Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Honestly, this game is hot garbage for me. Autosaves aren't working now, and I just got kicked offline but not only did it kick me off the game crashed. It's a very frustrating experience because the actual game is pretty good, it'd just be nice to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DF posted their sweet spot settings for weaker machines that can't just max everything out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mix5XnN5jxI

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lollerich posted:

OK I'm willing to try this, what does "everything" constitute?
STEP 1) Uninstall the game and close out of EGS.
STEP 2) Go to the folder where it was installed and make sure it isn't there, at all; delete it and anything that remains if it is.
STEP 3) Go to Users/[YourUsername]/AppData/Roaming/ and look for a folder called IOInteractive; delete this whole folder.
STEP 4) Reopen EGS and reinstall the game.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Perhaps I've missed something, but can anyone tell me why I'd pick fibre wire for my loadout other than for the challenges? Is it better than stabbing or shooting people?

I'm also suffering with the server status on PC - it disconnects at least every 5 minutes whilst I'm playing and it takes ages to open the load/save screens.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

repiv posted:

DF posted their sweet spot settings for weaker machines that can't just max everything out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mix5XnN5jxI

It’s weird that these differences are necessary. The two consoles are very similar power-wise. I also thought I heard one of them say in a previous video that despite the downgrade on PS5, it’s really really hard to notice a difference between the two consoles (except the 4k on Xbox). The engine they’ve built is just really good all around.

Sniping the Washington twins went well but yeah you all touched on above on the complications I ran into. I was surprised to find out the guards knew where I was shooting from (I shot both of them less than 3 seconds apart, in the head, with a silenced rifle). Guards literally rushed to the chapel staircase. I was also being searched for. I knocked out a mechanic and took their clothing and the searching went away. I got the sniper assassin rating which felt cool as heck. I am sure drat glad they don’t require “no bodies found”. It doesn’t garner many points at all doing it that way but it’s fun for a level of mastery.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anjow posted:

Perhaps I've missed something, but can anyone tell me why I'd pick fibre wire for my loadout other than for the challenges? Is it better than stabbing or shooting people?

I'm also suffering with the server status on PC - it disconnects at least every 5 minutes whilst I'm playing and it takes ages to open the load/save screens.

Fiber wire is quicker than subduing and lets you instantly transition into dragging the corpse.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Nakar posted:

STEP 1) Uninstall the game and close out of EGS.
STEP 2) Go to the folder where it was installed and make sure it isn't there, at all; delete it and anything that remains if it is.
STEP 3) Go to Users/[YourUsername]/AppData/Roaming/ and look for a folder called IOInteractive; delete this whole folder.
STEP 4) Reopen EGS and reinstall the game.
Thanks, but that didn't work. ;(

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Arist posted:

Fiber wire is quicker than subduing and lets you instantly transition into dragging the corpse.
Yeah, the Chongqing video I posted last night is a perfect example of when it's useful - Hush dies and is immediately moved out of line of sight before the doctor turns back from investigating the brick I threw. There was probably time to kill him with a knife and move the body but the wire is less risky and mechanically easier because you only need to hit one prompt under time pressure, not two.

As for the "everyone on the map magically knows when you snipe someone" thing, it's bollocks because it's entirely magical - if you kill someone with a sniper rifle then you're immediately under a hail of gunfire that is coming from nowhere. The guards also don't even need to see the victim drop to know where you are afaict, they're just psychic. It would be perfectly fine if it was a system that you could play around with but it isn't - it doesn't matter if you fire the loudest gun in the world from the main stage of a music festival in front of 20,000 people or find a concealed spot and try to be stealthy, the result is always "I HOPE YOU LIKE GUARDS MOTHERFUCKER" and that sucks :v:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The disconnect bug was happening quite a lot playing hitman 2 recently as well. I don't think it's hitman 3 specific, just IO's janky servers and online-only single-player in general.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Beat Mendoza and Carpathian Mountains. Game done :toot:

Mendoza rules. Just really great huge map. The lawyer at the start is almost way too easy for the Yates kill and I sort of wish he didn't exist because its the last friggin Hitman map for awhile. But whatever I'll just not use that disguise/route in the future.

The way you exit the map on that one is just *chef kiss*

Carpathia on the other hand sucks. Yeah, I'm with the thread on not playing this again anytime soon. It starts out okay and seems somewhat fun but quickly devolves into just repetitive garbage.

I look at it like Carpathia is Hitman 3's tutorial level, they didn't spend the full resources of a normal map on this. And we don't need a tutorial for 3 since 1 & 2 have them. But still, both ICA test facility and New Zealand are miles better than this. Disappointing.

