Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is...incredibly helpful and I didn't know about it. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Last I heard "nobody in Ireland uses DMARC so we're not going to either" which is... :smithicide:

Well you've only recently adopted post codes so maybe it is a bit early for DMARC.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What do people use for free email that isn't Gmail?

AOL/Outlook/Yahoo (lol)
iCloud
Zoho
ProtonMail
GMX
Yandex

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've had good experiences with Dmarcian (both their product and their consultancy).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What do people use for free email that isn't Gmail?

AOL/Outlook/Yahoo (lol)
iCloud
Zoho
ProtonMail
GMX
Yandex

I used Zoho for a long time, but now I just pay for O365 for my vanity domain, it’s only $5/month for a single mailbox

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jeoh posted:

I've had good experiences with Dmarcian (both their product and their consultancy).

I looked at that but the jump in cost if you want to monitor more than 2 domains ruled it out. Our mail volume is low (there's no direct marketing or anything), we just have about 5 domains to gather insights on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spankmeister posted:

Well you've only recently adopted post codes so maybe it is a bit early for DMARC.
That's not entirely accurate. We had postal district system for Dublin from before independence, but then we didn't bother with anything outside that because "Grandad, Bogtown, Kerry" was good enough when the postman for Bogtown knows that only John Murphy has family in Dublin 12. The postcodes we have now are a bit ridiculous. Every building in the country has one, so you can just send things with a seven character code and "Ireland" on it and it'll get where it's going.

That client's logic was sound, in that filtering for DMARC was a waste of money when nobody who talks to them uses it, but they also weren't thinking about being able to drive better security for everyone and I think that was a real missed opportunity for gently caress all extra effort.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DMARCRAIC

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

Every building in the country has one, so you can just send things with a seven character code and "Ireland" on it and it'll get where it's going.

I want my own personal post code...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

69420 is taken, sorry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

The UK has the UPRN now but that’s used by utility companies rather than being a place you can post things to.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I had a client and it took over a year of pestering an ISP to have a tech come take a look and low and behold the connection into the building was lose. Intermittent outages for a year but the ISP phone folks would always ping and say "well it is good."

Same. One of our locations had intermittent connection problems and after years of opening tickets and they saying it was fine, it finally got escalated up the tree to get some of the knowledgeable people to take a look at it. They found the connection ran to the front of a house on the industrial zone where passing trucks would shake the building and jiggle the connection. Extra points for the ISP guy showing up, saying "this switch is poo poo, that's your problem", unplugging our firewall and putting a Dlink commercial router in its place.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in.

Users who are working from home are having trouble uploading large files.

The ticket sender wants to know if we can "set up Google Docs or something" so that people with a slow Internet connection don't need to download or upload these large files (:pwn:). We already have OneDrive set up.

They CC'd the CIO on this.

I'm preparing popcorn, because the answer is going to be "get better Internet" and all hell is going to break loose.

E: As I posted, the ticket was made P1 for our Network/Server team without any...thought or troubleshooting or response to the user. Oh boy, George.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 25, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in.

Users who are working from home are having trouble uploading large files.

The ticket sender wants to know if we can "set up Google Docs or something" so that people with a slow Internet connection don't need to download or upload these large files (:pwn:). We already have OneDrive set up.

They CC'd the CIO on this.

I'm preparing popcorn, because the answer is going to be "get better Internet" and all hell is going to break loose.

E: As I posted, the ticket was made P1 for our Network/Server team without any...thought or troubleshooting or response to the user. Oh boy, George.

Just kick back and wait for all those people to expense their home internet and then laugh when the request gets approved and they try to pull it from IT's budget.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just kick back and wait for all those people to expense their home internet and then laugh when the request gets approved and they try to pull it from IT's budget.

Well, the user complaining is a high muckety-muck...

It got assigned to someone else and I'm just, again, preparing some popcorn for when the users realize that they'll still have to download and upload the files if they're stored on Sharepoint Online.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It may not apply in your case, but we have similar discussions with people at work and companies looking to shut their office down with maybe 8 high value employees who don't have access to a decent internet connection can be provided with ethernet circuits and still come out ahead. It seems like overkill but when £400/month can put a gigabit symmetric into someone's house and you're saving £12k a month from not having your office it's definitely not a crazy idea.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It may not apply in your case, but we have similar discussions with people at work and companies looking to shut their office down with maybe 8 high value employees who don't have access to a decent internet connection can be provided with ethernet circuits and still come out ahead. It seems like overkill but when £400/month can put a gigabit symmetric into someone's house and you're saving £12k a month from not having your office it's definitely not a crazy idea.

Definitely doesn't apply in my case; I don't get to make those kinds of decisions.

It's not a crazy idea by any means, but being a government entity there's some extra wrinkles and problems as soon as the org starts paying for someone's personal stuff, even for work purposes.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

....holy poo poo.

I wish I'd known this for the past <however many years it's been since I started using DMARC> - none of our clients wanted to pay for an analyzer so we've just had the stupid records sitting there doing nothing (well, sending useless aggregate reports to an email where we trash them). Guess I'll be spending tomorrow signing up clients...

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

I could kiss you on the mouth for this

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

bears repeating once in a while: zoom is a stupid pile of poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Assorted Gubbins posted:

....holy poo poo.

