Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

While I don't think it's what you're after, that is the curse/resolution at the end of the Pirates of the Caribbean series.

Thanks! It's a bit too recent though, remember seeing that scene right about the time Brisco County Junior ran on tv :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MachineryNoise posted:

Maybe an ad for Stepmonster? Here's a similar shot from the movie itself (should start at 1:01:44)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njKG0m1MPFg&t=3704s

No I don't believe it was Stepmonster. I don't think it had a comedic tone.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

General Venereal posted:

I'm trying to figure out this probably 80 's early 90' s movie. There might be a small chance it was an episode in a tv-series as well, but the gist is that it' s about a pirate(s) who can only set foot on land for a limited amount of time. If the pirate(s) don' t meet the time constraints they get dragged to hell or the underworld by these shadow creatures. They would like just accumulate/appear and then drag em into the ground.

Any ideas?
Multi-part AYAOTD? episode "The Tale of Cutter's Treasure"?

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Thanks a bunch - the pirate in question was African-American, but he was a whole bunch slimmer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

General Venereal posted:

Thanks a bunch - the pirate in question was African-American, but he was a whole bunch slimmer.

"The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage"?

In the TV pilot movie he was played by Stoney Jackson, when it went to series, he was replaced with Steven Williams

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm trying to remember the name of 2 war movies I saw when I was a kid.

First on I'm not sure if it was set in ww2 or Vietnam. The scene I remember the most was a platoon walking thru a field and one of them steps on a land mine so they all start crawling thru the field using their knives to feel for any other mines. I e if the soldiers finds one and I think marks it with a stick so the others can crawl around it.

2nd one I'm positive was set in Vietnam and involved the soldiers on top of a waterfall and coming across th enemy that is below them. They end up throwing a heap of grenades down on the enemy below.

Any ideas? Both would be from the 80s/90s.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

First on I'm not sure if it was set in ww2 or Vietnam. The scene I remember the most was a platoon walking thru a field and one of them steps on a land mine so they all start crawling thru the field using their knives to feel for any other mines. I e if the soldiers finds one and I think marks it with a stick so the others can crawl around it.

Kelly's Heroes has a mine field scene exactly like that.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hannibal Rex posted:

Kelly's Heroes has a mine field scene exactly like that.

I've seen Kelly's Heroes so that would most likely be it. Thanks :)

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Movie from the....90s? I think it's a comedy

scene is a bunch of cops show up to a thing and two cops point guns (rifles?) at each other while getting in standoff position

very Pink Panther vibe (for the scene anyway) but i dont think it was that

This MIGHT happen in Super Troopers since it's about two rival police forces.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

I feel like I watched this movie on early streaming netflix...so late 2000s? I don't remember much but it was an action/sci fi movie, and it was also pretty low budget. I think it was in english, but it may have been dubbed over. I seem to recall it was set in present day for the most part, and it had something to do with like 2 sides fighting against each other I think, and they weren't quite in the normal realm? Like when someone would get thrown through a table it would fix itself back together right after. I think a lot of them had cosplay looking costumes/weapons but its been so long. I don't remember much, except being surprised by a low budget flick on a streaming site that at the time didn't really have poo poo worth watching besides tv shows from other networks.

I know its not much to go on, and hell this may just be a fever dream. I've tried googling and looking through the list of sci fi movies on wikipedia for early 2000s.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Iakona posted:

I feel like I watched this movie on early streaming netflix...so late 2000s? I don't remember much but it was an action/sci fi movie, and it was also pretty low budget. I think it was in english, but it may have been dubbed over. I seem to recall it was set in present day for the most part, and it had something to do with like 2 sides fighting against each other I think, and they weren't quite in the normal realm? Like when someone would get thrown through a table it would fix itself back together right after. I think a lot of them had cosplay looking costumes/weapons but its been so long. I don't remember much, except being surprised by a low budget flick on a streaming site that at the time didn't really have poo poo worth watching besides tv shows from other networks.

