Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somewhat related but have they done anything with the hint that Vulcan was resurrected but the original might not actually be dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the limited information thus far doesn't 100% rule out that there may be two Vulcans, but after X-Men #10 (the first issue of the Empyre tie-in) it seems like there's a more likely explanation:

X-Men #1: Vulcan is back and with a better attitude.

X-Men #8: A [Shi'ar] data page talks about how Vulcan was presumed dead after the War of Kings finale. Specifically "VULCAN was also believed to have perished in the fault."
Then a page (that mirrors Black Bolt's page from Hickman's FF) showing Vulcan floating in the fault and being told to wake up. Then an updated copy of the same page ends the issue saying "VULCAN never died."

This was where everyone got the idea that maybe Krakoa resurrected a happier less broken Vulcan and the original crazy Vulcan was still floating in the Fault, unless I'm missing something else.

X-Men #10: The same Floating in the Void page but this time the dream/flashback continues to show Vulcan retrieved by an unknown/unnamed group who do alien/magic surgery on him, describing him as broken but with a sliver of good in him. "So we've separated the two. Inside -- hidden under a thin layer of good -- is the beautiful broken creature you are. We're going to release you back into your universe. They will see you as changed -- reborn, healthy and whole but that is just a shell. Underneath it -- buried alive in a shallow grave -- is the REAL you."

I don't think they've ever specifically mentioned Vulcan getting resurrected, so it's reasonable to assume the one from the Fault, plucked out of the Fault by these mysterious beings, and then "released back into the universe" is currently the one and only Vulcan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ahhh I see. I just wondered because they sort of made it sound really bad if they resurrected someone and they ended up still being alive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

isn't there there's at least one person who's had their memories altered and is living out the rest of their life on like Krakoa's south beach and possibly feeling vaguely confused?

Rockslide

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Ahhh I see. I just wondered because they sort of made it sound really bad if they resurrected someone and they ended up still being alive.

Oh, if the "there's only one Vulcan" thing is true they'll definitely still do that at some point with someone else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Too soon.

Also I thought there was a human or human family who had it happened to them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/CoriMarie21/status/1353108946177961984?s=20

I'm posting this here and in the funny panels thread because I desperately want a source and to make sure that's Jimmy Olsen.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dawgstar posted:

Too soon.

Also I thought there was a human or human family who had it happened to them.

One of Forge's old coworkers at the DOD, a guy named Daniels, was being forced to work for an anti-mutant group but left a little hidden bread-trail so that he could be retrieved and the group who had him could be shut down. It turns out he was also subtly sabotaging the whole... whatever it was.

In the end Forge extracts him and they make up but he can't let Daniels go back to his old life so he gets some kind of ambivalent partial mind-wipe and gets deposited to live in a mutant retirement community in Arizona, playing golf with Masque. This all went down in Marauders #10.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

One of Forge's old coworkers at the DOD, a guy named Daniels, was being forced to work for an anti-mutant group but left a little hidden bread-trail so that he could be retrieved and the group who had him could be shut down. It turns out he was also subtly sabotaging the whole... whatever it was.

In the end Forge extracts him and they make up but he can't let Daniels go back to his old life so he gets some kind of ambivalent partial mind-wipe and gets deposited to live in a mutant retirement community in Arizona, playing golf with Masque. This all went down in Marauders #10.

I mean, if my choices are that and making weapons of a xenophobic group bent on genocide...

Forge was the first person to design a weapon that could take away mutant powers though, it should be noted.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if my choices are that and making weapons of a xenophobic group bent on genocide...

Forge was the first person to design a weapon that could take away mutant powers though, it should be noted.

well, first one to design one that worked

Also IIRC he was only able to design it after getting technical details on ROM's weaponry; wasn't it based in part on ROM's neutralizer?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also IIRC he was only able to design it after getting technical details on ROM's weaponry; wasn't it based in part on ROM's neutralizer?

I haven't read Love Death in ages.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, I'll go dig up a scan but I think the gist was that not even Forge could totally duplicate ROM's technology but he used it as the basis for either refinements to his existing stuff or as the groundwork.

Edit: Here we go, UXM #184

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 24, 2021

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Dawgstar posted:

isn't there there's at least one person who's had their memories altered and is living out the rest of their life on like Krakoa's south beach and possibly feeling vaguely confused?

Beak's memories were altered so he thinks his parents died years ago of natural causes instead of recently at the hands of a Central American drug cartel. (This wasn't officially sanctioned, a couple of young mutants just did it so he wouldn't have trauma.)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sesq posted:

I think the Namor thing came from him being called a mutant prior to X-Men #1 (in Fantastic Four), but I'd need to double check that.

Whizzer got retconned into being a mutant who didn't have his powers activated until he injected himself with mongoose blood. Which begs the question, how many mutants are out there who have no idea until they try doing something in equal parts random and insane?

As I understand it this is kind of how meta humans work in DC. Every 1/1000 people born have the meta gene, but it doesn't activate unless you are exposed to some life threatening event.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

As I understand it this is kind of how meta humans work in DC. Every 1/1000 people born have the meta gene, but it doesn't activate unless you are exposed to some life threatening event.

Part of their own retcon, actually, introduced in the Invasion! crossover in... 1988, I think? That was where the idea of the meta-gene was introduced. I think the last book to really address it heavily, though, was probably Busiek's Power Company, which was a while back.

Which begs the question, come to think on it - if something's been a relatively stable, if not always heavily emphasized, part of a continuity, at which point does it stop being a retcon and just becomes 'established continuity that took a little while to get established?'

