Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1352625990854389761
I apologize for dragging current American events into this thread but: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
He doesn't even use Aragon II Elessar's correct name or title

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Watch the judge be a total Tolkien nerd who translated Akallabeth into Noldorin or something and then proceed to destroy their filing with liberal use of Tolkien analogies comparing Trump to Sauron and Ted Cruz to Saruman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not the biggest Colbert fan but I do enjoy when he goes on tangents about Middle Earth. Last night he was on a rant about Glorfindel and Ecthelion battling Balrogs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not the biggest Colbert fan but I do enjoy when he goes on tangents about Middle Earth. Last night he was on a rant about Glorfindel and Ecthelion battling Balrogs.

Like .. on his tv show ??

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

euphronius posted:

Idk what he's doing these days but I used to watch the Colbert Report when I was in college and he'd make deep-cut Tolkien references from time to time (most of which I didn't get, back then). Dude is a massive Tolkien nerd.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He doesn't even use Aragon II Elessar's correct name or title

Elessar Telcontar, surely?

That it's posted by someone called Melkonian is sheer perfection.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

euphronius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7bwyVVVMs

10:15

Also I love that swipe at David Day about reading the Tolkien dictionary and correcting the entries.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 22, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7bwyVVVMs

10:15

Also I love that swipe at David Day about reading the Tolkien dictionary and correcting the entries.

Hahahahhaha

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I got Day's 6-volume "The World of Tolkien" and having read the one about hobbits, boy this guy should teach yoga because he's a master of the stretch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The good thing i will attribute to the David Day books is that the illustrations are very pretty and I'm a sucker for John Blanche artwork. The Battle of the Five Armies picture he drew is great.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I've got his Burroughs Bestiary around somewhere as well as his Tolkien one, and I can't say the quality of either tempted me to find any more of his writing, much as I enjoy the illustrations.

(Edgar Rice, not William.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, question for the thread:

Does the Witch King of Angmar technically have a better claim to the throne of Gondor than Aragorn does?

His genealogy isn't given but he's Numenorean and a King, and he'd be about three millennia senior, so . . .

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 23, 2021

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Ok, question for the thread:

Does the Witch King of Angmar technically have a better claim to the throne of Gondor than Aragorn does?

His genealogy isn't given but he's Numenorean and a King, and he'd be about three millennia senior, so . . .

I think he only became a king when he established Angmar, which is in no way a part of or in line for the throne of Arnor or Gondor. Before that he was a Numenorean lord of some sort, but there’s zero canonical information about that afaik.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, he would have been given his ring before the War of the Last Alliance, right, so not of the Line of Elendil.

Still, might have been of the Numenorean royal line?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Yeah, he would have been given his ring before the War of the Last Alliance, right, so not of the Line of Elendil.

Still, might have been of the Numenorean royal line?

Oh, and that’s right I forgot that Elendil was an offshoot and I see what you’re getting at now. I mean, let’s say he really was the legitimate heir to the kingship of Númenor...a kingdom that doesn’t exist anymore. Gondor was a new and separate kingdom, yeah? But would the Dúnedain owe him fealty on racial grounds? Haha I don’t know.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Oh, and that’s right I forgot that Elendil was an offshoot and I see what you’re getting at now. I mean, let’s say he really was the legitimate heir to the kingship of Númenor...a kingdom that doesn’t exist anymore. Gondor was a new and separate kingdom, yeah? But would the Dúnedain owe him fealty on racial grounds? Haha I don’t know.

The Lords of Andúnië, from whom Elendil was descended, were only a cadet branch of the House of Elros because Tar-Elendil had an eldest daughter before the law was changed so that the Sceptre of Númenor could be held by a woman. If Silmariën hadn't been passed over due to her gender then the kingship would have passed down to the first-born child all the way to Elendil.

Considering that they became the leaders of the Faithful, it's very possible that agnatic primogeniture caused the Downfall.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm pretty sure that since Arnor and Gondor were Elendil's kingdoms they trace their kingship from him directly, rather than back to Elros through him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Lords of Andúnië, from whom Elendil was descended, were only a cadet branch of the House of Elros because Tar-Elendil had an eldest daughter before the law was changed so that the Sceptre of Númenor could be held by a woman. If Silmariën hadn't been passed over due to her gender then the kingship would have passed down to the first-born child all the way to Elendil.

Considering that they became the leaders of the Faithful, it's very possible that agnatic primogeniture caused the Downfall.

Yeah I always quite liked that little flourish of Tolkien's, this might all be an unpalatable blood mythos by modern standards but at least he had his heart in the right place about women as men's equals.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s highly likely that Angmar, as descendant of Numenorean lords, had some however distant tie to Numenorean royalty. They had to marry somebody, and thought first cousin marriages were scandalous. Even if it’s just like, Angmar’s great aunt to the tenth being someone’s wife.

Numenoreans colonized the mainland and considered it pretty much their property as a nation, especially after they whip Sauron. There’s an entire city-state of Numenorean colonial descent on the mainland all through the third age that has nothing to do with the Elendili and never did.

So better claim? Not really but on the other hand, the Numenoreans have no claim to Middle-earth to begin with, they just took it. The magic words you have to say when taking the Gondorian crown amount to “yeah I just showed up here with God and my right and I’m here to stay, what are you gonna do about it”.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Okay, cool, I’m seeing a clearer picture now. It looks like if the witch king had been anywhere in the royal line between Tar-Meneldur (Silmariën’s younger brother who took the throne) and Ar-Pharazon, he would have a better claim than Aragorn. But a claim to the kingship of Númenor or to Arnor and Gondor? Are A&G considered their own kingdom with their own line, or are they considered still to be Númenor because they are still ruled by the House of Elros?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I always quite liked that little flourish of Tolkien's, this might all be an unpalatable blood mythos by modern standards but at least he had his heart in the right place about women as men's equals.

