Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Did some googling and wow... you really can't share quest progress? What a complete piece of poo poo. Why even bother releasing the content or calling it multiplayer? Truly baffling how anyone could release a game in this state. Shameful.

Do not get Fallout 76 if you plan on playing with a friend. We would return it if we could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
My partner and I play together, for instances we just solo them, while talking poo poo about the quest plot and pointing out good loot.

We usually finish at about the same time.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Did some googling and wow... you really can't share quest progress? What a complete piece of poo poo. Why even bother releasing the content or calling it multiplayer? Truly baffling how anyone could release a game in this state. Shameful.

Do not get Fallout 76 if you plan on playing with a friend. We would return it if we could.

The old main story with the scorched plague is completely doable with several players, but a lot of the newer Wastelanders & BoS main quests is solo only. I get why they did it, but I wish there was an option to progress through those quests together, even if it meant that somebody else could mess up your story.

edit: also ho,ly poo poo do not pay 2500 caps for the weapon shipment in Foundation, you don't get anything, not even any settler rep

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Joke's on me for trying to play on patch day, but I love not being able to check my inventory from the Pip-Boy without crashing to desktop every single time.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Howard Beale posted:

Joke's on me for trying to play on patch day, but I love not being able to check my inventory from the Pip-Boy without crashing to desktop every single time.
do you have any mods installed? Better Inventory was making me crash, removing it fixed it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is FO76's nuclear winter mode dead for PC players? Takes me a long time to find a match, and when I do its 20 people. USWest on Gamepass for PC, if it matters.

e: also whats a good way to get more caps? Im level 42 and chronically poor.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 27, 2021

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

buglord posted:

Is FO76's nuclear winter mode dead for PC players? Takes me a long time to find a match, and when I do its 20 people. USWest on Gamepass for PC, if it matters.

Depends on the time. There's definitely a dead zone between the russians going to bed and the americans coming home from work, where you can wait for a long while before you get a game.

As for caps, get to level 50 and do Daily Ops, scorched earths/a collossal problem for legendaries you can sell to vendors and stable flux which players buys for stupid amount of caps (like 3-400 each).

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

buglord posted:

The Nuclear Winter daily chore also impacts player numbers. If its something easy like "Survive 10 Minutes" or "Use a stimpak" then a lot of players will join in. However, hard ones like "Kill another player" or "Revive another player" tend to keep people away.

As for caps, what are you spending money on? Never buy ammo or chems form NPC vendors. Ammo and stimpaks can be easily farmed from Daily Ops. Also go easy on buying plans/recipes until you have more money.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

MH Knights posted:

The Nuclear Winter daily chore also impacts player numbers. If its something easy like "Survive 10 Minutes" or "Use a stimpak" then a lot of players will join in. However, hard ones like "Kill another player" or "Revive another player" tend to keep people away.

As for caps, what are you spending money on? Never buy ammo or chems form NPC vendors. Ammo and stimpaks can be easily farmed from Daily Ops. Also go easy on buying plans/recipes until you have more money.

Or just shop around until you find those awesome people selling them for like 10 caps.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I am currently running a Rifleman build, but I am wondering if Commando build would be better? My go to weapon seems to be either my handmade or my legacy two-shot explosive lever action when going against boss monsters.

I can't run bloodied because I'm just not good enough at shooters to gently caress with it. I've only rolled non-helpful junkie gear, like pipe weapons and rolling pins so that is currently off the table as well.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
TSE isnt legacy.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Twincityhacker posted:

I am currently running a Rifleman build, but I am wondering if Commando build would be better? My go to weapon seems to be either my handmade or my legacy two-shot explosive lever action when going against boss monsters.

I can't run bloodied because I'm just not good enough at shooters to gently caress with it. I've only rolled non-helpful junkie gear, like pipe weapons and rolling pins so that is currently off the table as well.

I'm looking forward to an answer to this as well.

