Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
8-? Space Ghosts, Coast to Coast - 06P-RLX-8KG

Finished this one up tonight. It probably could have used a little more polish here or there but I wanted OMT to play it on his stream, I finished it about 5 minutes before he closed the queue. The level concept came out of the name popping into my head, but I tried to balance out the advantage you get from the low gravity with throwing some huge piles of ghosts at you.

The ? is because in world 8 you can pick from any of the four levels in any order but you don't know which one has the secret path that leads to the final castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

8-? Space Ghosts, Coast to Coast - 06P-RLX-8KG

Finished this one up tonight. It probably could have used a little more polish here or there but I wanted OMT to play it on his stream, I finished it about 5 minutes before he closed the queue. The level concept came out of the name popping into my head, but I tried to balance out the advantage you get from the low gravity with throwing some huge piles of ghosts at you.

The ? is because in world 8 you can pick from any of the four levels in any order but you don't know which one has the secret path that leads to the final castle.

Nice level! I have no idea how you're supposed to get that second powerup without getting hit--and I noticed it happened to OMT as well (although if you hit the ? block before the boo ring hits you, you still get the second level).

Me, You, & Potoboo
GFY-F94-YPG
This level was a personal challenge to make a vanilla level in one day (most levels I work on for multiple hours across multiple days) using only two enemy types (...ignoring the boss arena). It should be easy enough to be my world 2 castle replacement.

I'll admit: the pacing is odd. The first part can be very easily sped run (a hold right simulator with a pause here or there to avoid damage), while the second half is slightly more technical (a short swimming section, then a "boss fight").

------

A few levels I've made but never posted for various reasons:

Larry's Lava Launcher Lair (October)
A few tough, tightly timed jumps, a boss fight, and 2 CPs.
YTK-4P6-MWF

Magikoopa's Airship (March)
It's teambuilding day for the crew. Play dumb mini-games with their stuff.
9CC-M6M-XRG

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Prowler posted:

Nice level! I have no idea how you're supposed to get that second powerup without getting hit--and I noticed it happened to OMT as well (although if you hit the ? block before the boo ring hits you, you still get the second level).

That's definitely one of the rough edges I was talking about. I should have adjusted that one a bit more. Thanks for playing!

quote:

Me, You, & Potoboo
GFY-F94-YPG

Liked this a lot. The pacing is different as you said but I don't really think it's a problem. There's three distinct phases but they fit together nicely.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Happy Holidays!!!

Here are a couple levels I've worked on over Christmas:

Dreams of Deep Waters

A short romp through one of the newer Mario-universes. You just keep on sinking and then the level is over.

Difficulty Level: Staypuft-Marshmellow Man
ID: 65K-N1T-RDF

Tomato Juice Fortress

A fortress slowly filling with tomato juice. Be careful, it's hot! Back to classic SMW-style, lots of platforms, spikes and red juice. Only hard if you start panicking!

Difficulty Level: Chufty
ID: BR5-N82-BBG

I hope my presents bring you some fun!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Man, gonna have a lot of levels to play when I get back into town!

Oh speaking of, I have a new level myself:

Spikey Hustle
LTV-9TN-YMF

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Libluini posted:

Happy Holidays!!!

Here are a couple levels I've worked on over Christmas:

Dreams of Deep Waters

A short romp through one of the newer Mario-universes. You just keep on sinking and then the level is over.

Difficulty Level: Staypuft-Marshmellow Man
ID: 65K-N1T-RDF

Tomato Juice Fortress

A fortress slowly filling with tomato juice. Be careful, it's hot! Back to classic SMW-style, lots of platforms, spikes and red juice. Only hard if you start panicking!

Difficulty Level: Chufty
ID: BR5-N82-BBG

I hope my presents bring you some fun!

These are nice, short levels. I'm not sure I agree about the placement of the very first blooper--nearly gave me a heart attack!

OneMoreTime posted:

Spikey Hustle
LTV-9TN-YMF

Great idea! I destroyed the clear rate, sorry. I died in insanely stupid ways that normal humans should not--it isn't that hard!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, when OMT played Ants, Plants, and Pokey Bees, he initially thought that there were two separate paths to the goal, depending on whether he took the high or the low road. I actually had considered that, and tried to design a course that has two similarly-paced and equally-difficult sub worlds for the second half of the level. I wanted to make a "hold right to win" in the style of some of my older levels, mixed with a "jump up to win" that could also be obsessively optimized.

