Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

timn posted:

Save up for a larger emergency fund first if you spook yourself this easily.

I mean, that’s what I did? I increased my emergency fund in the presence of what I perceive to be an increased risk. When the increased risk disappeared I put the now excess emergency fund into retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I do recall putting a bit of play money in UXVY, then getting spooked enough at the concept of leverage to pull out and never touch it again.

Which is not to say that leverage is bad - I just don’t understand it well enough to be using it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nah, I just wanted to have money on hand in case poo poo hit the fan.

It wasn't about a worry about the stock market tanking.

I mean, honestly, I feel you. I avoided contributing to my IRA because I thought the US was going into some deep dark poo poo it’d take decades to pull out of. It still might, but I figured I’d hedge my bets.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 22, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truthfully your best bet for your mental health or whatever would be to continually invest over the year instead of waiting for An Event to happen. No it’s not mathematically significant over the long term, and it’s not really a good idea but I like not having shot my shot before the market drops.

I LOVED buying cheap stocks in early/mid 2020 but it really doesn’t matter in the long run because the reason I was able to buy cheap stocks in early/mid 2020 meant I was still buying the same stocks when they were near ATHs at the end of the year because time in market > timing market. But I’m in my 20s, I’m hosed anyways.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

If your efund is small enough that events like that cause you to increase it, you should probably have a bigger efund. It's easy enough to be satisfied with a small cushion when things are going well, but that's not what it's for. It's for the bad times.

You shouldn't be happy with the size of your fund in good times, you should be slightly uncomfortable with the size being too big. That way when SHTF it's actually enough.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pollyanna posted:

I do recall putting a bit of play money in UXVY, then getting spooked enough at the concept of leverage to pull out and never touch it again.

Which is not to say that leverage is bad - I just don’t understand it well enough to be using it.

I mean, honestly, I feel you. I avoided contributing to my IRA because I thought the US was going into some deep dark poo poo it’d take decades to pull out of. It still might, but I figured I’d hedge my bets.

i mean, something like uvxy literally is a short term play. it’s expected to drop massively all the time forever except for a few brief spikes upwards

i don’t think the volatility decay is what’s killing you on this long term investment:

in fact, the volatility decay is working in your favor so that you’d only be at -82% cagr instead of -150% cagr that a naive person would expect from leveraging vixy

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 22, 2021

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Etuni posted:

The best gift you can give your children is your own financial independence. They can take out loans for their college, you can’t take out loans for food/housing in your old age. Better to fund your own retirement first, so they won’t have to take care of themselves AND you once they get their first job.

I know this is a popular opinion but I get the vibe that kids would rather have their parents help pay for their college education. Just a hunch.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

laxbro posted:

529 plans are for the wealthy. Prioritize retirement. You can cash flow or take loans out when it’s tuition time.

Not to say you shouldn’t start one. I stash gifts from family in the 529. If you’re maxing retirement accounts and your state gives a tax break for contributions then you can consider contributing up to the tax break max.

Congrats on being wealthy and having a 529 and being wealthy I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ranbo das posted:

If your efund is small enough that events like that cause you to increase it, you should probably have a bigger efund. It's easy enough to be satisfied with a small cushion when things are going well, but that's not what it's for. It's for the bad times.

You shouldn't be happy with the size of your fund in good times, you should be slightly uncomfortable with the size being too big. That way when SHTF it's actually enough.

My efund is enough for 6 months at current expense levels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zaurg posted:

I know this is a popular opinion but I get the vibe that kids would rather have their parents help pay for their college education. Just a hunch.

That's because at age 18 or whatever the kid is thinking about how they are going to pay for college because it's the next big challenge in front of them. They're not thinking about when they're 35 and Mom and Dad are retiring without enough money in the bank to see them through.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kind of a follow up from my last question about the 401k being terminated now that its official. I have a SIMPLE IRA from a previous job >3 years ago that I still have around that was never rolled into my current 401k. HR is saying that we have to either rollover our 401k to something else or possibly take a tax hit. If I roll everything to the SIMPLE will I then be able to roll THAT over to a new employers 401k without penalty? This poo poo is maddening as I really just intended to roll everything over to my new employers retirement once I secured a new job but that may be happening sooner than I anticipated.

