Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Starting to get all of my production lines setup with logistics stations, here are my first 3 lines of intermediate products: circuit boards, magnetic coils, and electric motors.

A couple odd things I've noticed so far during my quest to de-speghetifi.

1) On your starting planetoid, maybe I'm just unlucky but there only seems to be iron/copper patches in half of your starting hemisphere, the rest of the planetoid seems to only have coal veins and oil seeps. Probably to get you to start bringing those minerals in from the other planets.

2) Deleting long lines of belts is absolutely frustrating, if you happen to mouse off of the belt when moving and holding down left click, you have to re-click and the hitbox is really wonky.

26 hours in now, game is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coolnezzz posted:

Starting to get all of my production lines setup with logistics stations, here are my first 3 lines of intermediate products: circuit boards, magnetic coils, and electric motors.

A couple odd things I've noticed so far during my quest to de-speghetifi.

1) On your starting planetoid, maybe I'm just unlucky but there only seems to be iron/copper patches in half of your starting hemisphere, the rest of the planetoid seems to only have coal veins and oil seeps. Probably to get you to start bringing those minerals in from the other planets.

2) Deleting long lines of belts is absolutely frustrating, if you happen to mouse off of the belt when moving and holding down left click, you have to re-click and the hitbox is really wonky.

26 hours in now, game is good!

Yeah now that I got purple science and dyson sails going I'm at that point myself. I'm at "Ugh, I need this...but to get this I need to produce that...which needs something else..." Right now I'm working on making more titanium crystals because you need so much oil to make them. And then I'll likely start reducing the giant piles of hydrogen I have in reserve into deuterium for fuel cells and strange matter.

I agree with you on both points. Starting planet has iron and copper so thick on one side it almost gets in the way, far side has only coal, oil and stone. I've noticed the other planet I've checked out in my system is about the same where most of the ore is on one side. On the plus side, the big open spaces made it real easy to set up a dedicated science area where I drone in the raw resources.

Also once you get Deuterium cells for your mech, you really don't care about mech energy ever again.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

:haw:

And yet I still haven't made any purple science.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If you put solar panels on the Poles will they always have sunlight?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

as someone who recently discovered Factorio i wanna get DSP so bad but I havent even launched a rocket yet in Factorio so i think ima let myself burn out on that and keep an eye on DSP as it develops

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I hosed up by trying to build a interstellar transport chain without sufficient power, and man, you need a LOT of fuckin power

EDIT: Yeaaaaah, I think this might be a good place to call it quits for the first run, now that I've learned some important stuff like splitter toggles and so on. It's an absurd amount of power you need, and I'm pretty convinced I'll need to do something crazy like building oil wells on every available source on the starter planet before I even think of looking to the stars.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 24, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

toasterwarrior posted:

I hosed up by trying to build a interstellar transport chain without sufficient power, and man, you need a LOT of fuckin power

EDIT: Yeaaaaah, I think this might be a good place to call it quits for the first run, now that I've learned some important stuff like splitter toggles and so on. It's an absurd amount of power you need, and I'm pretty convinced I'll need to do something crazy like building oil wells on every available source on the starter planet before I even think of looking to the stars.

Have you been autosending solar sails up to the sun? Have you been burning your excess hydrogen? I'm just asking because I've yet to run into any serious power problems.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Just a quick PSA for DSP, the construction drones don't seem to have a tether distance so if you leave a planet while they're building something, they don't magically teleport back to you.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Have you been autosending solar sails up to the sun? Have you been burning your excess hydrogen? I'm just asking because I've yet to run into any serious power problems.

Oh lol, I definitely should've remembered that, thank you!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hihohe posted:

Depends on your planet's rotation, but generally you'll have 2 seasons that are very long, they'll get sun 100% of the time in polar summer, but never in polar winter.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This game scratches my "gently caress making progress just stare at things as they work" that factorio gave me. I'm sad I didn't think about moving my EM launchers and ray catcher to the pole for a while (freaking gas giant kept blocking my view for long enough that I couldn't get a lot of power).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DSP is a very visually pleasing game, every building has bright lights that shine when working, or the lights of the sorters blinking when they're moving something, all the different colors based on which tier you're using.. it's a tremendous game if you like to zone out and watch your factory working while not getting a whole lot done. The nights are too dark without lights but man it looks really good at night with all the neon everywhere.

Edit: ^^ :hfive:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Nookrium is going to be streaming some Nimby in a couple hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbQMdx7t4o0

Looks like a few let's plays are up around google now.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 24, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

explosivo posted:

I've got a pretty good stock of Mk3 grabbers and Mk2 Conveyors going finally and man, it is a pain in the rear end to replace stuff right now. They mentioned plans for upgrades but right now you have to delete everything and rebuild. Fortunately it's not too hard to delete a section of conveyor and put a new one in the space and move down the line like that. You can delete the conveyor from below a sorter and the sorters stay in place so that part's not too bad. Upgrading the sorters themselves though is a bit of a pain in the dick, I'm pretty much just waiting until I spot a bottleneck and slapping faster belts/sorters in there.

Edit: Never mind, I got it fixed, but having to delete an entire line just to patch something is kind of annoying. Plus I somehow got it running the wrong direction on one set of belt and had to redo that bit too. I messed up a placement for just some level one converyors and now every time I try to reconnect what I had to delete it just makes a whole new line that won't connect. This game is fun as hell though besides some minor poo poo like that.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 24, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

toasterwarrior posted:

I hosed up by trying to build a interstellar transport chain without sufficient power, and man, you need a LOT of fuckin power.
It’s only 300 wind turbines worth of power, sheesh.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hihohe posted:

If you cover both poles one will always have sunlight. Unless the planet is orbiting a gas giant at which point the question on if at least one of your poles has light is something along the lines of "maybe?". A ring around the planet, near the equator, is also a good idea.

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh lol, I definitely should've remembered that, thank you!

When you're approaching red science, hydrogen is a valuable, almost precious material. The moment you get X-Ray cracking and/or start setting up facilities for plastics/organic crystals/sulfuric acid it becomes a waste product you start to burn instead of coal until you can get the REAL power supplies online.

Then you get into fusion and it becomes somewhat useful again.

Anyways if we're posting pictures...just taking a moment to enjoy sunrise on the molten inner core planet while building a tier-2 chip factory the size of Africa.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

seaborgium posted:

How do you replace them? I messed up a placement for just some level one converyors and now every time I try to reconnect what I had to delete it just makes a whole new line that won't connect. This game is fun as hell though besides some minor poo poo like that.

You have to delete and rebuild, not sure why it wouldn't connect. When I'm upgrading a line from Mk1 to Mk2 I'll delete a section, then rebuild with the Mk2 by connecting the two points after removing the section.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving fine I'm buying the stupid dyson sphere game ugh.

I already have factorio but it is pretty cheap and it does look nice. Also I won't feel compelled to play it with angelbobs installed.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 24, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

explosivo posted:

You have to delete and rebuild, not sure why it wouldn't connect. When I'm upgrading a line from Mk1 to Mk2 I'll delete a section, then rebuild with the Mk2 by connecting the two points after removing the section.

Thanks, that's a bit annoying but it's survivable. Hopefully it gets worked on at some point.

Edit: Found it, apparently right clicking on the list of things you're researching with the tech tree will cancel a research task. Lots of stuff to learn with this game.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 24, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Between learning all these lessons from the first run and pipe/liquid physics still not being in the game, I'm in the mood to shelf DSP for a bit. Not that it's a bad game, extremely not, but the scale is legit incredible and it's gonna suck having to start anew after investing so much thought into your first go of a technically incomplete game, lol

Also, it seems like there's a cap on how many solar sails can be on an orbit, and you'll have to manually create and set all your guns to a new one every time an orbit is "maxed out." Wonder if they'll be working on that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

toasterwarrior posted:

Between learning all these lessons from the first run and pipe/liquid physics still not being in the game, I'm in the mood to shelf DSP for a bit. Not that it's a bad game, extremely not, but the scale is legit incredible and it's gonna suck having to start anew after investing so much thought into your first go of a technically incomplete game, lol

Also, it seems like there's a cap on how many solar sails can be on an orbit, and you'll have to manually create and set all your guns to a new one every time an orbit is "maxed out." Wonder if they'll be working on that.

I have 10k sails in 4 orbits, what's the max you've hit? Remember the sails decay after a while.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I have 10k sails in 4 orbits, what's the max you've hit? Remember the sails decay after a while.

Not much, like 1k with a 4-gun battery at the north pole on my starter planet. I mean like, the guns will stop firing at an orbit because I think it's already saturated with sails and there's no more free spot to shoot at? And so you'll have to set another orbit that they can shoot at to create another loop.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Alkydere posted:

When you're approaching red science, hydrogen is a valuable, almost precious material. The moment you get X-Ray cracking and/or start setting up facilities for plastics/organic crystals/sulfuric acid it becomes a waste product you start to burn instead of coal until you can get the REAL power supplies online.

Is there a trick to this? I have X-Ray cracking and the facilities you mention but hydrogen is still kind of a bottleneck. Is there a something I'm missing or maybe I don't have my Refiniery/Oil > Refinery/Xray set up right.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

boz posted:

Is there a trick to this? I have X-Ray cracking and the facilities you mention but hydrogen is still kind of a bottleneck. Is there a something I'm missing or maybe I don't have my Refiniery/Oil > Refinery/Xray set up right.

