Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

M4A actually means Medicare 4 Ableists

Also I'm retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Words move out of the "things that are ok to say" zone all of the time and every time they do a certain set of folks have a hissy fit. If call someone a f----t at work I things will not go well for me whereas 20 yrs ago it would be laughed off. Should r----d be treated the same?

I don't really know how words like that impact people and what the threshold should be to remove a word from the lexicon of a dead gay internet comedy forum. All I know is that the fact that we are even having this discussion means that a critical mass of people feel it shouldn't be used and it appears that the momentum around removing this word from use isn't going to go away soon.

What reason could there possibly to push back against such a movement? Is a word's active use inherently worth preserving?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
It's intent. Always has been.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

when I took french in high school I turned something in late and I got it back with half the points taken off and at the top of the page in all caps and underlined was the word RETARD. I was like 'wtf is this bitch's problem???" and i was going to raise a stink until my friend pointed out that she was saying my homework was late

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

samantonio posted:

let's see.., determining intent... hmm... yeah, intersubjectivity... internal mental states... overdetermination... death of the author... yeah, okay

cool, we've narrowed it down to a thing that not even the person who makes a post can rationally claim knowledge of, can at best be inferred by close reading of posts, etc, and ultimately comes down to a consensus that can only be reached reliably by ignoring the entire concept

tbh you'd be better off with "vibes"

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

samantonio posted:

what if the intent of the poster is to make another poster laugh OP

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Remember the first time you heard the phrase "flame retardant"?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Hodgepodge posted:

let's see.., determining intent... hmm... yeah, intersubjectivity... internal mental states... overdetermination... death of the author... yeah, okay

cool, we've narrowed it down to a thing that not even the person who makes a post can rationally claim knowledge of, can at best be inferred by close reading of posts, etc, and ultimately comes down to a consensus that can only be reached reliably by ignoring the entire concept

tbh you'd be better off with "vibes"

That's a lot of words in response to the idea of just be nice to people.

gay_crimes posted:

what if the intent of the poster is to make another poster laugh OP

You get jollies by calling others retards?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

a new study bible! posted:

Again, the word isn't the issue. It's the intent. If you are using a word with the intent of signaling that the other person is lesser than you, then I posit: what is wrong with you?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't use retard irl or even online but I will start if it becomes cool enough

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

samantonio posted:

You get jollies by calling others retards?

no, i don't call people retards. sometimes people tell jokes using the word and it isn't referring to a differently abled person, or even a person, and their intent is to make someone laugh

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

samantonio posted:

Again, the word isn't the issue. It's the intent. If you are using a word with the intent of signaling that the other person is lesser than you, then I posit: what is wrong with you?

So if I tell all my retard hating friends that I also hate retards, and they all burst into applause, what is the intent there?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

samantonio posted:

That's a lot of words in response to the idea of just be nice to people.

hmm, love is all you need; i like the song but it did not work out for the boomers

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Unless someone is actively targeting mentally disabled people and calling them a retard who loving cares, it's the most sanctimonious wokescold poo poo possible. I want to see all the brave apple polishers in this thread record themselves irl policing peoples language.

Leftist's are so far removed from actual power we've fallen into meaningless cultural war bullshit that just alienates people we need to win on our side to ever achieve power. Becoming the screeching SJW lady from the viral video is not particularly effective praxis imo.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
So you work from home, OP?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

gay_crimes posted:

no, i don't call people retards. sometimes people tell jokes using the word and it isn't referring to a differently abled person, or even a person, and their intent is to make someone laugh

I get that. But it's still used to demean someone. I called all my friends in retards and stupid in high school. These days I no longer use that verbiage as even though it's just a small joke the intent in that moment is to make the person lesser. You calling a friend retarded may be slight but it still has an impact as we are what we immerse our brains in.

If you join a frat you start talking all frat bro, because that's your surrounding. You're taking in what is being said. All that "locker room talk" or "guy code talk" or whatever is presented as innocent words but I contend that what you wrap yourself in, you become. Being around people who elevate me is what I'm currently seeking. I'm no longer interested in being around those who use words to minimize another. And not to pedestal all high and mighty about it, that's just where my development is heading. I don't enjoy the energy of people who shame or bully "for jokes". Because even if the intended target laughs it up, there is usually a cutting deep to their self-worth. "Yea man, I'm such a fatass." "I know, I'm stupid." All that crap sits in your head and builds upon itself. I have no problem relinquishing "retard" jokes from my library of word stew, because I can make jokes that don't cut people. I'm fully capable of doing positive things and not hamstringing myself to negative things.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Retard is a purely online/old people thing at this point anyways, don't think I've heard anyone say it in years. Just calling people dumb is in these days

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

FormaldehydeSon posted:

So if I tell all my retard hating friends that I also hate retards, and they all burst into applause, what is the intent there?

