Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

BurritoJustice posted:

If you go on the VNV discord and search for EVE there is a version made for compatibility with LINV/VNV. You can also send me a PM and I can send you a link. It's not publicly hosted due to modder permissions

I appreciate the offer and I would have taken you up on it, but I don't have a platinum account. Thanks for pointing me to the Discord, though. I'll poke around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fame Douglas posted:

Imagine wanting to play some Fallout and you're getting the C-SPAM RPG, instead.

Clearly you've never played Fallout 2.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's been ages since I played F2, but didn't the Enclave want to commit omnicide? Kill everyone on the planet that wasn't them?

Being on the nose about the Enclave being the evilest sons of bitches to ever live seems pretty fine and as much a nod to the player that the mod-makers are aware that these people are not sympathetic in the slightest. And it's ridiculous that's the thing people seem to be taking the most umbrage at and not, well, all the other, actually bad things the mod is doing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ironslave posted:

It's been ages since I played F2, but didn't the Enclave want to commit omnicide? Kill everyone on the planet that wasn't them?

Being on the nose about the Enclave being the evilest sons of bitches to ever live seems pretty fine and as much a nod to the player that the mod-makers are aware that these people are not sympathetic in the slightest. And it's ridiculous that's the thing people seem to be taking the most umbrage at and not, well, all the other, actually bad things the mod is doing.

The talking head of their President pretty much makes it very obvious these guys are pretty insane and or evil.

But I guess WOW COOL POWER ARMOR goes with the Enclave as well as the Brotherhood.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If there's anything I need of a game, it's the knowledge that the creators are "aware" of omnicide being bad. They really need to make it obvious.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The talking head of their President pretty much makes it very obvious these guys are pretty insane and or evil.

But I guess WOW COOL POWER ARMOR goes with the Enclave as well as the Brotherhood.

It's a game, you don't have to act according to your real-world politics.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Gonna throw it out there that according to Old World Blues, the Courier has no loving idea what communism is. It just kind of makes me think a random wastelander wouldn't really be eager to throw around fascist like that.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Gonna throw it out there that according to Old World Blues, the Courier has no loving idea what communism is. It just kind of makes me think a random wastelander wouldn't really be eager to throw around fascist like that.

Yeah if I have a problem with the the line, it's this.

The only people with enough knowledge of the old world to even half way accurately throw around terms like that are people like Arcade and Caesar. And they're gonna be more educated than 99.999~% of living people, so even with the couriers blankish background it's hard to believe they'd know the terms.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also its not like all followers of the apocalypse go in for history lessons. Edward Sallow was a linguist that happened to help him read up on stuff and Arcade specifically mentions having a hobby reading about failed prewar socioeconomic policies.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ironslave posted:

the objection from non-nazis is that its a horribly written line of dialogue. if a neo nazi tried to recruit you would you tell him that he belongs to a 'racist paramilitary organization that is objectively evil' or would you tell him to gently caress off

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also its not like all followers of the apocalypse go in for history lessons. Edward Sallow was a linguist that happened to help him read up on stuff and Arcade specifically mentions having a hobby reading about failed prewar socioeconomic policies.

Not to mention Arcade miiiiiiight just have a bit more skin in that particular game then most people, even among the Followers.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Farm Frenzy posted:

the objection from non-nazis is that its a horribly written line of dialogue. if a neo nazi tried to recruit you would you tell him that he belongs to a 'racist paramilitary organization that is objectively evil' or would you tell him to gently caress off. people are so funny on this forum

Nah. Insulting bluntness is something people do use. And considering the lovely attitudes often on display by modders, screaming to the audience "we know" isn't a bad idea--I know this one from experience, unfortunately. It's also one dialogue option of several so the entire reason for choosing it, if you do, is yours to decide, it's not like it leaves you for a lack of ways to respond to Tricky Dick there.

There are much better things to be disdainful about in the mod, having played that segment and more.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im just saying its a really stupid turn of phrase dude. try saying that sentence out loud. like every other example of dialogue that ive seen from the mod, it sounds like a teen trying to sound smart on an internet forum

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 24, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the flaws with Frontier are a lot more about its embarrassing timing (following Blackthorne at walking pace on a mile long hike, about half of it given to a huge expo dump and the other half in silence) or its giant assortment of bullet sponge enemies e.g. Wendigos or Nano Prototypes, or the frustratingly unstable scripted sequences (I very nearly gave up on it in a couple of the giant rear end set pieces)

not so much one specific dialog line

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

the flaws with Frontier are a lot more about its embarrassing timing (following Blackthorne at walking pace on a mile long hike, about half of it given to a huge expo dump and the other half in silence) or its giant assortment of bullet sponge enemies e.g. Wendigos or Nano Prototypes, or the frustratingly unstable scripted sequences (I very nearly gave up on it in a couple of the giant rear end set pieces)

Seriously calling out one poorly written line in an entire loving ocean of poorly written lines is reeeeally weird

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Flesh Forge posted:

Christ, those scripted walking sequences. It's like they figured out how to do them, were proud of themselves for it, and just decided to slap as many of them as they could without stopping to ask if they should.

