Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rannum posted:

Having an evil AI on the moon to parallel the good AI on the space station would be fitting, if nothing else.

This reminds me of the Pern series: AIVAS on the satellites, Thread on the Red Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Scholtz posted:

e: Since the AI in the other series seems to have emotion/personality, and is social, maybe being alone in space contributed to its insanity and it grew to resent humans/Senku in particular. W.H.Y = We hate you?

it is almost definitely not saying "why" in english

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

it is almost definitely not saying "why" in english

Yeah, it's actually saying wrrryyyyyy....

It's totally "why" in english, as in the word:

ホワイ

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wow I'm super wrong

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, like, someone coded in some poor logic into a 3d printer and the thing went on and printed Medusas on an endless loop for the last 3k years?

Never expected this, oh my.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

rannum posted:

Having an evil AI on the moon to parallel the good AI on the space station would be fitting, if nothing else.

That's just remaking Dancouga Nova.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still think the "WHY" is "We Hear You".

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I still think the "WHY" is "We Hear You".

Then why didn't it just say "we hear you" in morse code, why bother with the acronym?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Morse code has a lot of abbreviations to make communication faster. Especially in informal amateur circles. Not sure if "we hear you" is abbreviated though.

Besides the two bursts of communication from the why man are the Whys and Senkus synthethized voice attempting to activate a medusa, so we can assume it is hostile to senku and co and it was 'why'.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Morse code has a lot of abbreviations to make communication faster. Especially in informal amateur circles. Not sure if "we hear you" is abbreviated though.

Besides the two bursts of communication from the why man are the Whys and Senkus synthethized voice attempting to activate a medusa, so we can assume it is hostile to senku and co and it was 'why'.

Well yeah, but the morse code did the W H Y thing dozens of times, seems like brevity wasn't a concern

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The season 2 opening is a real banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4rw16usA0E

(Sorry for the watermark, this is the best quality one I could find)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The standard Q code for a successful connection in amateur radio is “QSL”.

Source: I’m a ham radio operator.

I am really impressed with the research that went into the radio that they show in the series. There are a bunch of really accurate parts there that he would want in a amateur radio style set up. Things like the loading coil in the antenna to reduce the size of the antenna needed to be effective on a specific frequency. And the tube and wire that lets you short the loading coil a different points so you can tune the antenna for different frequencies.

I also have to say that it really bothers me how they keep calling this radio a cell phone in the anime. It isn’t part of a cellular network which is what distinguishes a cell phone from any regular radio.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 16, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Medusa Acquired!

also stealth ship

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nitrousoxide posted:

I also have to say that it really bothers me how they keep calling this radio a cell phone in the anime. It isn’t part of a cellular network which is what distinguishes a cell phone from any regular radio.

Senkuu mentioned that it wasn’t really a cell phone...but the name stuck anyway. Probably because Taijuu really wanted a smart phone.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Viz link for the spreads.

What a good chapter, like every chapter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad they addressed my biggest question from last chapter, although I feel like people still would've have seen a massive mass falling from the sky. Maybe it was too late by the time anyone noticed? Stealth coating or something?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm glad they addressed my biggest question from last chapter, although I feel like people still would've have seen a massive mass falling from the sky. Maybe it was too late by the time anyone noticed? Stealth coating or something?

Despite the location Manaus isn't isolated from the rest of the planet. If anyone there were able to physically observe the fall of the Medusa, there surely was at least one person hooked up to the Internet who could've sent out a "What the hell is this?!"

But if the petrification wave occurred immediately after fall then it wouldn't have mattered if someone saw it, I guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love that it was Chrome who realised the Medusas (Medusae?) must be stealth, and who came up with the idea of using them for the stealth ship.

Our boy is getting better and better at science :3:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm speculating for future chapters but I think we might actually get to see the Panama Canal's remnants after all. They can't really go past Stanley and the Perseus, so getting back to Corn City on the Californian coast means either going through the Panama Canal or the Northwest Passage in the Arctic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1350852673503952896

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't know much about Radar, but wouldn't absorbing the waves only make it invisible on open water with nothing behind them? If they were near the coast there would a noticeable spot where the waves hitting the coast should be bouncing back but aren't.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Isn't this just a Zumwalt instead of the Sea Shadow

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

RatHat posted:

I don't know much about Radar, but wouldn't absorbing the waves only make it invisible on open water with nothing behind them? If they were near the coast there would a noticeable spot where the waves hitting the coast should be bouncing back but aren't.

