Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Damar's arc is probably one of the best of the final couple of episodes. Given the past four years we've had to endure, it's inspiring stuff.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

IMO the only good Pah Wraith-related episodes are the one where a Pah Wraith possesses Keiko, and the one where Dukat starts his cult.

Dukat's cult was kinda underwhelming. Like it's neat seeing the absolute depths that Dukat has sunk to (although it's likely his tenure at Terok Nor was on a similar level), but as a concept, it seems like a bit of a waste.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

A full rewatch or nothing

Without the Bij, the Beard has no meaning,

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just saw the TNG where Data meets his mom and finds out she's a robot duplicate made by his dad. When I saw that episode as a kid, I didn't realize that when Data watches the recording left in a disc on her brain and talks to his dad, he mentions that she left him.

Doesn't that mean that he added the recording explaining that she is a secret robot after she dumped him? Like he turned her off while she was packing her bags and stuck that recording in there and then turned her back on? All through the ending I was debating whether or not the show is trying to present a plausible reading that Data's father is a weak scumbag who made an indefensible, selfish choice in recreating his dead wife because he didn't want to be alone, but I don't know that the reactions of the other characters support it, as they seem to think that was a fine thing to do.

Maybe I'm not giving the writers enough credit, but Spiner doesn't really play the guy either like he's thought about the ethical implications of what he did or like he's selfish and rationalizing a bad choice.

I love how bringing Spiner back to play Soong's actual son in Picard just makes Soong seem like even a bigger rear end in a top hat in retrospect, because the guy had an actual son out there and he did not give a solid poo poo about him and just dedicated his life to making weird robot children even as Alton went into cybernetics too to try and make Noonien proud of him and he still didn't care.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

John F Bennett posted:

I've started a rewatch of TNG, after about 15 years of not watching. I skipped S1, watched a couple of choice episodes of S2 such as the first encounter with the Borg and Riker doing an internship on the Klingon ship and then started with S3 where I will stay until the end.

It's just as much fun as it was then. Season 3 still has some cheese episodes here and there but overall it's a fun watch.

I just saw S3E14, A Matter of Perspective. It's a bit weird, they're doing a courtroom/holodeck thing where witnesses each have their own version of the events, played out in the holodeck. But in the end it is never made clear which version was the correct one. It's problematic because one of the versions has Riker being an attempted rapist. According to counselor Troi, the accuser wasn't lying about the attempt but neither was Riker? So... is Riker a rapist or not? In the end, everyone seems to be just ok with the events and nothing is investigated further.

The intro was pretty funny though, it has Data critiquing Picard's sucky painting.

edit: vvv, that one I saw as well.

Neither Riker or the wife lied or told an accurate account of what happened because memory is fallible. Most likely they were both being overly friendly to the point that it could be considered flirting (she lives practically alone and would be eager to interact with new people and Riker is like that all the time) and they probably both interpreted this as the other being overly forward considering one of them was married. Also keep in mind that the wife thinks this guy who was hitting on her (whether he really was or not) killed her husband and that's going to color how she interprets what happened between them.

Or, to get away from sexual assault politics, consider how she describes her husband beating up Riker and Riker describes beating up the husband. Is one of them lying, or did the husband attack Riker and Riker used his training to blunt his opponent's blows so he wasn't injured and possibly return a warning shot? Wife sees her husband's fist hit Riker so she thinks he won, Riker knows he wasn't injured and could probably double-axehandle the guy so hard his heart would fall out of his chest so he considers himself to have won.

Yet another reason not to convict solely on the testimony of a telepath.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how bringing Spiner back to play Soong's actual son in Picard just makes Soong seem like even a bigger rear end in a top hat in retrospect, because the guy had an actual son out there and he did not give a solid poo poo about him and just dedicated his life to making weird robot children even as Alton went into cybernetics too to try and make Noonien proud of him and he still didn't care.

For the almost literally everything else that was wrong in Picard, that bit of retro characterization of Noonian was dead loving on. I mean, that's pretty much exactly what he did with Lore when he moved on to Data, too, after all.

Makes perfect sense he'd make Data fully functional, given that he made him in his own image, and he was a giant dick.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Data believes he's fully functional in sexual techniques, but Soong just programmed him with everything he knew.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Data believes he's fully functional in sexual techniques, but Soong just programmed him with everything he knew.

Yar didn't complain :colbert:

Also, it would be trivial to make a vibrating penis and eliminate premature ejaculation, which would put Data well within the top 10% best sex partners.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

For the almost literally everything else that was wrong in Picard, that bit of retro characterization of Noonian was dead loving on. I mean, that's pretty much exactly what he did with Lore when he moved on to Data, too, after all.

