Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
McCains Frozen Pizzas in Australia are actually quite good if you heat them in a proper oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

The Planters can of cheese balls was much better than the PB crisps.

they brought those things back. made new flavors of them too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

:catstare:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My son can't eat wheat, eggs, or cheese, but I've managed to put together a pizza that tastes about as good as Ellio's, so I'm happy with that. And also wondering exactly what Ellio's is made out of.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Any variation of “Flamming Hot” is a good one and now I want those balls in my mouth.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

dialhforhero posted:

and now I want those balls in my mouth.

The eternal mood.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I remember eating the poo poo out of flaking hot cheetos as a kid. I stopped but it probably took forever to get that red layer off my fingers.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

uber_stoat posted:

We had those back in the 80's when I was in daycare. About '81. They were not good, but I do remember them fondly. I didn't like them at all, but I still think well of them. We also always had grapefruit juice and those weird potato chip straws that were a thing back then. They also served us really terrible gristley meat. Not sure why, but it's what they did. It's really hard to choke down gristle when you're 3. We did it though.

Oddly enough, our daycare was at the retirement home that my mother was an administrator at. We used to get to hang out with the residents. It was pretty cool. I just wonder why they served inedible meat to to people without teeth. These were people born in the 1800's.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mostlygray posted:

We had those back in the 80's when I was in daycare. About '81. They were not good

:frogout:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

mostlygray posted:

We had those back in the 80's when I was in daycare. About '81. They were not good, but I do remember them fondly. I didn't like them at all, but I still think well of them. We also always had grapefruit juice and those weird potato chip straws that were a thing back then. They also served us really terrible gristley meat. Not sure why, but it's what they did. It's really hard to choke down gristle when you're 3. We did it though.

Oddly enough, our daycare was at the retirement home that my mother was an administrator at. We used to get to hang out with the residents. It was pretty cool. I just wonder why they served inedible meat to to people without teeth. These were people born in the 1800's.

This post just reads like something else to me. Lot’s going on here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

You can't see the custom cursor or hear the midi soundtrack. It seems to be missing the custom status bar message scrolling, along with the "Hover over this to temporarily hide the scroller" and "Click here for a different scroller message" links.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's just missing the browser being Netscape Navigator to make it perfect.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's just missing the browser being Netscape Navigator to make it perfect.

Hit counter....

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

The "AND Yes You Guess It... No That Is Not My Real Name!" kind of got me good right there.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Hit counter....

Guestbook and/or webring.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

uber_stoat posted:

Apparently they changed the recipe and they taste nothing like they used to.

I bought a can of the cheezballs on a whim and it tasted like sawdust with orange coating. Disappointing too because I used to loving looooove the cheez curls.

Contribution, This is clearly 90's related
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1350974973544947713

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Apparently they changed the recipe and they taste nothing like they used to.

I bought a can of the cheezballs on a whim and it tasted like sawdust with orange coating. Disappointing too because I used to loving looooove the cheez curls.

Contribution, This is clearly 90's related
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1350974973544947713

for all of the (tongue in cheek) bitching in the song about mass market culture and Hollywood, that dude became a hella successful songwriter in his own right even without all the New Radicals royalties

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Ok Comboomer posted:

for all of the (tongue in cheek) bitching in the song about mass market culture and Hollywood, that dude became a hella successful songwriter in his own right even without all the New Radicals royalties

Dude wrote that Michelle Branch/Santana song, gently caress the haters it slaps

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dude is the cousin of a guy I work with. He’s a hella good dude apparently. And an amazing musician.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

dialhforhero posted:

This post just reads like something else to me. Lot’s going on here.

Yeah, I get to rambling...

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

That song rules, and is one of the all time greats of the 90s

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ambitious Spider posted:

That song rules, and is one of the all time greats of the 90s

It is a pretty good, feel good kind of song isn't it?
Also like In the Meantime by Spacehog.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
That album is great back to back

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's something about the song that really rubs me the wrong way. It came off real slick and professional for the band that seemed to try to sell itself as a some kind out outsiders that where here to challenge the big corporate rock of *checks lyrics* Beck and Hanson.

Also probably because of my teenage experience, the poor kids had to go out and get jobs and were constantly abused by rich kids who did not, so making a song about how kids should just be allowed to run wild is like making a teen movie and making the jocks the heroes. Though later found out that people who didn't grow up with a bunch of lovely rich kids didn't have this interpretation.