Toadstool Tundra Trek
JGR-VYY-24G
Two trails trace the treacherous Toadstool Tundra. 2 unique paths to exit.

Edit: I recommend this one for the stream.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 29, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OneMoreTime posted:

Spikey Hustle
LTV-9TN-YMF

That's a nice idea. I somehow managed to trap myself at the end? by trying to be cheeky with the last? switch. I guess after dying 30x in a row because of being too slow I got too impatient! :v:

But I'll definitely try this level again sometime, it's just close enough to my capability level that I'm tempted to bash my head against it until I win

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

OneMoreTime posted:

Spikey Hustle
LTV-9TN-YMF

I was more or less able to one-shot the first and third sections but I died on the second section more times than I want to admit. Mostly trying to speed through the two flying koopas and maintain momentum. and then it turns out you dont need to speed through that section, the spiny doesn't despawn

Prowler
May 24, 2004

New Ninji went up last night around 6PM! It's an odd one, and particularly bad for me to get a good time in...

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Libluini posted:

That's a nice idea. I somehow managed to trap myself at the end? by trying to be cheeky with the last? switch. I guess after dying 30x in a row because of being too slow I got too impatient! :v:

But I'll definitely try this level again sometime, it's just close enough to my capability level that I'm tempted to bash my head against it until I win

Ha, how’d you manage that? Was it outspeeding the shell or something?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OneMoreTime posted:

Ha, how’d you manage that? Was it outspeeding the shell or something?

The first time I got so far I saw that the shell was needed to break through another wall, but got there too late to get to the switch before the shell arrived and blocked my way.

The second time I thought I could outsmart the level by using the last switch before that one twice, so the barrier wouldn't be there and the shell would be able to break through without me actually being there.

But then instead the shell got bored waiting for my lame rear end and had despawned when I arrived. But without the shell to break the wall, Mario suddenly was trapped inside the little switch-room. :v:

Though, if there is anything beyond that last wall, I'd have hosed myself over anyway.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

And with this, I have finished my fourth world! I have refreshed my Super World with all my vanilla levels. No idea what the code is, since I cannot seem to recall it after uploading. Oh well.

I finished a level I had stuck about 25% of the way done. Another NSMB ice level:

Dashing through the Snow
358-3T6-NPF
Snow spikes? Snow problems. Take a hike through a vanilla snow level. 1 CP.

This is a fairly standard "hold right to win" level with a hidden pipe shortcut. What's baffling to me is the fact that the first person to play this level not only one-shot it, but beat my clear time by 300 milliseconds. I didn't exactly fully speed run the clear, but I didn't, by any means, take my time.

One of these days, I'd love one of my levels to hit 500 unique plays.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Libluini posted:

The first time I got so far I saw that the shell was needed to break through another wall, but got there too late to get to the switch before the shell arrived and blocked my way.

The second time I thought I could outsmart the level by using the last switch before that one twice, so the barrier wouldn't be there and the shell would be able to break through without me actually being there.

But then instead the shell got bored waiting for my lame rear end and had despawned when I arrived. But without the shell to break the wall, Mario suddenly was trapped inside the little switch-room. :v:

Though, if there is anything beyond that last wall, I'd have hosed myself over anyway.

Haha, nice! I didn't think anyone would try that!

Oh, and it's a new level by the way!

Simple Series: Flying
902-VH0-9JF

So this is a level built around flying, since people tend to avoid making those kind of levels (probably for a reason! Let's find out!). The pipe leads to a harder, quicker path that takes advantage of a weird exploit present in the game. When flying, if you bounce off of an enemy your p-speed timer resets, so you need to do that in order to beat that path. The area before the door is a training ground to get the hang of it.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

OneMoreTime posted:

Haha, nice! I didn't think anyone would try that!

Oh, and it's a new level by the way!

Simple Series: Flying
902-VH0-9JF

So this is a level built around flying, since people tend to avoid making those kind of levels (probably for a reason! Let's find out!). The pipe leads to a harder, quicker path that takes advantage of a weird exploit present in the game. When flying, if you bounce off of an enemy your p-speed timer resets, so you need to do that in order to beat that path. The area before the door is a training ground to get the hang of it.