I know its not much to go on, and hell this may just be a fever dream. I've tried googling and looking through the list of sci fi movies on wikipedia for early 2000s.
Nightwatch maybe?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Here's a film I saw in about 1990 as a rental.

I can only remember part of one scene.

Teenage-ish boy and girl are somewhere, perhaps a cave. She's trying to tell him that something is an illusion and you can see a brick wall with gold or colored bricks appear and vanish, like it was all in his mind. I seem to remember a castle illusion as well or some sort of fancy background.

Seeing Nightwatch in the post above reminded me of it because Night Train is sticking with me as a title. There is a 1988 Disney TV movie "Night Train to Kathmandu" that seems right on the surface. However, it's been uploaded to YouTube and skimming through it, I don't see any scenes that match those I remembering. There is a cave scene, but no bricks. (Also, would you have been able to rent Disney TV movies?)

I don't know if I'm just missing it in this movie or if the wrong title's been in my head all these years.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Nightwatch maybe?

Thanks, but it was actually Ink(2009). I found it by googling indie sci fi and just looking through a couple lists. Though I remember seeing the trailer for Night Watch back in the day and being reminded of Ink.
As soon as I saw the guy with tape over his eyes I was reminded of how silly this movie was. Dunno if I'll rewatch it, but at least I know it actually existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5I1SavGyA

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Iakona posted:

Thanks, but it was actually Ink(2009). I found it by googling indie sci fi and just looking through a couple lists. Though I remember seeing the trailer for Night Watch back in the day and being reminded of Ink.
As soon as I saw the guy with tape over his eyes I was reminded of how silly this movie was. Dunno if I'll rewatch it, but at least I know it actually existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5I1SavGyA
I actually watched that again recently. It's got a lot of heart, but the lack of budget has made it age somewhat poorly.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Crossposting from another thread as I forgot about this thread.

We have a client at work called Pierre, and everytime somebody says his name I get an auditory flashback to somebody in a cartoon saying Pierre Pierre. I think it was a character's name in something from the 80s or 90s

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This part reminds me of "My Little Eye", but the rest of it doesn't quite match.

This is it! Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Finnish Flasher posted:

This is it! Thanks!

One standout aspect of this film is that it was made in eastern Canada. There's a deleted scene that has a shot from inside a fridge, and it shows a McCain's juice box pretty prominently.

The movie was unremarkable for me, outside of that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The new Hitman game has a scene where (spoilered in case anyone cares about videogame plots for some reason :v:) someone cornered by villains commits suicide to prevent the protagonist from giving his life in a futile rescue attempt and I've been racking my brain to try and work out where they stole it from.

The closest I can get is Blown Away but I'm sure whatever I'm thinking of was specifically an unwinnable fight rather than an undefusable bomb.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Deep blue sea

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm sure I've seen that but I'm not sure what scene you're thinking of?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There was a suicide fake out in the first Resident Evil movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Steven Seagal's character in Executive Decision?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I figured it was probably going to be a long list lol, don't think it's any of these so far but I'm wondering now if there's a tv tropes page or something I can trawl through :v:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Star Trek: Nemesis?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I figured it was probably going to be a long list lol, don't think it's any of these so far but I'm wondering now if there's a tv tropes page or something I can trawl through :v:

You already know the answer to this.

I'll give tireless nerds credit... when anyone else has some sort of question about some random thing, someone somewhere has an exhaustive list of stuff just like it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pilchenstein posted:

Maybe the Better to die than be killed could be a good start

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is it when Darth Vader tosses the Emperor down the shaft?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

lol

From looking at tv tropes (which honestly reads like I'm having a stroke at times :v:), I discovered that Tim Robbins does more or less the exact thing I'm thinking of (kills himself to stop his wife from attempting a futile rescue) in Mission to Mars but I've not seen that. I'm doubting myself that it might've involved a fight now but it's definitely someone killing themselves to deter a rescue of some kind.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Pilchenstein posted:

lol

From looking at tv tropes (which honestly reads like I'm having a stroke at times :v:), I discovered that Tim Robbins does more or less the exact thing I'm thinking of (kills himself to stop his wife from attempting a futile rescue) in Mission to Mars but I've not seen that. I'm doubting myself that it might've involved a fight now but it's definitely someone killing themselves to deter a rescue of some kind.