Last time I heard on Reddit, rifleman was bad and commando was the new hotness. Though sometimes those guys take an mmo-style view on things where only the min-maxed builds are promoted and anything that gets even slightly less DPS gets called trash.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My rifleman build pops heads all the time. My instigating black powder rifle is strong enough that with a headshot I can take down a super mutant primis or whatever they are called in one hit. I love it

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Rifleman is ok, but commando has so much more dps because of clip size and reload time. I run a bloodied stealth vats commando. I just hit q (vats button) and burst fire at the head. Most things go down in 2 shots. Even if I wasnt bloodied it might be 4 or 5 shots tops for most normal enemies. 4 or 5 shots is literally 1 second of a mouse click and the best clips hold 25 rounds. This is all head shots in vats with concentrated fire (perception perk) and several vats perks in luck.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just finished FO1 and 2 over the course of January and now I'm moving onto a replay of FO3 and the New Vegas. I'm kind of glad to be done with 1 and 2. The storyline and tone of the setting were really well done but I did not really care for the difficulty of the combat. The difficulty started out really hard, then got super easy, except for the parts where I would just die due to a random crit through my power armor.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thoughts on 3 from the NV thread, on that note: finished Point Lookout, so I can now finally say I've done all of the main content in FO3, along with almost all of the side quests and unmarked content. Verdict: wow PL is way worse than the reputation it was given for story and really lives up to the poor gameplay. Was actually really surprised getting to the end of Meeting of the Minds and it just being... over. Internally went "that's it? really?". Velvet Curtain and the hallucination sequence were both supposed to be "really great" and ultimately didn't end up being much of anything.

Ah well. I can write it off as done now and probably uninstall it. I still have yet to go back to 1 and 2, I own them and just... haven't gotten around to it. Other things higher on my list and the jank intensifies the further back in the series.

Also the awful wiki really needs a cleanup project organized. Constantly finding things either inaccurate to the cited sources or completely lacking sources, and even some of the transcripts for holotapes are inaccurate to the audio AND subtitles. Unfortunately just one person without unlimited time or any GECK-related knowledge to pull the raw files on everything.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm the sections in the Fallout Wiki that have maybe 20% canon sources and the rest are Van Buren non-canon lore that's in gray text.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So despite the waiting time for The Frontier and the obvious success in things like vehicles... It's a massive pile of poo poo. Just... everything about it is bad aside from a few choice setpieces and a handful of decent voice acted lines.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Vargatron posted:

I'm the sections in the Fallout Wiki that have maybe 20% canon sources and the rest are Van Buren non-canon lore that's in gray text.

Sounds about right. I'm talking things like people editing the Sheepsquatch audio tape transcript so they can claim "assaultron bestiality" (which didn't need an edit to claim, the edit just made it look more real), the "water system sewn into the Elite Riot Gear duster" (with no source or anything provided), whatever ended up happening with the edit war over Mister Handy manufacturing... I corrected the first one, left the second until I or someone else can verify the original sources, and the third one got settled at some point. But there's still plenty of entirely unsourced sections or full pages on that wiki that get cited as gospel.

Rule number 1 of talking Fallout lore, "don't play the games you're talking about", I guess.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I recall the Fallout Bible was treated as, well, a holy text by those sites. It's annoying because the lore and story is what's in the games, not what Chris Avellone posted on a message board on his lunch break. That can be useful for, like, reconciling plot holes between games or something ("Super Mutants are sterile but Marcus made a comment about impregnating a prostitute?!" "Oh, Marcus was joking" etc) but the game is what actually counts

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of lore, reading the Fallout Bible entries is very interesting. Especially how the genesis of the FEV is essentially a viral vaccination program that got weaponized. Also the whole thing about the Vaults being government experiments instead of shelters until the nuclear winter ended.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I see things are going well with Fallout Frontier

https://twitter.com/seinfelddahog/status/1354562046575173634

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

2house2fly posted:

I recall the Fallout Bible was treated as, well, a holy text by those sites. It's annoying because the lore and story is what's in the games, not what Chris Avellone posted on a message board on his lunch break. That can be useful for, like, reconciling plot holes between games or something ("Super Mutants are sterile but Marcus made a comment about impregnating a prostitute?!" "Oh, Marcus was joking" etc) but the game is what actually counts

That's part of the mixed feelings I have on Sawyer's discussions here as a source, too- yeah, about as valid for canon as a "normal" developer interview, but I don't think I'd source SA for a lore bible even if he's done a great job of filling in holes and clearing up inconsistencies.
Unsurprisingly, they rarely get cited as gospel, though (other venues do - unsurprisingly the archive paywall & differing demographics may be doing something there). Avellone gets way more of the "word of God" treatment. Shame considering what a shitheel he turned out to be.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

And yet he was only an artist and had nothing to do with all the interspecies sex and rape that is in the mod.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also did I understand correctly in FO2 that the reason why radscorpions and geckos mutating was exposure to the FEV and not just the radiation? My understanding was that FEV got released into the atmosphere when a warhead hit the upper level of the Mariposa Military Base and basically everybody has been exposed to it as a result. Both human and creature.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Also due to some corporate loving about with the FEV, if 76 is to be believed.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://beth.games/36jSn0v