I wish I'd known this for the past <however many years it's been since I started using DMARC> - none of our clients wanted to pay for an analyzer so we've just had the stupid records sitting there doing nothing (well, sending useless aggregate reports to an email where we trash them). Guess I'll be spending tomorrow signing up clients...

It's only been there since 2019 and you'd be forgiven for just renewing whatever subscriptions you had last year.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I generally don't do loads of tickets, most people would ring my team before me but occasionally people come direct to me.

I had a call earlier today and I realised I get quite a few like this:

"hey AA, my outlook isn't working with something that sounds simple to resolve"
"right, can you just get me the details and I'll remote assist my way in and take a look"
"Oh... you want me to actually be logged onto the computer?!"

Granted, I work somewhere where the main body of staff need to deal with people and not computers, so they are not logged on 24/7 (quite often 3 users or so might share a computer for the duration of a shift) - but the surprise always makes me smile.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

angry armadillo posted:

I generally don't do loads of tickets, most people would ring my team before me but occasionally people come direct to me.

I had a call earlier today and I realised I get quite a few like this:

"hey AA, my outlook isn't working with something that sounds simple to resolve"
"right, can you just get me the details and I'll remote assist my way in and take a look"
"Oh... you want me to actually be logged onto the computer?!"

Granted, I work somewhere where the main body of staff need to deal with people and not computers, so they are not logged on 24/7 (quite often 3 users or so might share a computer for the duration of a shift) - but the surprise always makes me smile.

I got the same poo poo doing tech support for EA. People would call for help getting their game working, but be sitting in traffic or something dumb literal miles from their computer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RFC2324 posted:

I got the same poo poo doing tech support for EA. People would call for help getting their game working, but be sitting in traffic or something dumb literal miles from their computer.

My company literally puts a "please wait until you're at your computer"-type disclaimer above the support phone number on our website.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I kind of hate that I've gradually come to sympathize with the mindset that would do this.

If I'm not technical, of course I might think it's reasonable to use my downtime when I'm stuck in traffic to call IT and let them know my Outlook is having issues and could they push the butans or whatever. If I'm actually at my computer and my Outlook isn't working, I'm going to just say "gently caress it" and work on something else, I don't have time to deal with that crap while I'm on the clock.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Out of a whim I set up valimail too and found we had two different department using two different mail tools(mailchimp and sendinblue) without telling us poo poo, both of those has been failing delivery since we moved from no dmarc to quarantine.

The interested parties reply to this shocking development -> “we were supposed to contact you for setting up those things?”

Nah, carry on, just don’t come back to me when all your useless mails end up in spam...

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 27, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The big client I was embedded with used to keep buying companies and the way the security team would be told is that we'd start seeing mails in the quarantine going to john.doe@company.com and john.doe@new-domain.com due to SPF failure or whatever, and have to email John directly to ask WTF.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This thread might be interested - we're trying for a groupbuy of Shinto protective charms for IT. If you want in, details are in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957265

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

MJP posted:

This thread might be interested - we're trying for a groupbuy of Shinto protective charms for IT. If you want in, details are in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957265

owns, I put my name in for one

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Used to have a customer in Eastern Europe who would begin every support ticket he logged with us with a template saying...

"We are not friends.

Do not use 'Hi'.

You will call me Mr.xxxxx

Do not phone me. You must only email me between the following hours.."

Even though he was a real pain we kinda missed his tickets when they stopped arriving, they always liven up the day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would you care about what hours someone emailed you

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would you care about what hours someone emailed you

Incredibly loud notification sounds on his phone that he doesn't want to turn off, nor knows how if he wanted to.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Baconroll posted:

Used to have a customer in Eastern Europe who would begin every support ticket he logged with us with a template saying...

"We are not friends.

Do not use 'Hi'.

You will call me Mr.xxxxx

Do not phone me. You must only email me between the following hours.."

Even though he was a real pain we kinda missed his tickets when they stopped arriving, they always liven up the day.

Organized crime boss. At least 80% certain.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Organized crime boss. At least 80% certain.

I had some of those assholes when I worked in academia. It was not Mr. Lastname, it was Dr. Lastname and God help you if you addressed them by their first names, like you were their equal or something.

Coincidentally, they never got great service. Oh, they got their issues fixed, but no one went the extra mile for them. Imagine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sfwarlock posted:

I had some of those assholes when I worked in academia. It was not Mr. Lastname, it was Dr. Lastname and God help you if you addressed them by their first names, like you were their equal or something.

Coincidentally, they never got great service. Oh, they got their issues fixed, but no one went the extra mile for them. Imagine.

I 'got in trouble' for calling a Doctor by the name of "dave"

(it's his name)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I didn't go through eight years of evil medical school to be called "mister!"

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

sfwarlock posted:

My grandfather was like this - he even had my dad's elementary school friends call him doctor.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

My dads old boss used to have her grandkids refer to her as Doctor grandma. Her doctorate was in education.

Got a request from another department today. They want help with a Teams presentation since we did such a good job helping them last time. Had to break it to the person that the location they want to do the next one in doesn't have cameras or any sort of way of getting the video into Teams they might be out of luck. Of course since this is the District Attorneys office I'm sure I'll get told to "just make it work."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

diremonk posted:

My dads old boss used to have her grandkids refer to her as Doctor grandma. Her doctorate was in education.
That is a powerful "gently caress you" to the in-laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't ever call anyone by their title, or their last name. gently caress that poo poo, life is too short and you should be glad I can remember your name.