Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

It became unplayable when I casually reached level 20, because their whole matchmaking balance scheme is just to put everyone >20 in a separate pool iirc. So if you make it to 20 all of a sudden the game stops being casual drunken fun and instead becomes another competitive pvp game full of tryhards and that's all you'll ever get from it ever again

This is all MMO PVP ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

For Honor, a game no one has played apparently, is very good

When this game came out I remember thinking "It has a halberd guy. Halberds are cool. I want to play the halberd guy". Then I read that the halberd guy was boring and bad so I never tried it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Collapsing Farts posted:

For Honor, a game no one has played apparently, is very good

lol, "that no one has played."

Many, many people have played it. The reason they don't play it anymore is because it sucks poo poo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Someone thought it was a good idea to make a game centered around footsies while placing the camera behind the player without the aid of depth perception

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Way too many games are obsessed with the player character filling up as much of the screen as possible. The Batman games are bad for this, even considering it can be assumed some WB coke-addled empty suits don't understand how it can be Batman if Batman isn't prominently displayed all the time. (see also the box art)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(see also the box art)

Yeah this whole era of box art is dumb

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

lol, "that no one has played."

Many, many people have played it. The reason they don't play it anymore is because it sucks poo poo.

For Honor had (has?) pretty fun game play. Bad netcode (no no no we totally don't need our own servers). lovely menu UI. Dumb currencies (you know the f2p crap were there's like 3 of them) even though it isn't f2p. Some stupid territory war thing. A dumb as gently caress community 1v1 "honorable" duels in a mode that isn't 1v1. I'm probably missing something but if it isn't directly related to killing people it probably was a detriment to the game.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's also it's an online game with a historic theme/setting, so instead of 50% of players being racist chudly shitheads it's closer to 90%.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

signalnoise posted:

Yeah this whole era of box art is dumb

lol what is this garbage youtube thumbnail bullshit

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Ratropolis is a good game. Strange combination of roguelite, city building, card game, tower defense, with some light RTS added for good measure. Seems like an insane combination of nonsense but it actually works and is fun and challenging

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Popoto posted:

lol what is this garbage youtube thumbnail bullshit

that's what i'm sayin

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Play posted:

Very much agree. I liked the first few hours, then bounced off it hard when I realized it was kind of grindy, repetitive, and the combat just didn't interest me that much at all. Not that the combat was too easy or anything, it was just annoying and unfun. And after the major cutscenes at the beginning I could tell the material was getting real stretched in the middle and spontaneously got bored forever

i think the combat is fun, the issue is the worlds never change and the baddie placement is always the same. the world just feels static. there is a reason they show off the ATAT section and beginning of kasheek section first, because those moments feel uncharted like.

New hot take. Kotor 2 is overrated. i like alot of the core concepts and ideas are cool and i like alot of the inversions of star wars. but holy gently caress the character writing gets grating. like i hate "smart" charater writing where everyone talks in riddles or walking around issues and tries to make every sentence sound like a profound thought. like sometimes it works ""It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." but it alot of the times it falls flat. i'lls sound like a moron but the writing often comes off as pretentious. like fallout new vegas, witcher 3, Disco, have loving great character writing and they never run into the problem. i guess my issue is i hate when writers use characters soley as mouth pieces of whatever deep/"deep" lines they can come up with instead of characters. what sucks is alot of the story and ideas are cool, its just the character writing.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 23, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Fallen Order delivered hard on the long neglected "a Star Wars spaceship enters and exits hyperspace near planets" genre.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tight aspirations posted:

Actually, mastering King's 13 stage multi-throw will pretty much redeem my otherwise worthless life, AND make Jenny regret picking that loser, Kevin.

I bet he's a Nina main too, the absolute bastard

Not a lie, I actually once made out with the girlfriend of an absolute bastard Christie dude-bro after beating him. Hadn't played it since 3 but my Ling butterfly stance was still strong. :q:

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

It can't feel good to be the girl who made out with a goon because they beat her boyfriend at the breast physics fighting game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
doa is the one with the titty physics, tekken is the one where shirtless old men punch bears

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

dads_work_files posted:

It can't feel good to be the girl who made out with a goon because they beat her boyfriend at the breast physics fighting game

I went to Tokyo, and on the second night was still super jetlagged at 3am, so wandered into town, went down a sketchy escalator into an arcade hall, and had my rear end handed to me by a stranger at Tekken without either of us saying a word.

