Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Symone is so good and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Symone was amazing and absolutely deserved the win. No way Denali deserved to lip sync, but the outcome was never really in question. Utica's response to the question about smoking weed was absolutely fantastic.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I didn't know the name of the lip sync song or the artist, nor do I remember when in the last 28 years I actually heard the song. But that chorus activated the vague sense of nostalgia part of my brain. And now I'm probably going to listen to it hundreds of times over the week.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

MizuZero posted:

what an uneven match-up for the lipsync

When it was revealed who the lipsyncers was, I said to my wife, "so it's an execution, then." She never had a chance.

Edit: also, Kahmora is a beautiful female impersonator who could well make a good career out of it, but she is absolutely not a drag queen. This was never going to work for her.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 23, 2021

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This season is loaded with talent. Just absolutely chock full of it.

Denali is a lip sync train. You know it's coming.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I thought Tina Burner did better than Rosé in that and LaLa did worse than Denali. Also shout out to Utica's facial expressions and that hilarious look. Symone was wonderful, of course. I don't know why you wouldn't make the bottom of that dragon dress detachable at the waistband, you know you might have to lipsync, at least then she could move. Unfortunate. I ended up liking Kahmora more than I expected to.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Golbez posted:

When it was revealed who the lipsyncers was, I said to my wife, "so it's an execution, then." She never had a chance.

Edit: also, Kahmora is a beautiful female impersonator who could well make a good career out of it, but she is absolutely not a drag queen. This was never going to work for her.

She is absolutely a drag queen, she's just not built for Drag Race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jKyYoPkv0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIho01MNLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CkOjI4FrjI

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, I've heard Kahmora is an incredible host (witty and quick on the mic, etc.) and that she is very clever and funny. Since contestants apparently know the runway categories but not in what order they will occur, it wouldn't surprise me if she just had a bad roll of the dice and ended up with her like, one non-lipsyncable outfit she brought during the week of her being in the bottom.

Anyways, last night's episode turned me from a Denali stan into a Denali Stan. I need this drat pandemic to go away so I can see her perform here in the Bay Area one day!

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah I don't think it's right to say she's not a drag queen at all. Drag Race requires a certain set of skills that not all drag queens have but it sure doesn't mean that defines what drag is and isn't.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I get the feeling she's not a flipper and Swiffer anyway but kimorah looked like she didn't want to damage her gown and she was right to realise she probably shouldn't since they cast her as a goddamned tree lmao. I was on my phone for the werkroom scenes, I have some very firm questions about how she got that role and why that role existed

It's been 12 hours and I can still clearly.imagjne Symone saying 'flag factory' in my head

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Denali has been making videos for each of the LSFYL songs from her episodes so far, this week's subject:

Chicago Drag Excellence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQi1AEsEb00

Featuring Kamorah, Dida, The Vixen, Lucy Stoole, Detox, Layla McQueen, Tender Oni, the IMHO girls, and so much more!

:allears:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

chicago drag does seem like it kicks a lot of rear end. Pretty much every queen I follow that hasn't been on the show is from chicago.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

chicago drag does seem like it kicks a lot of rear end. Pretty much every queen I follow that hasn't been on the show is from chicago.

I got real drunk with Darby lynn cartwright at Austin international drag fest and I've loved her ever since.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Zombie Squared posted:

It's an incredibly low bar, but I think Rats was my favourite rusical of all time.

I think I agree. It's between Shade the Rusical and Rats for my favorite but they are maybe the only good ones, haha.

Ginny and Bimini deserved to be in the top. Bimini's runway was bad but honestly the runways were mostly a bit whelming this time and I think her performance was excellent, better than the non-Veronica tops.

Edit: Jesus what a boring lipsync. I like a slow emotional face journey but this was not it.

A God Damn Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 23, 2021

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

A God drat Ghost posted:

I ended up liking Kahmora more than I expected to.

Hard disagree. The moment K started whining about how much Elliott's nasally gay voice grated on them, and that it was distracting them during the prep work was when I stopped considering them as a valid competitor. gently caress off and focus on yourself, we have all worked with people we hate before and an inability to hold her tongue says more about Kahmora than it does about Elliott. Plus she couldn't even say it to Elliott's face, just sour looks in the werkroom, and then bitched about it in confessionals after.

Unprofessional and childish, needs at least another 5 years of "growing up". One of my friend group is a Boston gay living in Sydney - loud nasally and grating. I've seen them get pre-judged for it and maybe that's why it ruffled my feathers. Speaking of feathers, Denali is my absolute favourite.

Other than being a bit young themselves, I don't see any reason for a sizeable portion of the cast disliking Elliott, maybe it is just that they got themselves embarrassed by speaking ill of the recently departed, whilst Elliott was very much still alive! Elliott will not even come close to the top 3 or 4, but is at least more polished than Kandy & Joey Jay.

Edit: Kept annoying my husband with "UP AND AT THEM" after Kahmora's inability to root! :ughh:

Gelf fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 24, 2021

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I think Kahmora may be dealing with some gay self hate considering the remarks about her boyfriend not liking drag and her reaction to Elliott's voice. Hopefully the boyfriend will be gone or be better in the future.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Fair enough, I was unduly harsh to Kahmora.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Gelf posted:

Hard disagree. The moment K started whining about how much Elliott's nasally gay voice grated on them, and that it was distracting them during the prep work was when I stopped considering them as a valid competitor. gently caress off and focus on yourself, we have all worked with people we hate before and an inability to hold her tongue says more about Kahmora than it does about Elliott. Plus she couldn't even say it to Elliott's face, just sour looks in the werkroom, and then bitched about it in confessionals after.

You do know they probably have footage of everyone bitching and moaning in confessionals about other competitors and that production can pick and choose whatever they want to show, right?

