Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zgrowler2 posted:

Kids who get covid can wind up with Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome, "a condition where different body parts can become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs." Seemingly random side effect. Feel free to share that information with anyone who thinks their kid is bulletproof. I'll refrain from looking for the warning posts from specific parents, but they're out there.

Keep in mind the actual risk is extremely low.

1,659 confirmed cases and 26 deaths in the US, out of 24 633 790 Covid cases and 410 383 Covid deaths means *you* are extremely more likely to die from Covid than your kid is.

If you want to keep your kid alive, eliminate falling risks around your house, move to a neighborhood where they don't need to move about in traffic, etc. Even regular influenza and pneumonia kills over 250 kids under the age of 14 per year.

https://wisqars-viz.cdc.gov:8006/lcd/home

In essence, keep an eye out for those symptoms and don't slack off on isolating your family, but don't go losing sleep over this particular risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

1,659 confirmed cases and 26 deaths in the US, out of 24 633 790 Covid cases and 410 383 Covid deaths means *you* are extremely more likely to die from Covid than your kid is.

If you want to keep your kid alive, eliminate falling risks around your house, move to a neighborhood where they don't need to move about in traffic, etc. Even regular influenza and pneumonia kills over 250 kids under the age of 14 per year.

In essence, keep an eye out for those symptoms and don't slack off on isolating your family, but don't go losing sleep over this particular risk.

every time someone says "oh it's low risk" in this thread, it ends up turning into a loving nightmare in the future.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When this is over (lol) I'm going to a place like Golden Corral and I'm going to stuff my face and people watch a bunch of midwest trash (me).

I look forward to taking my incredibly geriatric great dane to one more drive-in movie, which she really loves doing because we get wafflehouse and share it and snuggle. Even my drive-in theaters shuttered for most of the year because of covid. The last double movie we went and saw was Frozen 2 and Maleficent 2. :3: and while I was typing this she doddered over and said hi.

But mostly I look forward to being able to go into a store again without playing dodgeball with potential death because people are idiots and hate masks.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

But mostly I look forward to being able to go into a store again without playing dodgeball with potential death because people are idiots and hate masks.

When this is over I’m going shopping at all the stores and nobody can stop me!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

every time someone says "oh it's low risk" in this thread, it ends up turning into a loving nightmare in the future.

We're kind of past pretending that the only risk from covid is the 1-2% chance of death or other acute outcomes during initial infection, though. 30% of student athletes in the Ohio state study now have heart damage, and some of those weren't even symptomatic. They wouldn't know they had heart damage today if they weren't infected as part of the athletic program at a university that does medical research. We're going to be discovering new health problems in people who never even knew they had covid for years to come.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Covid 19 effects are literally never going to be over (while we are all alive)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

loving sick. We just had a meeting at work that some people tested positive and some others where sent home to isolate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saalkin posted:

loving sick. We just had a meeting at work that some people tested positive and some others where sent home to isolate.

“This could have been an e‐mail.”

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Saalkin posted:

an in-person meeting??

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

an in-person meeting??

Nah it was on Microsoft Teams. My job is in mail for a large insurance company so my department is still coming into work. Most of the company is WFH.

I'm actually surprised it took this long.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Sex Skeleton posted:

When this is over I’m going shopping at all the stores and nobody can stop me!

Joke's on you all the stores will have gone bankrupt before it ends!

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

stab posted:

Joke's on you all the stores will have gone bankrupt before it ends!

:smith:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

CHOP showed cardio issues for about 100% of symptomatic and non symptomatic kids. Just because we are not studying impact broadly doesn't mean they dont exist.

A lot of the "kids don't get covid" were applying studies from say SEA that have come tact tracing and quarantines and saying it fits in the US because kids, by policy, would not be tested.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

it should be clear at this point to even the most casual reader of the thread:

individual death isn't the primary worry of this highly infectuous blood vessel disease

for the individual the primary worry is all of the weird and yet unstudied effects that getting damage in most parts of your body can have

death only matters insofar it is a population phenomenon where every infected can very easily cause a few or thousands deaths by their actions due to the highly infectuous nature of the thing

so please, for gently caress's sake, stop saying anything remotely like "your risk of dying is low" and then being smug about it

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
More info about BC’s vaccine rollout dropped.