My gut feel is that the ratio is 4.25~ refineries per well, and then you'll spend the hydrogen on research and the refined oil as fuel most likely. When you hit yellow research and the high-tier mats, presumably also saturating your oil production and processing for research, you then end up needing the refined fuel for manufacturing while hydrogen starts stacking up in a major way. Around that time I imagine for my next run I would then switch my fuel lines around and feed the power plants hydrogen while refined fuel gets siloed off to the chemical refinery line and so on.

It's honestly very mind-boggling, and bear in mind that there's no pipes yet so maybe the current design won't even last.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

boz posted:

Oik doesn't run out. Just slap down more!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For that reason, I kinda don't see the point of X-ray cracking? Like, why spend hydrogen and refined fuel to squeeze out one more unit of hydrogen plus graphite fuel when refined fuel is actually very important to the production chain?

I suppose that's a way to infinitely generate graphite too, which is also necessary for some high-tech manufacturing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ok so first impressions: I actually really like the way the game handles the conveyors and inputters. I dunno why but there's just something really nice about being able to pull off belts and insert/remove that way, as well as link buildings directly and also the way they go faster if you put them closer.

Considering that's the basic element of the game it's really nice that they've, in my mind, improved on the factorio handling of it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they don't add pipes, love watching my perfect cubes of fuel go down the belt

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Agean90 posted:

I hope they don't add pipes, love watching my perfect cubes of fuel go down the belt

They're shiny and wiggly too! Its like little cubes of jello.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As someone who never played Factorio (didn't like how it looks, its a me problem, I know) and only played Satisfactory a bit. I find myself greatly frustrated by these inserters. I wish I could just run the belts straight into the machines.

Some buildings will actually do this, though they come later.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i miss having two "lanes" on a belt but yes overall i love what they've done with belts and inserters

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
BTW, do different kinds of fuel matter for the power generation of thermal power plants? I think I remember hydrogen not being more potent than refined fuel for power plants, although there definitely is a stronger effect when used for powering your mecha.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

boz posted:

As others have stated: initially hydrogen is the all important resource you need because the graphite you get from cracking can be supplemented/made by cooking coal. So you're ripping the fuel apart to get as much hydrogen as possible.

However as you progress down the line you start needing the fuel for other things. So you start setting up more and more oil pumps to make plastics (and bio-crystals) and sulfuric acid. All of these require the refined oil, not the hydrogen. Or if you do need to feed the hydrogen in, you're still making a net positive from the refinement standpoint. Which means you end up with literal tons of the stuff. You're making more and more and more hydrogen as a byproduct and almost looking for something to do with.

toasterwarrior posted:

BTW, do different kinds of fuel matter for the power generation of thermal power plants? I think I remember hydrogen not being more potent than refined fuel for power plants, although there definitely is a stronger effect when used for powering your mecha.

Not really. You'll just get 80% of the fuel value as base power no matter what you shove in. Some things have higher fuel values is all.

The only thing I suggest avoiding is hydrogen cans ("fuel rods") because as far as I can tell they give the same fuel value in the generator as the hydrogen consumed to make them, only with a titanium cost. The hydrogen cans are for your robot with the massive buff they give.

The deuterium cans are just fine to throw into either the robot for massive amounts of power or to throw into a fusion generator.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 24, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alkydere posted:

You're making more and more and more hydrogen as a byproduct and almost looking for something to do with.
And they you learn about deuterium, and it seems to shift again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, I'm at the point where I'm all "oh god I need to make deuterium out of all of this hydrogen I'm drowning in" but now that I have shuttle nodes up and running I have 1,001 other processes I need to take care of converting my planets to produce actual industrial (well baby-industrial, I'm just getting started) quantities of junk.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

One important note about deuterium fractionization: you can just create a loop of 5-10-whatever fractionators and have a splitter prioritizing the loop and feeding in hydrogen as the loop gets converted. There's no 'waste pure hydrogen' here yet; 100% can be converted eventually.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

One important note about deuterium fractionization: you can just create a loop of 5-10-whatever fractionators and have a splitter prioritizing the loop and feeding in hydrogen as the loop gets converted. There's no 'waste pure hydrogen' here yet; 100% can be converted eventually.

I have one of those. I need MORE.

Alternatively I have enough Hydrogen to invest into the collider.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I tell you, both refineries taking up so much space is real tough considering how wild those production chains get.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If you're lucky when you get Gas Giant Refining your nearby gas giant will have Fire Ice, which can be broken into graphite and Hydrogen. And it's unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
A productive evening setting up rows of production using logistics, I've transitioned everything that doesn't require oil products to logistics based production rows, the oil products come tomorrow!

The game does look really great if night with all the factory lights, even if it is really dark otherwise.