Plan terminations are a real fucker it seems like.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Can I ask why you don't want to keep control over the money yourself in an IRA? The only reason I can really think of is backdoor roth reasons.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I figured 1 big snowball was better than a couple smaller snowballs.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Rolling it in to your SIMPLE IRA would be fine. So would opening up a rollover IRA at vanguard and dumping the funds there. Just don't end up taking it as a distribution with the tax and penalty associated.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

I figured 1 big snowball was better than a couple smaller snowballs.

Money fully in your control is better than money not fully in your control.

fenixwb
Jul 14, 2007
I'm at the point where I've maxed out pre-tax contributions and paid off all debts, have 20% savings of a home, etc, and can start investing post-tax dollars. So far I've just been plugging everything into target date funds in my 401k, Roth and HSA.

Am I doing anything really tax inefficient or regretful by just putting all post tax investments into a target fund as well?

I'm willing to get more involved if it would actually be beneficial, but I've also found psychologically it's better to keep it simple, or I start psyching myself out with all the fluctuations this year (really should have started post -tax investment last January, but didn't, and now I'm cash heavy).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

fenixwb posted:

Am I doing anything really tax inefficient or regretful by just putting all post tax investments into a target fund as well?
You're talking about in a taxable brokerage account? Yeah, a target date fund is inefficient. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement

If you want to keep things relatively easy, I would put all post tax into a split of US total stock and International total stock (so just 2 index funds). You can up the bond portion of your allocation elsewhere by switching to an earlier target date fund (say from 2040 to 2035) if you want to make it more conservative to balance out your all-stock taxable portfolio.

The more you slice and dice, the more you can control things like tax loss harvesting or just taxes in general when you end up selling, since each lot you buy will have a different tax impact. It's a tradeoff of control vs. laziness.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I've got 2 small 401ks and 1 big one from my past 3 jobs. I'm planning on rolling the small ones into the big one, but just out of curiosity is there any financial benefit to this or is just for the sake of convenience?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

is pepsi ok posted:

I've got 2 small 401ks and 1 big one from my past 3 jobs. I'm planning on rolling the small ones into the big one, but just out of curiosity is there any financial benefit to this or is just for the sake of convenience?

You might have some advantage there if the big one has lower fees or general better plan offerings, but there's no intrinsic benefit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So the Mega Millions is up to a billion dollars. Who's fantasizing about maxing out all their retirement accounts if they have the winning numbers?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So the Mega Millions is up to a billion dollars. Who's fantasizing about maxing out all their retirement accounts if they have the winning numbers?

If “maxing out retirement” means “immediately retiring* and disappearing to an island” then yeah we are on the same page.

*after contracting a law firm to make sure I can anonymously claim the winnings and then stay at work a few months so the timing is not suspicious

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

Are you even allowed to rollover funds into a former employer's plan? They're usually lowkey pushing you to roll your funds out.

Unless you mean roll them all into your current 401k then nevermind.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

fart simpson posted:

all of the leveraged etf versions of big index funds have done well since inception

All the leveraged etf versions of big index funds were launched in like 2009.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

doingitwrong posted:

All the leveraged etf versions of big index funds were launched in like 2009.

sso launched in 2006 :grin:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
So whose coworker went all-in with their retirement fund in gamestop? Just gotta pick when it's going to peak..

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

totalnewbie posted:

So whose coworker went all-in with their retirement fund in gamestop? Just gotta pick when it's going to peak..

Seeing people gamble on WSB poo poo with retirement accounts is very funny to me. Brokers should absolutely build in the price is right horn when people make stupid bets and lose half their lifetime's tax-deferred retirement savings because of a reddit post.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A billion is an insane amount of money, arguably more trouble than it’s worth. But I would definitely roll around reminding everyone that they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps like I did.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

fart simpson posted:

sso launched in 2006 :grin:

I went heavy into SSO in 09, it paid off but was stupid as hell.

fenixwb
Jul 14, 2007

moana posted:

You're talking about in a taxable brokerage account? Yeah, a target date fund is inefficient. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement

If you want to keep things relatively easy, I would put all post tax into a split of US total stock and International total stock (so just 2 index funds). You can up the bond portion of your allocation elsewhere by switching to an earlier target date fund (say from 2040 to 2035) if you want to make it more conservative to balance out your all-stock taxable portfolio.