Can’t wait to get mine in July-August. :shepface:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That soon. Some people have all the luck

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This is how all non-chuds feel right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jesus christ my friend just told me his wife's employee banquet is tonight and he was on his way there. An hour dinner followed by two hours of speeches and ceremonial bullshit. :psyduck:

I think this company is run by an Amish family if I recall correctly, which would make this make a lot of sense. But I'm finding it hard to not question why they need to go to this thing unless it's mandatory which would be insanely hosed up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The odds of dying might be relatively low, but reports about people with persistent cognitive problems/sexual dysfunction, or possible heart damage, are enough to keep me in bunker mode.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If everyone made a full recovery from the virus and literally the only things it did was making a person feel like complete poo poo for a week and take a couple of months to return to normal athleticism, I would still be taking more effort to not get it than it seems most people are.

I wouldn’t be in bunker mode, but washing my hands and wearing a mask religiously is totally less of a pain than the symptoms as described, let alone any permanent damage.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

The odds of dying might be relatively low, but reports about people with persistent cognitive problems/sexual dysfunction

I'm stupid and unfuckable so if these were the only symptoms I'd probably never even notice

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hell yeah dickfallsoff instant vegetable disease would be amazing

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Zugzwang posted:

The odds of dying might be relatively low, but reports about people with persistent cognitive problems/sexual dysfunction, or possible heart damage, are enough to keep me in bunker mode.

QFT. I'm more than willing to look like a dork when I go out for survival errands if it keeps me from getting mystery longterm effects that I'll never know the scope of because I'm not in a medical study where they'd be scanned for.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

zgrowler2 posted:

QFT. I'm more than willing to look like a dork when I go out for survival errands if it keeps me from getting mystery longterm effects that I'll never know the scope of because I'm not in a medical study where they'd be scanned for.

Hell yeah, I'd wear a goddamn fluorescent trash bag if it was the medical recommendation. I try to have the attitude that anyone who considers my wearing something as insignificant as a mask "dorky" is not someone igaf about, so right on.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Hell yeah, I'd wear a goddamn fluorescent trash bag if it was the medical recommendation. I try to have the attitude that anyone who considers my wearing something as insignificant as a mask "dorky" is not someone igaf about, so right on.

:hfive: stay safe fellow goon[s], it's a jungle out there

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

zgrowler2 posted:

I am completely unworried about looking weird when wearing a respirator because nobody will know it's me :buddy:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chikimiki posted:

Kinda getting desperate of this whole situation; 2020 was supposed to be my year, finally managed to snag a sabbatical from my employer, was supposed to spend a year traveling of which I've been dreaming forever and saving for years :toot: Then Covid happens, okay, tough luck, I chose to delay my plans, how long can this epidemic last? A few months tops, right? :downs:

So here we are, one year later, and things are even worse: I feel like I've taken huge steps backwards - I had finally managed to have a GF, a social circle, an ok job, going out, exercising, travelling etc. after spending years as a NEET shutin, only to now be back stuck at home (though neither alone nor jobless, thank goodness) :eng99:

It feels like the light at the end of the tunnel is moving further and further away, in between virus mutations and vaccine rollout delays. What if it takes years to get out of this shitter? What if we never get out? I don't want to waste my best years sitting at home filling out spreadsheets, only to be able to maybe enjoy life once I'm an old fart. Not too mention that I'd want kids rather sooner than later. Really seems like we have collectively been damned to a life of routine boredom.

I know that I'm one of the fortunate people: I work from home, no one close to me got ill, no money problems... But it all feels so hopeless, I'm barely finding the energy to get out of bed in the morning :smith:

Sorry for venting, I know this is a Micky D's drivethrough :v:

Yeah, some people seem to have lost sight of just how profoundly unnatural and damaging living like this is and do that awful scolding, humblebragging thing where they're all: "Well, I literally haven't left the house since last March and I feel great! You're a bad person for missing human contact and you should feel bad about that!"

Being in the Uk doesn't help: we've been repeatedly told that we're past the worst of it, only to hear shortly afterwards: "Whoops, back into lockdown, lol", which does as much for your morale as you'd expect.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Platystemon posted:

If everyone made a full recovery from the virus and literally the only things it did was making a person feel like complete poo poo for a week and take a couple of months to return to normal athleticism, I would still be taking more effort to not get it than it seems most people are.

I wouldn’t be in bunker mode, but washing my hands and wearing a mask religiously is totally less of a pain than the symptoms as described, let alone any permanent damage.