F76 PTS next week:

- Loadouts and re-spec
- CAMP Slots = "loadouts" for your CAMP, with their own budgets etc. (Still limited to only one active CAMP at a time)
- New modes, locations, modifiers, enemies for Daily Ops
- Batch crafting
- Aim assist for controllers
- New events in activity menu in addition to Daily Ops, including nuke zones
- Melee attack improvements

Scrip Surplus weekend in live game. Amount to trade will increase to 300 but this will be limited to special weekend events

Roman fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 28, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I've given this game a lot of poo poo but since wastelanders things have improved a whole loving lot

the last 2 patches fixed a ton of poo poo and made some (badly needed) QOL improvements, the multiple CAMP thing is gonna mean I get to build forever and buy more dumb nuka cola drapes from the atom shop or whatever

loving poo poo

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

TheAgent posted:

the multiple CAMP thing is gonna mean I get to build forever and buy more dumb nuka cola drapes from the atom shop or whatever
I corrected that post. You can still only have one active CAMP at a time, but now you can have multiple ones saved, each with their own budget. They basically seem like improved Blueprints.

So you can delete your fancy cottage and easily replace it with a prefab Red Rocket then delete that and go back to the cottage (or some third or fourth thing), but only one can exist in the world

Roman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 28, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

I corrected that post. You can still only have one active CAMP at a time, but now you can have multiple ones saved, each with their own budget. They basically seem like improved Blueprints.
yeah, I know what it means (its been in discussion a long time but I thought they would never get the dev time to do it). not having to knock down my little "town" I spent like 40 hours decorating means I can experiment with other camp designs and locations without worrying about redoing everything if it doesn't work out

its a huge thing for idiots like me who 1) still play this dumb rear end broken poo poo game and 2) build things using this broken as gently caress CAMP building system where things should take like 10 minutes to get right but instead take about 3 hours

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The only problem I've had with CAMP building is when you add a small item near something larger by mistake, then want to delete it, but you can't select it. I have a hanging light bulb on my Red Rocket prefab which I can never get rid of unless I delete the whole structure

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well I'm glad they're adding re-specs, because I've just been winging it on my first character under the assumption that that was, uh, already in the game

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

well I'm glad they're adding re-specs, because I've just been winging it on my first character under the assumption that that was, uh, already in the game
it is when you get to level 50. every level up you choose between a new perk card or moving one point. the new system is moving everything around at once however you want via a machine you build at your CAMP

Roman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 28, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

it is when you get to level 50. you choose between a new perk card or moving one point.
it was probably the worst handling of repeccing I've seen in a modern game

the new stuff is like "wow this was designed sometime after 2012"

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Also I missed that they're working on displays in Shelters, as well as separate displays for each CAMP

Also "Vending Machines will now feature a large pool of item slots that are shared for every instance, across all your C.A.M.P.s."

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

Also I missed that they're working on displays in Shelters, as well as separate displays for each CAMP
I honestly am super impressed with that list. microsoft good??

if they actually add account wide plans at some point I might actually recommend the game to people without feeling deep shame

edit: account wide plans and a next gen update because lol at the lovely textures on consoles still goddamn

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 28, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Roman posted:

Also "Vending Machines will now feature a large pool of item slots that are shared for every instance, across all your C.A.M.P.s."

Does this mean more than 30 items on a single vending machine?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If they mean you can have multiple locations for camps set up but only one active, wonderful, great! If they mean you can have multiple different setups but they have to go in the same location, who cares? When I want to make a different looking camp, I find a different spot too.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If they mean you can have multiple locations for camps set up but only one active, wonderful, great! If they mean you can have multiple different setups but they have to go in the same location, who cares? When I want to make a different looking camp, I find a different spot too.
its locations as well. So you can have one in the forest and one in the savage divide or outside watoga or whatever

not sure the number of slots but I'm guessing it'll be three to start with more being able to be purchased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Roman posted:

https://beth.games/36jSn0v

F76 PTS next week:

- Loadouts and re-spec
- CAMP Slots = "loadouts" for your CAMP, with their own budgets etc. (Still limited to only one active CAMP at a time)
- New modes, locations, modifiers, enemies for Daily Ops
- Batch crafting
- Aim assist for controllers
- New events in activity menu in addition to Daily Ops, including nuke zones
- Melee attack improvements

Scrip Surplus weekend in live game. Amount to trade will increase to 300 but this will be limited to special weekend events

aim assist lol.