Approval on an internet bulletin board.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Also all the loving weirdo depressed losers who channel all their depression and anxiety onto mentally disabled people as some cipher for purity and happiness as some hosed in the head magical negro analogue for mentally disabled people suck.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i imagine you've all killed the cop in your head by this point. well, now you must kill the retard in your head.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If people are going to get offended by a word, and not the meaning behind the world, the euphemism treadmill will never stop.

When is the stigma against having a low IQ going to go away? When are we going to embrace those of us who make decisions with negative consequences based on a lack of intelligence as equal to those who make helpful and positive decisions because they understand the way the world works? When will acting like a person who needs to be monitored or supervised to prevent their own decisions from hurting them and others become normalized?

When will intelligentist prejudice go away? When will we stand up and shout "I didn't go to medical school, but I googled some stuff and so I'm just as smart at that doctor when it comes to health!" or "The Earth is flat, I can see it with my own eyes! I refuse to be duped by some 'scientist' who thinks that because he earned a fancy degree he knows more than I do!" at the top of our lungs and reclaim that which was taken from us?

Are you suggesting that being mentally disabled is an actual problem, in ways that being black or gay is not?

And that while restructuring society can eliminate bad ideas (e.g. racism and homophobia), the same is not true of physical problems (e.g. Down's syndrome)?

:thunk:

In fact, where did liberals even get the idea to use the same rhetorical strategies in defense of the mentally disabled that they use to talk about black people?

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Just checking in to see if the thread is still retarded

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Fluoride Jones posted:

Just checking in to see if the thread is still retarded

Change thead title to "The Retarded Thread"

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Terminal autist posted:

Also all the loving weirdo depressed losers who channel all their depression and anxiety onto mentally disabled people as some cipher for purity and happiness as some hosed in the head magical negro analogue for mentally disabled people suck.

See this is a prime example. ^^^^

All that crap is meant to make someone else feel lesser. It's a power move by the OP. He wants dominance and will get it by assigning terms such as "weirdo" and "depressed losers" upon those who don't like putting other people down. It's a reaction that usually, in my experience, comes from fear. I'd love to know who OP is afraid of when others say they don't want to bully people.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a new study bible! posted:

i heard it reatards the oxidative reactions of an uncontrolled fire. someone was emitting sonic emissions

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Populon posted:

Change thead title to "The Retarded Thread"

C-SPAM: located in a parking lot between a sex shop and a crematorium > The Retarded Thread: A Place for Retards to Post

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Quotey posted:

i imagine you've all killed the cop in your head by this point. well, now you must kill the retard in your head.

but doctor, i AM th

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
what was the premise for the bad words list creation again. ah yes, it was stupid

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

samantonio posted:

All that crap is meant to make someone else feel lesser. It's a power move by the OP. He wants dominance and will get it by assigning terms such as "weirdo" and "depressed losers" upon those who don't like putting other people down. It's a reaction that usually, in my experience, comes from fear. I'd love to know who OP is afraid of when others say they don't want to bully people.

Are you not putting him down and trying to make him feel lesser by shaming him for his words? Is it not a power move and asserting dominance to police another's language?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

samantonio posted:

I'm a weirdo and a depressed loser and I take offence to these terms

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

samantonio posted:

Posts that make people feel bad should be punishable? Your entire viewpoint on this seems to be constructed of platitudes and armchair psychoanalysis of strawmen you've constructed. There is a cogent argument but you're not making it

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Quotey posted:

do it. do it you loving shitlib.

PULL MY RETARD TRIGGER

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Populon posted:

Are you not putting him down and trying to make him feel lesser by shaming him for his words? Is it not a power move and asserting dominance to police another's language?

There is zero shaming being done. Your framing would insinuate that no one could ever be called out for doing something bad because you yourself have thus put them down by bringing it to light. That's silliness.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

gay_crimes posted:

Posts that make people feel bad should be punishable? Your entire viewpoint on this seems to be constructed of platitudes and armchair psychoanalysis of strawmen you've constructed. There is a cogent argument but you're not making it

Who said anything about policing?