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

like a mazarin-rashoud node :thunk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A post in another thread made me wonder, in the X books have they brought back any of the X-Statix characters? Because that was a lot of dead mutants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

A post in another thread made me wonder, in the X books have they brought back any of the X-Statix characters? Because that was a lot of dead mutants.

There was an X-Statix one shot that took place post HoxPox.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Skwirl posted:

There was an X-Statix one shot that took place post HoxPox.

And there is allegedly set to be a new book called the X-Cellent. There was a shot of Doop in the X of Swords fight, but that's all I've seen of them since I started reading X-Men again with HoX/PoX.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

they're a bit like the GLA in that death is kind of a gag for them

Doop came back almost immediately and was a staff member at the Jean Grey School in Wolverine and the X-Men
the X-Statix Presents Dead Girl mini brought back Dead Girl and Anarchist, with U-Go Girl and Mr. Sensitive appearing in the afterlife
Giant Size X-Statix, which is the one-shot others mentioned, brought back Mr. Sensitive and Vivisector (Vivisector, amusingly, appears to have simply not died). Phat stayed dead but his heretofore unmentioned clone daughter joins the team
they tease having Venus brought back by the bad guy (Zeitgeist, from the boy band massacre, also back), but it's supposed to take 15 years, so he kidnaps U-Go Girl's daughter instead, who ends up taking her place on the team. Anarchist's son also joins the team but idk why, I'm pretty sure his dad is alive?

I think that's everybody
the rest (Coach, El Guapo, etc.) stayed dead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been reading through Hellblazer from the beginning and I noticed something kind of weird early on. The issue description for issue 14 says it is the start of the 12 part Fear Machine story arc, except Fear Machine ends at part 9 in issue 22 which the description states that it is "the stunning conclusion to the 12-part Fear Machine storyline." What?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe there was a tie-in?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm trying to remember an old comic that had funny onomatopea. It was kind of mad magazine style, possibly european

E: no I'm apparently just thinking of mad magazine. Don Martin's stuff specifically

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 4, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe there was a tie-in?

The final issue of the story says "Part IX" so it doesn't seem like it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The final issue of the story says "Part IX" so it doesn't seem like it.

I remember thinking that was weird myself when I read it a long time ago. I don't know that there's a real answer, though.

I've been thinking about doing a Hellblazer readthrough when I'm done with my current giant reading project. I've read through about issue 80 and then only very sporadically after that...

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm going to attempt to make it through my dad's old comic book collection this weekend and sort everything out. Obviously it would be helpful to know if something's valuable, even though I'm sure the vast majority is probably worthless. Is there a consensus on the most authoritative place to find values for individual books online? I saw someone link to Comic Collector Live on the first page of this thread, and it also occurs to me that eBay might be a good resource.

Any input would be appreciated.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Blakkout posted:

I'm going to attempt to make it through my dad's old comic book collection this weekend and sort everything out. Obviously it would be helpful to know if something's valuable, even though I'm sure the vast majority is probably worthless. Is there a consensus on the most authoritative place to find values for individual books online? I saw someone link to Comic Collector Live on the first page of this thread, and it also occurs to me that eBay might be a good resource.

Any input would be appreciated.

The Key Collector app is pretty good for filtering out what is worth more than average. Whenever I sell I tend to check that app then look at sold eBay listings to price things out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dead Girl appeared in the most recent issue of Strange Academy, but she's obviously a bit of an outlier, so

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Can anyone explain where the name Dr. Fate came from? As far as I can tell no one who has been Dr. Fate has had the last name of Fate. There is Kent and Inza Nelson, Eric and Linda Strauss, Jared Stevens (who at least dropped the doctor part) and Khalid Ben Hassin. No Fates there. Even the helmet is called the helmet of Nabu.
And while we are at it why is Dr. Fate a doctor? Is everything about "Dr" "Fate" a lie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe he went to the same school as Dr Dre.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's a Dr. Of the Occult.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

He's a Dr. Of the Occult.

They already got one of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

They already got one of them.
Well he'd be Professor Fate but the loving going rate for a lecturer can't keep him in ancient tomes and artifacts can it.

And we all know Dr. Occult is more like Detective Occult, P.I.

There's a serious mis-naming problem in the field of sorcery and otherworldly phenomenon. Etrigan should really get a licensing board and professional trade union going.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr Strange is at least a genuine medical doctor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Whose last name is actually Strange. Dr Fate? More like Dr. Fake

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

Ok, but that's like Dr. Ben Carson having opinions about astrophysics. Like, stay in your lane

Honest answer: probably a way to tie the mystical to the scientific. There was a lot of pseudoscience about understanding nature more and demystifying natural phenomena in the past (kind of echoed with everything being Quantum Magic now), and that title probably bridged the two worlds.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 6, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first guy said "I doctor fate" and people thought he was saying "I, Doctor Fate" and it stuck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

At least Kent Nelson was a respected archeologist so he probably had a doctorate there, but he was one of those assholes who insists you call him "Doctor" because he has a PhD.

Nabu doesn't have any excuse.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I was recently struck by a nostalgia for the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century trade paperback I had as a kid. It turns out this is the Quick Fox edition which collects the first few storylines by Lawrence & Morrow from the 1979 comic series.

My question is, was there ever a digital release of this? I can't find one, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. It looks like in 2013 there was a hardcover reprint of that era as Buck Rogers: The Gray Morrow Years in 2013, but it doesn't look like that was ever released in digital format either.

If all else fails I have a document-feed scanner now, so I could buy a hardcopy second-hand (the family copy got read to death many years ago), unbind it, and digitize it myself, but if there's already an official version I'd rather buy that than go to all that trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Madkal posted:

Can anyone explain where the name Dr. Fate came from?