Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
In a roundabout way, we all work for LEGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think my landlord? rental manager? knows me as the "lego guy." (I rent from a big company, and he's just sort of the main guy on site that handles a lot of things, so he's been in my unit a few times.)

I was receiving a parcel some weeks back and had it grab it from the fedex guy at the front door, and I think the landlord called me the lego guy. Maybe it's because the fedex guy mentioned in passing what the package was, but probably because my landlord probably just saw my collection at some point. Though, I dont think he's been through at any point in this year when it really exploded....

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Probably the jorts

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That’s my secret, Cap. I’m always jorted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fappenmeister posted:

Collecting Lego again has made me remember why I've tried to cut down on buying physical items in general - lack of space and storage. Seeing some people's collections and storage/display space blows my mind.

The nice thing about Lego, if you do the adult sets, they go up in value. So it's an investment!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last time I moved, my Lego collection was probably about only a third of what it is now and it was an absolute nightmare to pack up and move. I'm lucky enough that I have this useless area right now that I can just devote to displaying Lego, but considering my income (well when I had one) I know that the next time I move it's probably going to be in much more cramped quarters, and I am prepared for having to do a mega purge someday.

Tbh I frequently think about trying to get it down to one tasteful shelf but I always chicken out, because at the end of the day well, I really like my Lego collection.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing is before I rediscovered Lego I was all about living pretty minimalist, because I really do hate clutter. Then Lego happened and there is just poo poo everywhere.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing is before I rediscovered Lego I was all about living pretty minimalist, because I really do hate clutter. Then Lego happened and there is just poo poo everywhere.

:same:

It's a bad bad hobby if you value space. And if you are insane like me (keeps things in their original boxes a lot of the time) and you have a lot of big sets...yeah. I did finally break down my modulars and put them in tubs but kept the boxes. So that was an improvement.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Thanks again to everyone who showed up tonight to watch me digitally pretend to play with toys. 1940 GMC Pickup complete!

It's not perfect and I'm pretty sure the bed could be 1 stud shorter, but that would be actually a huge undertaking at this point that I might play with off-stream. Still, I'm quite happy with it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Those lines are fantastic! Very organic, especially the front bumper, grill and stepside!

Was it a specific design or parts choice that dictated the 4x cab width vs previous projects, or just trying out new build techniques? Or is this something where you’re fairly limited by windshield options?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Those lines are fantastic! Very organic, especially the front bumper, grill and stepside!

Was it a specific design or parts choice that dictated the 4x cab width vs previous projects, or just trying out new build techniques? Or is this something where you’re fairly limited by windshield options?
Mostly in adherence to the standards of the old school Speed Champions: 4-wide cab on a 6-wide body. On past trucks, I did the whole thing in 6-wide but the need for the step and fenders to be proud of the bodywork meant it was gonna be a 4-wide cab this time.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I can't leave anything alone ever so I did go through with cutting a stud's length off the bed and yeah, that was worth it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

I can't leave anything alone ever so I did go through with cutting a stud's length off the bed and yeah, that was worth it.

muy bueno!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Carbohydrates posted:

:yosnice:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

My grandfather had a similar truck when I was little. :unsmith:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well this obviously came too late for last christmas, but I wanted to do something with it before I take it apart so my wife can enjoy building it next holiday season.
https://i.imgur.com/iV6Qi5H.mp4

Got a bunch more bootleg train tracks, and these were much nicer quality than the previous ones I ordered, so I guess quality varies pretty drastically with the knockoffs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

Well this obviously came too late for last christmas, but I wanted to do something with it before I take it apart so my wife can enjoy building it next holiday season.
https://i.imgur.com/iV6Qi5H.mp4

Got a bunch more bootleg train tracks, and these were much nicer quality than the previous ones I ordered, so I guess quality varies pretty drastically with the knockoffs.

