Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have a friend who is really into Stargate, he keeps trying to subtly recommend it to me, I don't think he's picked up in our 10 years of friendship that I can't be bothered with most TV shows never mind a sci fi franchise covering something like 400 episodes.

gently caress stargate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I don't think anybody thinks Star Trek is better than Stargate. Because that would require being aware of Stargate.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah y'all get it. It's confusing to think one of those shows is better than the other.

I should be more clear. All sci-fi TV shows are roughly the same and just as hard to enjoy if it's been an established show for any amount of time. Needlessly dense and impossible to just dip into.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jan 23, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fizzymercy posted:

Nobody actually likes Lord of the Rings that isn't an insufferable nerd. Not one single interesting person can rattle off the names of the elves.

https://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/113589/the-ultimate-silmarillion-character-quiz

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at people so illiterate and imaginationless they can’t get through the Sil or LotR

Tolkien: loving description of the Redhorn Gate

Morons: when will Gandalf cast thundaga on the orc

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Jan 23, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The hugo weaving elf is named elrond which is easy to remember because you can say elrond hubbard and have a good laugh before a bunch of gnomes start mincing all over the bed with each other in the next scene

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

your highness is funny and I don't know why it gets such a bad rap

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I never saw it, could you compare it to pineapple express?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Badactura posted:

I never saw it, could you compare it to pineapple express?

pineapple express is absolutely top tier lightning in a bottle, so it won't live up to that

it's way more crass, sometimes maybe a little too crass, but the cast is absolutely incredible and there are hilarious moments throughout the whole movie. it doesn't take itself seriously at all

I did not expect captain winters from band of brothers to be so fuckin funny, and Justin Theroux absolutely kills it as the villain

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

really everyone should watch it just for a certain face Theroux makes in this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuNDB-xL6uc

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

fizzymercy posted:

Yeah y'all get it. It's confusing to think one of those shows is better than the other.

I should be more clear. All sci-fi TV shows are roughly the same and just as hard to enjoy if it's been an established show for any amount of time. Needlessly dense and impossible to just dip into.

Yeah, that's why cooking shows or comedy podcasts are the best shows. Easy to look at for a bit before going to sleep.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Guy’s Grocery Games is the height of television

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

He sounds like a bit of a pussy tbh

Wait till you hear about how he, while possessing the Ring, straight up surrendered to Ar-Phârazon and was taken back to Númenor in chains just 200~ years earlier.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Is that when he was all like “hey kids, do you know what’s cool? Worshipping Satan.”

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah. Sauron had spies everywhere and must have known about the decline, how the kings of Númenor were increasingly bitter about not being immortal, about how god loved the elves better. So being captured worked for him in that sense.

It's also said though that he saw he couldn't defeat the Númenorian army, so bit of both.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dude single-handedly turned the greatest kingdom on earth, his mortal enemies, to worship of himself then got their continent sank, lol what a failure

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Worship of Morgoth, not himself. He was more like the pope or something.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Who asked for Wandavision?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The accounting department at Disney. The two main actors were some they could afford for a tv series. The other two cheap ones got a show too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Manager Hoyden posted:

The accounting department at Disney. The two main actors were some they could afford for a tv series. The other two cheap ones got a show too.

lol

I don't know who the other 2 cheap ones you are talking about are but I'm curious

Note: I'm not just taking random stabs at new shows - I like the Marvel films - but the advert just came on Twitch and it just looks like the most bizarre attempt to keep the super hero candle burning

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Black and white pastiche of 50's and 60's sitcom tropes? That's Feige flexing on you plebs.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol

I don't know who the other 2 cheap ones you are talking about are but I'm curious

Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan for Falcon and the Winter Soldier which is another one no one was asking for

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's pretty good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

It's pretty good.

it looks more interesting than most marvel related spin offs certainly but drat man, who needs it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it looks more interesting than most marvel related things certainly but drat man, who needs it

I don't know about need, but it's a really well made story about a lady in a fantasy world, and the tension between the implausibility of the world and her desire to stay in it. I was very impressed by the first episode especially, it wasn't just a pastiche or satire of that era of sitcom, it was a dead-on replication of it. The jokes, the sets, the way it was shot, it was perfect. Until something that was out of place became impossible to ignore, and it started to break down.

