Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Where is the most profitable area to fish? The mines seem mostly useless since it's 90% trash and then something nigh uncatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Poil posted:

Where is the most profitable area to fish? The mines seem mostly useless since it's 90% trash and then something nigh uncatchable.

Depends on the season, but often the ocean.
Although if profit is the specific goal, rather than bundles / ingredients / completion, then there are usually better things to spend time / energy on.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought so but wasn't sure.

At the end of the season there aren't any crops to plant. I mean you can, but they'll just die before the harvest. There are only so much forage each day and I prefer to hoard all the precious gems I find in the mine in a big shiny chest.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night I bought two pigs and didn't realize until the next day that they cost $16,000 instead of $1,600. I guess I'm delaying my next building for a few days.

Speaking of pigs, where will I find the truffles they make? I looked at the wiki and it sounds like they are dropped on the ground and can't be dropped on anything but a bare patch of ground?

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 24, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They should just lie around on the ground outside where the pigs roam. I think they can be dug up in eatable grass.

drat it Marnie! Finally have enough money to grab cows automatically but it's
Monday, lol it takes the entire day to buy groceries.
Tuesday, lol aerobics can't be assed to be open for 10 minutes.
Wednesday, lol flower dance
:argh:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Last night I bought two pigs and didn't realize until the next day that they cost $16,000 instead of $1,600. I guess I'm delaying my next building for a few days.

Speaking of pigs, where will I find the truffles they make? I looked at the wiki and it sounds like they are dropped on the ground and can't be dropped on anything but a bare patch of ground?

I usually have them fenced in a particular area and that is where I find them. I guess if you just give them free roam maybe they can be anywhere?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have a big, fenced-in area of grass available to my coop and barn. All the animals run out every morning and it's cute/a nightmare to pet them all. I'll never find truffles in this chaos.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm going to prep a farm for split screen co-op with my kids, what controllers should I get? Xbox one's? Generic? Can I still use the mouse and keyboard while they use controllers?

I play on the keyboard and mouse and my kiddo uses a generic controller and it works great

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wildtortilla posted:

I have a big, fenced-in area of grass available to my coop and barn. All the animals run out every morning and it's cute/a nightmare to pet them all. I'll never find truffles in this chaos.

Shut the doors overnight

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

GotLag posted:

Shut the doors overnight

I just decided to start doing this. Will the truffles be in the barn?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Wildtortilla posted:

I just decided to start doing this. Will the truffles be in the barn?

No. Pigs only produce truffles when they're outside, and it's not Winter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No, you still have to let them outside to find truffles.

You close the door before bed so that the animals will stay in the barn until you come first thing in the morning, then you pet them all inside the barn and then open the door to let them out.

All animals except pigs can be imprisoned inside the barn/coop forever as long as there’s feed in the troughs, it takes longer to max out their happiness that way though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of animals grazing, I really wish there was some kind of grass dispenser which you could plop down outdoors which grew grass around it. I know you can do the grass starter and piece of fence over it but that has to be replaced every spring (the horror!) and you can accidentally cut the grass and have to replace it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I'm going to prep a farm for split screen co-op with my kids, what controllers should I get? Xbox one's? Generic? Can I still use the mouse and keyboard while they use controllers?

Xbox controllers have been most reliable in my experience. Combining with keyboard and mouse works fine. My youngest prefers the keyboard and mouse so that's what he uses.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 24, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Poil posted:

I know you can do the grass starter and piece of fence over it but that has to be replaced every spring (the horror!)
There's a mod called Winter Grass that makes grass persist (but not spread) during winter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Holy poo poo, I just realized Lewis and Linus are brothers :tinfoil:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Poil posted:

Speaking of animals grazing, I really wish there was some kind of grass dispenser which you could plop down outdoors which grew grass around it. I know you can do the grass starter and piece of fence over it but that has to be replaced every spring (the horror!) and you can accidentally cut the grass and have to replace it.
Uh what? I've always started a bunch of new grass at the bottom of my animal area so that they don't eat it faster than it it grows. And now you're telling me I could just do it like this????