I'm expressing how I approach people and how I've grown through the years. Your actions are yours alone. I'm not in control of that. I have control over my thoughts and behaviors.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think it should only be used to describe the democrats and no other persons.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I think it should only be used to describe the democrats and no other persons.

See people? This is what compromise looks like

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i'm it :/

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I don't really know how words like that impact people

https://www.psypost.org/2020/12/researchers-identify-a-new-personality-construct-that-describes-the-tendency-to-see-oneself-as-a-victim-58753 posted:

Researchers identify a new personality construct that describes the tendency to see oneself as a victim
by Beth Ellwood
December 9, 2020
in Social Psychology

A new personality construct has been defined that describes people who persistently see themselves as victims within interpersonal conflicts. The research was published in Personality and Individual Differences.

Study authors Rahav Gabay and team describe how the social world is satiated with interpersonal transgressions that are often unpleasant and seemingly unwarranted, such as being interrupted when speaking. While some people can easily brush off these moments of hurt, others tend to ruminate over them and persistently paint themselves as a victim. The authors present this feeling of being the victim as a novel personality construct that influences how people make sense of the world around them.

The researchers call it the Tendency for Interpersonal Victimhood (TIV), which they define as an ongoing feeling that the self is a victim, which is generalized across many kinds of relationships.

Through a series of eight studies among Israeli adults, Gabay and associates sought to test the validity of the construct of TIV and explore the behavioral, cognitive, and emotional consequences of such a personality trait.

An initial three studies established the TIV as a consistent and stable trait that involves four dimensions: moral elitism, a lack of empathy, the need for recognition, and rumination. A follow-up study further found that this tendency for victimhood is linked to anxious attachment an attachment style characterized by feeling insecure in ones relationships suggesting that the personality trait may be rooted in early relationships with caregivers.

Next, two studies offered insight into the cognitive profile of those with TIV. The studies had participants consider scenarios that involved another person treating them unpleasantly either by having subjects read a vignette describing a partner giving them poor feedback (Study 3) or by having subjects play a game that ended with their opponent taking a larger share of the winnings (Study 4). Interestingly, the two studies found that those who scored higher on the measure of TIV were more likely to desire revenge against the person who wronged them.

In Study 4, this desire for revenge also translated into behavior those high in TIV were more likely to remove money from their opponent when given the chance, despite being told that this decision wouldnt increase their own winnings. Participants high in TIV also reported experiencing more intense negative emotions and a higher entitlement to immoral behavior. Mediation analysis offered insight into how this revenge process unfolds. The higher participants TIV, the more they experienced negative emotions and felt entitled to behave immorally. However, only the experience of negative emotions predicted behavioral revenge, the authors report.

Gabay and colleagues express that their studies indicate that the Tendency for Interpersonal Victimhood is a stable personality trait that is linked to particular behavioral, cognitive, and emotional characteristics. Deeply rooted in the relations with primary caregivers, the researchers describe, this tendency affects how individuals feel, think, and behave in what they perceive as hurtful situations throughout their lives.

The researchers suggest that TIV as a construct offers a framework for understanding how a persons interpretation of social transgressions can inform feelings of victimhood and lead to revenge behaviors. These insights could inform therapeutic practices for treating such cognitive biases.

The authors suggest that it would be particularly interesting for future studies to explore what happens when people high in TIV are in positions of power. The researchers wonder whether leaders with this persistent tendency to see themselves as a victim might feel more inclined to behave in a vindictive way.

The study, The Tendency for Interpersonal Victimhood: The Personality Construct and its Consequences, was authored by Rahav Gabay, Boaz Hameiri, Tammy Rubel-Lifschitz, and Arie Nadler.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

samantonio posted:

There is zero shaming being done. Your framing would insinuate that no one could ever be called out for doing something bad because you yourself have thus put them down by bringing it to light. That's silliness.

The point I'm clumsily trying to make is that it's not the end of the world to express negative, derisive, or even insulting ideas or comments to one another on this website where we were making 911 photoshops on 911 as the towers fell. I think it's dumb to try and push our online language to be overly positive as this website has always been kind of trolly and somewhat mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

Fun excuse to repost this classic:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?lang=en

When you read that, do you thing ha, good point thats so true or do you think hes mistaken for reasons you cant articulate because youre too stupid or proud to realize youre an idiot bitch whos wrong?

that tweet is funny but its not longer applicable to our lives, when some people make a living tru the internet, and being cancelled can ruin your real life too. or like kids having their entire social lives be online, specially right now

babypolis has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Jan 25, 2021