The show doesn't stay in the 50s, either, it progresses forward in time to more "realistic" eras of television as the incongruities get ironed out. It's just a really well made, unique show. Everything works together, everything serves a purpose, and the two leads are great.

Of course there's still five episodes left so it might poo poo the bed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I’m enjoying it, but I suspect it’ll end up suffering the same fate as Marvel’s other MCU-adjacent TV series - it’ll be supplementary, and thus inconsequential.

I think a lot of hay has been made over these new TV ventures being “part of” the MCU, versus the leftovers thrown Agents of SHIELD and the scattershot references made in the Netflix stuff. But I don’t think anyone honestly believes this is “required viewing” to understand anything that’ll hit a movie theater.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’m enjoying it, but I suspect it’ll end up suffering the same fate as Marvel’s other MCU-adjacent TV series - it’ll be supplementary, and thus inconsequential.

I think a lot of hay has been made over these new TV ventures being “part of” the MCU, versus the leftovers thrown Agents of SHIELD and the scattershot references made in the Netflix stuff. But I don’t think anyone honestly believes this is “required viewing” to understand anything that’ll hit a movie theater.

I'm guessing that the show is going to end with Wanda's fantasy world becoming so realistic that it is basically real and there's no more barrier between it and the rest of the world, so Vision is back and their kids are real. And S.W.O.R.D. is definitely going to be in more than just this show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a little while back I said that artificial languages were dumb, if people want a universal language we should just use an existing language. I take it back. I'm trying to learn Spanish and this poo poo is a loving nightmare. Bring on the Esperanto.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

men's clothing is way more comfortable than women's clothing and itd be nice for everybody if we could all just agree to wear only men's clothing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It'd be total bullshit to use a universal language that's purely based on european languages.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

everyone just kinda wears gym clothes everywhere anyway and yoga pants seem pretty comfortable, but nobody wants to see me wearing yoga pants

e: well unless you're teaching a universal language from birth it seems like it would be better to use one in which tones don't matter at least

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It'd be total bullshit to use a universal language that's purely based on european languages.

yeah but universal clothing should work. specifically: sweatpants, loose boxershorts and polyester sweatshirts

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol at people so illiterate and imaginationless they can’t get through the Sil or LotR

Tolkien: loving description of the Redhorn Gate

Morons: when will Gandalf cast thundaga on the orc

Yeah, I really stretched my literary horizons getting through Tom Bombadil and wanking about how pretty not-Yorkshire is. Tolkien can write, but mistaking it for particularly literary is only a short-leap from those nerds who think parsing Lovecrafts paid-by-the-word adjective soup makes them smart. Like Lovecraft, I think its okay to enjoy adaptations more than the source with LotR. And also Dune.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I like it more than I've liked any MCU stuff in a long time, but for all the talk of mystery boxes and Lynch-lite surrealism, it's going to conclude with some boilerplate comic book bullshit and everyone will be kind of disappointed.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 24, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

men's clothing is way more comfortable than women's clothing and itd be nice for everybody if we could all just agree to wear only men's clothing

Women's clothing looks way nicer than men's clothing

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Women's clothing looks way nicer than men's clothing

yeah but men's clothing feels better and my wife just wears my clothes because men's clothing is clearly better. it is better to just wear men's clothing

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
When you say men's clothing do you include suits and stuff of are you just saying people should only wear sweatpants. If it's the former I disagree and if it's the latter way ahead of u

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Badactura posted:

When you say men's clothing do you include suits and stuff of are you just saying people should only wear sweatpants. If it's the former I disagree and if it's the latter way ahead of u

yeah the latter. the stigma surrounding sweatpants and backpacks is just a way to keep people from being comfortable and relaxed, wearing loose fitting men's clothing

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

there should be a hot takes subforum with separate topics for hot takes on various things. hot takes are fun and i enjoy reading them 100% of the time as long as they are genuinely unpopular and weird and not just a regular or common opinion

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
The vast majority of rap music isn't really music, and none of it deserves the respect it's given. I WON'T discount it being art, but it isn't music. Just like how musique-concrete isn't either. There should be a different word for "noise art." gently caress rap music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Define music