Sometimes i realize when I describe what I went though in my teenage years it sounds like i'm talking about being in the poo poo in Vietnam. To illustrate how lovely these kids were, they beat me up because i thought getting a girl drunk and having sex with her was wrong.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jan 24, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

There's something about the song that really rubs me the wrong way. It came off real slick and professional for the band that seemed to try to sell itself as a some kind out outsiders that where here to challenge the big corporate rock of *checks lyrics* Beck and Hanson.

Also probably because of my teenage experience, the poor kids had to go out and get jobs and were constantly abused by rich kids who did not, so making a song about how kids should just be allowed to run wild is like making a teen movie and making the jocks the heroes. Though later found out that people who didn't grow up with a bunch of lovely rich kids didn't have this interpretation.

Sometimes i realize when I describe what I went though in my teenage years it sounds like i'm talking about being in the poo poo in Vietnam. To illustrate how lovely these kids were, they beat me up because i thought getting a girl drunk and having sex with her was wrong.

“You know what I love about rich kids? Nothing”

(yeah Patrick Willems just dropped a 35 minute video about hit early 00’s TV show The O.C, what of it?)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I recall that in the 90s there was a proliferation of "retro 80s" nights at various clubs and on local radio stations that may have been broadcasting from these clubs.
Of course they'd be playing a poo poo ton of pop, and new wave etc... No hair metal that I could recall though. Nor anything from older acts like the Rolling Stones and so on.
Pretty much all the kind of poo poo like Duran Duran, Modern English, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Devo, Talknig heads etc...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

(yeah Patrick Willems just dropped a 35 minute video about hit early 00’s TV show The O.C, what of it?)
gently caress me this dude Patrick Willems sucks. After skipping through about 5 minutes of him conscripting his parents for "sketch comedy" and flexing his little black book with YouTube cameos I had to listen to the sentence "McG was looking for another 90210 and he got Freaks and Geeks." Lmao ok dude.

On a completely different track, I love that rich YouTube hobbyists can show off all sorts of retro PC builds. I was way too poor and uneducated in the 90s to check this stuff out in-depth, and still too poor to afford a workshop now, so it's nice to get an up-close look at all this toy tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxtfWmpTcs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wesleywillis posted:

I recall that in the 90s there was a proliferation of "retro 80s" nights at various clubs and on local radio stations that may have been broadcasting from these clubs.
Of course they'd be playing a poo poo ton of pop, and new wave etc... No hair metal that I could recall though. Nor anything from older acts like the Rolling Stones and so on.
Pretty much all the kind of poo poo like Duran Duran, Modern English, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Devo, Talknig heads etc...

They were still doing that here until Covid. They used to broadcast the Saturday night show on one of the radio stations. It was fantastic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wesleywillis posted:

Not quite clubs but KROQ in LA had the Flashback Lunch at noon. For a kid it was a great way to listen to pop stuff I was too young to appreciate in the 80s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching Brutal Moose's video on the VHS tapes that Nintendo put out, and I remember having the Donkey Kong Country video and it just being annoying to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_YCSbWP78

I also remember not being able to watch it because the constant cuts, filters and just general tweeked out look of the video. Also the host has serious coked up morning drive time DJ with a name like The Scrot or The Zit energy. I still have a hard time believing this is what people liked, and not what middle aged marketing people thought kids liked.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The thing that gets me is how much older everybody looks/feels and especially dresses. I am basically the age that the Seinfeld cast was during some of the show’s most beloved episodes, and I just cannot reconcile the fact that Jason Alexander is like 31 there. They all seem so old and middle-aged.

There appears to be this massive gulf in the early-mid 90s between, like, the plaid-wearing teens and 20-somethings, and 30-somethings going to parties in slacks and button-down shirts and shined shoes and poo poo.