Aren't you describing the common cold there? No-one did anything about that, and people used to brag about coming to work or events with a cough and a fever.
Bad cases of the common cold do also give people months of post viral fatigue and occasionally deadly heart infections, it's just much rarer than with covid.

I've been a bit more careful about that kind of illness for a long time, but I've never been sure if it was worth the trade-off (getting a germophobe reputation and looking like a dork). I remember meeting a chemo patient who was a bit aghast that I wouldn't shake her hand while having a cold.

I wonder if people will be more careful after covid, or if they will go right back to where they were.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Anecdotal here. The one close friend of ours who got it very early on in March 2020 has been struggling with weird symptoms ever since. He was 100% healthy beforehand, but since contracting it he's had weird fatigue and heart discomfort. His first instance of passing out was about 2 months afters recovery, then last month he passed out again and was so out of it he had to go to the hospital. Poor guy had a completely clean bill of healthy before this, and now he's a nervous wreck. /anecdotal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someone called me "covid crazy" for being in, essentially, total lockdown. He got coronavirus and doesn't know how.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, some people seem to have lost sight of just how profoundly unnatural and damaging living like this is and do that awful scolding, humblebragging thing where they're all: "Well, I literally haven't left the house since last March and I feel great! You're a bad person for missing human contact and you should feel bad about that!"

Goons have been given an opportunity to feel morally superior for never leaving the house, it's not surprising some of them have gone a bit overboard with it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When you were partying and drinking, I was studying the blade fine art of self isolation

And now, with covid at the gate, you come for me?!?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pidan posted:

Aren't you describing the common cold there?

No. The common cold is aches and congestion and I take some pseudoephedrine and I do whatever I have to do to get through the day.

I had a serious case of influenza once, in my early twenties. I was weak to the point of crawling between rooms, but some of these “young, full recovery” COVID cases sound worse than that. I couldn’t have gotten much weaker than without needing a nurse, but I didn’t, say, feel like I had a hot poker in my lungs. The flu’s severe symptoms had me in their grasp for about three days. I lost an indecent amount of weight, but I could run again the same month.

If I faced that particular flu every year, I would mask up like in East Asia every winter.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Being in the Uk doesn't help: we've been repeatedly told that we're past the worst of it, only to hear shortly afterwards: "Whoops, back into lockdown, lol", which does as much for your morale as you'd expect.

I was in self-imposed lockdown for basically eight months, in Melbourne which was in enforced lockdown for March/April and then again for July-October, and the only way I handled that without going insane was the knowledge that the rest of the country was doing just fine and if we could just get through it, we could join them (which we now have). We could literally watch the numbers going down each day until we hit zero. I can't imagine how much it must loving suck to have to isolate for longer than that and also not have the end anywhere in sight.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finland update! We're hosed!

The super-infectious British variant found its way over here around Christmas, predictably due to people travelling in and out of Finland to spend the holidays with others. Our center for disease control has retroactively placed 400+ people in quarantine following 30+ disease carriers coming into the country, deciding to ignore the quarantine they were told to put themselves in, and going to Christmas parties. They are still tracing contact chains, so probably there's a lot of unknown carriers still out and about.

A lot of cases have also been traced to people who commute between Estonia and Finland. In the Helsinki area a lot of people ferry over to work here for the week, and go back to Estonia for the weekend. Their kids are in Finnish kindergartens, and of course no one is getting quarantined at any point.

Meanwhile our vaccinations are going so well that in my city they are temporarily halting the entire vaccination program because they got "fewer doses than they expected" this week.

But don't worry, our brave government is leaping to action and stopping all flights from England, South Africa and a few other hotspots (for a month), but are still allowing "travel for work reasons" from places like Estonia. This is after literally months and months of allowing full travel between Finland and disease hotspots like Macedonia.

Out on the streets nobody gives a gently caress. Maybe 15-20% of people are wearing masks, public transportation is crammed full of unmasked people, the cafes and bars are full 24/7 and everyone is really confused about the disease somehow sticking around. Our QAnon idiots are posting anti-vaccination and anti-masking poo poo on Facebook and it's spreading like wildfire.

It just makes me want to scream. What the gently caress is the point of cutting myself off from normal life for almost a year, of not seeing friends, of not seeing family, of not being able to say goodbye to my grandmother before she died, when most people here don't give a gently caress and the disease will keep raging for months and months due to their selfishness and stupidity?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 23, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Finland update! We're hosed!