Tolkien has at least one pretty awful passage about women in his letters. I’m swamped with work, or I would dig out my most hated quote (something like women’s role is to be receptive and be nourished by men, female students learn very quickly but are incapable of being creative or surpassing their male teachers.) He treats gender in a way that is conflicted and almost good, but ultimately bad in much the same way that he treats race.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wait where is the Witch King said to be Numenorean from? I legit don't remember the Nazgul getting any of their pre-wraith backgrounds or names revealed. I think I might have heard the words "Kamul the Easterling" before but I can't remember if that was in the appendices or something I imagined. I know some have interpreted the "Gothmog" at Pellenor as being a Wraith but he's literally mentioned in a single sentence and could be an evil Hobbit for all we know.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

galagazombie posted:

Wait where is the Witch King said to be Numenorean from? I legit don't remember the Nazgul getting any of their pre-wraith backgrounds or names revealed. I think I might have heard the words "Kamul the Easterling" before but I can't remember if that was in the appendices or something I imagined. I know some have interpreted the "Gothmog" at Pellenor as being a Wraith but he's literally mentioned in a single sentence and could be an evil Hobbit for all we know.
I think all the Nazgul are supposed to be Numenorean lords of some kind or other originally. I think Sauron started passing out Rings on Numenor itself.

I think Gothmog was an orc, but I don't remember where I got that idea from. Sounds like an Orc name though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

I think Gothmog was an orc, but I don't remember where I got that idea from. Sounds like an Orc name though.

He was a balrog. Gothmog the Balrog. In the movies he was an orc.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

He was a balrog. Gothmog the Balrog. In the movies he was an orc.

There was a Balrog named Gothmog and also a lieutenant of the Witch King during the war of the Ring named Gothmog who is generally assumed to be distinct from the Balrog because if Gothmog the Balrog was around it would be very very clear he was around.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

reignonyourparade posted:

There was a Balrog named Gothmog and also a lieutenant of the Witch King during the war of the Ring named Gothmog who is generally assumed to be distinct from the Balrog because if Gothmog the Balrog was around it would be very very clear he was around.

Some kinda symbolism there that a Gothmog is attacking a white city defended by the son of an Ecthelion but I can't quite make it work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

reignonyourparade posted:

You know that's a cute kind of idea. Of course the orcs and such might take on the name of ancient badass Morgul-servants. Why wouldn't they? They'd probably even have some old fucks like Shagrat around to tell them about the time he saw some fuckin elf-boy and his bird buddies take down a dragon the size of Mount Doom, fuckin cheaters.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nessus posted:

You know that's a cute kind of idea. Of course the orcs and such might take on the name of ancient badass Morgul-servants. Why wouldn't they? They'd probably even have some old fucks like Shagrat around to tell them about the time he saw some fuckin elf-boy and his bird buddies take down a dragon the size of Mount Doom, fuckin cheaters.

...wait, how old is Shagrat!?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Bucket posted:

The bits of dialogue we get imply that Orcs age like Elves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gothmog is the name of the commander of the orcs during Pellinor Fields.

Khamul is the only other name given to a ringwraith in the books. He's in charge of Dol Guldur for a while in the Third Age, but I can't remember the chronology. I'm 99% sure this is mentioned in the ROTK appendix.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Gothmog is the name of the commander of the orcs during Pellinor Fields.

Khamul is the only other name given to a ringwraith in the books. He's in charge of Dol Guldur for a while in the Third Age, but I can't remember the chronology. I'm 99% sure this is mentioned in the ROTK appendix.

Yeah he is, and he's also mentioned to be an Easterling. IIRC in one of the letters JRRT says that only 2-3 of the Nine are probably Numenorean.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Fairly old, but probably not that old. He implies that he’s experienced “old times” when there were “no big bosses”, so he likely was active before Sauron reestablished his rule in Mordor (almost 70 years ago). Gorbag also refers to Sam as being “more dangerous than any other damned rebel that ever walked since the bad old times, since the Great Siege.” You could assume this means he personally remembers Elendil and Gil-galad’s war, but I doubt it. He’s referring to a vague, propagandistic conception of how bad things can get. There’s no detail there that says to me “this guy is 3000 years old and has met elf warriors”, it’s more like this guy thinks of elf warriors as a boogeyman.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Rightful" inheritance is a social construct and the practical strength of Aragorn's claim is built on the back of some old poems Gandalf wrote, and Elvish tricks. Oh, and the army at his back. But the Witch King had one of those. The people want the good old days where a king with healing hands sent them off on foreign wars.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

sassassin posted:

"Rightful" inheritance is a social construct and the practical strength of Aragorn's claim is built on the back of some old poems Gandalf wrote, and Elvish tricks. Oh, and the army at his back. But the Witch King had one of those. The people want the good old days where a king with healing hands sent them off on foreign wars.

Necromancy is absolutely a form of "healing"! The men of Carn Dum went on all kinds of foreign adventures, this sounds pretty great honestly. Just think, no more succession crises ever again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm not seeing any mention of Khamul anywhere in the books or appendices.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm not seeing any mention of Khamul anywhere in the books or appendices.

He's only named in "The Hunt for the Ring" in Unfinished Tales

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

skasion posted:

He's only named in "The Hunt for the Ring" in Unfinished Tales

There he is!

Also:

quote:

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions,

Do I smell an opportunity for a sitcom about roommates?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

W • R • A • I • T • H • S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Do I smell an opportunity for a sitcom about roommates?

Sitcom or Reality Show?
Find out what happens when Nazgul stop being polite and start getting real.