Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, it's a valid vote but it's also poorly understanding the electoral system. If you're the rare Irish Nationalist in Belfast East & vote Sinn Fein X you've wasted your vote. But if use your vote as intended then it'll in the end count against a 3rd DUP MLA, or a PUP MLA, whatever.

I think that's showing levels of political engagement rather than about the voting system. If there's one party that's won you over or you are a tribal voter than that's what you want and putting time and thought into how less bad the others are or could be and listing that isn't how people engage with politics. The number of tactical voters has to be pretty insignificant compared to those who want to vote for the winner in any system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JohnSpringford/status/1353103962514337793/photo/1

The Tories are trying to turn *me* into a Scottish nationalist, FFS.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Will be pretty funny if the Tories keep flailing at the "woke left" and continue to ignore the material conditions driving independence movements. Well, maybe less "funny", more "insanely predictable"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

namesake posted:

So long as it counts as a valid vote though then that's saying 'This party or I don't care who'. Not taking the time to rank a list of 5 or so when you don't really care at all isn't really a problem.

yeah it can be taken as a first preference vote if there's just one X but the point is that so many people don't understand how such a simple (but very important) thing works

and if those people understood how it works and why ranking in order of preference matters, and the difference it can make to the outcome of STV elections, they would probably vote differently

crispix fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 24, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Seems like they understand that they only give a poo poo about one party.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you don't know that for sure, i think educating people about how to vote is a good thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao at this being peston finally attempting journlaism

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1353313494335164416?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you could even do it in a way thick people can understand - have mrs brown demonstrate the differences between fptp and stv voting with hilarious and bawdy anecdotes oooooh ah fell on me erse bajaysis fock nyehehehehhhh like that

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Just saw Norwegian news talking about "the English virus", sad to see divisive scotnat language making headway even here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

you don't know that for sure, i think educating people about how to vote is a good thing

Yeah, but one of the points of non-FPTP systems is supposed to be to stop the need for tactical voting, and requiring people to spend two hours with a ready reckoner to work out the least-bad outcome of their vote seems like the opposite.

I don't actually know if there *is* a way of designing a voting system that doesn't end up with these endless edge cases - even pure PR ends up with parties (and voters) playing silly buggers with the tail end of their party lists - but I don't think you can criticise a voter if the voting system requires them to do more than decide "this is the person/party I want to represent me".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

Just saw Norwegian news talking about "the English virus", sad to see divisive scotnat language making headway even here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxEtNM9au5E

natIOnAlIsm IS A dIseaSe

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jose posted:

lmao at this being peston finally attempting journlaism

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1353313494335164416?s=20
desperately redefining the laws of physics so he can continue to believe the government pr team is telling him the truth about everything

also, i desperately wish for bojo's thumbs to just fall off, wither away, liquefy, whatever. get rid of them! i'm sick of the loving things!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, but one of the points of non-FPTP systems is supposed to be to stop the need for tactical voting, and requiring people to spend two hours with a ready reckoner to work out the least-bad outcome of their vote seems like the opposite.

I don't actually know if there *is* a way of designing a voting system that doesn't end up with these endless edge cases - even pure PR ends up with parties (and voters) playing silly buggers with the tail end of their party lists - but I don't think you can criticise a voter if the voting system requires them to do more than decide "this is the person/party I want to represent me".

i wasn't suggesting anything like that, just that if people voting in STV elections thinking it's a FPTP system knew they had the option to pick other preferences some likely would

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

big scary monsters posted:

I visited Ely the one time and my impressions were: lol this is not a city; why did they build this town on a swamp; I think Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers lives here?*

*apparently he doesn't any more, died of covid

It's a Cathedral City.

It has a Cathedral.

It's a nice place to go sometimes, it's a pretty good Cathedral and the area down by the river is good too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

wooger posted:

Does it? Seems no more of an issue than any other area, and the results are far more predictable.
Scotland is not 1/3rd of the UK, more like 1/10th.
Every election I can remember since 2010, the tories have wheeled out some variant of 'What if Labour make a deal with the perfidious scots?? Do you want them secretly running the country?!? They'll deep fry your bins Norman! THE BINS FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!'