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 24, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a full-farm screenshot feature on the Switch? If there is I don't know where to find it.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

FYI. There's a Grass starter you can make after you get the recipie from Pierre. Once you make one you can place it on your farm and if you put anything on it (Myself I like to put lightning rods) the animals can't eat it but it does spread grass as normal. On Spring 1 of a new year I like to do about 10 of them in my yard area for my animals.

Also Pigs won't dig up truffles until they've grown up. So they're worthless for the first few weeks(?) but they make up their money fast. Also if you have the forage perk of always foraging best items you'll get Iridium stared truffles every time.

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a full-farm screenshot feature on the Switch? If there is I don't know where to find it.
Yep. It's way at the bottom of the options menu. Be on any area (in this case your farm) then go to the options section of the menu and go all the way to the bottom. There will be a icon that says Screenshot. Hit that and it'll take a picture of your whole farm (or any area you're on including your house) and put that in your switch album.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oil machines are cheap so truffle quality hardly matters I'd argue (and can multiply up corn and sunflower profits but... hassle). Growing up time is a reason to buy pigs in midwinter still though.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Tylana posted:

Oil machines are cheap so truffle quality hardly matters I'd argue (and can multiply up corn and sunflower profits but... hassle). Growing up time is a reason to buy pigs in midwinter still though.

Mostly trivia since truffle oil is a thing, but it also depends if you have artisan or not. Iridium truffles are worth 1250 compared to non artisan truffle oil's 1065 (1461 is the sale price for Artisan).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

In my experience, generic controllers work fine, but rarely last more than a year of regular use. On the on the other hand, they cost like half as much as the Microsoft branded xbox controllers.

Poil posted:

The mountain lake always has a good mix of profitable fish with only the sturgeon being troublesome. In some seasons the Ocean has more profitable fish, but they also tend to be more of a pain to catch, even at high skill levels. Personally, I usually fish at the mountain lake if I've got extra time. Although the last couple playthroughs I've gotten better at reinvesting money into kegs/jars/beehives so extra time now gets spent either chopping wood or planting extra trees to chop for wood to make more producers.

Presumably the new end game areas have better fish than either the lake or the ocean. I started a new game with 1.5 and as I previously mentioned got screwed out of completing the community center year one by Walleye's not actually being catchable in winter since it never rains so I haven't seen the new stuff yet.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 24, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Unclouded posted:

Mostly trivia since truffle oil is a thing, but it also depends if you have artisan or not. Iridium truffles are worth 1250 compared to non artisan truffle oil's 1065 (1461 is the sale price for Artisan).

Oh, that is a point. Does Rancher help truffles too?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The logitech F310 costs $20 and is fine if you can live with a wire.

Tylana posted:

Oh, that is a point. Does Rancher help truffles too?

Nope, truffles are considered forage and so are subject to Foraging perks, which is actually awesome because at max Foraging all truffles will be Iridium quality and you’ll get the double harvest 20% of the time too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I carefully googled some first steps for ginger island, trying to not spoil myself, and all three guides/"walkthroughs" that I found pretty much give away characters, buildings, opportunities and whatnot.

What's a brief, mostly-spoiler-free strategy to really find out about all the new stuff by yourself? I've given the kid's parrot in the eastern hut a golden walnut, and dug up three more walnuts that, do I just continue looking for/digging up walnuts for each of the locked locations (i.e. the turtle in the west atm), and then continue on like that, or is there some obvious additional thing that I'm missing?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I carefully googled some first steps for ginger island, trying to not spoil myself, and all three guides/"walkthroughs" that I found pretty much give away characters, buildings, opportunities and whatnot.

What's a brief, mostly-spoiler-free strategy to really find out about all the new stuff by yourself? I've given the kid's parrot in the eastern hut a golden walnut, and dug up three more walnuts that, do I just continue looking for/digging up walnuts for each of the locked locations (i.e. the turtle in the west atm), and then continue on like that, or is there some obvious additional thing that I'm missing?

You've pretty much got it. Collecting and spending golden walnuts is how you make progress on the island. Some of the things you can buy with the walnuts are necessary to open up more content. The parrot in the hut will give hints. At some point you will start finding notes like the secret notes that teach you more about island content.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, main thing is you get daily hints from the hut parrot, and have to buy stuff you don't want as much to get stuff you do. After a point you might want to look some up because some of it is not so intuitive. Predictor can tell you which ones you have and haven't got if it gets too fiddly, so you don't have to stress about keeping track on PC so much.