I'm terrible at flying, both cape and tanuki. Is this a level I can try to grind out and figure out how to fly along the way (and tank the clear rate probably), or do I need to be decent going in to really have a chance?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

May Contain Nuts posted:

I'm terrible at flying, both cape and tanuki. Is this a level I can try to grind out and figure out how to fly along the way (and tank the clear rate probably), or do I need to be decent going in to really have a chance?

It's not too difficult in my opinion and you should be able to grind out, I did my best to make it as not-blind as possible (with one exception past the checkpoint). The hard section was tuned to be a bit easier for people not familiar with flying or the oversight(?0) I use to make that section work.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Future edit: level no longer available.

So, this is a three part level that is mostly just bouncing on koopa troopas. The jumps are not too tight this time around, and I only included 3 shell kicks!

Edit: Oh, and a very short SMB2 section, as usual during the last part. But this time it actually requires more than just jumping!

Edit 2: Oh god I said "3CP" in the description I'm an idiot.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 24, 2021

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I am hitting a major creative block. I know what I want the theme/gimmick to be for my next level but I can't find a way to make it not boring or super easy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I am hitting a major creative block. I know what I want the theme/gimmick to be for my next level but I can't find a way to make it not boring or super easy.

Without knowing what the theme is, would it be possible to add some time pressure to it to up the difficulty? A stack of boos moving across the screen that the player has to outrun? A switch/p-switch mechanism getting activated if the player spends too long in a room that blocks the exit and forces a suicide/reset door usage?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

If the gimmick is entertaining enough and fun, then, in my opinion, it shouldn't matter if it's too easy.

If it's because the gimmick itself is rather limited and hard to make a full course out of it, maybe make it a themed course with the creative variations of the gimmick spread throughout it?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Me, You, & Potoboo
By: Prowler GFY-F94-YPG

2. Dreams of Deep Waters
By: Libluini 65K-N1T-RDF

3. Underground Wall Jumps
By: A Dangerous Klutz SXV-PWP-5KG

4. Toy Block Tower
By: Sharkynub Y8H-RJP-JHF

5. Snowy Speedrun fro Everyone
By: The Real Amy MH3-VSR-5SF

6. Invasion of Rotten Mushrooms
By: Livid Wealth R97-XYD-5SF

7. Jo64's level
PG0-P6S-V2G

8. Poisonous Flower
By: Ant-Onion F0K-QW1-PTF

9. BoleslawChrobry's level
1D2-886-B0H

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm sure the thread has known this, but the only way to view the difficulty of your own level is to have someone else download it and then view it in Course Bot:

This is...dumb. I'm not about to make another account to view my level's difficulty, damnit!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 10, 2021

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Prowler posted:

I'm sure the thread has known this, but the only way to view the difficulty of your own level is to have someone else download it and then view it in Course Bot:

This is...dumb. I'm not about to make another account to view my level's difficulty, damnit!

Wait what!? I didn't know you could even view the difficulty in the first place!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

OneMoreTime posted:

Wait what!? I didn't know you could even view the difficulty in the first place!

Yup. Just head to someone's profile, select download, then view the level details through Course bot under the Downloaded Courses tab.

Of course, I have an ask for anyone in this thread: could you download the following levels and let me know what difficulty they fall under? I have some theories I'd like to confirm. The first level is the one I am most curious about, the rest would be bonus. I would be happy to return the favor for anyone else who is curious.

Maker Profile ID: 91D-1N9-XMG

1. Koopa Troopa Nights
Code: YDG-46N-BTF

2. Plumber's Plant Panic
Code: V2D-NJ2-FRF

3. Mush Top Rush 2 the Sky
Code: KB6-XKP-J9G

4. Iggy's Cargo Airship Heist
Code: MLV-KR8-20G

5. Pocket Full of Shells
Code: DG2-MW3-8FG

6. Super Spike Bounce Ball
Code: JYX-BF2-Y2G

Relatedly: it would be nice if the scripts out there that can scrape the level name based on level code could pull that data, as well, But that's a different set of actions that might not be feasible.

(Number 1 has 187 single player plays and 154 multiplayer plays, the latter which is 10x as many as my other levels combined. My guesses: 1. Normal 2. Normal 3. Normal 4. Normal 5. Super Expert, 6. Expert).

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Prowler posted:

Yup. Just head to someone's profile, select download, then view the level details through Course bot under the Downloaded Courses tab.

Of course, I have an ask for anyone in this thread: could you download the following levels and let me know what difficulty they fall under? I have some theories I'd like to confirm. The first level is the one I am most curious about, the rest would be bonus. I would be happy to return the favor for anyone else who is curious.