The more you slice and dice, the more you can control things like tax loss harvesting or just taxes in general when you end up selling, since each lot you buy will have a different tax impact. It's a tradeoff of control vs. laziness.

Thanks for that link. That's exactly the info I had scoured the internet for before posting, but just couldn't seem to find in an organized way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fenixwb posted:

Thanks for that link. That's exactly the info I had scoured the internet for before posting, but just couldn't seem to find in an organized way.

when in doubt check Bogleheads

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I usually get tax forums for savings accounts if they’ve made over $10 for the year.

But do I get tax forums for money that I placed into the market (ETFs / mutual funds / a few individual stocks), which I haven’t sold, but have made money? I know I’ll have to pay capital gains tax when I sell, which should generate a tax form.

Last year was the first time I placed money into the market that wasn’t a ROTH IRA or a 401k, which is the reason for the newbie question.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I usually get tax forums for savings accounts if they’ve made over $10 for the year.

But do I get tax forums for money that I placed into the market (ETFs / mutual funds / a few individual stocks), which I haven’t sold, but have made money? I know I’ll have to pay capital gains tax when I sell, which should generate a tax form.

Last year was the first time I placed money into the market that wasn’t a ROTH IRA or a 401k, which is the reason for the newbie question.

You only get a tax form for gains when you realize them. This means sell, most of the time, and only in a taxable account. Your roth literally never pays taxes again, and the 401k only on withdrawal.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It'll be a 1099b that you get, probably in the "tax documents" section of the brokerage website. But yeah, nothing until you actually sell something and realize the gains. You can check your unrealized gains report to see what you would be paying if you sold.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

moana posted:

It'll be a 1099b that you get, probably in the "tax documents" section of the brokerage website. But yeah, nothing until you actually sell something and realize the gains. You can check your unrealized gains report to see what you would be paying if you sold.

He mentioned mutual funds/ETFs, so it's possible to have sold nothing but still have realized gains from moves the fund(s) made which of course will result in a 1099b as well.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

obi_ant posted:

If those funds paid any dividends you'll get a form for that you will have to pay tax on.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Motronic posted:

He mentioned mutual funds/ETFs, so it's possible to have sold nothing but still have realized gains from moves the fund(s) made which of course will result in a 1099b as well.

Does this include automatically reinvested dividends from a mutual fund like VTSAX?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

zaurg posted:

Does this include automatically reinvested dividends from a mutual fund like VTSAX?

Yes, dividend reinvestment is two transactions: 1) receiving the cash dividend and 2) buying more shares with that cash. Brokers just automate it for you.

The first part is where the tax is, and you'll receive a 1099-DIV for it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

The first part is where the tax is, and you'll receive a 1099-DIV for it.

Yeah, I was thinking only about the fund selling securities and forgot about the dividend part. So yeah....both. I actually don't remember which 1099-whatever I see those on, but I know it's part of my tax liability.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

H110Hawk posted:

You only get a tax form for gains when you realize them. This means sell, most of the time, and only in a taxable account. Your roth literally never pays taxes again, and the 401k only on withdrawal.

This bears repeating since it can be especially confusing at first. Roth and 401k are orthogonal concepts. You can have traditional and Roth IRAs, and you can have traditional and Roth 401ks. Traditional vs. Roth pivots on tax treatment, while IRA vs. 401k pivots on account type and who's offering/controlling it.

That said, most 401k contributions are to traditional accounts, whereas IRA contributions are common for both traditional and Roth depending on the person's income and access to other retirement account types through their employer.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
My wife has a mutual fund she inherited from her grandma that's managed by a local firm. Is there a way to transfer it into her Vanguard account? It's split across 3 funds and we're trying to consolidate while eliminating fees. Would she have to cash it out and pay tax before reinvesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My broker (europe tho) sends me a pdf every year which says what I need to declare, and iirc they also inform the tax agency so I usually don't even have to enter anything, just press next on the tax app