Mild Hint A bunch of things are up to X rng drops from a certain kind of action as well as the fixed drops on trees or buried in specific spots etc

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

There are a lot of Walnuts buried around the island. If you find a patch of dirt that doesn't look right or some things on the ground that looks like a pattern you should try digging. Some are still really hard to find.

In the volcano pay special attention to the enviroment. That'll show you how to cross.

Save any mummified animals or named bones you find.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Poil posted:

There are several spots where the chances of catching gold-quality fish are nearly 100%.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As a complete newbie, the mountain area felt like the most "Progress" in my first half year for fishing.

While every other area felt disappointing like the lake by the wizard (another kelp/trash, cool...) or "oops I wasn't quite able to catch that hard fish" being more frequent like the ocean making me feel like an idiot for not catching what was probably a super mega turbo cucumber that would be worth $400-$500.

When I "settled" for the area outside the mines for a while, my fishing ranks skyrocketed (maybe getting way more perfect catches on average helped?) and I didn't even buy a new rod until rank 8, making my life easier nabbing the majority of bundle fish only showing up at X time during Y circumstances and going back to the ocean to laugh at things that would formerly slip through my fingers thanks to the trap bobber and bigger fishing catch zone from ranks.

EDIT: It didn't hurt that the minecarts was the first thing I completed, so I could go straight to mountain fishing and back home for free.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 24, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The XP bonus for a perfect catch can make a good argument for using the training rod (which amongst other things means you can't hook difficult fish) to well. Train.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Gold Fishing: Casting towards the darkest part of the water is the best answer 99% of the time, or land your bobbler as far away from any piece of land/dock/plank.
Distance is also based on player skill, so it's harder to get gold for the first few levels of fishing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Unclouded posted:

Also Pigs won't dig up truffles until they've grown up. So they're worthless for the first few weeks(?) but they make up their money fast. Also if you have the forage perk of always foraging best items you'll get Iridium stared truffles every time.

Pigs take 10 days to mature, so you probably shouldn't buy any between Fall 18 and Winter 18.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just stared and I’m not sure what I should be saving as opposed to what I should be selling? Should I keep all my copper/iron/gold/quartz ore/bars? Should I keep all the various gemstones? Or just sell sell sell?

I don’t want to find out I need 20 quartz bars at some point and have sold them all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RCarr posted:

I just stared and I’m not sure what I should be saving as opposed to what I should be selling? Should I keep all my copper/iron/gold/quartz ore/bars? Should I keep all the various gemstones? Or just sell sell sell?

I don’t want to find out I need 20 quartz bars at some point and have sold them all.

You'll definitely want a lot of metal bars for upgrading your tools and later for building infrastructure; don't go selling those until you've stockpiled a lot. At some point you'll find quartz bars become really trivial to get so don't worry about that though.
Gems aren't needed to make so many things but they're generally good gifts for people and certain people really love certain gems. Depends on if you're trying to make money or make friends.

Crops and fish are probably your main money makers; stuff from the mines is more about getting materials to improve your farm.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Keep all bars until you don't need them anymore... which won't be for a few years. Even the quartz bars which you need less often are good to keep around because you can make decoratives out of them

Gems are useful as gifts but you dont really need them and they are safe to sell.

Non-gem minerals can be tossed after they are given to gunther the first time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, thanks!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Agreed with everything above, except you may wanna hang on to earth crystals. You need them to make mayo machines, which are a very good source of profit if you build a coop. There are practical uses for some other gems and minerals, but nothing else that you need to worry about in the short term

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has CA said anything about updates beyond 1.5? I kind of really want to get that fan-made SV book, but only when it's actually complete, and not outdated by updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

GlyphGryph posted:

Non-gem minerals can be tossed after they are given to gunther the first time.

Most minerals can be placed in crystalariums but they are not as profitable as gems. If you have fish ponds I would pay attention to their needs and stockpile minerals you find in geodes.

If you don't give a poo poo about fish ponds ignore me and sell all minerals.