I'd imagine that'd be dependent on the radar software (in this case the operator interpretation of the radar response) being knowledgeable enough of what they expect to be detecting and able to notice a gap in return strength and not just dismiss it as some funny wind/wave behavior effecting the radar.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Chrome: "Bruh lets just make the whole ship out of Medusas"

Narrator: And so they did.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sextro posted:

I'd imagine that'd be dependent on the radar software (in this case the operator interpretation of the radar response) being knowledgeable enough of what they expect to be detecting and able to notice a gap in return strength and not just dismiss it as some funny wind/wave behavior effecting the radar.

Any radar shadow produced by a stealth vessel would be totally overwhelmed by the variation in the return from the terrain due to differences in the angle of attack, materials making them up, and atmospheric conditions. We'd be talking about something like the difference between -1000 and -1001 db in a change in received echo.

It's like trying to pick up the fact fact that someone is holding up a pillow in a crowd of people by detecting the infinitesimal amount of dampening it does to the sound of their voices in the vicinity.

Radar works normally because the received echo from metallic hulls is so much stronger than the ambient noise. A stealth vessel is not detected because of the radar shadow, but because stealth hulls only reduce the amount of radar reflection, not eliminate it, so it's a matter of picking out the (much weaker) echo that's still there.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Stealth vessels/planes are more about evading the limited radar capacity of missiles, rather than sophisticated land and sea arrays.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any radar shadow produced by a stealth vessel would be totally overwhelmed by the variation in the return from the terrain due to differences in the angle of attack, materials making them up, and atmospheric conditions. We'd be talking about something like the difference between -1000 and -1001 db in a change in received echo.

It's like trying to pick up the fact fact that someone is holding up a pillow in a crowd of people by detecting the infinitesimal amount of dampening it does to the sound of their voices in the vicinity.

Radar works normally because the received echo from metallic hulls is so much stronger than the ambient noise. A stealth vessel is not detected because of the radar shadow, but because stealth hulls only reduce the amount of radar reflection, not eliminate it, so it's a matter of picking out the (much weaker) echo that's still there.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Speculation: But one side of a contest in a shonen manga just got a power up and there's always the chance that the other side will get a matching one, probably based on the fine-detail exploration of the medusas. We just had it established this story will actively use tech advanced of what is currently possible.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sextro posted:

Oh yeah, for sure.

Speculation: But one side of a contest in a shonen manga just got a power up and there's always the chance that the other side will get a matching one, probably based on the fine-detail exploration of the medusas. We just had it established this story will actively use tech advanced of what is currently possible.

Playing just with this idea and the vague rules of the manga so far: They probably come up with a way for the medusas to communicate with each other. Even if they're not juiced enough to shoot the petrification beam, they're saying they use active measures, so some amount of latent energy is around. Maybe they make a way to get the medusas to phone home to each other. I'm thinking this because the big petribeam was still a wave, and I bet the medusas were synced to go off in series one after another. So they should be able to communicate. And now Senku has covered himself with a bunch of IoT devices basically.

Or to go way too crazy with speculation:

I think the twist will simply be that the tech they just tried doesn't actually work that well. Sure, the stealth panels make them hard to see already, but I the medusas wouldn't work like a magic tech sponge for any and all radar waves. The twitter explanation thread shows the theory they're going with is simply that the constant curving shape and angles are what make it so hard to detect. The problem with that is it applies only to a single medusa or a disperse enough cloud of them that allows the radar to travel mostly unimpeded through it without becoming dense enough to be be treated as it's own large object. Think of it like this: A single bird may be hard to detect because of it's size, and make up, but a large flock of birds can be picked up if they're close enough to each other. Which is why I don't really buy the "the medusas were all immune to radar!" bit if they were packed in dense enough. Granted the mountain of medusas may have happened later and a large dispersion of them would have been needed anyway to cover the globe to solve that plot beat.

But just covering your ship with stealth things doesn't itself make it stealth, and may even make it easier to see. This is why stealth ships go for smooth, sleek designs relying on shallow angles and eliminating even rivets and surface bumps because they will generate echos. But even if we let them go with "magic radar sponge" logic, radar can still penetrate surfaces. Granted it needs to be finely tuned, but radar can detect groups of humans easily enough. So if the medusa cage doesn't fully deflect/absorb the radar around them, the people in the boat could be detected since the ship isn't a fully sealed faraday cage (and grounded). Modern ships don't worry about that because they are sealed metal boxes, the Senku ship is wooden.

