Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

yeah theres definitely a generation gap here. i'm a Late 20s Something and everybody i know was taught it was just a word you don't say

I was going to say is this a thread for figuring out who the cranky boomers are because it's been a rousing success so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
What if I started calling someone r worded. Wold that satisfy everyone? I think we all know a situation cant have a mental disability, but like, what if Im really annoyed that I cant buy 3 boxes of wet wipes for my butthole at Costco? Thats pretty r-worded. Everyone and theyre mom is buying 500 toilet papers but I cant get some soothing butt wipes for my scratchy rear end in a top hat.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

instead of inventing concepts like "euphemism treadmill" to explain your inability to stop using ableist insults, why not try growing out of the habit

Dustcat has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Jan 24, 2021

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
R-word use of the R-word

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Its called mad libs because its what mad libs do when they try to insult you because they cant use the r-word.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Seems lovely and rude to say but I guess the real issue is that being lovely and rude is its own social identity today as "the lovely rude ones but deep down they actually care more then you you stupid bitch" people.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Have we considered the fact that the word has been successfully repurposed and it no longer is used to insult the disabled but rather the brokebrained libs who want to keep their families below the poverty line?

I would agree but you can sorta make the same argument for the n-word so idk

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity posted:

People ask: "Who are you, to lay down who is, and who is not a Christian?": or "May not many a man who cannot believe these doctrines be far more truly a Christian, far closer to the spirit of Christ, than some who do?" Now this objection is in one sense very right, very charitable, very spiritual, very sensitive. It has every available quality except that of being useful. We simply cannot, without disaster, use language as these objectors want us to use it. I will try to make this clear by the history of another, and very much less important, word.

The word gentleman originally meant something recognisable; one who had a coat of arms and some landed property. When you called someone "a gentleman" you were not paying him a compliment, but merely stating a fact. If you said he was not "a gentleman" you were not insulting him, but giving information. There was no contradiction in saying that John was a liar and a gentleman; any more than there now is in saying that James is a fool and an M.A. But then there came people who said - so rightly, charitably, spiritually, sensitively, so anything but usefully - "Ah but surely the important thing about a gentleman is not the coat of arms and the land, but the behaviour? Surely he is the true gentleman who behaves as a gentleman should? Surely in that sense Edward is far more truly a gentleman than John?" They meant well. To be honourable and courteous and brave is of course a far better thing than to have a coat of arms. But it is not the same thing. Worse still, it is not a thing everyone will agree about. To call a man "a gentleman" in this new, refined sense, becomes, in fact, not a way of giving information about him, but a way of praising him: to deny that he is "a gentleman" becomes simply a way of insulting him. When a word ceases to be a term of description and becomes merely a term of praise, it no longer tells you facts about the object: it only tells you about the speaker's attitude to that object. (A 'nice' meal only means a meal the speaker likes.) A gentleman, once it has been spiritualised and refined out of its old coarse, objective sense, means hardly more than a man whom the speaker likes. As a result, gentleman is now a useless word. We had lots of terms of approval already, so it was not needed for that use; on the other hand if anyone (say, in a historical work) wants to use it in its old sense, he cannot do so without explanations. It has been spoiled for that purpose.

Now if once we allow people to start spiritualising and refining, or as they might say 'deepening', the sense of the word Christian, it too will speedily become a useless word. In the first place, Christians themselves will never be able to apply it to anyone. It is not for us to say who, in the deepest sense, is or is not close to the spirit of Christ. We do not see into men's hearts. We cannot judge, and are indeed forbidden to judge. It would be wicked arrogance for us to say that any man is, or is not, a Christian in this refined sense. And obviously a word which we can never apply is not going to he a very useful word. As for the unbelievers, they will no doubt cheerfully use the word in the refined sense. It will become in their mouths simply a term of praise. In calling anyone a Christian they will mean that they think him a good man. But that way of using the word will be no enrichment of the language, for we already have the word good. Meanwhile, the word Christian will have been spoiled for any really useful purpose it might have served.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Dustcat posted:

instead of inventing concepts like "euphemism treadmill" to explain your inability to stop using ableist insults, why not try growing out of the habit

It's hard at first to remove a word from your lexicon... but you just do it to be a kinder better person and it usually works out just fine. I'm always baffled by the "I've always said this and will continue to say this word and it's just *a word* so why are you limiting my speech" front.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

my life improved significantly when after an intervention i stopped saying t*yotathon

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Instead of the r word we can instead say shitfucklestickbaconass

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

[url posted:

https://thebodyisnotanapology.com/magazine/stupid-is-an-ableist-slur-breaking-down-defenses-around-ableist-language-liberating-our-words/[/url]]
Stupid is an Ableist Slur: Breaking Down Defenses Around Ableist Language & Liberating Our Words

August 28, 2018 by Mihran Nersesyan Leave a Comment

During the course of 2016 I saw more ableist slurs tossed around than ever before. From casual conversation to mass media broadcasts, people are referring to one another in the most dehumanizing ways possible and throwing disabled people under the bus in the process.

