Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

a sewing tape measure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

right arm posted:

a sewing tape measure?

Not useful for measuring shape

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

mincedgarlic posted:

Sunglasses are the last piece of the puzzle for me as a new rider. None of my existing pairs fit well in my helmet. I bought a cheap pair to have something serviceable but would like to get a pair I can use riding & not riding. I have long hair, so I'm finding that further complicates getting the glasses to sit properly and not require constant adjustments. Looking for normal polarized lens or whatever you're supposed to use in conjunction w/a visor. Any go-to recommendations?

I wear corrective vision glasses and frankly I absolutely hate wearing them or my Rx sunglasses with any helmet, pretty much exclusively ride with contacts. I’d heavily recommend a tinted visor or one of the photo chromatic ones mentioned. Personally I just carry my clear in my backpack if I think there is a chance I’ll be out after dark and swap it in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The all new bike gear megathread - PHRENOLOGY IS REAL

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Obviously this doesn't help if you've already bought a helmet but.... flip-down internal sun visor :frogc00l:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

I was told there is a device or tool that allows you to accurately measure your head shape/size at home. Does anyone know what it is?

Make yourself one of these

e: lest you think I'm joking, LidPicker.com (run by the NewEnough folks) will actually send you a wooden caliper like this to measure your head, should you pay for their service

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

head shape: potato

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

FBS posted:

Obviously this doesn't help if you've already bought a helmet but.... flip-down internal sun visor :frogc00l:

Generally those won't meet SNELL cert

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Oakley Straightlinks are pretty comfortable when jammed between your skull and a helmet.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

TheBacon posted:

Generally those won't meet SNELL cert

This is true. When I finally get around to track days I'll have to buy a dedicated helmet for it

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The all new bike gear megathread - PHRENOLOGY IS REAL

Lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Make yourself one of these

e: lest you think I'm joking, LidPicker.com (run by the NewEnough folks) will actually send you a wooden caliper like this to measure your head, should you pay for their service
Thank you, that was it. Not having to guess my head shape would be worth $20. Plus they give you $15 gift card to https://www.motorcyclegear.com or whatever

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

TheBacon posted:

I wear corrective vision glasses and frankly I absolutely hate wearing them or my Rx sunglasses with any helmet, pretty much exclusively ride with contacts. I’d heavily recommend a tinted visor or one of the photo chromatic ones mentioned. Personally I just carry my clear in my backpack if I think there is a chance I’ll be out after dark and swap it in.

I just bought my first pair of contacts as I got sick of riding in rx sunglasses, this was the best solution.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Appreciate the eyewear advice. Picked up a pair of slim-fitting Oakleys. Tinted visor seems to be the prevailing wisdom but mentally I'm not ready for that yet. I don't plan on doing any night riding if I can avoid it, however I want to keep the visor 'clear' as my default. Maybe I'll change my mind on that as I get more experience.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

But you're forgetting the most important part that nothing looks cooler than a mirror tinted visor (I'm partial to the gold ones myself), and even the photochromatic ones aren't as cool.

I got lasik because of a couple of times when I had contact issues while riding (and just general convenience), definitely worth it and they gave me a DVD of the surgery so I can gently caress with my friends. It's a bit brutal, they show the whole procedure on big monitors and my wife went from wanting lasik to watching mine and saying absolutely not.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

MomJeans420 posted:

But you're forgetting the most important part that nothing looks cooler than a mirror tinted visor (I'm partial to the gold ones myself), and even the photochromatic ones aren't as cool.

I got lasik because of a couple of times when I had contact issues while riding (and just general convenience), definitely worth it and they gave me a DVD of the surgery so I can gently caress with my friends. It's a bit brutal, they show the whole procedure on big monitors and my wife went from wanting lasik to watching mine and saying absolutely not.

Keep in mind that lasik isn't perfect and many people experience halos and other effects around light sources when contrast is high, such as night driving. YMMV.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

pun pundit posted:

Keep in mind that lasik isn't perfect and many people experience halos and other effects around light sources when contrast is high, such as night driving. YMMV.
That's apparently because of cornea scars, which you get from budget cornea removal. Alternative called PRK and it leaves no scars, cost more money and takes longer to recover.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now that zenni exists and you can get glasses for like $10 a pair, you can have a set for every conceivable activity.

I have a set just for VR. It’s great. You could have a set you keep with your helmet if you want.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Some helmets are specifically designed to accommodate glasses also

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now that zenni exists and you can get glasses for like $10 a pair, you can have a set for every conceivable activity.

I have a set just for VR. It’s great. You could have a set you keep with your helmet if you want.

I get my glasses from Zenni ya and just have a bunch of them stashed everywhere, still doesn't make me want to wear them in my helmet or make other compromises to get a helmet that wears them easier or whatever.

Eye surgery definitely something on my list of when I have the multiple extra thousands laying around, being able to wake up and just see will be amazing.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

PRK was worth it. They also gave me a 25% discount if I pad in cash (debit/check) instead of the payment plan, and it was 100% worth it - even with some haloing at night.

Best $3k I’ve ever spent on non-motorcycle stuff.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kloa posted:

PRK was worth it. They also gave me a 25% discount if I pad in cash (debit/check) instead of the payment plan, and it was 100% worth it - even with some haloing at night.