It wouldn't be any more of a stretch to have the twist be that they're detecting the human crew directly as they move around via the ship, which solves one issue of individual humans generally having a small cross section, and not moving fast enough to produce much of a radar echo.

I think a crux of this idea may be that they just tested the ship itself, and not the ship with crew inside of it.

Crain fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2021

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Crain posted:

Playing just with this idea and the vague rules of the manga so far: They probably come up with a way for the medusas to communicate with each other. Even if they're not juiced enough to shoot the petrification beam, they're saying they use active measures, so some amount of latent energy is around. Maybe they make a way to get the medusas to phone home to each other. I'm thinking this because the big petribeam was still a wave, and I bet the medusas were synced to go off in series one after another. So they should be able to communicate. And now Senku has covered himself with a bunch of IoT devices basically.

I think the twist will simply be that the tech they just tried doesn't actually work that well. Sure, the stealth panels make them hard to see already, but I the medusas wouldn't work like a magic tech sponge for any and all radar waves. The twitter explanation thread shows the theory they're going with is simply that the constant curving shape and angles are what make it so hard to detect. The problem with that is it applies only to a single medusa or a disperse enough cloud of them that allows the radar to travel mostly unimpeded through it without becoming dense enough to be be treated as it's own large object. Think of it like this: A single bird may be hard to detect because of it's size, and make up, but a large flock of birds can be picked up if they're close enough to each other. Which is why I don't really buy the "the medusas were all immune to radar!" bit if they were packed in dense enough. Granted the mountain of medusas may have happened later and a large dispersion of them would have been needed anyway to cover the globe to solve that plot beat.

But just covering your ship with stealth things doesn't itself make it stealth, and may even make it easier to see. This is why stealth ships go for smooth, sleek designs relying on shallow angles and eliminating even rivets and surface bumps because they will generate echos. But even if we let them go with "magic radar sponge" logic, radar can still penetrate surfaces. Granted it needs to be finely tuned, but radar can detect groups of humans easily enough. So if the medusa cage doesn't fully deflect/absorb the radar around them, the people in the boat could be detected since the ship isn't a fully sealed faraday cage (and grounded). Modern ships don't worry about that because they are sealed metal boxes, the Senku ship is wooden.

It wouldn't be any more of a stretch to have the twist be that they're detecting the human crew directly as they move around via the ship, which solves one issue of individual humans generally having a small cross section, and not moving fast enough to produce much of a radar echo.

I think a crux of this idea may be that they just tested the ship itself, and not the ship with crew inside of it.

What are the odds they: Occam's razor it and they just problem-solve an intercept course. I dunno this manga has a long history of both cool tech power ups and also good/quick thinking being more than enough to cope with tech disadvantages in at least the short term

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

So what you're saying is, Stanley's radar guy will pick up that something is weird and Stanley will make a plan against it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Crain posted:

Their radar setup is a bit weird, sending radar through the test article instead of looking for reflections.
If it doesn't show up, it would mean it is transparent to radar, making it effectively useless.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I wanted to double check something. This scene wasn't in the manga, correct? Being who I am, I'm pretty sure I would remember the reintroduction of instant noodles.

Sidenote: The first instant noodles were not freeze dried, but flash fried in tempura oil.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 19, 2021

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I love how the pieces just come together in this chapter so you have a pretty good idea what they're gonna do, and then sure enough you see the final page...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

The word 携帯電話 really only means mobile (carryable) phone, the 'cell' part is on the english translation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tamba posted:

The word 携帯電話 really only means mobile (carryable) phone, the 'cell' part is on the english translation.

Mobile phone would be a technically accurate description of the device since they don't use it for CW (morse) or other digital modes and only use it for voice.

Technically accurate is the best kind of accurate of course.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=182 Diamond Heart

Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-182/chapter/21875?action=read
Mangaplus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008374

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So is that a legit process for diamonds?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Its cool to see the other team get in on the science action

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Electric Phantasm posted:

So is that a legit process for diamonds?

According to Wikipedia, yes (more or less):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_vapor_deposition#Diamond

Carbon-based vapour + low pressure + heat = synthetic diamonds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looks like the next hurdle would be to engineer precision cutting tools for Joel, and to also somehow do it without needing Brody's help or drawing his attention.

Even odds they finish cutting the diamond at the same time the Medusa raft arrives back at the Californian coast.