It was SO loving GOOD.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As Sakurai tells it, he was inspired to make Smash Bros by when he completely thrashed someone at King of Fighters who turned out to be on a date with his girlfriend and he felt bad about possibly ruining their night out.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

according to a lot of reports I read, smash bros tournaments are a great place to hook up with unaccompanied minors

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

For Honor should have ditched multiplayer entirely and made an actual campaign instead of the long tutorial we've got. There's a great and unique game in there

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Last time I tried to suggest that saying the N word should be a bannable offense in War Thunder someone in the SA thread for the game actually defended Russians not giving a poo poo about the N-word, and no one argued against it.

Even on Something Awful people just accept racism in historic games and it loving sucks

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

related to that, being able to cosplay as a black transgender SS officer in CoD might be actually Good if it dilutes the imagery to make it inspire the modern right wing less

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ruffian Price posted:

related to that, being able to cosplay as a black transgender SS officer in CoD might be actually Good if it dilutes the imagery to make it inspire the modern right wing less

It really doesn't. They love having tokens to 'prove' they're not racist.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ruffian Price posted:

For Honor should have ditched multiplayer entirely and made an actual campaign instead of the long tutorial we've got. There's a great and unique game in there

For honor takes a lot of its combat design from fighting games, and like fighting games playing against AIs is gonna kinda suck
like 80% of your moveset is only there to play mindgames with your opponent, like "trick him into thinking I'll use my unblockable so he tries to parry it and I can punish his whiffed parry, then next time I actually use the unblockable and he eats it because he was expecting the same trick again", and stuff like that
it's cool when you can get inside a real player's head but against a bot it's just like spamming random moves and watching the AI randomly either succeed or fail at defending, there's no real feeling of mixing the AI up or predicting its reactions like there is with a real person

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lmao I just asked how people in the SA thread for War Thunder how they deal with Nazis in game and one of the first responses I got was "It doesn't effect gameplay so ignore it"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's pretty high level play though! For most of us scrubs, simply learning the moveset so we can stop button mashing is a great challenge. (I have no opinions on For Honor itself)

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Shadow of mordor doesn't hold up.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tribal Rival posted:

Agreed. Downloaded Shadow of War thinking it was SoM and it was also not very fun, less fun even.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shadow of war was way too much of more of the same but torturing all the orc personalities was fun for a while

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the best thing in shadow of war was when you had an orc who kept resurrecting and kept coming at you, i just wish it happened more

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Tribal Rival posted:

The controls in both Shadow games drive me up the wall. There's like a full second delay after moving the stick before Talion even begins to move.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it kind of annoyed me how they didnt quite go all out with the source material. it wasnt faithful but i wouldve accepted an all-out bullshit version of tolkien and just sacrificing anything to make the game better and cooler. instead it was sort of halfway, not quite like the books or movies but also not quite breakdancing orcs and elven kung fu

in fact i think the game wouldve worked better as a martial arts game rather than a weapons brawler, because that would let you beat the crap out of orcs and have them come back all the time, which is a much harder sell when you can just cut their heads off with your sword

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

shelob and talion shouldve had an interactive sex scene where she turns back into a spider halfway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the humiliation stuff was a missed opportunity, you just sort of shake them around and shout at them in a fixed animation while it wouldve been much cooler if the humiliation followed organically from the way you beat them in combat

orc with a bandana who made up some rap lyrics to diss you before you kick him in the nuts to humiliate him in front of his buddies

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

shelob and talion shouldve had an interactive sex scene where she turns back into a spider halfway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it should start out like hot coffee or those god of war sex minigames where you're basically mashing buttons to gently caress, but halfway in it's giant spider time and you have to use similar button mashing minigames to escape from her with your pants on your ankles as she chases you down a tunnel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shadows of Mowardor really suffers from the player character(s) being by far the least interesting part of the game.

What it really needs is a mode where you play as an Orc.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Wanna play as gollum. You move the same way as Alien in AvP and it's an open world collectathon but you only look for one item

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sam Gamgee's Overcooked! Boil, mash, and stew potatoes while avoiding Nazguls in the kitchen and smacking orcs with frying pans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tom Bombadil's Farming Simulator