Makes perfect sense he'd make Data fully functional, given that he made him in his own image, and he was a giant dick.

:agreed:

Ignored his real son, cast his first android son aside, doted on Data but couldn’t be bothered to give him emotions, made an android copy of his dead wife and hid her true nature from her, and let everyone think he was dead until he triggered his son to steal the flagship and use it as a taxi. Dude’s a piece of poo poo.

They keep teasing a return of some sort for Alton in season 2, and I’d be fine with that. Ironically, Spiner has always been better at playing the non-Data roles than Data himself and Alton was one of the better parts of Picard, not that that’s saying much.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I watched the TNG episode "Sins of the father" again last night. I will never not laugh at Picard memorizing the cha'DIch acceptance phrases ahead of time, just in case he gets asked, like the absolute egomaniac he is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think spiner was sick of star trek because he was tired of playing data. He always does well as the dramatic crazy characters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Picard season 2 should just be Stewart and Spiner loving around with the reality warping space library from “Masks”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
While stuck in The Royale. Again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Instead of Picard becoming a synth they should have downloaded Data's consciousness into that new body since it gave them the excuse to have Data age and be more constrained to human capabilities. There's a lot of territory they could have mined with Data coming to grips with being a 'real human' (to the extent that the new body made that possible.)

I mean, if Brent didn't want to be involved in season 2, so be it. But this feels like it would have been better way to end the season. I mean FFS, they already had a magical McGuffin that could "fix" anything and they didn't even try to use it on Picard's brain.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

bull3964 posted:

Instead of Picard becoming a synth they should have downloaded Data's consciousness into that new body since it gave them the excuse to have Data age and be more constrained to human capabilities. There's a lot of territory they could have mined with Data coming to grips with being a 'real human' (to the extent that the new body made that possible.)

I mean, if Brent didn't want to be involved in season 2, so be it. But this feels like it would have been better way to end the season. I mean FFS, they already had a magical McGuffin that could "fix" anything and they didn't even try to use it on Picard's brain.

I recall the impression that they did it on purpose so he would be "mortal".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

V-Men posted:

I recall the impression that they did it on purpose so he would be "mortal".

I'm not sure which 'he' you are talking about, but anyone going into the new synth body would effectively be mortal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I also think it was a missed opportunity to give Data a better android body that could age and get injured and do all the normal human stuff. He wanted to be a human, and that could have done that. The idea that killing data was what would make him be truly human was stupid. Just let Spiner play multiple characters.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If the Star Trek life expectancy doesn't make humans any less human at all, it stands to reason that an infinite life expectancy doesn't make humans any less human either. Life does not become any more meaningful by becoming more fragile. You can become bored or unappreciative of the little things in life over any finite length of time, so the length of time shouldn't be finite with regard to that, either. The movie Soul does a much better job at handling the idea of "meaningful".

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 22, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lower Decks is finally available internationally on Prime Video, I should really get around to watching the rest of that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Veotax posted:

Lower Decks is finally available internationally on Prime Video, I should really get around to watching the rest of that.

It's quality skyrockets around the 4th episode and it gets really good from there onward.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tubes/status/1352677682727804928

"The 99% are just supposed to sit here while the 1% gets higher and fewer??"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anyone still play ST:O? I logged in for the first time since the big DS9 story and now I’m helping Picard-era Seven and Michael Burnham in a trial organized by Abraham Lincoln and Yarnek, which, even for this game, is just an insane crossover.

You really have to admire this game’s 11-year commitment to just dumping all the toys on the floor and making poo poo up as you smash them together in the dumbest possible way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Veotax posted:

I wish they'd just put it on just Prime in the States. I don't want to bother with All Access, and it's already linked. Just bite the bullet, you assholes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just finished DS9 again. I've always loved it and that hasn't changed, but some observations:

The way the Dominion war ends is really very much in keeping with the spirit of Star Trek. Ultimately, the Dominion doesn't lose simply because the good guys were better at fighting. And it's not because they really make any significant tactical errors either. They avoided the thing where the bad guy gets overconfident and blows their advantage. What really defeats them is simply the fact that authoritarianism is unsustainable. Any empire built on that is destined to fall. Their mistreatment of the Cardassians was less a "we're betraying you because we're the bad guys, what are you gonna do about it?" and more just how a dictatorship works. It was exactly what anyone should've expected. It just turned out Cardassia didn't like a taste of their own medicine.

