Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Luckily, the EU sees no reason to close internal borders to prevent people from going skiing abroad, having normal Easter holidays in Spain, Italy or on the Balkans and then come back bringing all new mutations into their home countries.

That's because it won't happen since our government is "strongly urging people to abstain from unnecessary travel" after all.
Boy I sure am glad that 1 year of constantly displayed stupidity by the people has taught our government that their subjects will surely listen to their pleas.

We are so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It just makes me want to scream. What the gently caress is the point of cutting myself off from normal life for almost a year, of not seeing friends, of not seeing family, of not being able to say goodbye to my grandmother before she died, when most people here don't give a gently caress and the disease will keep raging for months and months due to their selfishness and stupidity?

Distanced hugs from Sweden. It’s a shared feeling and it is maddening. I’ve lost faith and trust in others, that the bare minimum so we all win is something simply unacceptable for them.

I overheard my colleague the other day complain about having to leave England to return to Sweden before the lockdown (this was over the holidays) and I wanted to just go full rage out on me. I don’t like that these feelings of resentment are growing and growing in me. I don’t like feeling snap anger at someone when I see them maskless or worse, with their nose sticking out.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

I overheard my colleague the other day complain about having to leave England to return to Sweden before the lockdown

He's bringing the Britbug with him

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hopper posted:

Luckily, the EU sees no reason to close internal borders to prevent people from going skiing abroad, having normal Easter holidays in Spain, Italy or on the Balkans and then come back bringing all new mutations into their home countries.

That's because it won't happen since our government is "strongly urging people to abstain from unnecessary travel" after all.
Boy I sure am glad that 1 year of constantly displayed stupidity by the people has taught our government that their subjects will surely listen to their pleas.

We are so hosed.

But skiing is a healthy activity that you do outdoors and you'll be distant the whole time!

Timeline: How 1 skier landed 5,000 people in quarantine

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Someone called me "covid crazy" for being in, essentially, total lockdown. He got coronavirus and doesn't know how.

That’s cool

The rest of us who work facing the public and are not allowed to wear half or full respirators would very much like the work from home bunker posters to stfu now

There’s no point in us ‘bunkering up’. We have to work to live. Everyday we might catch it, never know it and get organ damage. This is just reality now. You live in a different world.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just pass a bylaw allowing frontline workers to shoot to kill anyone not wearing masks, that'd be a nice compromise :)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Anyone else have dreams about being in public crowded around people not wearing masks? Good or bad? They freak me right out, get away from me. I guess anxiety is bleeding into my dreams... I'd rather be a wizard.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Regarde Aduck posted:

The rest of us who work facing the public and are not allowed to wear half or full respirators would very much like the work from home bunker posters to stfu now

There’s no point in us ‘bunkering up’. We have to work to live. Everyday we might catch it, never know it and get organ damage. This is just reality now. You live in a different world.

the psychic burden of working a public-facing job in a pandemic is gonna make a lot of therapists a lot of money and if covid gets labeled a preexisting condition for insurance coverage purposes there will be riots. the world is gonna be different for...well, probably forever. This isn't the last epidemic, and being out in the trenches so to speak sucks rear end. Sure do love being blasted with particles from coworkers and randos on the daily. Just reinforces the utter randomness of it all. You have my sympathies. We do what we can to survive.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Anyone else have dreams about being in public crowded around people not wearing masks? Good or bad? They freak me right out, get away from me. I guess anxiety is bleeding into my dreams... I'd rather be a wizard.

Yes! I wake up feeling panicked and it sucks!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They haven't quite replaced the "wake up before exam and I haven't been in class for 3 months" dreams but slowly getting there :hmmrona:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My survivors guilt is at an all time high. What can people who live in New Zealand do to help? I've got friends in Europe and its beyond heart breaking.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

My survivors guilt is at an all time high. What can people who live in New Zealand do to help? I've got friends in Europe and its beyond heart breaking.

Keep being amazing. When the rest of us are all dead because people can't stop going to restaurants, y'all will inherit the earth.

