Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1352064264144613376?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wow. Great game. I thought Jack did a really great job too and it’s a shame the tiebreaker is basically just who can buzz in fastest now.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wtf, on my affiliate they're airing the same episode as yesterday?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You can thank Arthur Chu for the death of ties. Man it has to suck to go from $37k to $2k in an instant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They shoulda kept it the same. As much of a loser as Arthur is you still need to know enough poo poo to be able to pull it off.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What was the original tie breaker?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Zesty posted:

What was the original tie breaker?

There wasn't any, they just brought back both players.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chu knew the best move was to bring along an opponent he knew was weaker than him so tying with them halved the chance a contestant stronger than him would be in the next game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm fine with the tie breakers because Chu's strategy did suck even if it was an aberration. But it's ridiculous that you can't also keep the money.

I also feel like the tie breaker should just be an entire rapid style category with Best of 5.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wish they would just do another final jeopardy for the tiebreaker. It was too clear tonight that doing it this way is just about buzzer speed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

Wish they would just do another final jeopardy for the tiebreaker. It was too clear tonight that doing it this way is just about buzzer speed.

Yup if you're gonna do one clue for the tiebreaker you gotta do it that way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like another Final Jeopardy is too likely to just end in another tie.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Final jeopardies all the way down imo, it would basically just be sudden death, but at least it would be based more on knowledge rather than buzzer speed

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
To be fair to this sucky "faster buzzer wins" way of doing it, the idea is to make it VERY undesirable to tie.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't like the idea of the tiebreaker at all. Stop being cheap, Sony!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Anne Whateley posted:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like another Final Jeopardy is too likely to just end in another tie.

They can keep sudden death buzzer round but the question needs to be much harder.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HookShot posted:

It must suck rear end to be a contestant and not actually get called on your taping day because the rate of churn through the contestant queue isn't predictable, though. Especially if you're already traveling in a pandemic, avoiding air travel, driving half a day each direction to do it

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

HookShot posted:

This is also my opinion.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

This is also my opinion.

Either this, or at the very least - tiebreaker to see who gets the $$$ but both players get to come back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

It must suck rear end to be a contestant and not actually get called on your taping day because the rate of churn through the contestant queue isn't predictable, though. Especially if you're already traveling in a pandemic, avoiding air travel, driving half a day each direction to do it

They have two locals from LA per day who know they might not make it on for that very reason.

Although I guess right now it's a hell of a lot more than two locals LOL.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The random Saturday night Jeopardy last night was when the guy wagered $420 in Final Jeopardy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I propose that the tiebreaker determines who gets to pick between "today's money" and "coming back".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I propose that the tiebreaker determines who gets to pick between "today's money" and "coming back".
This is actually the best solution.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Settle it Friend or Foe style

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Ideally a tie would be decided by a penalty kick shootout, with the host goalkeeping.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"What is a penalty kick?" - every Jeopardy! contestant ever

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

"What is a penalty kick?" - every Jeopardy! contestant ever

Oooh... no, sorry, we were looking for "field goal."

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

No one knew what "flamin hot" cheetos are?!?!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I freaked out when they showed Elliott's name because the ads for his podcast on Max Fun make me want to hurl myself into a volcano

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Poque posted:

I freaked out when they showed Elliott's name because the ads for his podcast on Max Fun make me want to hurl myself into a volcano

I used to be fairly religious Flophouse listener, but I haven’t listened in awhile (because I’m behind on everything). So I wonder if he mentioned it on the show. Either way, it surprised me.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

is anyone else noticing Ken's voice echoing a lot on the set

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

you broke my grill posted:

is anyone else noticing Ken's voice echoing a lot on the set

Yeah I noticed this; it's bugging me a bit.

Found the final jeopardy hard. I guessed Malta and Turkey lol

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RadicalTranslation posted:

I only saw the second half because the impeachment news broke in, but I generally do pretty decently playing along at home, last night's game was hard as poo poo.

In my head I was thinking largest coastline, so I went with Italy and couldn't think of the other one because I'm pretty poo poo at geography.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

I wasn't paying that much attention to the first portion of the game, so I didn't realize it until the end, but yeah. I used to listen to the Flophouse, but like the vast majority Max Fun podcasts, they're way too far up their own asses.

I think someone in a different thread said it best that they pretty much give anyone with a microphone a podcast over there.

RadicalTranslation posted:

:same:

Although in hindsight Turkey probably doesn't count because everyone forgets about the Aegean Sea

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I only saw the second half because the impeachment news broke in

:same:, yet the actual violent storming of the capitol never interrupted the broadcast here. I dunno...it's important, but delivering papers to the Senate doesn't seem to warrant 20+ minutes of analysis.

I had to walk it through a bit but got final. I think geography categories are pretty safe bets for me, but that was still a tricky one.

simble
May 11, 2004

I got Monaco easily, but I newly learned that Algeria is large as poo poo. It's half the size of Europe.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Iron Crowned posted:

Although in hindsight Turkey probably doesn't count because everyone forgets about the Aegean Sea
The Aegean Sea is a marginal sea that's considered to be part of the Mediterranean

simble posted:

I got Monaco easily, but I newly learned that Algeria is large as poo poo. It's half the size of Europe.
There's maybe some perspective stuff going on there. It's still absolutely enormous but it's just below 1/4 the size, not half

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 26, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vulture Culture posted:

The Aegean Sea is a marginal sea that's considered to be part of the Mediterranean

The southern border of Turkey is still on the Mediterranean anyway.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got it immediately but only because geography is my jam. I was torn at first, my instinct was Turkey, but there was nothing on the other side it could be, so I decided to go for the small one first and quickly figured out Monaco and it was easy from there.

Algeria was bigger than I remembered, too. Absolutely crushes Turkey, size-wise.

Fartington Butts posted:

No one knew what "flamin hot" cheetos are?!?!
I laughed at this at the time; those three contestants obviously have their lives put together way too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

I laughed at this at the time; those three contestants obviously have their lives put together way too well.

As a regular listener of the Flop House, I can tell you that Elliott Kalan has the same taste in food as an eight year old and subsists primarily on Popeye's Chicken. I was honestly shocked he didn't get the Flamin' Hot Cheetos clue.