Yeah, it can vary. There’s a whole taxonomy of companies that use GoBricks which are considered the best quality, such as Mould King, Decool, SY, Sembo, Dinggao etc. Enlighten is also great, as well as the King/Queen brands (formerly Lepin), and I usually try to stick with those, which is mostly what yourwobb carries. Bela and Leji are a step down in my experience. I usually try to stay away from Aliexpress because the sellers are real inconsistent with listing one thing and shipping another.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yeah, it can vary. There’s a whole taxonomy of companies that use GoBricks which are considered the best quality, such as Mould King, Decool, SY, Sembo, Dinggao etc. Enlighten is also great, as well as the King/Queen brands (formerly Lepin), and I usually try to stick with those, which is mostly what yourwobb carries. Bela and Leji are a step down in my experience. I usually try to stay away from Aliexpress because the sellers are real inconsistent with listing one thing and shipping another.

This is a cool source of information, managed to kill 30 mins looking at Yourwobb. Some decent (original) designs mixed up with the knock-offs, especially the neo-classic style moon buggy that I hope isn't a MOC knockoff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is the mast over Jose’s on the Barracuda Bay set supposed to lean when you clip the rigging on, or did I gently caress something up

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

This is mine if it helps

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ugh I’ve hosed up somewhere.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

fappenmeister posted:

This is a cool source of information, managed to kill 30 mins looking at Yourwobb. Some decent (original) designs mixed up with the knock-offs, especially the neo-classic style moon buggy that I hope isn't a MOC knockoff.

I have very good experience with YourWobb as long as you stick to the brands OSU_Matthew mentioned. Be prepared to get MoC-knockoffs. Mould King for example mostly does MoC knockoffs, but at least they change quite some things in the instructions that are bad in the original (though they don't catch all). I consider them the "premium" chinese brand at the moment for MoCs (overall quality - instructions, packaging, numbered bags, bricks- same as XingBao).

Mould King is also often testing the waters with "unlabeled" MoCs which you can also get from places like YourWobb. For example, I got the Nebulon B from the MoC section of YourWobb, and was intrigued as it came in numbered bags (the original instructions don't feature numbered bags). The numbering was just stickers on the bags, not printed. When I got the Mould King Nebulon B, it was exactly the same numbered bags (printed this time) with the printed (and improved upon) instructions.

Most of the time it's pretty easy to hunt down the original designer of the MoC, and if usually buy the instructions from them so they get their share.

The only sad thing about all those sets is that they can't eat.

e: speaking of XingBao...the learning curve on their designers is pretty impressive. I remember building the first modulars from them two or three years ago, and some of them had pretty bad design flaws (though overall the sets where nice, I still wish they would go for dark red rather than red), and recently built one of there recent releases and well....it's still ways off from the creativty that Lego pours into stuff like Ninjago Gardens, but they are learning quick.

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 24, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dogen posted:

Ugh I’ve hosed up somewhere.

You probably messed up from the very first step. You should completely disassemble and start over and enjoy it all again.

I know I would. ;)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Started dusting off the big sets I had out for a couple years with that Datavac. It's a good first step but nothing beats "going at them with the small brushes" as James May would say. :)

The more I clean, the more I just want to sell the lot. How do you folks price your sets, eBay and Bricklink?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Check eBay only in regard to what was recently sold...there are some absolutely obscure prices on there. Bricklink, Rebrickable are good sites to check. Theres are also a bunch of sites where you can enter the setnumbers you own (plus condition), and it calculates the daily price for them based on the most used selling platforms.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I use recently sold ones on eBay to figure out a price. On eBay it’s easier to find the ones actually similar to yours (in terms of completeness and condition). On Bricklink the numbers are skewed because so many people list sets as complete, minus minifigures, or incomplete missing a large number of parts or something like “just the side build” and there are hardly ever pictures.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

You probably messed up from the very first step. You should completely disassemble and start over and enjoy it all again.

I know I would. ;)

The answer was I didn’t press the mast together enough with my weak baby arms. That flexible axle has a lot of friction on it.