Honestly that part just seemed like a random throwaway comment to include, since there was never any mention of it before or payoff after.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Normy posted:

I think Kahmora may be dealing with some gay self hate considering the remarks about her boyfriend not liking drag and her reaction to Elliott's voice. Hopefully the boyfriend will be gone or be better in the future.

Yeah I think that's pretty insightful. I get not liking Kahmora's comment. I doubt she had the self awareness to realize the implications and just said it as a shady talking head moment.

Different topic, but I'm glad they took the "has anyone dated a woman" prompt to talk about Tamisha's kids instead of using it to be like "eww gross, pussy is nasty" and say a bunch of misogynistic things like often happens when that comes up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It's been 12 hours and I can still clearly.imagjne Symone saying 'flag factory' in my head

Same. Fleg fectri

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

Denali has been making videos for each of the LSFYL songs from her episodes so far, this week's subject:

Chicago Drag Excellence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQi1AEsEb00

Featuring Kamorah, Dida, The Vixen, Lucy Stoole, Detox, Layla McQueen, Tender Oni, the IMHO girls, and so much more!

:allears:

Thank you so much for sharing this, it's so gorgeous!

Laila's current look, godDAMN

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

finished dragula s3 and I gotta say that it was probably my favourite season of drag-focused television to date. Yes better than All-Stars 2 or RPDRs6

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is ru ever going to actually hire writers for the sketches or will they remain terrible forever?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I thought this was one of the better acting challenges. But I also never get tired of the show getting a chance to make "I own 51% of this ______" jokes.

I also liked how every sketch was essentially the same, so no team could really get screwed by getting the worst script, and it's much easier to compare performances.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Forcing your audience to adapt a rictus for minutes at a time is camp

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Trig Discipline posted:

Same. Fleg fectri

someone was saying it was a cosby show spinoff reference but in my mind it will always just be a completely contextless south african accent done poorly

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If you look at the acting challenges through about S6, they had one or two show injokes but mostly it was a parody of something, or original jokes.
Ever since s7 it's just "how many drag race overused meme phrases can we jam in"

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

These acting challenges are fuckin' dire. I also don't think Denali should've been in the bottom, but they probably just wanted to pit the Chicago queens against each other.

Still though, Symone's runway? Just crown her already god

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
This acting challenge was fine. It was written about as well as a Hallmark movie, at least. I think the repetition made all of them funnier than any one of them would have been alone.

Eliott sure is lucky the Porkchop queens didn't notice the camera crew pointing to that conspicuous modesty screen for reaction shots while they were shading her!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nemo posted:

This acting challenge was fine. It was written about as well as a Hallmark movie, at least. I think the repetition made all of them funnier than any one of them would have been alone.

Eliott sure is lucky the Porkchop queens didn't notice the camera crew pointing to that conspicuous modesty screen for reaction shots while they were shading her!

It's like on Survivor when the camera is pointed right at hidden immunity idols mere feet from contestants searching for them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The b-team is so much better than most of the a-squad it's not even funny.

Also UK drag race is just such a tier above all - Rats was legit amazing.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
So I'm the one that uploaded the "girl look how orange you loving look girl" clip to youtube, and when the show decided to reference "I'M NOT JOKING BITCH" I looked at the view analytics

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

in my January Dragula binge I watched Resurrection and wow

this is what I'm going to use to get people into drag from now on

great soundtrack, great ending, great winner, great stinger, 10s across the board

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

MizuZero posted:

in my January Dragula binge I watched Resurrection and wow

this is what I'm going to use to get people into drag from now on

great soundtrack, great ending, great winner, great stinger, 10s across the board

The ending with the Orville Peck song never fails to make me emotional and teary-eyed.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Read After Burning posted:

The ending with the Orville Peck song never fails to make me emotional and teary-eyed.

I whooped when I heard the opening notes. Glad the Boulets a music budget now, s3/resurrection had some veritable bangers in both boudoir and floorshow

I’m especially fond of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWNbEiyxcwQ

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

In other gag-worthy news: Alaska's 2021 edition of the Drag Queen of the Year Pageant Competition Award Contest Competition will be streaming on Sunday, March 7:

https://ew.com/tv/alaska-drag-queen-of-the-year-pageant-2021-cast

The contestants:
- Marueen San Diego - Chicago
- Chiquitita - Brooklyn
- Lucy Stoole - Chicago
- Tito Soto - LA
- Cassandra Duplex - New Jersey
- Tenderoni - Chicago
- Dixie Surewood - Pittsburgh
- Jake Dupree - LA

Um... :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Even though the challenge for RuPaulmark wasn't the best i was blown away by Denali's lipsync. The song was a bop and Denali is such a good performer, shes up there with my favorites now.

RATS in RuPaulUk was so much better as a challenge. Kind of sucks Cherry went but what can you do

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Pinwiz11 posted:

In other gag-worthy news: Alaska's 2021 edition of the Drag Queen of the Year Pageant Competition Award Contest Competition will be streaming on Sunday, March 7:

The contestants:
- Chiquitita - Brooklyn
- Lucy Stoole - Chicago
- Tito Soto - LA
- Tenderoni - Chicago
- Jake Dupree - LA

Lucy! :neckbeard:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pinwiz11 posted:

The contestants:
- Chiquitita - Brooklyn
- Lucy Stoole - Chicago
- Tito Soto - LA
- Tenderoni - Chicago
- Jake Dupree - LA

I would take up arms for Tenderoni. :colbert: I was watching old Dorian Electra videos a while back and started whooping when he appeared in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Read After Burning posted:

I would take up arms for Tenderoni. :colbert: I was watching old Dorian Electra videos a while back and started whooping when he appeared in one.

:twisted: Yes....... These posts give me energy............. The power of Berlin Nightclub is rising!!!!!!