There is a grim humour to the fact that the Tories have consistently managed to equate the SNP breaking up the union with voting Labour, and the two times it's been closest to happening (indyref and now) have been under Tory rule.

Partly I think because the tories make such a huge deal of it, their friends in the press follow suit, and it becomes an issue. Billboards of Alex Salmond with Gordon Brown / Ed Milliband in his pocket aren't cheap, and were well known enough for Momentum to parody them with Farage / Boris IIRC.

Also geographically Scotland does take up just under a 3rd of the UK according to wikipedia . Maybe not in terms of population or vote share, but that's all land, landowners have power, and we are kind of fond of having access to their offshore gas and hiding nuclear power stations up there instead of in nice, visible English places. Even as 'empty' space it still has a huge draw on the UK overall.

Also just to go back to this:

OwlFancier posted:

A thing I am definitely doing, yes.
Not you, but a few pages before your post someone was literally saying "Nationalism is just racism, scotpol people should leave and go back to their own thread," though I can't find it now, so maybe I just missed the irony.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i would make voting mandatory and have classes on voting and citizenship for the children and a 24 hour learning zone (:rip:) channel for adults

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i find it just very sad that the youth of today will never have the experience of waking up on the sofa of a sunday morning next to a half eaten curry chips and fried rice in a foil carton and an almost empty pint glass belonging to a pub, with the television on, and the first thing that comes to mind is some newly acquired information about glaciers or gender and sexuality in victorian england

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can have far more interesting things to wake up to if you leave youtube on autoplay.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Vitamin P posted:

Good post otherwise but good lord what do you think the livespan of human beings is? Absolute gen x erasure itt

vince was actually born in 1960, according to wikipedia he's five years too old

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The thing is, STV is pretty intuitive, I don't think it does take 2 hours to understand it. You just stick a 1 next to the good guys & then throw other numbers next to other parties so you can put UKIP/BNP/NF/Tories last depending on who is running in your constituency.

I dunno, it feels like having a say in how your country is run is a pretty big decision & not being willing to put a tiny bit of effort in before voting is kind of irresponsible. You don't have to read every manifesto but gently caress, would be nice if people could think for 5 minutes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dead Goon posted:

It's a Cathedral City.

It has a Cathedral.

It's a nice place to go sometimes, it's a pretty good Cathedral and the area down by the river is good too.

My experience of Ely is "changed a train there, which was great because the train I was on had a leaky window, the only seat on board was at that leak & it was a table that was a wee pond & any time the train accelerated or decelerated a load of water ended up in my lap. Ah, privatised railways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You can have far more interesting things to wake up to if you leave youtube on autoplay.
Start of with dadrock and wake up to Elsa Spiderman Finger Family Final Solution.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CGI Stardust posted:

desperately redefining the laws of physics so he can continue to believe the government pr team is telling him the truth about everything

also, i desperately wish for bojo's thumbs to just fall off, wither away, liquefy, whatever. get rid of them! i'm sick of the loving things!

No I mean hes actually right on this one. It looks bloody weird but the phone is actually to the side of him, not in front, which is why it looks like its going straight down in the mirror.

The picture is still staged loving garbage, but the rest of the pose is identical in the mirror, there would be no reason to photoshop it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, cable is headed towards the mirror forming a catenary curve, so it looks straight down but bending weirdly outwards in the mirror at the angle the camera is.

All far more likely than the government putting that much effort into a photoshop with a mirror boris dressed identically but holding a phone differently.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

serious gaylord posted:

No I mean hes actually right on this one. It looks bloody weird but the phone is actually to the side of him, not in front, which is why it looks like its going straight down in the mirror.

The picture is still staged loving garbage, but the rest of the pose is identical in the mirror, there would be no reason to photoshop it.