Maker Profile ID: 91D-1N9-XMG

1. Koopa Troopa Nights
Code: YDG-46N-BTF

2. Plumber's Plant Panic
Code: V2D-NJ2-FRF

3. Mush Top Rush 2 the Sky
Code: KB6-XKP-J9G

4. Iggy's Cargo Airship Heist
Code: MLV-KR8-20G

5. Pocket Full of Shells
Code: DG2-MW3-8FG

6. Super Spike Bounce Ball
Code: JYX-BF2-Y2G

Relatedly: it would be nice if the scripts out there that can scrape the level name based on level code could pull that data, as well, But that's a different set of actions that might not be feasible.

(Number 1 has 187 single player plays and 154 multiplayer plays, the latter which is 10x as many as my other levels combined. My guesses: 1. Normal 2. Normal 3. Normal 4. Normal 5. Super Expert, 6. Expert).

Super Spike Bounce Ball is normal. All your other guesses were correct.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

J-Spot posted:

Super Spike Bounce Ball is normal. All your other guesses were correct.

Thank you for checking, J-Spot! This is informative! The thresholds are much wider than I expected!

For reference, because I love data:

1. Koopa Troopa Nights (Normal)
Plays: 188
Clear rate: 8.43% (77/913)

2. Plumber's Plant Panic (Normal)
Plays: 277
Clear rate: 15.45% (138/893)

3. Mush Top Rush 2 the Sky (Normal)
Plays: 293
Clear rate: 21.03% (191/908)

4. Iggy's Cargo Airship Heist (Normal)
Plays: 108
Clear rate: 12.8% (53/414)

5. Pocket Full of Shells (Super Expert)
Plays: 49
Clear rate: 1.18% (5/421)

6. Super Spike Bounce Ball (Normal)
Plays: 168
Clear rate: 7.49% (46/614)

I'm looking at all other data, and I cannot seem to find any specific reasoning why Koopa Troopa Nights has so many multiplayer plays. Maybe just a minimum number of internally tracked points based on likes, boos, plays, etc. Looking at these numbers, I would expect 1 and 6 to be considered expert, when compared to those below.

Edit: You didn't ask, but:

Squirrels Gone Wild: Expert (5.32%)
Who Stole My Goal: Normal (30.61%)
Sky High Jinks: Expert (10.48%)

Edit 3: Nice level names.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 12, 2021

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST.

1. Tomato Juice Fortress
By: Libluini BR5-N82-BBG

2. Toadstool Tundra Trek
By: Prowler JGR-VYY-24G

3. Mushroom Hills 3
By: Molt24 56G-449-JMG

4. Supplies Delivery
By: Joshisepic2222 H95-S4V-QLG

5. Castle Spike
By: 127 Crazie FNB-J1R-TDF

6. Malario Mansion
By: Malario30 PDF-X81-YFG

7. Blinking Block Galaxy
By: MetaKnight PS5-7RX-WSG

8. RedNinja's Level
By: Redninja W56-RDK-9XF

I'l probably grab one or two more levels, but that's what I got for now!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And hey, we're live!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Since one of my multiplayer levels stopped receiving plays a couple of months after it was released, I decided to delete it and repurpose it as a "time trial" level. It is a level that you can beat like most vanilla levels (hold right to win, basically), except, each powerup section has a choice between the cat suit or boomerang, and there are a lot of powerups. If you play the level normally, there should be ample powerups to see you through the hammer bros. If you rush through the level, you'll likely avoid confronting them altogether.

Clear check time is 47 seconds. Current world record is a speedy 7 minutes and 41 seconds (1/24 clears). For the love of god, please help me get to clear rate at least up to 25% where it belongs.

Koopa Khaos: Time Trial
9NB-P7M-LCG
Built for rad dashes to the goal. Go for speed, or battle the bros.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seeing OneMoreTime playing my dumb levels motivated me to move forward with my world-building project. I finished the next two levels of World 1 in one go, and can now move on towards World 2!

(Ironically, the main reason I got stuck was that I couldn't actually finish the second level I made for World 1. After tweaking stuff a bit and dying a bazillion times, I managed to upload it today. Only a couple months late. :suicide: )

Too bad I can't show off my super-world yet, because I am a dumb and started building World 2 already, and having an unfinished world hanging there prevents uploading.