Vertical Limit: 1 time a dude cuts his climbing rope rather than let someone risk rescuing him the other time a dude cuts the climbing rope to send one dude to his death rather than all of them to their death

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A better Star Wars example would be Obi Wan letting Vader strike him down so that Luke would immediately leave the Death Star instead of running over to try and help

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a movie about a guy who travels to a US state looking for a dude who disappeared down there years earlier. The local authorities try to sabotage him because they were complicit in killing the dude or lynching or something. In the end, the main character defeats the bad guys by figuring out that they have been stealing his mail, which makes it a federal matter!

Also, it turns out the the guy was just there to hand over a medal to the missing dudes family, because he was a war hero or something, and if the bad guys hadn't freaked out and assumed he was out to get them, they would probably have been fine.

Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

Edit: This was an old movie.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 24, 2021

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Reindeer Games? Didn't it have a silly twist at the end?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SimonChris posted:

I am looking for a movie about a guy who travels to a US state looking for a dude who disappeared down there years earlier. The local authorities try to sabotage him because they were complicit in killing the dude or lynching or something. In the end, the main character defeats the bad guys by figuring out that they have been stealing his mail, which makes it a federal matter!

It's not it but when I was searching I found out that there's a movie about postal inspectors starring Louis Gossett Jr. And it has a sequel with Michael Madsen! It doesn't sound like your movie but I know what I need to see right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ULqSeX2iQE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Also, it turns out the the guy was just there to hand over a medal to the missing dudes family, because he was a war hero or something, and if the bad guys hadn't freaked out and assumed he was out to get them, they would probably have been fine.

It's not exactly like it but The Knockaraound Guys hits some of those marks.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

Btw, this was an old movie, 70's at the latest, I think.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Mississippi Burning?

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

SimonChris posted:

Bad Day at Black Rock.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

Bad Day at Black Rock.

Yes! Thank you! I remembered it as a "red rock" and couldn't find anything under that title.

Turns out the federal issue concerned a telegram and not a letter.

Bad Day at Black Rock posted:

MACREEDY
(evenly, to Smith)
I think that's for me.
(he takes the message
from Smith's hand
and quickly glances
at it. Looking up at
Hastings)
Where's the answer?

Hastings is silent. A brittle expression of bemusement crosses
Smith's features.

SMITH
You expect an answer -- to a wire
that's never sent?

Macreedy's mouth compresses in a harsh grin.

SMITH
What's so funny?

MACREEDY
Nothing. Just a thought --
(his eyes turn to
Hastings. Hastings
wilts)
-- a thought dazzling in its purity...

Macreedy takes a step toward Hastings. The telegraph agent
bounces away.

MACREEDY
(slowly)
You're in a jam, Hastings. You gave
my telegram to Smith.

DOC
(excitedly)
You warty wretch! That's a federal
offense!

MACREEDY
(to Smith)
You're in deep, too.
(grins hard)
Like I said, it's getting tougher
and tougher.
(to Tim)
Sheriff, you'd better do something
about this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
now im curious, does he just get feds to arerest them? it sounds so dumb and anticlimactic, like Monty Python and the Holy Grail or...how they got Al Capone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

now im curious, does he just get feds to arerest them? it sounds so dumb and anticlimactic, like Monty Python and the Holy Grail or...how they got Al Capone

Things don't go that smoothly. There are some fighting/action sequences before some are eventually arrested.