Best $3k I’ve ever spent on non-motorcycle stuff.
You're getting halos after PRK?
Did they do the surface polish?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I have an astigmatism or whatever, so they warned about the risk prior to it. This was 2? years ago, so maybe I need some follow up.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I saw halos at night before I had wavefront LASIK (astigmatism) and they didn't get any worse afterwards. I was told PRK wasn't a good fit for me, but I don't remember why. Regardless, LASIK remains the best money I've ever spent to date, 10 years later.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 19, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have astigmatism and it worked out fine with no halos or anything like that, YMMV. I definitely wouldn't go to discount lasik, but I was able to use a flex spend account and pre-tax money so it effectively gave me a huge discount.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LASIK was easily the best decision I ever made; Such a quality of life increase that it would have been worthwhile at twice the price, and I went to a somewhat spendy place. Not any more haloing than I had before the surgery either so I'm super pleased.

At the start of work from home last year I bought a pair of those blue blocker glasses to see if they do anything to reduce eye fatigue and the second I put them on I was hit with this wave of "oh man I can't believe I had to wear these".

But on the topic at hand I guess, I do keep a pair of sunglasses under my seat just in case and they're super annoying to wear. I think the JBL speakers in my RF-1200 poke out a little bit and definitely pinch my ears when I have sunglasses on. Thank god for the speaker holes at least, I'm trying to imagine how annoying that would be without the cutouts.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 19, 2021

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Do your helmets not have built in flip-down sun visors? All the helmets that fit my huge noggin had that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was always told that made for less protection since you have to strip away internal foam to make space for that functionality. So I always stayed away.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Snell won’t even test helmets with internal visors so lots of people skip out on them. I thought Shoei said the GT Air II would pass Snell testing, but I can’t find that anywhere. I suspect a $600 Shoei helmet is probably fine, even without Snell certification, if it has what you’re looking for.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

I was always told that made for less protection since you have to strip away internal foam to make space for that functionality. So I always stayed away.

Shoei specifically move the forehead section of fibreglass further out to account for this, so you get the same amount of EPS there as in any other helmet.

Also fwiw SHARP testing doesn't indicate that helmets with internal sun visors are always worse than ones without.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I should have made more clear that this is jut what I always heard, not that there's any basis in fact. Honestly I don't have any trouble believing that some brands might actually cut back protection to fit those in. As a beginner it just seemed like one more thing I wasn't really qualified to determine so I played it safe.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
you still gently caress with snell after Dexter Ford's Blowing the Lid Off?

F

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It's all about the FIM sticker now if you want maximum protection right?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hey guys just laying on the couch watching TV in a dianese leather jacket to try and break it in for when I get a bike once it warms up.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Apparently some people sleep in one piece suits to break them in and I think there has to be something wrong with you if you can actually sleep in one. It feels like I'm wearing a cow as a coffin.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I know quite a few kinksters who can sleep in their leathers (mostly dainese) just fine. But i can't imagine how someone could fall asleep with such restricted movement, forced into a specific position by the tight - oh. Oh i get it.

In all seriousness, i see no reason to wear your leathers to bed to break them in. Way too uncomfortable. Imho the best way is to spray them with a plant sprayer to get them slightly damp, put them on, and ride until dry. Second best way is to wear them around the house. Most people are stuck home or working from home anyway.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hey guys just laying on the couch watching TV in a dianese leather jacket to try and break it in for when I get a bike once it warms up.

Just chillin'

(actually waiting for a biker friend to show up)

Can i just say how amazingly good Revit leathers are?! I have worn this suit for 3 years now, and although the print sucks, the rest of the leather looks as if i just bought it. No wear marks at all.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 25, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Apparently some people sleep in one piece suits to break them in and I think there has to be something wrong with you if you can actually sleep in one. It feels like I'm wearing a cow as a coffin.

I know a guy who used to go touring with basically no luggage apart from a foil blanket and some waterproofs stashed under his seat - he'd just put the blanket down on the ground and sleep in his leathers and helmet. Mind you that was in a £1200 fitted BKS one-piece - dude was loving loaded, he was just obsessive about never owning anything he didn't absolutely *need*.

He was trumped by another guy who'd do 2-3 week tours (on a 916!) with just his passport and credit card, he'd stop in towns and buy a clean t-shirt and shorts each night and just dump the dirty ones at the hotel. He once spent half an hour in the pub bemoaning some big French supermarket chain had stopped selling underwear individually so he had to buy a pack of three and lug them around with him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know a guy who used to go touring with basically no luggage apart from a foil blanket and some waterproofs stashed under his seat - he'd just put the blanket down on the ground and sleep in his leathers and helmet. Mind you that was in a £1200 fitted BKS one-piece - dude was loving loaded, he was just obsessive about never owning anything he didn't absolutely *need*.

He was trumped by another guy who'd do 2-3 week tours (on a 916!) with just his passport and credit card, he'd stop in towns and buy a clean t-shirt and shorts each night and just dump the dirty ones at the hotel. He once spent half an hour in the pub bemoaning some big French supermarket chain had stopped selling underwear individually so he had to buy a pack of three and lug them around with him.

I'm guessing whether it was a 2 or 3 week trip was up to the bike :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Just chillin'

(actually waiting for a biker friend to show up)

Can i just say how amazingly good Revit leathers are?! I have worn this suit for 3 years now, and although the print sucks, the rest of the leather looks as if i just bought it. No wear marks at all.

Which revit suit is it?

Regarding suits, watching some revzilla reviews, the presenters mentioned that it's more common in europe to wear a 1 piece for every day riding. Does this generalization have anything in it? Is it more just a use case thing? For instance if you think most of your rides are going to be point a to point a rides, a 1 piece is more practical while offering most protection?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My brother, who hasn't rode for a few years, just told me about https://www.lightmodehelmets.com/

And so help me I want a set