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.
lovely bathroom spotlights are down 2/8 working so I went out to Screwfix (UK - hardware) to pick up some replacements and re-wire them.

Order on-line, go in wearing mask. Big signs saying no customer entry without a mask on door. I'm the only customer in there. While in collecting mine from a mask wearing staff member behind a plastic screen, in comes huge fat fifty something plumber man.

No mask, blatantly just come from a customer site. Out of breath from walking in from the van and yelling his order before getting to the till.

I did feel guilty about going shopping before I went. Not so much now.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Waffle! posted:

Not dreams but sometimes I feel unnerved watching films/shows, especially any scenes in a bar/restaurant/office and it takes me a minute to realise why.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

freebooter posted:

I was in self-imposed lockdown for basically eight months, in Melbourne which was in enforced lockdown for March/April and then again for July-October, and the only way I handled that without going insane was the knowledge that the rest of the country was doing just fine and if we could just get through it, we could join them (which we now have). We could literally watch the numbers going down each day until we hit zero. I can't imagine how much it must loving suck to have to isolate for longer than that and also not have the end anywhere in sight.

Don't forget the added bonus of half of your acquaintances calling you an idiot for taking it seriously as you watch the numbers go up every day

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

teen witch posted:

I don’t like feeling snap anger at someone when I see them maskless or worse, with their nose sticking out.

Yeeeeep. I know exactly what you mean, or at least I identify it in myself as well. These people are making me pretty angry and I don't like it one bit, I don't like being angry or feeling this way about other people.

Lycka till, förhoppningsvis kommer historien att ha ett lyckligt slut.

If I still remember anything from high school Swedish :v:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

teen witch posted:

Distanced hugs from Sweden. It’s a shared feeling and it is maddening. I’ve lost faith and trust in others, that the bare minimum so we all win is something simply unacceptable for them.

I overheard my colleague the other day complain about having to leave England to return to Sweden before the lockdown (this was over the holidays) and I wanted to just go full rage out on me. I don’t like that these feelings of resentment are growing and growing in me. I don’t like feeling snap anger at someone when I see them maskless or worse, with their nose sticking out.

Feeling rage at loving idiots is normal, imo

Don’t have to get into confrontations but I can’t help think “this guy is very ignorant, dumb, or selfish, but while I find out Imma stay 6+ feet away”

Edit: I don’t mind the nose-out guys so much, they’re better than maskless morons. They’re trying, or pretending to follow instructions.

Usually if I ask them to wear it correctly or say “oh your mask slipped down”, most put it on correctly.

I tried to give away a mask to a dude working outside my home and he said “oh I have a mask, I just don’t wear it” ok guy thanks

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 23, 2021

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1352970853709991936

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

How in demand are tech workers in New Zealand? How hard would it be to move there with my doggo? Insanely jealous of your country's ability to work together and get the pandemic under control compared to USA's (North Dakota) ridiculous 'efforts'.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Phuzun posted:

How in demand are tech workers in New Zealand? How hard would it be to move there with my doggo? Insanely jealous of your country's ability to work together and get the pandemic under control compared to USA's (North Dakota) ridiculous 'efforts'.

It's extremely difficult to enter NZ or Australia at the moment. One of the most effective ways both countries have of controlling covid is limiting the amount of people entering and requiring those who do enter to spend time in managed isolation/quarantine. Until enough people are vaccinated, border control is unlikely to be eased.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Lolie posted:

It's extremely difficult to enter NZ or Australia at the moment. One of the most effective ways both countries have of controlling covid is limiting the amount of people entering and requiring those who do enter to spend time in managed isolation/quarantine. Until enough people are vaccinated, border control is unlikely to be eased.

To add to this foreign goons, it's also a pain in the arse entering DIFFERENT states in the same country. But seeing what it's like across the other side of the world, it's small potatoes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

Just don't get covid.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
How can the US ever get this under control? Y'all are still seeing daily new cases in the hundred of thouasands, like, what the gently caress?