Edit: Also, Wendigos are actually pretty neat as an enemy concept and buck some of the trends. They die immediately if you cripple a limb, so you're encouraged to aim for limbs or keep items on hand that do bonus damage to those. They also just spawn 10 of them in a wide area, which can be tedious to clear out and I think they intended them to be a kind of shambling threat you could easily outpace, but if you ignored entirely could bite you in the butt--they're a good piece of design, though probably better-suited to a different game.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 24, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Actually the worst part about it is probably how the 18 year old-ish companion you can enslave has a line talking about just how awfully smelly and sweaty her feet must be

edit:

PinheadSlim posted:

Seriously calling out one poorly written line in an entire loving ocean of poorly written lines is reeeeally weird

that line does kind of stick out particularly bad to me, I think it's because it's throwing the phase "objectively evil" into New Vegas of all loving games

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 24, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

there are many amazing types of bad in the frontiers' writing please keep posting more funny screencaps everyone

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flesh Forge posted:

Wendigos actually aren't so bad since they die instantly on a crippled limb. Target their legs at close range with a shotgun and they go down quick.

e: beaten

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
NPC: "Wanna join the Enclave?"

Courier "The Enclave? Aren't they the guys who got outsmarted by some tribal who stole their vertibird plans, infiltrated two of their bases, defeated the president's super-mutated juggernaut bodyguard, and blew up their oil rig headquarters?"

NPC: "Uh...no that was the...Conclave! Yeah, that's it...uh...oh no! Look! A sex lizard! We've got a get outta here!"

<NPC ends conversations, flees across map into ravine, causing the game to crash>

-

Actually, can someone explain the sex lizard thing to me? I didn't quite catch the gist of what that was all about.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

wait isn't "automatic death if you cripple a limb" just a rip off of Dead Money's Ghost People

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

wait isn't "automatic death if you cripple a limb" just a rip off of Dead Money's Ghost People

Sort of but not quite? Ghost People die but get back up unless a limb is crippled, Wendigos just have an absurd amount of health.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wendigos actually aren't so bad since they die instantly on a crippled limb. Target their legs at close range with a shotgun and they go down quick.

okay, except with 100 guns and a perfect covert sniper rifle and the good amo it takes 4+ shots to knock off a limb, god forbid you went with anything lighter. and then there's the armored up legionnaires guarding every dumpster that take 5+ headshots

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sort of but not quite? Ghost People die but get back up unless a limb is crippled, Wendigos just have an absurd amount of health.

yes

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ironslave posted:

Nah. Insulting bluntness is something people do use. And considering the lovely attitudes often on display by modders, screaming to the audience "we know" isn't a bad idea--I know this one from experience, unfortunately. It's also one dialogue option of several so the entire reason for choosing it, if you do, is yours to decide, it's not like it leaves you for a lack of ways to respond to Tricky Dick there.

There are much better things to be disdainful about in the mod, having played that segment and more.

The first thing that came to mind for me, seeing that screenshot, was actually the player's dialog in Caesar's tent. If you would prefer the Legion to just gently caress off, you don't call Caesar an objectively evil imperialist fascist, you simply say "Death to tyrants! [Start combat.]" More concise, and assumes less about what the Courier knows and wants.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That Frontier mod looks bad, but I like the idea of Fallout in the snow. I know there's a couple winter wasteland type things on the Nexus, are any of those decent?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

fallout 2 has weird sex poo poo in it too for that matter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
New Vegas has weird sex poo poo in it for that matter

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Crowetron posted:

That Frontier mod looks bad, but I like the idea of Fallout in the snow. I know there's a couple winter wasteland type things on the Nexus, are any of those decent?

it has some pretty good things in it and tbh you can run away from the main quest and just go fart around in the snow just fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Flesh Forge posted:

it has some pretty good things in it and tbh you can run away from the main quest and just go fart around in the snow just fine.

You know its really depressing that one of the most anticipated mods for New Vegas is best approached as "play it like it's Fallout 3."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are the enclave really paramilitary, I thought they were just... a military, like the US military continuity organization using the US government's resource stockpiles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I know what the hypothetical goon modding project should be: Cybervegas 2077.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Are the enclave really paramilitary, I thought they were just... a military, like the US military continuity organization using the US government's resource stockpiles.

The Enclave wasn't just members of government, it included scientists, industrialists, and all kinds of various wealthy and powerful people. It's a weird little cabal of people who consider themselves the elite of the elite, but it never really had complete control of the government or military.

So I'd say the armed branch of this group would definitely be considered a paramilitary force even if it was comprised of a large percentage of professional soldiers.

A kind-of sort-of real life comparison would be the Special Activities Center of the CIA. No doubt comprised of professional American soldiers, but a paramilitary organization.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wouldn't the F3 dart gun be an instant-kill on them since the main thing it does is cripple the legs of anyone who gets hit with it?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Tbf isn’t it implied that a high INT courier in NV knows Latin? Since during the quest where you interrogate that legion spy you can speak entire lines of Latin if you pass the INT check. Still doesn’t change how badly written that line is but there’s a bunch of lines in FNV that imply different and contradictory backgrounds for the courier since their backstory is mostly developed through dialogue options.

I haven’t played the mod itself but the PC not being allowed to join the Enclave, which seems like another thing people hate the mod for, might work if the Enclave is the same motivations as their FO2 counterparts, where no matter the PC’s character or motivations, joining them would be literally suicidal and they wouldn’t want a subhuman wastelander to join anyways. Like Unity and the Legion were also pretty close to being as evil as possible but still made sense for a PC to join since there are no hard lines they refuse people for that the PC automatically fulfills (being a contaminated wastelander for Unity and being non human for Legion), but as flexible as the backstory for the Courier can be theres pretty much no scenario for them in which joining the enclave would result in anything other than the enclave telling them to gently caress off/immediately killing them.

Lurdiak posted:

The fallout 2 Enclave Vice President was literally Dan Quayle and I think one of the bad endings for the NCR was Enclave survivors rehabilitating themselves in shady sands and turning into a neocon faction in their Senate, which the game explicitly called right wing.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 24, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

The Enclave wasn't just members of government, it included scientists, industrialists, and all kinds of various wealthy and powerful people. It's a weird little cabal of people who consider themselves the elite of the elite, but it never really had complete control of the government or military.

So I'd say the armed branch of this group would definitely be considered a paramilitary force even if it was comprised of a large percentage of professional soldiers.

A kind-of sort-of real life comparison would be the Special Activities Center of the CIA. No doubt comprised of professional American soldiers, but a paramilitary organization.

I mean, the concept of nationstates is *barely* reemerging in Fallout's universe, so paramilitary is kind of a funnily specific thing to say. Way more than fascist, tbh.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

Imagine wanting to play some Fallout and you're getting the C-SPAM RPG, instead.

NV is pretty much the most C-SPAM rpg there was until Disco Elysium came out, though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zane posted:

fallout 2 has weird sex poo poo in it too for that matter.

Fallout 2 has a ridiculous amount of weird horny garbage to the point that it's kind of embarrassing. The game is still very good in spite of that, but sheesh.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

The fallout 2 Enclave Vice President was literally Dan Quayle and I think one of the bad endings for the NCR was Enclave survivors rehabilitating themselves in shady sands and turning into a neocon faction in their Senate, which the game explicitly called right wing.

Yeah. It was the most on the nose political commentary I've ever seen in a video game. The supernazi bad guys were a completely blatant parallel to modern US republicans and their horrible ideology that led to the great war and was on the verge of leading to omnicide was directly compared to that of those republicans. You can't get more C-spam than that.

Zore posted:

New Vegas has weird sex poo poo in it for that matter

Some of that stuff is silly and could be done away with but it is very very mild compared to Fallout 2. It's also a lot funnier.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igb9v94S_lY

:lol:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 24, 2021

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thinkin' about trying out this New Frontier mod. This means pretty much starting fresh for me, reinstalling New Vegas for about the 30th time. I've only installed the necessities like that one mod that adds bullet time and sprint function, but never a mod where it's a whole new location. Any tips?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I did the minimum required by the Frontier mod plus a handful of other things (the mod that disables the Frontier custom faces, a hair mod, sprint mod). it crashes a ton during the really involved set pieces but just moving around is fine :shrug:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Looking for a mod that limits Fast Travel so I'm not zipping around the map all the time, I know Puce Moose has this cool one

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46226

but I was wondering if there were any others where say you repaired a motorcycle and that allowed you to fast travel, but required regular maintenance or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thinkin' about trying out this New Frontier mod. This means pretty much starting fresh for me, reinstalling New Vegas for about the 30th time. I've only installed the necessities like that one mod that adds bullet time and sprint function, but never a mod where it's a whole new location. Any tips?

I set it up by using the Viva New Vegas installation guide first, then installing the Frontier and some other mods on top of that. You'll want to make sure to cross-reference the compatibility spreadsheet, and check the announcements section of the Discord server for the latest hotfix and information.

As you may have guessed looking through the thread, opinions are definitely mixed. The NCR questline (so far) is very much Call of Duty flavored but broadly inoffensive, Crusaders is (allegedly, I haven't done any of their stuff or looked it up myself) mormon anime waifu simulator, and there's a ton of edgy "the raiders are extra bad so we'll make sure you know they love to enslave people and rape them" content in the sidequests. If you're looking for an interesting, winter-themed environment to run around, shoot raiders and mutant animals, and try out some shockingly-good vehicle mechanics, it's a solid mod. If you're looking for a New Vegas-esque experience with well-written choices and consequences, you're gonna be disappointed.