I still got the second half to build!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DrChu posted:

I use recently sold ones on eBay to figure out a price. On eBay it’s easier to find the ones actually similar to yours (in terms of completeness and condition). On Bricklink the numbers are skewed because so many people list sets as complete, minus minifigures, or incomplete missing a large number of parts or something like “just the side build” and there are hardly ever pictures.

Yeah. On BL I search by: ships to the US and US seller. You have to click a drop down to get the US seller option. It's not really obvious. The prices are always higher but it really gets rid of a lot of the noise. I don't look at closed sales because that is fairly useless as a metric when you don't know anything else other than the final number.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Dogen posted:

The answer was I didn’t press the mast together enough with my weak baby arms. That flexible axle has a lot of friction on it.

I still got the second half to build!

That axle was a right pain in the arse. It felt like you were going to snap it. Glad to see you've sorted it out though, enjoy!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
On the series 21 blind bags, are there any differentiating UPCs on the bags for each fig, or is feel the only way to figure it out? Just got so burned on buying so many of the same pirate figure in the last series I was wondering what the best avenue to get the set without messing around with the surprise aspect is. I know Mega has unique codes on their bags which makes picking up all their blind bags a lot easier.

Is my best bet just to buy the series as a lot? Would this bricklink 71029-2 set contain everything or just a box of 12 random figs?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

fappenmeister posted:

That axle was a right pain in the arse. It felt like you were going to snap it. Glad to see you've sorted it out though, enjoy!

I did! And it looks cool as hell with the tattered ebay sails, while the real sails sleep soundly tucked in the instruction book.

Now to find a place to put the drat thing...

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

OSU_Matthew posted:

On the series 21 blind bags, are there any differentiating UPCs on the bags for each fig, or is feel the only way to figure it out? Just got so burned on buying so many of the same pirate figure in the last series I was wondering what the best avenue to get the set without messing around with the surprise aspect is. I know Mega has unique codes on their bags which makes picking up all their blind bags a lot easier.

Is my best bet just to buy the series as a lot? Would this bricklink 71029-2 set contain everything or just a box of 12 random figs?

If you are near a lego store they have them sorted for you. If not time to learn to sort by feel. Years and years ago they had bump codes to tell which fig is which, but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Edit: Wrong Thread

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

OSU_Matthew posted:

Earth posted:

If you are near a lego store they have them sorted for you. If not time to learn to sort by feel. Years and years ago they had bump codes to tell which fig is which, but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

There are feel guides out there on the internet, to help you know what to feel for in the bags - here's one https://www.brothers-brick.com/2021/01/05/lego-collectible-minifigures-71029-series-21-feel-guide-review/

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I used to feel for the blind bags but I think in today’s time, feeling the bags at a Store might be frowned upon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ll feel bags for one specific, and then grab a random without feeling.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

What are your favourite minifigs from this season, people? The Space riot police guy is my absolute favourite at the moment. The throwbacks to the OG colour scheme and Futuron logo with the zipper tick all the boxes. I've bought three so far!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

fappenmeister posted:

What are your favourite minifigs from this season, people? The Space riot police guy is my absolute favourite at the moment. The throwbacks to the OG colour scheme and Futuron logo with the zipper tick all the boxes. I've bought three so far!
I mean the warrior is absolutely incredible. The printing, the new molds, wow. I guess I personally like the beekeeper the most, and not JUST because of the minifig posing stand in light bluish gray!

...But largely because of that.

To anyone interested, my Tuesday streams are being moved to 7PM central, just like the Saturday streams. We're talking about colors next time!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

I mean the warrior is absolutely incredible. The printing, the new molds, wow. I guess I personally like the beekeeper the most, and not JUST because of the minifig posing stand in light bluish gray!

...But largely because of that.

To anyone interested, my Tuesday streams are being moved to 7PM central, just like the Saturday streams. We're talking about colors next time!

Bee guy also has a sweet hazmat suit so that and the new part colour gets my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

fappenmeister posted:

Still missing the Space Police guy, but love the centaur, the aztec, and the singer. The centaurs and aztecs are easy to find so I have 2 of each.

Why does the Lego apple not have a stud hole on the bottom?

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2021