When I haven’t been teaching I dress like a drat 20 year old, and I feel even less responsible. Like today it’s so common to see people in their 40s dressing like/mixing with people in their 20s and like dying their hair, etc.

but also the late 90s/2000s is when workwear culture massively changed in general. Like my engineer dad went from dressing like George Costanza, with a tie and starched shirts, in his 30s to wearing the now-rote corporate uniform of tucked polo shirt (preferably with company logo), jeans, and New Balances in his 40s and 50s. Now he just wears a lot of wool sweaters to work.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's just like how people looked really old in the 70's, people smoked and drank a lot and ate lovely food

if you were born in the mid 80s or later you likely didnt have those habits, like my wife and i have barely visibly aged since we were 20 or something, my mom's been a nonsmoker vegetarian all her life and looks 20 years younger than other ladies her age who are all hunchbacked bloaty faces with cube-shaped haircuts. old fashioned ways of arranging households with like a breadwinning husband who smokes and works in a lovely place and a housewife who takes care of the kids and doesnt get any real exercise also began to decline

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Not quite clubs but KROQ in LA had the Flashback Lunch at noon. For a kid it was a great way to listen to pop stuff I was too young to appreciate in the 80s.

KNDD in Seattle had a similar one, I think they called it Old School Lunch, but yeah, same thing. Of course when I was 13, the 80's seemed like it might as well have been antediluvian despite only being 4 years prior.

Ok Comboomer posted:

The thing that gets me is how much older everybody looks/feels and especially dresses. I am basically the age that the Seinfeld cast was during some of the show’s most beloved episodes, and I just cannot reconcile the fact that Jason Alexander is like 31 there. They all seem so old and middle-aged.

There appears to be this massive gulf in the early-mid 90s between, like, the plaid-wearing teens and 20-somethings, and 30-somethings going to parties in slacks and button-down shirts and shined shoes and poo poo.

When I haven’t been teaching I dress like a drat 20 year old, and I feel even less responsible. Like today it’s so common to see people in their 40s dressing like/mixing with people in their 20s and like dying their hair, etc.

but also the late 90s/2000s is when workwear culture massively changed in general. Like my engineer dad went from dressing like George Costanza, with a tie and starched shirts, in his 30s to wearing the now-rote corporate uniform of tucked polo shirt (preferably with company logo), jeans, and New Balances in his 40s and 50s. Now he just wears a lot of wool sweaters to work.

I don't know, I didn't know any 30+ year olds in the 90's other than my parents, but I know that when my dad turned 40 he decided he had to look nice every time he went shopping for anything. It was weird as hell.

I feel like the whole work dress change was boomers coming into power and deciding they hated wearing ties every day.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ok Comboomer posted:

The thing that gets me is how much older everybody looks/feels and especially dresses. I am basically the age that the Seinfeld cast was during some of the show’s most beloved episodes, and I just cannot reconcile the fact that Jason Alexander is like 31 there.
A lot of it is changes in fashion, but also the concept of personal care and grooming and more "modern" styles making poo poo like JLD's hair look incredibly dated. I think the fact that the Seinfeld crew was more "established" also aged them, compared to the Friends group which is relatively young and vibrant.

Like skin care routines are a thing now for all genders. That has an effect for sure.

One interesting thing is that the proliferation of makeup brands and new makeup techniques have had an aging up effect on people while maintaining a sense of youth. I think I've mentioned this before, but 90s makeup was eyeliner, lipstick, maybe some blush and eyeshadow? Now we have a color-corrector for blemishes and eyebags, an all-over foundation matched to our skin's subtones, hilights, contours, etc. It's a lot more "art" in makeup, and as a result you have teens that look like they skipped their awkward phase, and 20-30 somethings with a perpetual Kylie Jenner look.

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like the whole work dress change was boomers coming into power and deciding they hated wearing ties every day.
Yeah, there was the whole Apple/Microsoft thing where they were like "we're not the squares at IBM so dress nice enough man". And companies generally decided that uniforms could be slacks and polos.

I'll add that it's also likely that people just don't have the loving disposable income to wear suits and shirts that require regular drycleaning anymore.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 25, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, there was the whole Apple/Microsoft thing where they were like "we're not the squares at IBM so dress nice enough man". And companies generally decided that uniforms could be slacks and polos.

There's a direct line from that to people guys deciding that wearing toe shoes with cargo shorts to work is acceptable.

Bring back 1950s IBM workwear, I say.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can technically wear jeans and a polo for work, but I find slacks to just be more comfortable when sitting at a computer all day, and a button down shirt has a pocket on it which is perfect for containing cell phones, so I dress like a square.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I got you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JLD :swoon: