Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

rydiafan posted:

One theory is that they just hosed up and selected the wrong instrument. Here's what it sounds like it you replace the trumpet with something else.

https://youtu.be/9oByTUQjCFg
I've heard that theory before but never listened to the track with the trumpet replaced. This... actually sounds really cool and creepy. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I appreciate in Cities Skylines when you plop down roads or buildings and adjusts the terrain, you can bulldoze it and it'll revert the terrain to what it was before.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza 7

This is a super duper minor thing that I think is cool.

Later into the game there's a cutscene of two of the villains talking. One of them wears glasses and the background is blurry but if you look at it through his glasses then it's completely clear.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What game is that?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza 7

This is a super duper minor thing that I think is cool.

Later into the game there's a cutscene of two of the villains talking. One of them wears glasses and the background is blurry but if you look at it through his glasses then it's completely clear.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is just because their renderer isn't able to render the depth-of-field/out of focus blur through transparent objects.
If you keep an eye out you'll see it regularly happen with drinking glasses and the like as well, it's just rare for transparent/glass objects to be super obvious in a scene that also uses a high amount of background blurring.

Also to hop back like 2 decades, I've recently been playing a bit of a Chrono Trigger randomizer run, and I still really appreciate all the little things that go into the courtroom scene early on in the game.
(The game keeps track of a couple small things you do in the prologue of the game, and the things you do get used against you to prove your character in a courtroom scene where you're accused of kidnapping the princess.
You can end up with the court declaring you not-guilty, but the guy that accused you will doctor your case to set up an execution regardless, because their criminal system is horrid and backwards. )

It very much is a game of a lot of small, neat things, and I'd kind of forgotten most of them since it's been over a decade+ since the last time I played it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bony tony posted:

What game is that?

It's Vigil: The Longest Night, a 2D Soulstroidvania ala Salt & Sanctuary. I liked it quite a lot! One of the most underrated games of the past year.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

SubNat posted:

Also to hop back like 2 decades, I've recently been playing a bit of a Chrono Trigger randomizer run, and I still really appreciate all the little things that go into the courtroom scene early on in the game.
(The game keeps track of a couple small things you do in the prologue of the game, and the things you do get used against you to prove your character in a courtroom scene where you're accused of kidnapping the princess.
You can end up with the court declaring you not-guilty, but the guy that accused you will doctor your case to set up an execution regardless, because their criminal system is horrid and backwards. )

I love how most of the things that get used against you are essentially "acting like an RPG player". Stealing anything that isn't nailed down etc

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Pick up the glowing plot trinket before talking to the girl you bumped into? That's a death penalty

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Talk to a girl who's lost her cat and you -don't- bother finding it for her? Death penalty. (justified)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Denied the strength of Gonzales/the metal joints of Gato? Not illegal, but still frowned upon!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SubNat posted:

Talk to a girl who's lost her cat and you -don't- bother finding it for her? Death penalty. (justified)

On the other hand, if you do find it, she testifies on your behalf. :3:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Really the best practice to avoid execution is to not speak or interact with anyone, in video games AND real-life

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Really the best practice to avoid execution is to not speak or interact with anyone, in video games AND real-life

Unless there's a cat involved

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

haveblue posted:

Unless there's a cat involved

Well s***. I am now trapped in an infinite hellscape of interacting with everyone on the internet that has ever posted a cat picture or video on the off chance that it saves me from execution later. is life truly worth this price?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
In the Berlin level of Hitman 3 they perfectly capture the way music sounds from outside a nightclub, then inside as you move through the building to the dancefloor. It's done so well. The atmosphere and design of that level is spot on.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Well s***. I am now trapped in an infinite hellscape of interacting with everyone on the internet that has ever posted a cat picture or video on the off chance that it saves me from execution later. is life truly worth this price?

Why would you want to not die? I don't understand.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Danger - Octopus! posted:

In the Berlin level of Hitman 3 they perfectly capture the way music sounds from outside a nightclub, then inside as you move through the building to the dancefloor. It's done so well. The atmosphere and design of that level is spot on.

poo poo they have a Berlin level? I never got into the hit man games but I miss the clubs here and that sounds rad as hell. Guess I should get hit man 3 and finally see what it's all about

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney posted:

poo poo they have a Berlin level? I never got into the hit man games but I miss the clubs here and that sounds rad as hell. Guess I should get hit man 3 and finally see what it's all about

It's a nightclub in a disused power plant, so it's v Berlin. Doesn't have any of the city streets though, sadly. The games have an overarching plot so that might be a bit confusing if you start with 3. They're good fun though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SubNat posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is just because their renderer isn't able to render the depth-of-field/out of focus blur through transparent objects.
If you keep an eye out you'll see it regularly happen with drinking glasses and the like as well, it's just rare for transparent/glass objects to be super obvious in a scene that also uses a high amount of background blurring.

It very much is a game of a lot of small, neat things, and I'd kind of forgotten most of them since it's been over a decade+ since the last time I played it.

Woah wait there's a chrono trigger randomizer???

Got a link? It's my all time favorite game that I know front to back, I'd be insanely into that!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's a nightclub in a disused power plant, so it's v Berlin. Doesn't have any of the city streets though, sadly. The games have an overarching plot so that might be a bit confusing if you start with 3. They're good fun though

I have other games on my plate but I'll look out for a collection of all 3 then, should be available in a while :)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Son of Rodney posted:

I have other games on my plate but I'll look out for a collection of all 3 then, should be available in a while :)

Weirdly the previous two are just available as DLC for the 3rd, like you just load up the old game's levels with all their cutscenes and poo poo just with 3's engine improvements and gameplay changes. I think the second was delayed while they figure poo poo out with EGS (cause they want the Hitman 2 levels to be free for anyone who owned Hitman 2 on Steam) but the first game's levels were being offered free to anybody who bought Hitman 3 last I checked.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

also the overarching story is like "here's three dumb organizations names, they're all infighting, whatever, this is the world's richest endangered animal poacher, please kill them with an exploding rubber duck" so you really aren't missing much even when they try to make you think you might be

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only other series I've seen do that with combining all the games under one engine umbrella is Serious Sam and it's an awesome idea. Even more impressive for Serious Sam imo given how radically different 3 is from the others. They're so interchangeable thanks to Fusion that you can use the console or map editor to drop in weapons from any of the games into any of the others and it's nuts.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 24, 2021

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
The Lego Ninjago Movie: The water looks really nice, it's like if you put actual legos in a bathtub.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Woah wait there's a chrono trigger randomizer???

Got a link? It's my all time favorite game that I know front to back, I'd be insanely into that!

There's 2 actually! https://www.reddit.com/r/CTRandomizer/comments/cv2l24/list_of_chrono_trigger_randomizers/
You have a standard, old-style randomizer: Eternal darkness which is a basic one that just flips around items and etc as you'd expect. Doesn't touch any key items etc, so it's the standard game with a couple item/equipment/stats wrenches thrown in.

But there's also Wings of time -> Jets of Time which turns the game into an open-world RPG where you start with the Epoch and 3 random team members, and then progress through the world and unlock time periods.
It's designed so that it's possible to do Lavos runs in 2-3 hours apparently. (It's much like the Super Mario Open world one, but dungeons and time periods are gated behind a bit of progression.)

I tried it, but then I realized that my memory of the game is too foggy for something like that, as I don't have all the key item locations and etc memorized / was unsure how to flip some flags.

So now I'm just playing a normal randomizer run of the game with SWOLE MARLE and started-with-12 speed, and got Taban's +2 speed vest + silverstud Robo.
But Jets of Time is kind of neat in that it just carefully wrenches out most cutscenes and etc, so it very much is pure gameplay in a pretty interesting fashion, it might be very relevant if you're already familiar with the game.

Son of Rodney posted:

If you're on pc, I believe buying Hitman3 on the epic store means you get the Hitman1 Goty for free, and can buy the Hitman2 goty for -80%? I think they did it because of (rights issues? publishing issues?) issues that prevented them from letting steam users transfer their owned games into Hitman3, like they originally wanted.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Jan 24, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The blowback made them scramble to get it working so you don't have to pay a second time for Hitman 2, but it's not currently available; they're still working on it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SubNat posted:

There's 2 actually! https://www.reddit.com/r/CTRandomizer/comments/cv2l24/list_of_chrono_trigger_randomizers/
You have a standard, old-style randomizer: Eternal darkness which is a basic one that just flips around items and etc as you'd expect. Doesn't touch any key items etc, so it's the standard game with a couple item/equipment/stats wrenches thrown in.

But there's also Wings of time -> Jets of Time which turns the game into an open-world RPG where you start with the Epoch and 3 random team members, and then progress through the world and unlock time periods.
It's designed so that it's possible to do Lavos runs in 2-3 hours apparently. (It's much like the Super Mario Open world one, but dungeons and time periods are gated behind a bit of progression.)

I tried it, but then I realized that my memory of the game is too foggy for something like that, as I don't have all the key item locations and etc memorized / was unsure how to flip some flags.

So now I'm just playing a normal randomizer run of the game with SWOLE MARLE and started-with-12 speed, and got Taban's +2 speed vest + silverstud Robo.
But Jets of Time is kind of neat in that it just carefully wrenches out most cutscenes and etc, so it very much is pure gameplay in a pretty interesting fashion, it might be very relevant if you're already familiar with the game.

