Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bright Bart posted:

Does BTC mining contribute anything in particular? Like does it reward you for hosting the blockchain? Because some coins use their mining for something that isn't ostensibly useless and lol if BTC would just burn power.

[citation needed]

As far as I know there are no coins that do useful work outside their own blockchain. There are tons of coins that claim to, but most are in the "we have a website" phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I see seraph's usual poo poo that didnt happen dot txt now includes sexual fantasy oversharing

We know what happened the last time he indulged in sexual fantasy oversharing

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

So just tulip gambling with really hot running light bulbs all over the world wasting electricity. Awesome.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

there are also really hot running fans

a lot of fans, ok

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Ad by Khad posted:

there are also really hot running fans

a lot of fans, ok

Well that blows

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm a basic bitch who still can't make the connection between the computational side of bitcoin (a ledger that grows and checks itself in a decentralized manner, got it) and the financial side (here's a token as reward for your efforts because... reasons?). I can see how such tokens would hypothetically be useful as a store of value, but... now there are hundreds of imitators and alternate justifications of value. Heck, Ethereum 2.0 is supposed to remove a lot of the computer grinding.

"It's not just currency derived from computer sweat, though, it's also a digital currency that doesn't have to be pegged to a bank or treasury." Okay, but there are tokens for that too. Without the hash guessing and novelty of online money, what's left for bitcoin? Its price trending upward, especially as the new mining supply halves every four years? What happens when the price soars so high that only the rich can realistically purchase a significant portion of a bitcoin? Why wouldn't everyone just walk away and go back to their banking/money apps? I am picturing someone who got into bitcoin back when they were worth pocket change, feeling like king poo poo because they're a multimillionaire... and then no one being willing to buy. What would be able to drop the price at that point, or whenever people hypothetically lose interest? How does bitcoin not become an ultra-rare beanie baby?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

there's a certain amount of evidence to indicate that these lengthy bull runs aren't even naturally occurring bubbles, but rather the side-effects of certain large, non-institutional investors buying in for various reasons. i.e. "because it lets me smuggle cash out of China" or "libertarianism questionmarks"

the price has little to do with the value, and elaborate justifications for why it does are typically founded on nothing

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Space Fish posted:

I am picturing someone who got into bitcoin back when they were worth pocket change, feeling like king poo poo because they're a multimillionaire... and then no one being willing to buy. What would be able to drop the price at that point, or whenever people hypothetically lose interest? How does bitcoin not become an ultra-rare beanie baby?

Can't you buy/sell fractions of bitcoins?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fractional orders can be done for sure. It's just... once bitcoin is priced to the moon, why bother with it from there? How would banks and other whales shave off little millionths of a coin to get anything done? It's similar to the problem goldbugs have in describing gold as a store of value in a hyper-inflated doomsday scenario. Who will accept a brick of gold as payment compared to food and water? Digitally speaking, why accept a whole other form of value when there are tokens pegged to different currencies now, with banks crafting their own tokens as we speak? What is bitcoin offering that can't be, or hasn't already been, replicated in a more practical form?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Space Fish posted:

Fractional orders can be done for sure. It's just... once bitcoin is priced to the moon, why bother with it from there? How would banks and other whales shave off little millionths of a coin to get anything done? It's similar to the problem goldbugs have in describing gold as a store of value in a hyper-inflated doomsday scenario. Who will accept a brick of gold as payment compared to food and water? Digitally speaking, why accept a whole other form of value when there are tokens pegged to different currencies now, with banks crafting their own tokens as we speak? What is bitcoin offering that can't be, or hasn't already been, replicated in a more practical form?

it’s basically like someone saying “it’s called a ship you idiots, why bother learning to swim? actually being in the water is for total losers. also, the ship is the largest passenger ship ever made and is unsinkable due to advanced safety features, such as watertight compartments and remotely activated watertight doors. stupid noshippers are going to regret not getting on board!”

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

ymgve posted:

[citation needed]

As far as I know there are no coins that do useful work outside their own blockchain. There are tons of coins that claim to, but most are in the "we have a website" phase

Fair. But I want to make a coin that rewards you for using your processing power and... just mines Bitcoin with your rig. Why hasn't this been done actually?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Because the act of mining butts is by definition all-encompassing. Anything that diverts power to something productive is going to uncompetitive with dedicated miners (which will be uncompetitive with massive purpose-built farms of specialty devices located in areas with cheap electricity). Remember that the prize of creating a block is all-or-nothing; it's a lottery where you either win the jackpot or go home empty-handed, and have to start from scratch every drawing.

There's literally no point in this, and it's self defeating.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, holy poo poo, serph actually took my advice and registered multiple accounts, including some with a VPN. i am so, so sorry everyone.

bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bright Bart posted:

Fair. But I want to make a coin that rewards you for using your processing power and... just mines Bitcoin with your rig. Why hasn't this been done actually?
Let's take SETI at home for an example. You reward people for analysing data and submitting results. But if you're rewarded for submitting results, why bother analysing the data? Just submit fake results. OK, so now SETI at home needs to check the results, but it takes as long to check the results as it does to just do the work themselves.