About 8% of your entire population has now had covid.

This should be called the Trump Flu

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

jet sanchEz posted:

How can the US ever get this under control? Y'all are still seeing daily new cases in the hundred of thouasands, like, what the gently caress?

It's endemic, so it's now just another disease we'll have to deal with basically indefinitely, unless many more people agree to get vaccinated and vaccine-resistant strains don't evolve. We'd be a total leper colony if so many other developed countries (aside from places like AUS/NZ/Taiwan/etc.) weren't also doing loving horribly as well.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

jet sanchEz posted:

the initial chud take was wait for it to hit everyone who doesn't get natural immunity or a vaccine

ten months on, looking at state and local and individual responses to date, I think that might be the only way (assuming away reinfection from new strains because lol if that happens) we get it under control unless the feds can somehow wrangle maliciously incompetent and non-compliant states

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Not gonna lie I lol'ed

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1353075491771584514?s=19

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
lotta chuddy poo poo under #ef2301 right now

https://twitter.com/DaliaGrinfeld/status/1353092343335964677

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Ignore my previous post! It was a good run New Zealand! Hopefully we can get on top of this fast.

OddlySpecificGuy
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but , https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/it-almost-over-us-sees-record-one-day-drop-covid-hospitalizations

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Confusedslight posted:

Ignore my previous post! It was a good run New Zealand! Hopefully we can get on top of this fast.

The reports I'm reading suggest that it's more likely to be a border case than a community transmission case. They seem to think it might have originated when someone had close contact with a woman who was released from quarantine after testing negative on day 12.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I wouldn't take Zero Hedge, a website where all the writers use the pseudonym Tyler Durden, seriously.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/AZGOP/status/1353098659139735552

Also, lol @ you posting an article by some weird conspiracy monger.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, if the article you want to link includes phrases like

quote:

So is the beginning of covid's end truly nigh (coincidentally, just as Joe Biden walked into the White House)?
or

quote:

herd immunity should be a fact of life by the late spring (unless, of course, Fauci moves the goalposts again, or a new mutant strain with immunity to all vaccines mysteriously emerges in the next few weeks).

you might be a moron.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I don’t disagree that zerohedge.com itself looks questionable, but they cite Bloomberg which in turn says it uses Covid Tracking Project data.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fame Douglas posted:

https://twitter.com/AZGOP/status/1353098659139735552

Also, lol @ you posting an article by some weird conspiracy monger.

Understandable, back in January of 2020 we didn’t understand the risks of such large gatherings without masks, in fact the cdc itself recommTHIS IS IN 2021???!:crackping:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

As bad as the vaccine rollout has been it's still happening and we've mostly been targeting the most at-risk demographics. So it makes sense that hospitalizations will start trending downwards.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Understandable, back in January of 2020 we didn’t understand the risks of such large gatherings without masks, in fact the cdc itself recommTHIS IS IN 2021???!:crackping:
I realize this is the 'Rona thread, not a politics thread, but it's almost impossible to overstate the insanity of the Arizona GOP right now, even relative to the insanity of the GOP in general. They're tripling and quadrupling down on Trump's election fraud disinformation, and they are voting to censure prominent Republicans in their state who say "Sorry guys, that's all bullshit and Biden actually won."

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
So I’m in the process of moving from the northeast to Florida (lol RIP), currently in NC at a hotel.

Holy gently caress no one down here wears a mask. I saw a handful of employees at the gas stations I stopped at wearing a mask, and zero customers. Not even chin masks, nothing at all.

And the people 2 rooms down are having a roughly 15 person hotel room rager, blasting music and getting absolutely hammered.

Like, I thought my old state was bad from the dozen or so people out of every 200 that don’t care, but this is another level of denial.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Have you never visited the south before? The people there live to ruin other peoples' good times.

Get ahead on some practice and report that hotel party down the hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Basically every time I get food pickup here in Central FL and I drive by other restaurants they are full at capacity. You would never know anything was wrong.