I feel exhausted because it seems like no one is above it. Some of the most consistent advocates I know have regularly referred to current events as crazy and whatever else have you. It hurts because it feels like a betrayal every time.

That said, I understand how difficult it can be to change the way you speak. Its extremely difficult for me personally as a neuroatypical person. I still make mistakes in instances where I know better. Whats upsetting to me is when people defend the ableist language that they use, or refuse to fully consider the possibility that they should change.

One word in particular that I have encountered some resistance around is the word stupid. Numerous people either dont understand why this word is ableist or think that the value of the word supersedes the harm it causes to disabled communities.

This resistance is oddly pervasive. People who wouldnt use the word dumb because it is offensive to Deaf people and people who cannot speak, or the r-word because it is offensive to people with developmental disabilities, are still willing to describe something or someone as stupid.

In my view, the fact that this word is a slur is self-evident. People dont call you stupid unless theyre trying to put you down or undermine you. Its an insult, and thats reason enough to stop using it.

However, most people see the term as a legitimate expression conveying unintelligence, ignorance, foolishness, and so on. Even though other words are available, people feel that they need this one. I think it encapsulates the anger, frustration, and exasperation that they feel toward people who are behaving harmfully.

Many of us are feeling these things toward the illogical, destructive, and cruel people who endanger our safety and security. Calling those people stupid may be cathartic, but it doesnt communicate as much about the problem as the other words that are available. Compared to words like bigoted, belligerent, or thoughtless, its only strength is that its demeaning.

So its an insult. But what makes the term ableist?

First of all, its used to insult people with cognitive impairments, autism, Downs syndrome, ADD, and other developmental disabilities. Thats a good enough reason right there. Its use harms and triggers disabled people, which makes it a source of mass psychological harm for an already marginalized group.

If something is likely to upset the members of a marginalized group, just let it go. If community members and activists ask you not to use a word for this reason, just dont use it. Listen to those people and dont make excuses. Ignoring those requests is also ableist.

Secondly, stupid is ableist because it creates and enforces systemic and institutional bias. The history of disability in our society is rife with injustices based on intelligence. During the 20th century, the United States government sterilized approximately 70,000 people, starting with women who were deemed to be imbeciles. Thats just one example.

Heres another: children with intellectual disabilities are at extremely high risk for abuse, including sexual assault. Women with intellectual disabilities are also at high risk for abuse, sexual assault, and domestic violence and are underserved by inaccessible support programs.

Our culture promotes a climate of toxicity toward intellectually disabled people, and part of that is in the words we use. By condoning the casual use of ableist slurs, we tacitly permit more severe abuses. Because we undermine the people, we also undermine accountability for their abusers. We fail to construct a healing path forward.

The frustration that we feel over bigotry can be expressed in so many ways. We dont need to rely on ableist slurs. Alternative phrases are more descriptive, and more accurate; unintelligence is not the prevailing problem with right wing extremists, for instance, nor is it the cause of their actions. Ignorance, prejudice, and disregard for the rights of others are.

Conflating harmful actions with lack of intelligence does everyone a disservice. To suggest that stupidity that is what makes people act badly undermines any real accountability. The causes of problematic behavior rarely have anything to do with mental acuity, and we cant properly address harmful behavior while being so reductive about its causes. Carelessness, bias, hatred, greed, closed-mindedness, indifference these are the traits that lead to oppression. Our intelligence is not the issue so much as our sense of compassion and justice.

A person can be unintelligent and still know right from wrong. There are people with cognitive disabilities who I respect a thousand times more than those who are supposedly more abled. They have stronger principles, seek to better themselves, and are committed to being good people. They are just capable of being sensitive and caring as everyone else. To imply that they arent is outrageous.

I get it. Changing the way we speak is really tough. Words are the fabric of our thoughts. Re-forming the words that we use means reshaping our minds. But thats exactly why its so necessary and so potent. Just as we cannot shape a new society without fully deconstructing the old, we cannot liberate our minds without dismantling the ways we think and communicate.

Its genuinely an enormous undertaking. But, its more than achievable, and it doesnt require sacrificing anything that isnt better left behind anyway. The most important thing is mindfulness. Actually noticing it every time we use those words is the biggest and hardest step. Were so used to hearing them that they dont even register.

Thinking of something different to say is also hard because the first alternatives that come to mind are often just as problematic. For instance, its not so uncommon for me to stop myself from saying stupid only to defer to crazy instead.