So this kind of thing only works if the results are hard to compute, but easy to check. Find something useful that falls under those conditions and yeah go ahead.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Splicer posted:

Let's take SETI at home for an example. You reward people for analysing data and submitting results. But if you're rewarded for submitting results, why bother analysing the data? Just submit fake results. OK, so now SETI at home needs to check the results, but it takes as long to check the results as it does to just do the work themselves.

So this kind of thing only works if the results are hard to compute, but easy to check. Find something useful that falls under those conditions and yeah go ahead.

I think you're underestimating how much of a scam I am referring to. In my coin it literally uses your rig to mine actual Bitcoins on my behalf and alots you a semi-arbitrary amount of Tungsten Coin or what have you. These coins are just produced as a result of mining BTC. For me.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

why are idiots still investing in bitcoins now anyway? It's pretty obvious at this point that they are going to be obsolete in a few years after someone uses the technology to develop bitbills, which will do the same thing but be worth more.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Call Your Grandma posted:

why are idiots still investing in bitcoins now anyway? It's pretty obvious at this point that they are going to be obsolete in a few years after someone uses the technology to develop bitbills, which will do the same thing but be worth more.

you see, unlike filthy national fiat the new hot nerd fiat is the best thing ever and will exist forever like gold

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Don't get your point. Number go up means profit.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Thats why you diversify! There are only like 10000 shitcoins, buy into all of them at once!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

118 posts, something must have happened in the world of buttcoin, lets see what it wa

:yikes:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Just wait until the release of Bitcoin classic

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Space Fish posted:

I'm a basic bitch who still can't make the connection between the computational side of bitcoin (a ledger that grows and checks itself in a decentralized manner, got it) and the financial side (here's a token as reward for your efforts because... reasons?). I can see how such tokens would hypothetically be useful as a store of value, but... now there are hundreds of imitators and alternate justifications of value. Heck, Ethereum 2.0 is supposed to remove a lot of the computer grinding.

"It's not just currency derived from computer sweat, though, it's also a digital currency that doesn't have to be pegged to a bank or treasury." Okay, but there are tokens for that too. Without the hash guessing and novelty of online money, what's left for bitcoin? Its price trending upward, especially as the new mining supply halves every four years? What happens when the price soars so high that only the rich can realistically purchase a significant portion of a bitcoin? Why wouldn't everyone just walk away and go back to their banking/money apps? I am picturing someone who got into bitcoin back when they were worth pocket change, feeling like king poo poo because they're a multimillionaire... and then no one being willing to buy. What would be able to drop the price at that point, or whenever people hypothetically lose interest? How does bitcoin not become an ultra-rare beanie baby?

so tl;dr if your reaction to learning how bitcoin actually works is "that can't be right, that's just stupid," the reason is: yes, it is indeed stupid

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

so tl;dr if your reaction to learning how bitcoin actually works is "that can't be right, that's just stupid," the reason is: yes, it is indeed stupid

Since you're an expert on the subject, why don't you elaborate on the "Without the hash guessing and novelty of online money, what's left for bitcoin?" question?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

xtal posted:

Since you're an expert on the subject, why don't you elaborate on the "Without the hash guessing and novelty of online money, what's left for bitcoin?" question?

The answer is "nothing". hth

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

vortmax posted:

The answer is "nothing". hth

"If I totally misunderstand the value of something, what value does it have?"
"I agree with you."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean...as opposed to the answer of "none, because the situation described is why the entire project is an irrational mirage built by credulous idiots who despite the application of lots and lots of fraud, cannot possibly create this new world that they posit since it's wholly nonsensical and self-contradictory"?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

xtal posted:

here’s a counter question that addresses the same problem:

what was bitcoin worth by itself before people started using it as a store of USD and other currency? like, what does it do other than be a way to park real money in a volatile intermediary?

stocks sometimes pay dividends or may offer you voting privileges in stockholder meetings, for example, or in extreme cases can be used for a hostile takeover of another business

but i don’t know of anything bitcoin does for you that’s even remotely comparable to that

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Dewgy posted:

here’s a counter question that addresses the same problem:

what was bitcoin worth by itself before people started using it as a store of USD and other currency? like, what does it do other than be a way to park real money in a volatile intermediary?

stocks sometimes pay dividends or may offer you voting privileges in stockholder meetings, for example, or in extreme cases can be used for a hostile takeover of another business

but i don’t know of anything bitcoin does for you that’s even remotely comparable to that

it provides almost as much security as cash when doing crimes, but with the benefits of remote transactions

e: and without the overhead of offshoring and lawyers that is typically required to do crimes with electronic money

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Maybe as a souvenir of a mining process? People like collectibles.