The super-infectious British variant found its way over here around Christmas, predictably due to people travelling in and out of Finland to spend the holidays with others. Our center for disease control has retroactively placed 400+ people in quarantine following 30+ disease carriers coming into the country, deciding to ignore the quarantine they were told to put themselves in, and going to Christmas parties. They are still tracing contact chains, so probably there's a lot of unknown carriers still out and about.

These were the known cases in the US at some recent point:

There's hardly any genomic sequencing happening in the US so there's doubtless a shitload more out there that we just don't know about, it's running wild across the entire country.

There's also the new strain out of California, it seems to have similar spike protein mutations as the UK strain and the fact that it suddenly started showing up in high numbers would suggest that it's more contagious than the OG strain but they don't know for sure because they're just not testing enough to tell one way or the other
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-01-17/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine-update-pandemic

E: they're going to have to wait for the California strain to escape to some other country where the testing regime is more efficient to find out whether it's more contagious or not LOL

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 23, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

freebooter posted:

We could literally watch the numbers going down each day until we hit zero. I can't imagine how much it must loving suck to have to isolate for longer than that and also not have the end anywhere in sight.

Yeah, given how badly the Uk has hosed it, I've got this horrible feeling that lockdown is going to go from a temporary emergency measure to this semi-permanent thing, with relatively normal summers followed by months of strict social isolation. It'll doubly suck if the rest of the world has got on top of this thing and is watching us with pity as we continue to clown our response up.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Norway/ The Oslo(Captial) region suddenly started up a lockdown today due to the discovery of the mutant virus spreading thurs/fri.
No arrangements for the next week, and only essential stores are open. Which of course immediately meant that people from the region travelled to surrounding counties to buy wine and alcohol from the wine monopoly in counties where they're still open.

It's almost as if you can't have a loving regional lockdown without any kind of policing of it! Almost as if closing the stores is almost pointless because the people heading out to shop and etc will do so regardless, except now they'll be spreading it to a huge surrounding area instead!
And just a polite question for people to 'please don't invite guests'. (Guess what, everyone who was going to go out to party tonight will instead be the ones queueing up to buy alcohol in the neighbouring counties, and then have a party at home instead.)

At the very least they should have made the lockdown bubble larger.
Universities and etc are closed for students, but schools for kids are still open, just declared as 'red zones' again.

Currently the measures are just for today and the upcoming week, who knows if they'll keep it up, or if they just wanted to buy a tiny bit of time.

e: I forgot to specify, it is of course the Brexit strain they're freaking out over. B117?

SubNat fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 23, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

pidan posted:

Aren't you describing the common cold there? No-one did anything about that, and people used to brag about coming to work or events with a cough and a fever.
Bad cases of the common cold do also give people months of post viral fatigue and occasionally deadly heart infections, it's just much rarer than with covid.

I've been a bit more careful about that kind of illness for a long time, but I've never been sure if it was worth the trade-off (getting a germophobe reputation and looking like a dork). I remember meeting a chemo patient who was a bit aghast that I wouldn't shake her hand while having a cold.

I wonder if people will be more careful after covid, or if they will go right back to where they were.

Most likely where they were, but I do hope some behaviours and hygiene practices stick. It's never going away never to return, but it will probably be mentally filed away with cold/flu by a lot of people when most people are vaccinated.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

TBF there are many countries and regions where K-8 (or similar age) schools have stayed open throughout the pandemic, yet have significantly lower death rates than the U.S.

The problem is to find effective actions that will slow down the widespread contagion, while minimizing the damage to society from (for example) kids not learning anything in school for an entire year or more.

Aka our :sweden: model. Afaik the 2nd wave here is lower than the first. There's not that much regulations, bars have to close at 20. Then we have other countries where there are much harsher regulations and worse outcomes.

It's really loving random and it seems that noone is exactly sure on what policies give the best effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There are also a lot of countries (hello from freedom-loving Switzerland) that issue half-rear end "recommendations" with no enforcement. The papers and populist politicians go nuts screaming about Orwellian lockdowns, even though they're neither of those things, loads of people ignore the recommendations because there's no enforcement, and the same press and politicians say "See? Lockdowns don't work!" when case numbers don't go down.