in the before time, but would you have link about the transfer process? I've been playing with actual etching etching on enclosures (as opposed to laser print transfers) and I usually have gel medium laying around being useless.

It's kiiiiiiiiiiind of similar to this but with some small changes:

You'll need a laser printer, and either gloss inkjet photo paper - the coating of which is usually water soluble which helps separating the paper from the print(I haven't tried this method), or the backing sheet from printer label sheets - which the printer toner mostly won't stick to.

1. Usually I paint a thin layer or two of medium onto the print and while it's still wet glue it onto the pedal, then burnish it down with an eraser or similar.
  2. Once the medium has dried, most of the time you can peel the backing paper off leaving the toner stuck to the box. If it looks good: Great! leave it to dry properly then clear coat.
  3. Otherwise use paint with a fine brush/pen to touchup any gaps, or clean the transfer off and try again.
  4. For a short time after the medium is dry you can soften it with water, and rub off any excess. Once that has dried off I usually leave it overnight to dry/cure fully then spray clear coat over it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Chalupa Joe posted:

Thanks! It's worse than than just doing the layout... There were a lot of hours of spice simulations and breadboarding to verify that the service manual's schematics weren't full of traps (plus finding out that there's at least two different versions of the EQ section :negative:), and I had to redesign the channel switching logic because one of the chips it used hasn't been made for 30 years.
The power amp section is another huge headache of obsolete parts (which I've got a reasonable handle on substitutes for), but I'm kind of thinking of just using a chip-amp because it's WAY easier... Time will tell.

Weirdly, that sounds really interesting and fun while also being an absolute pain in the arse. I've got a phaser kit on my bench at the moment and the recommended jfets and even a couple of the recommended replacements are hard to get. Having to do that with everything would be such fun.

What's the interest (not you specifically, but generally) with Sunn Betas? I had a quick google, but I couldn't see what made them special.

Chalupa Joe posted:

It's kiiiiiiiiiiind of similar to this but with some small changes:

You'll need a laser printer, and either gloss inkjet photo paper - the coating of which is usually water soluble which helps separating the paper from the print(I haven't tried this method), or the backing sheet from printer label sheets - which the printer toner mostly won't stick to.

1. Usually I paint a thin layer or two of medium onto the print and while it's still wet glue it onto the pedal, then burnish it down with an eraser or similar.
  2. Once the medium has dried, most of the time you can peel the backing paper off leaving the toner stuck to the box. If it looks good: Great! leave it to dry properly then clear coat.
  3. Otherwise use paint with a fine brush/pen to touchup any gaps, or clean the transfer off and try again.
  4. For a short time after the medium is dry you can soften it with water, and rub off any excess. Once that has dried off I usually leave it overnight to dry/cure fully then spray clear coat over it.

Cool! I don't have a laser printer, but I wasn't aware it could be used for image transfers. I'll have to have a play when I have some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was given a dead beta lead and had to order a MC14056 from a dude in Bulgaria to get it working. He sent me extra :3: but yea I would not incorporate that into the design.