Fun fact not all legal currency is also legal tender. Bank of Scotland notes I would get at most any Atm were routinely refused outside Scotland but even one specific place in Scotland wanted English notes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it provides almost as much security as cash when doing crimes, but with the benefits of remote transactions

e: and without the overhead of offshoring and lawyers that is typically required to do crimes with electronic money

Good take. But this is still a version of BTC where transactional value takes off. As in the cocaine wholesaler will accept BTC because he can buy a car or Villa with it or at least trade it for more cocaine to sell for hard currency.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Maybe as a souvenir of a mining process? People like collectibles.

Fun fact not all legal currency is also legal tender. Bank of Scotland notes I would get at most any Atm were routinely refused outside Scotland but even one specific place in Scotland wanted English notes.

I think technically legal tender only means that they're required to be accepted specifically for the repayment of debt. Any form of payment that does not involve debt you can restrict what you'll accept to whatever the gently caress you want.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

Good take. But this is still a version of BTC where transactional value takes off. As in the cocaine wholesaler will accept BTC because he can buy a car or Villa with it or at least trade it for more cocaine to sell for hard currency.

that's all money though. it's only worth what people will trade for it

e: well, coins are also useful as random number generators, and you can use paper bills to temporarily patch a bicycle tire

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

reignonyourparade posted:

I think technically legal tender only means that they're required to be accepted specifically for the repayment of debt. Any form of payment that does not involve debt you can restrict what you'll accept to whatever the gently caress you want.

Ya. Although in the case of Scotland pretty sure no bill is legal tender and Scottish bills are not legal tender anywhere.

The rest is just anecdote.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 25, 2021

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Any thoughts on the idea of shorting MicroStrategy?

BurnAllTheSuburbs
Jan 25, 2021

by Pragmatica

Dewgy posted:

quote:

Sent BTC remittance to family in Argentina. The future is here.

Family member's landlord wanted hiked rent to double what she was paying. He did that in the middle of a pandemic; her savings were depleted, and was facing exorbitant prices to move into a new place. PANIC.

BTC was made for this, I thought, so I offered to help with the cost of moving. When she said yes, I suggested using BTC.

Helped her open an account with a local exchange. It took a total of 30 minutes until all transactions were completed. By the next morning, she had the $ in her bank account, in the local currency. It was Saturday. The cost for all this, $2.30 USD.

I knew this was possible, but I couldn't believe it. She had never heard of BTC, and she couldn't believe it. Now we both know, that if she ever needs financial help, it is literally 24 hours away, at almost no cost.

Consider the alternatives:

A wire transfer costs $25 USD. Would take days/weeks.

With other services like Western Union, a transfer of $900 could cost $76.

When she receives the $ in USD, she also faces local banking restrictions on how much she can use/withdraw per month. (Argentina always has a dollar liquidity crisis)

Skipping USD, the banks, and other traditional intermediaries is cheaper, faster, freer.

With lightning it will become even more ridiculous. And when we can pay for things in BTC, it will be beyond ludicrous. But what BTC allows us to do right now, is already pretty cool.

EDIT: Para los Argentinos en el sub, usamos RIPIO. Si envían BTC, quien lo reciba tiene que tener cuenta bancaria para retirar el dinero. No se si hay mejores alternativas, pero esta casa de cambio funcionó muy bien.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/l3uxy3/sent_btc_remittance_to_family_in_argentina_the/

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Don't short GME.

Actually I'm dissapointed options on BTC aren't readily available. Instead of holding it I could just make use of the fact it will fluctuate at least 10 percent any given day for constant profit.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hi Seraph. Also no one's using BTC for remittances because no one actually takes butts for the actual reasons they need money.

Bright Bart posted:

Don't short GME.

Actually I'm dissapointed options on BTC aren't readily available. Instead of holding it I could just make use of the fact it will fluctuate at least 10 percent any given day for constant profit.
The premium for implied volatility will have that priced in. Options trading makes it deceptively easy to lose your shirt in half the (leveraged) time it takes to lose your shirt by trading only the underlying asset!

BurnAllTheSuburbs
Jan 25, 2021

by Pragmatica

kw0134 posted:

The premium for implied volatility will have that priced in. Options trading makes it deceptively easy to lose your shirt in half the (leveraged) time it takes to lose your shirt by trading only the underlying asset!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaIuRbLGxg

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

BurnAllTheSuburbs
Jan 25, 2021

by Pragmatica

Space Fish posted:

If you're genuinely interested in challenging yourself intellectually or having your biases checked, I'd advise against posing your questions in an echo-chamber like this one. Broaden your posting horizons, friend. But to answer your question, what happens is that capitalism collapses in the face of the financial singularity.

Dewgy posted:

it’s basically like someone saying “it’s called a ship you idiots, why bother learning to swim? actually being in the water is for total losers. also, the ship is the largest passenger ship ever made and is unsinkable due to advanced safety features, such as watertight compartments and remotely activated watertight doors. stupid noshippers are going to regret not getting on board!”
Enjoy drowning in fiat debt, I guess.

*sails away on his Bityacht*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BurnAllTheSuburbs fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Sending money to an Argentinian bank account, from my bank account, through my bank, over the internet, costs $0.

Checkmate, coiners. Western Union lol maybe in the 1800s