Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

He was literally mocking a disabled person in that video but never once used the word "retarded" so your point is pretty bad
Bullying is bullying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

the word 'retard' has transitioned to a hard slur in my real life and altho i said it frequently in high school i don't say it anymore

also it's been my experience that in the debate of 'you shouldn't say this word' vs 'i should be allowed to say this word' the latter group is more likely to be shitheads (a slur i will never stop saying regardless of its medical history)

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Stereotype posted:

People say the R word all the time. This word is a derogatory and historically negative term to describe people with mental illness or for exhibiting non-conforming behavior. I think it is bad when people use it, and I think there are a lot of people who share that opinion.

Let's talk about it.

im clinically brain damaged

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

lol this literally is an issue so simple its two yes/no questions deep, can i expect people to be reasonably upset by my use of the slur? does it cost me a lot to stop using it?

if your answers are anything but yes/no then you're an rear end in a top hat lmao not complicated. write up your paragraphs about how you are a well-principled rear end in a top hat or actually there is a real cost & im not an rear end in a top hat but comon, before you clicked on this thread you were self-aware that whatever urged you to reply stanning the r-word was bare bleached rear end in a top hat

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Slippery Nipple posted:

the word 'retard' has transitioned to a hard slur in my real life and altho i said it frequently in high school i don't say it anymore

also it's been my experience that in the debate of 'you shouldn't say this word' vs 'i should be allowed to say this word' the latter group is more likely to be shitheads (a slur i will never stop saying regardless of its medical history)

bird. posted:

lol this literally is an issue so simple its two yes/no questions deep, can i expect people to be reasonably upset by my use of the slur? does it cost me a lot to stop using it?

if your answers are anything but yes/no then you're an rear end in a top hat lmao not complicated. write up your paragraphs about how you are a well-principled rear end in a top hat or actually there is a real cost & im not an rear end in a top hat but comon, before you clicked on this thread you were self-aware that whatever urged you to reply stanning the r-word was bare bleached rear end in a top hat

Hear, hear.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

samantonio posted:

WHO HURT YOU. We get it, someone spoke about a gun in your past or w//e.

thank you for this toehold, it was some customer guy at work. u know that low eq sorta guy who can't read hes being patronized nodded along to. or maybe hes just lonely lol.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aceofblue posted:

I've got neurological impairments, lol. This isn't white knighting for a community I'm not a part of. I personally can deal when some rear end in a top hat on the internet calls me "retarded" but others can't and I choose.. to grow? To make new language pathways in my brain? I know a thing is harmful to a large number of people and so I choose to do better.

What do you really get out of clinging to a word that started to get retired from the general english lexicon back in the 2000's? I swear I never see as adamant of a defense for using the word as I do here.
Other than this thread I don't even use the word, I'm not arguing for its use, I'm arguing that yeah, the greater harm is caused by continuing to tell everyone that it means intellectually disabled but pretty please don't use it that way

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
that guy was the saddest kind of republican whose wife is more powerful than him and hes clearly an emasculated/angry moron. you'd laugh at the poor writing if he was a character in a book lol

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

thank you for this toehold, it was some customer guy at work. u know that low eq sorta guy who can't read hes being patronized nodded along to. or maybe hes just lonely lol.

No I agree. It's like car-talk guys. I just exit the room when they get going.

"Oh you have a 1911? Have you ever seen a 9mm?"

"Oh 9mm is NOTHING, brah, have you ever seen a .223?"

"Screw that, broseph, I once shot a 50 cal."

"Yea, my buddy owns a tank, we masturbate inside it. derp"

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

samantonio posted:

clip and mag the shooty brothers

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bird. posted:

if your answers are anything but yes/no then you're an rear end in a top hat lmao not complicated.

ive been sayingt his

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

Other than this thread I don't even use the word, I'm not arguing for its use, I'm arguing that yeah, the greater harm is caused by continuing to tell everyone that it means intellectually disabled but pretty please don't use it that way

I don't think we're "telling everyone that it means intellectually disabled." I think we're telling people that we choose to not use it to hurt others, no matter the connotation or etymology or retiredness of said word.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
when I was in middle school I started gaining weight and my evil uncle took to calling me porkchop and it was the source of a lot of tears and frankly I think I would like to see discussion of porkchops contained

which honestly could be expanded to all food since we have a food subforum for food poo poo which is easily avoided by people who have eating disorders and other dysmorphia-adjacent disorders.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bideo James posted:

clip and mag the shooty brothers

Oh gently caress, yea I never lived down getting those two terms wrong.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I grew up hearing and using constantly in a number of contexts and I've been trying not to recently, but drat yesterday I was chatting with some woke person and I was like "something something rword" and he did a double take and I was like "oh poo poo!" But I wasn't sure to like stop the conversation and apologize or just barrel on like I had no idea it could have been offensive. Anyhow I trained myself out of saying a lot of things that got casually dropped so I'm sure I'll get there. Just worried about actually hurting someone.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

words that are okay to use: calling someone stupid, moron, idiot, buffoon, baboon brained, fuckhead, piece of poo poo, pussy, fucker, rear end in a top hat, butthole