It's obviously a staged photo anyway and so no reason at all to resort to photoshop. Also Pesto doesn't seem able to see that reflection of the cable running down the anti-Boris' shirt front.

So much other important stuff Pesto could get worked up about, but he chooses this!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sloth Life posted:

Can confirm. I was put on a plan because I had too many days off sick (MH not regulated by meds at that time). The plan lasted a year and I got grilled every sick day by that boss. I'm pretty sure it went on my record because it was brought up at every 121 that year.

Oh, I've also had employer observation therapy. I tell them every loving time - you want me to get better, then keep the gently caress away

the ones who think they mean well, or think they appear to mean well, are the worst. "oh but i'm so 'worried' for u, so not you both need to show improvement and pretend to be thankful or I'll act offendedl, twist my volume knob and start my questions from the top again"

gently caress bosses, they're filth

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Start of with dadrock and wake up to Elsa Spiderman Finger Family Final Solution.

i don't know what that is but you never see finger sandwiches these days, do you

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Juche Couture posted:

When I came back to work my HR asked ‘how I could avoid similar absences in the future’. Given that I’d been off with Covid and work in a hospital, I just asked if that was a serious question and if I could have the name of their supervisor, which seemed to poo poo them right up.

lmao

"I will avoid similar situations in the future by having lots of anti-bodies against covid. I have already taken the necessary precautions by developing these anti-bodies. Please schedule a meeting with my memory T-cells if you would like further details."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

They don’t need photoshop to fake a picture of Boris being in the phone. They just go into his office and have him hold the phone up to his fat face.

E: in other news, it’s only loving snowing, lads!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
SNOWPOCALYPSE

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's settling! :supaburn:

crispix posted:

i don't know what that is but you never see finger sandwiches these days, do you
The woke left banned them :mad:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My apologies, I checked the Express for the latest on this major snow incident and it's not a snowpocalypse, it's THUNDERSNOW

quote:

Shocked residents took to Twitter, and one even thought there had been an explosion.

One user wrote: “Woken up by Thundersnow? It takes a lot to wake me but was that loud.”

A second added: “OK sounds like its thundersnow, but for a second there I genuinely did think apocalypse.”

thanks express for the twitter reckons

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

serious gaylord posted:

yeah, you're right. my bad, not thinking properly today. except about his thumbs, which i am correct about and will continue to be correct about, wretched things

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I still can't believe that the genuine small business advice for dealing with the border red tape is to incorporate in Europe.

How about we all just incorporate in Europe. We could move the whole country to be part of Europe even then there'd be no red tape for anyone. That'd be crazy radical though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Form some kind of union.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

"locals fearing explosion" lmao.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Is it just me or has the use of 'wokery' increased tenfold in the Gutter Press in the last few weeks? Did Gammon Churchill-Shagger get bored of namby pamby Elf N Safety? Genuinely never even heard the word used in real-life.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Three or four inches here, and still going.

I love the snow, and since I moved up here we’ve had more snow days than non, it feels like. Makes me excited like a little kid every time, too.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1353078801966583811?s=20

So, latest polling suggests SNP voters still don't understand how to vote tactically under the AMS. loving dunces.

It's weird as I'm sure there was a period in the early days of the parliament where people generally split their vote as Labour/SNP or Labour/LibDem to effectively freeze out the Tories. The 'Both Votes SNP' tactic is paying off I guess, though could you imagine the salty Yoons if a tactical SNP/Green majority was the landslide winner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pencils R Cool posted:

Is it just me or has the use of 'wokery' increased tenfold in the Gutter Press in the last few weeks? Did Gammon Churchill-Shagger get bored of namby pamby Elf N Safety? Genuinely never even heard the word used in real-life.

It's been slowly building, but yeah, theres been a flurry lately. Especially poo poo like this wonderful irregular verb

When I rename things for political reasons its defending my culture, when you do it its virtue signalling wokery.