The levels I put into World 1: Launch Mountain are:

Launch Mountain 01: JN7-KSJ-VFG (Easy, old)

Sweetest Dreams, Mario: 8S9-G9H-FHG (Medium, old, bonus level)

Launch Mountain 02: HFW-8R2-NDF (Medium, new)

Launch Mountain Fortress: 94Q-7WH-0YG (Easy, new, boss)

Edit:

World 2 will be called Atmos Fear, since now you're going on a wild ride towards ~space~ :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, I spend some time this Sunday to add another level:

Atmos Fear 01: Barrier Station

Difficulty: Panic attack

Auto-scroller. Try to think fast!

ID: WRK-6TS-62H

And after that, I threw a random fortress level into my second world to make the super-world uploadable. So it can be test played now!

If I understand how this works right, my own maker ID MNJ-N28-3TG should allow you to play this loving mess of horrid levels! Have fun!!!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

1. Koopa Khaos: Time Trial
By: Prowler 9NB-P7M-LCG

2. Atmos Fear 01: Barrier Station
By: Libluini WRK-6TS-62H

3. Jump and Shoot
By: DarkOmenXP 3PL-240-NWF

4. Teeter-Totter Toil
By: Zerorion KVC-598-YKG

5. Wrath of Yoshi
By: Kexy Alexy 77X-K70-3VF

6. Mario Robs the sky
By: Memescular YJ3-KKC-39G

7. Evergreen tree tower
By: Disastrous Phrase F81-D3T-3YG

8. Spikey's Cave
By: Going Braindead N24-4H8-MMG

9. Storm Cloud Sorrows
By: Foxymoron HPK-MLP-KRG

10. Mini-Screen File: Wario's Gambit
By: Emojiyourpost 10N-408-WYG

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see one of my levels made the list!

Oh, and the switch you were asking about in the stream opens the way forward. If you don't use the switch, your way is blocked by those three rows of red blocks you were passing through. :v:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I finally figured out what to do with my level, and when I went to upload it I started from the checkpoint with none of the red coins that are before the checkpoint and no way to backtrack. :v:

Are "Dev keys" a thing?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I finally figured out what to do with my level, and when I went to upload it I started from the checkpoint with none of the red coins that are before the checkpoint and no way to backtrack. :v:

Are "Dev keys" a thing?

Only in so far that you can make a secret backdoor to avoid getting stuck, but that always comes with the "risk" of the player stumbling over your hidden path and cheesing the level.

Edit:

But I feel for you. Even with knowing exactly where everything is and how everything works, some of my levels got very close to my ability level and one I almost couldn't upload because I was just too bad at playing Mario. :v:

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Are "Dev keys" a thing?

They definitely are, I'm building a level right now that will have one. It's a red coin level with recycled checkpoints where you do frame perfect jumps to get the coins. I hit the individual jumps about 5% of the time, so it's going to be impractical to beat it three times for the clear check.

Your situation sounds different. Is it possible for the player to reach the CP without collecting some of the coins? In that case the player would be stuck there same as you, unless to proceed through the level the player is forced to pass through a single block gap containing the coin. But in that case what is the point of the coin anyway.

If the level cannot be completed from the CP without finding the dev key beacuse of a missed coin or even if it is possible to go back and the player has to backtrack all the way back to the beginning of the level after getting the CP because they missed a coin then it could be very frustrating to play.

I can think of three red coin / cp interactions that I've encountered.
1. Coins and key door are either all before or all after the CP
2. Coins are optional and the key door goes to a bonus room / top of the flagpole / powerup before boss fight / skip the boss fight / etc.
3. Recyled checkpoints

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Half of the coins are before the checkpoint, but in terms of time the checkpoint isn't that far into the level; if players have to start over then it doesn't hurt too bad. The coins are also very obvious and unlikely to be missed. They just serve as a way to force the player to interact with the obstacles instead of going above or under them.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay done!

Cube Crush Cave
YJR-WT3-FTF

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Okay done!

Cube Crush Cave
YJR-WT3-FTF

I enjoyed the level but if you're going to require red coins you should always put the last one past the point where the player can die. Fortunately I didn't have a key death but it's definitely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

1. Cube Crush Cave
By: Haschel Cedricson YJR-WT3-FTF

2. Speedy Car Trip
By: Ryyi23 Y2V-V44-70G

3. 1-2 Shroomfection Tower