Also while I liked how the story was ramping up through Berlin -> Chongqing -> Mendoza, the actual ending does feel a bit anticlimactic. I was expecting some twist like Grey is still alive and faked his death or something not that that particularly is great writing but just something... more.

Still, the maps are good and that's all I wanted. Time to go back and get mastery on all maps!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The disconnect bug was happening quite a lot playing hitman 2 recently as well. I don't think it's hitman 3 specific, just IO's janky servers and online-only single-player in general.

Janky as all hell today. Getting disconnected all the drat time is not exactly conducive to immersive killin'

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Pilchenstein posted:

As for the "everyone on the map magically knows when you snipe someone" thing, it's bollocks because it's entirely magical - if you kill someone with a sniper rifle then you're immediately under a hail of gunfire that is coming from nowhere. The guards also don't even need to see the victim drop to know where you are afaict, they're just psychic. It would be perfectly fine if it was a system that you could play around with but it isn't - it doesn't matter if you fire the loudest gun in the world from the main stage of a music festival in front of 20,000 people or find a concealed spot and try to be stealthy, the result is always "I HOPE YOU LIKE GUARDS MOTHERFUCKER" and that sucks :v:
Also note that this bizarre telepathy extends solely to Sniper Rifles. If, instead, you used something like El Matador/Striker (which can one-shot headshot kill at any range), nobody will notice outside of potentially being able to hear it. But e.g. the Berlin radio tower perch is outside the hearing radius of I think basically everyone on the map, so I think it's exactly as reasonable but not as RNG-safe since you can miss.

From the perspective of a long, long, long-time Contracts Mode player, a Sniper Rifle is almost never the right choice when a Pistol will do the same task, even with some mild RNG from potentially missing. The psychic response actually makes it less reliable than resets for Striker accuracy.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 23, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Hacked my way out of bounds on the worst ever hitman level :v: using the ancient, mystical art of walking on top of the train, like you're supposed to

Edit: forgot to ask what's the deal with the first shortcut door on that level? It looks like it must be a cupboard.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

Hacked my way out of bounds on the worst ever hitman level :v: using the ancient, mystical art of walking on top of the train, like you're supposed to

Edit: forgot to ask what's the deal with the first shortcut door on that level? It looks like it must be a cupboard.

It's a cupboard with an SMG and shotgun, also a window that gets you on the roof of the train in that section which I guess lets you skip a car or two

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is the train worse than the filler levels in Absolution? One of which is literally just going into a shop and getting your suit back?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Veotax posted:

It's a cupboard with an SMG and shotgun, also a window that gets you on the roof of the train in that section which I guess lets you skip a car or two
It doesn't let you skip anything, so I guess the draw is just the weapons.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is the train worse than the filler levels in Absolution? One of which is literally just going into a shop and getting your suit back?

It was a cool level in a cinematic sense, but it's a letdown for a finale. Would work better in a different game.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah it's an okay railroaded setpiece to end a trilogy about sandboxes. I have appreciation for it but the whole design is just way out of place and has less replay value compared to the minilevel tutorials we had in the first 2 games.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lollerich posted:

Thanks, but that didn't work. ;(

Same, total horseshit

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

nexus6 posted:

In Dubai is it possible to do the Conserving Ammo (kill both targets with a single sniper shot) with a silenced rifle? I tried with the Ghost but either I missed or it only goes through one guy.

Also, what the deal with locked exits? Are they mastery unlocks?

I used an unsilenced piercing rifle and didn't attract any attention afterwards. I think the shutters are essentially soundproof.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's a neat idea in a vacuum and was fun to play through once. Probably won't happen, but if they made a different objectives/targets out of it (like, kill the Commando Leader in the middle or something), it could have SOME reply value. It's a shame because I would love a Hitman take on Murder on the Orient Express.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Having more trouble with challenges on the bonus levels, this time A House Built On Sand (Marrakech night). Had two of the assassination challenges fail to register even though one ( the shisha cafe pool electrocution) is a cinematic event that the game could not possibly fail to know had happened correctly. I previously had trouble with challenges on Landslide. Is this likely to be related to the server issues or bugs strictly related to these deaths/levels? If it's the latter I assume that work on these particular missions is a very low priority for ioi.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
A guy just walked through a wall to spot me, which I don't think has ever happened before lol

KillHour posted:

It was a cool level in a cinematic sense, but it's a letdown for a finale. Would work better in a different game.

edit: for real though, why is kitty pryde's accountant on this train

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 24, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Been slowly going through the old levels in VR. Dang but it feels worse to poison De Santis in first person :smith:

Then I remember she was helping to engineer a plague, but y'know

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Was partway into Mendoza when I was once again magically disconnected permanently with "Failed to fetch configuration." What a loving shitshow, and I bet they're not even working at all on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mary had a little clam posted:

It's a neat idea in a vacuum and was fun to play through once. Probably won't happen, but if they made a different objectives/targets out of it (like, kill the Commando Leader in the middle or something), it could have SOME reply value. It's a shame because I would love a Hitman take on Murder on the Orient Express.