If you're on pc, I believe buying Hitman3 on the epic store means you get the Hitman1 Goty for free, and can buy the Hitman2 goty for -80%? I think they did it because of (rights issues? publishing issues?) issues that prevented them from letting steam users transfer their owned games into Hitman3, like they originally wanted.

this rules and i am gonna boot up some more chrono trigger now

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The blowback made them scramble to get it working so you don't have to pay a second time for Hitman 2, but it's not currently available; they're still working on it.

Yeah, it's very unfortunate and I wonder what the cause of it is. (Maybe Steam isn't happy over 'steam licenses' getting used to unlock content on a different marketplace?)
IO is probably getting a ton of poo poo for it on top of the fact that they're Epic exclusive for a year.

Sally posted:

this rules and i am gonna boot up some more chrono trigger now

:yeah:
Apparently the prison quest just takes the character in the first slot, so it's very possible you get Marle getting imprisoned over the alleged kidnapping of Marle, which is very sensible.
I wish Jets of time also had a palette swapper/randomizer like Eternal Darkness, it would be kinda neat with hand-curated palette swaps for characters.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mamkute posted:

The Lego Ninjago Movie: The water looks really nice, it's like if you put actual legos in a bathtub.

I was thinking the same thing when I was playing it with my son. We 100%'d it and he was so proud :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

They always said it would be free so this last minute weirdness is very odd. I feel like the IOI account stuff should basically make the save transfer platform neutral, so I really don't know what went on there

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I guess there’s a scene in AC: Odyssey at the end which is similar to Mass Effect 2 where you’ll see a scene with all the characters who survived the game. I played the game as a hyper aggressive person who chose to kill before all else and it was very fitting for the ending to be me sitting at the table by myself and six empty seats.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I guess it's more the entire game than a little thing, but the moment in Resident Evil 7's End of Zoe DLC where you realize it's entirely centered around you being a no-weapon hillbilly punchman is so good, especially after the main game being centered around a relatively tense story. It's tied for the best thing in the franchise in my mind, which has gotta make it eligible for a "best DLC ever" award or something.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jan 25, 2021

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope that DLC isn't the last time we see that character. Chris "Rock Puncher" Redfield better hire Joe Baker, Gator Wrestler.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

marshmallow creep posted:

I hope that DLC isn't the last time we see that character. Chris "Rock Puncher" Redfield better hire Joe Baker, Gator Wrestler.

Jon Don Baker is in a Resident Evil game????!!!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

verbal enema posted:

Jon Don Baker is in a Resident Evil game????!!!!!

🎶You better ru-u-unnn🎶

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
When I got my PS5 I also got DMC5: Special Edition. Because it's the SE of a pretty recent game, I was still playing the regular edition when I got it, so it was a bit annoying to have to unlock everything again, but the SE additions make it so easy to bring myself back to speed. I'm pretty sure it's only by chance, but it works really really well. If you've had a bit of practice already, you can tackle the Legendary Dark Knight difficulty from the start, which spawns like 10 times as many enemies as the regular Hard difficulty, and make like 100k red orbs per level. Red orbs are also shared between characters (like the old games), so someone going from DMC5 to DMC5:SE would probably start with Vergil (the new character) on LDK and get millions of orbs in the process, then go back to Nero/V/Dante and buy all of their moves right from the start. It's not perfect since you still have to unlock a couple of things individually (and I'll be visiting the other thread to talk about it), but it's good enough to make the transition to the SE a lot more pleasant.

Other not so little things:

The PS5 makes the game load a billion times faster which fixes the only major flaw of DMC5.

Vergil is super fun to use. I haven't played long enough to say how balanced he is, but while he seems to still be pretty overpowered, it at least looks like they balanced Judgement Cut End to use more DT (and Sin DT).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I guess there’s a scene in AC: Odyssey at the end which is similar to Mass Effect 2 where you’ll see a scene with all the characters who survived the game. I played the game as a hyper aggressive person who chose to kill before all else and it was very fitting for the ending to be me sitting at the table by myself and six empty seats.

Be glad that you killed Stentor. I ended up with him and Nikolaos at the table and it was the worst thing ever.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing a bunch of Mark of Kri, the ps2 2002 stealthy-actiony game, and really like the environmental variety (am at the penultimate level, saving the child from the volcano that starts with a sunken ruin area on the way).

I love that you strip the lategame enemies of their armour as you attack them before you actually start doing damage, it's very satisfying to watch it fly off and reduce what was once a terrifying foe to a basic mook who will then die like the rest. Also if you do a killing blow style move like a ground stab, the other enemies involved flinch. Also the loading screens own, they are so expressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something interesting about Stentor is that if you fight him in Boetia but spare his life, he wanders around as Stentor the Fallen, a high level mercenary. You can then recruit him to be on your ship, and if you keep him around until the end of the family storyline, he’ll then get upgraded to legendary lieutenant status. He won’t, however, appear in the ending cutscene. It’s funny to imagine him sitting on the ship while you and everyone else eat at home.