And really, what makes the difference between the Alpha quadrant and the Gamma quadrant -- which the Dominion had successfully dominated for hundreds (thousands?) of years... ...is the Federation. Not Starfleet -- not a greater display of military might -- but the Federation, specifically. And whatever you could say about Section 31 or Vreenak... at the end of the day, it's the ideals that turn out to be the real secret weapon. It's really quite inspiring.

Of course there's the whole fire cave thing. I'm kinder to that than most. It does lose some of its appeal on re-watch. In a perfect world I think it would've helped if there had been a shorter gap between Dukat losing his mind and finding the pah wraiths. Just having a little more of that element of "oh crap, this dude's lost it" would've helped that whole storyline, but it felt like he was somewhat in his right mind, therefore his motivation felt weaker. I guess that was partially yet another unfortunate side effect of needing a way to kill off Jadzia at the end of season 6.

CPColin posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tubes/status/1352677682727804928

"The 99% are just supposed to sit here while the 1% gets higher and fewer??"

"The line must be drawn here" speech but it's Bernie talking about Democrats not being willing to advance progressive agendas while they have the majority

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So in the TOS where they fight the psychic ancient Greeks and save the little person at the end, Captain Kirk tells Scotty that he’s bringing “a little surprise” back to the Enterprise while grinning.

What the hell kind of bigoted poo poo is that?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

So in the TOS where they fight the psychic ancient Greeks and save the little person at the end, Captain Kirk tells Scotty that he’s bringing “a little surprise” back to the Enterprise while grinning.

It was the 60s, where domestic violence also somehow had a laugh track.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well she did have some splainin to do

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Our first astronauts were women sent to the moon by their husbands.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know the DS9 producers have said that they mainly wanted to make Dukat irredeemable by the end because they were concerned that too many people liked him.

To be honest the best end for Dukat would have been 'Waltz', but maybe change the ending so Sisko is forced to kill him instead of him stealing the shuttle and escaping.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I mean

I love TOS but uh there’s still a whole bunch of :yikes: moments peppered throughout that everyone seems to memoryhole.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean

I love TOS but uh there’s still a whole bunch of :yikes: moments peppered throughout that everyone seems to memoryhole.
God this reminds me that he knocks up a native woman and they kill her off so that he doesn't have to worry about that again

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/jmcchrist/status/1352692892263845889?s=20

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Remember kids, Indians come from planet Amerind

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hell, "some aliens took some Native Americans and put them on a special planet (ok I hear the "reservation thing" already but hang on a second) to preserve that specific culture" is the least offensive Native American thing in the entire body of Star Trek.

It vaguely makes sense, even. There could be a whole planet full of Picts or Xia Chinese that they scooped up to preserve indefinitely without any external culture to interact with and subsequently alter said culture.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sash! posted:

Hell, "some aliens took some Native Americans and put them on a special planet (ok I hear the "reservation thing" already but hang on a second) to preserve that specific culture" is the least offensive Native American thing in the entire body of Star Trek.

It vaguely makes sense, even. There could be a whole planet full of Picts or Xia Chinese that they scooped up to preserve indefinitely without any external culture to interact with and subsequently alter said culture.

One of the novels mentioned that this sort of thing did happen a bunch for Earth, the Vulcans, the Klingons, etc. It was also a way to explain the exact physical copies of Earth that are around

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lol best one yet

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sash! posted:

I guess, but then you’ve still got the whole “Kirk Kirok is a god foretold by the ancients!” thing and all the extras and guest stars in redface. It’s just bad all around.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sash! posted:

It'd be cool to have an episode where they find a planet where the transplanted culture has become spacefaring in their own right, because they didn't just stagnate from when they were taken. Give me a Space Wakanda episode, dammit!

Unrelated note: there never was a canonical on-screen explanation of Uhura's backstory, was there?

Just saying, SNW writers...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yvonmukluk posted:

It'd be cool to have an episode where they find a planet where the transplanted culture has become spacefaring in their own right, because they didn't just stagnate from when they were taken. Give me a Space Wakanda episode, dammit!

Unrelated note: there never was a canonical on-screen explanation of Uhura's backstory, was there?

Just saying, SNW writers...
I think Uhura was from the United States of Africa or something. Similarly, Geordi was born in Mogadishu. In both cases, of course, the purpose of this was to indicate that Africa was just fine and dandy by Star Trek times. Given their reaction to the coronavirus, this seems to be another of those things Trek got right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just watched 'The Offspring', S3 EP16 of TNG. It's about Data becoming a father by creating Lal, an android. Lal was forced to choose a gender, male or female, to fulfill its true potential.