Yeah, precisely. Or go further and murder on Snowpiercer. But then that'd be a big full level.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ending spoilers. Anyone else feel that the ending was bizarrely more like a sequel set-up than a real ending? The seemingly canon way you kill the Constant - injecting him with the serum - felt like an obvious double bluff. The serum being something harmless and the Constant banking on 47 going for the ironic revenge. The final cutscene was also a clear signpost of 47 continuing to be an assassin, despite the destruction of Providence's power. None of it felt like the definitive end to a trilogy.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Flayer posted:

Ending spoilers. Anyone else feel that the ending was bizarrely more like a sequel set-up than a real ending? The seemingly canon way you kill the Constant - injecting him with the serum - felt like an obvious double bluff. The serum being something harmless and the Constant banking on 47 going for the ironic revenge. The final cutscene was also a clear signpost of 47 continuing to be an assassin, despite the destruction of Providence's power. None of it felt like the definitive end to a trilogy.

If you get the secret(?) ending, it's clear the serum is real! But I agree, it seems like they left it open for Hitman 4. Or just, kind of a "And they went on to have more more adventures together!" thing I guess.

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
Just booted up the game for the first time and it runs OK on Dubai. When I get to the staff area though, the game just crashes to desktop without fail. Anyone else run into this and found a solution? Really seems like IOI don't want people to play this game :shrug:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
There is in fact a SASO challenge for the train. Looking forward to seeing that run, because the train is some real bullshit.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

DalaranJ posted:

There is in fact a SASO challenge for the train. Looking forward to seeing that run, because the train is some real bullshit.

The SASO run is, in fact, some real bullshit.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the final level would have been better if it was a compound or something with different rooms rather than a bunch of train cabins

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Like, say, an asylum with a cloning facility?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Getting SASO on Embrace of the Serpent really underlines what an awful mission it is. You're confined to a small corner of the map (a map which I've previously defended as being underrated), and basically the name of the game seems to be "take guys out one by one and hide them in the grass", which is not inherently bad but there are so many guards that it wears out its welcome. The target even points out the ridiculousness of trying to catch a rare animal with so many goons wandering around! Shame, because I think the jungle has potential otherwise.

The main Colombia mission is refreshingly quite simple to SASO though.

Mumbai is next, which I'm not really looking forward to.

EDIT:

Discendo Vox posted:

Like, say, an asylum with a cloning facility?

I never played C47 so now I'm getting horrible flashbacks to the horrible opening level of Contracts. :cripes:

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 24, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Believe it or not, it's not actually that hard if you look around. The only really bullshit part was the last 2 cars with the people in suits. The only challenge I didn't do was the knock 3 guards out with cans because I'll be damned if I'm going to scour that entire train for soda.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Another reason why Hokkaido was a better final mission. There was plenty of Soders there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Another reason why Hokkaido was a better final mission. There was plenty of Soders there.

You absolute monster. Reported.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The train mission wasn't great, would be great in a bond game (that I'm pretty confident will be great now). H3 only has 5 true levels compared to the others games' 6.

On the other hand I don't care, I love this series and I'm just so happy we got to get 3 beautiful perfect games that played out this way. I was in love with Hitman1 already and thought it was perfect, I'm appreciative that we got 2 more of them after looking like the studio would go bust. I'm just so glad we got to have the Hitman fun we did.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

it might just be the best Hitman level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

piratepilates posted:

The train mission wasn't great, would be great in a bond game (that I'm pretty confident will be great now). H3 only has 5 true levels compared to the others games' 6.

On the other hand I don't care, I love this series and I'm just so happy we got to get 3 beautiful perfect games that played out this way. I was in love with Hitman1 already and thought it was perfect, I'm appreciative that we got 2 more of them after looking like the studio would go bust. I'm just so glad we got to have the Hitman fun we did.

I agree that we got a really good game. I was just hoping for Hokkaido II.