That really just drives home the point that our entire way of thinking needs to be reevaluated. So much of it is built on dehumanization. We shouldnt put people down as a mode of criticism; thats something we need to develop a sensitivity toward.

Throughout the course of this article, Ive tried to use numerous different words that describe bigots truthfully and unoppressively. They are many and varied, and in my opinion, they convey much more than the word stupid, which is so overused that it actually conveys very little. I cant think of a good reason why you wouldnt use all of these other words instead. They are more impactful, and more accurate, if you care to invest in them.

Try these words on for yourself. Challenge yourself to criticize your opponents without demeaning their intelligence. Even if their actions are ridiculous, offensive, senseless, or malevolent. Pause, think about what is actually upsetting you about their behavior, and choose a different descriptor. Youll be in solidarity with the disability community if you do.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
"mods"

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think euphemisms can be great. Even the actual edgy gamers over on Twitch have almost entirely swapped the word out with "pepega." I think it's good because they almost certainly have developmentally disabled people in their audience, and the word "pepega" wouldn't have been the word thrown at them while they were being beat up/bullied/etc.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

why do the baby zoomers use binch, when it quite clearly is a swap in for the much feared b word? reminds me of Christians technically keeping their virginity by rear end loving

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I guess there's an argument to be made if we ban the r we gotta ban goofy, crazy, nuts, wacko, etc.

To that I say. Eh.

You're all goobers.

I quit saying "gay" to mean bad ages ago, so I'm sure you'll all live.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

gay_crimes posted:

why do the baby zoomers use binch, when it quite clearly is a swap in for the much feared b word? reminds me of Christians technically keeping their virginity by rear end loving

It kind of makes it silly and undercuts though. Idk.

I feel like binch and betch have been used for a while though. Is binch having a revival?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

use of the r-word is apparently going to get me in trouble with my (maybe) grandkids down the line and tbh that's just a sad reality I might have to accept because as much as I do my best to avoid using it, i just feel like it has gone down the same track as imbecile/idiot in terms of meaning

However I'm well aware I don't make the rules for how other people should feel so I avoid using it

Wow they end up using r*diculous at the end??? Cool, real fuckin neato

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I think it'd be better if people didn't use the word, but it's hard to inspire others to change without them getting defensive.

I'm impressed that some parts of the internet have matured and try to self police things, but idk about the population at large.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Look I don't like my son using it more than anyone else, but I'd rather he use the R-word under my roof where I know he's safe than out there doing God knows what else

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

People say the R word all the time. This word is a derogatory and historically negative term to describe people with mental illness or for exhibiting non-conforming behavior. I think it is bad when people use it, and I think there are a lot of people who share that opinion.

Let's talk about it.

I think its great. Also I think people are over sensitive to this and do this intentionally to help fit in the narcissistic society we now live in.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

They should throw Bad Posters into work camps and also give them chemical castration imo

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I've noticed if you discuss this with people who use slurs against others it usually starts with them not wanting to live in a world with canceled words. Then it becomes others are snowflakes. Them if you suggest just being a bigger person and not tearing down others, they bring up how the past used to allow these words. If you suggest that society grows over time and we become less accepting of hurting others they get really defensive because as it turns out they themselves are hurting. And the only way they know to make themselves feel better is to tear down others with words. So if you can work on making someone feel like they're worthwhile they can stop bullying others. It's just, at the root, a lack of self worth driving those words.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
wtf is non conforming behavior mean

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

samantonio posted:

I've noticed if you discuss this with people who use slurs against others it usually starts with them not wanting to live in a world with canceled words. Then it becomes others are snowflakes. Them if you suggest just being a bigger person and not tearing down others, they bring up how the past used to allow these words. If you suggest that society grows over time and we become less accepting of hurting others they get really defensive because as it turns out they themselves are hurting. And the only way they know to make themselves feel better is to tear down others with words. So if you can work on making someone feel like they're worthwhile they can stop bullying others. It's just, at the root, a lack of self worth driving those words.

drat it never occurred to me I could win an argument on the internet by just being both sides and making the dumbest shittiest points so that the other guy who is also me could just totally dunk on my dumb rear end

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i use retard because idgaf. im an rear end in a top hat, and i'll never stop being one. just that simple folks. its in vogue to argue about it recently so ive been using it more. its really weird stuff tho. like for people didn't talk about retard this long when they ate 30 day probes in that cumtown thread lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you know somethings wrong when your saying retard (in your mind counts, god is watching) more often than cumtown host

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
have a word filter that filters the 'r word' to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am0pQx-dSpk

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

i use retard because idgaf. im an rear end in a top hat, and i'll never stop being one. just that simple folks. its in vogue to argue about it recently so ive been using it more. its really weird stuff tho. like for people didn't talk about retard this long when they ate 30 day probes in that cumtown thread lol.