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

samantonio posted:

I don't think we're "telling everyone that it means intellectually disabled." I think we're telling people that we choose to not use it to hurt others, no matter the connotation or etymology or retiredness of said word.
that's exactly what you're telling everyone. you don't just say "hey these phonemes are bad when said together" kids need an explanation. then they'll get ideas in their heads.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

samantonio posted:

Oh gently caress, yea I never lived down getting those two terms wrong.

you put either a mag or a clip into a gun and it lets you shoot

just like when i load my mouth with a word that people really dont think i should be saying anymore as a descriptor for myself and others like me

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

when I was in middle school I started gaining weight and my evil uncle took to calling me porkchop and it was the source of a lot of tears and frankly I think I would like to see discussion of porkchops contained

which honestly could be expanded to all food since we have a food subforum for food poo poo which is easily avoided by people who have eating disorders and other dysmorphia-adjacent disorders.

So, in this example:

I'm not asking the word porkchop to be canceled.

I'm saying that I would never say the word porkchop to you to infer something about your weight and to hurt you.

It costs me nothing to not hurt you.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
yeah it's a tough one OP. i do think it's different from racial & sexual orientation stuff, because insulting someone for that is bullshit, hateful, bad. but, however. insulting someone because they have poo poo for brains? a brain full of poo poo? that's a universal constant. perhaps, even, necessary. i'm not married to the r-word. i can move on with my life, find other mean words to use. but all words that describe someone who has poo poo for brains are offensive if you think about it. wow. i'm gonna play xbox

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

samantonio posted:

“derp” is also ableist and you shouldn’t use it if you want to righteously scold internet posters about the r word

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would personally like to discuss "you loving idiot. you moron. you paste eating piece of poo poo" because I've heard it a lot and it continues to harm me

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

gay_crimes posted:

“derp” is also ableist and you shouldn’t use it if you want to righteously scold internet posters about the r word

You're absolutely correct. This is what I spoke about earlier, I'm still guilty of slipping the old poo poo into my discourse. But I should not have used it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

samantonio posted:

Ah, the Trump defense. Words on the internet don't matter because it's anonymous.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

I would personally like to discuss "you loving idiot. you moron. you paste eating piece of poo poo" because I've heard it a lot and it continues to harm me
I will never say it to you.

It's that easy.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Don't call me stupid

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

samantonio posted:

I will never say it to you.

It's that easy.
not for everyone. this is ableism

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

not for everyone. this is ableism

What do you get out of that slam?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Don't call me stupid

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

im calling on all dictionaries to stop printing this word.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Don't call me stupid

Sure thing.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean when it comes down to it, is it really the smartest people using the word retarded?

what I'm asking is

is it their word?

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

feel free to actually discuss porkchops or call me porkchop or whatever

something about developing into an adult human who has lived experiences and actual things that affect my material conditions made me stop caring about what some dumb uncle said twenty years ago

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

typing out a word is the same as saying it, even if you dont know what it means

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bideo James posted:

im calling on all dictionaries to stop printing this word.

I know you're joking, but...

Nah, that's liberal junk talk there. Don't erase the crap from our history. Just educate people on why it's not cool to put others down. A dictionary doesn't assault someone or bully them by defining a word.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You can't physically assault people on the 'net so you gotta rely on insults :shrug:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

samantonio posted:

I know you're joking, but...

Nah, that's liberal junk talk there. Don't erase the crap from our history. Just educate people on why it's not cool to put others down. A dictionary doesn't assault someone or bully them by defining a word.
Yes it does, that's literally how propaganda works

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Dolphin posted:

I mean when it comes down to it, is it really the smartest people using the word retarded?

what I'm asking is

is it their word?

if so then the special ed goons get to tell us who can and can't use it and I guess thats okay.

but then I want to ask which is the most tastiest brand of paste

the adhesive I use for basing my 40k poo poo is decidedly not tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i still remember twoday sighing as i told that guy he was a retard when he was arguing to be able to use retard @ trump in some mod feedback thread. was back when the gbs trump thread was still in here. still makes me lol a lil bit