You're worthwhile.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I think conceiving of the word mentally is different from saying it a lot. Definitely saying it a lot is more hurtful to people.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

samantonio posted:

The idea that words are "cancelled" is possibly the dumbest thing I've heard this week.

In no way am I intending to insult the hearing impaired with this sentence.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

samantonio posted:

You're worthwhile.

see but thats the thing. if your banningt he word because the most obnoxious goony fucks use it, you should just directly say so. theres a split purpose here. 1. using retard is indicative of your character 2. it violates community standards 3. you use it as a carte blanche to get rid of people who are goony fuckers u hate. might as well just be honest about which this is imo.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

i can't wait until the next thing becomes fashionable tbh.

id like to see it be everyone giving crunchy moms a wide berth so that performative wokeness actually enables criminal child neglect and then loving morons just log off the internet because it's too deeply entangled with their guilt about little Timmy dying from a colloidal silver overdose, since no one wanted to say anything rude to his mom who actually got parenting advice on the dead child parenting website somethingawful dot con.

oh wow it works i can magic up pretend scenarios in my head where my thoughts and feelings are totally vindicated. very cool

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the r worded mods should be free to perform what is effectively duties as a human word filter, even if I think its stupid, ultimately pointless, a complete waste of their time, and arguably a good reason to be not be a moderator in the first place. that said, since they seem to claim to ban saying retard for ableist reasons they should go further and hunt down all ableist speech instead of letting people slide by saying things like 'cuck brained' and 'smooth brained' or even 'lib brain'. You're using the phrase in place of retard and we all know it. The least you could do is post the rude word. The less room for this liberal pretend to care bullshit the better.

Personally I'm gonna keep saying because if I call someone a retard it is because I want to insult them. If anything telling me that I shouldn't because its ableist merely confirms that people don't want to be compared to the mentally disabled, as they see that as an inherently negative trait to be avoided; itself a very ableist thought.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

i only say it while driving. my car is an all-slurs-go zone. i make this clear to anyone who wants a ride.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

im agitating against the self-invopved narcicissism created by society thru unabating my use of a generic insult << thats me channel8ng the spirit of louis ck using my keyboard as a oujia

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

THE MARCH OF LANGUAGE IS SLOW, BUT IMPLACABLE AND SURE.

GET WITH THE TIMES, OLDS, BECAUSE YOU'RE ABOUT TO LOOK LIKE DAYTIME TELEVISION WITH HOW MUCH YOU GET CANCELLED :c00l:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

see but thats the thing. if your banningt he word because the most obnoxious goony fucks use it, you should just directly say so. theres a split purpose here. 1. using retard is indicative of your character 2. it violates community standards 3. you use it as a carte blanche to get rid of people who are goony fuckers u hate. might as well just be honest about which this is imo.

I reject the framing you're using. I'm simply saying, why say something that hurts a person? Why not be bigger than that?

If someone is offended by a thing I do, I'll make an effort to not do it, especially around them.

If I'm around a christian friend and make a god joke and they tell me I am offending them, I'll stop. It literally costs me nothing to not be a dick. I'll just adjust and be better for it.

If I'm around a muslim friend and they greet me with with "as salaam alaikum" I'm not going to retort with "salami ham and bacon, my brother" because it would offend them. Again, it costs me nothing to be the bigger person and not slur against them.

I don't mind learning new ways to act that make me a more educated and accepting person.

I'm seriously guilty of still slipping the word "retard" into my dialog because I have a long history of being a bigotted racist misogynist from my younger days when I was raised in an Ayn Randian Fox News household where we were just supposed to "get over it" or "grow a sense of humor" if someone was offended by something. I've done a lot of growing since those days but some of the worst clingers-on in my bad-speech is "retard", "retarded", and "bitch". I try to phase them out or correct them if I slip.

"Retard" didn't even enter my conscience until I gained a friend who was called retard when he was younger because he has tourettes, and he has kids with asperger's and autism. It offended him greatly to hear people call others retarded. And it dawned on me that it costs me nothing to not use it, but it costs him emotionally to hear it used.

Why not try to be better people?

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

bird. posted:

im agitating against the self-invopved narcicissism created by society thru unabating my use of a generic insult << thats me channel8ng the spirit of louis ck using my keyboard as a oujia

try channeling your way to a good post some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
oh thats easy, i don't think of people when i post. not how i interact with a forum. its abstracted and i'll never treat it as similiar to face 2 face conversation or w/e. i don't do the chummy friend bit on the forums, never interact via pm, etc etc.