Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

A show like, say... Big Mouth, lays them on so thick and fast that literally not a single word is not some kind of intricately twisted wordplay that you'd better have the subtitles on and be glued to the screen to have a hope of not just being washed away by it.
big mouth doesn't have anything in it that's funny, though? i'm confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It occurs to me that one of the best nu Simpsons jokes ever (in that it's one of the few good ones) is the gag where Moe throws Barney out of the bar repeatedly only for him to show up again in the background, and the reason that joke works so well is because they don't explain it at the end. They explain it in the middle, sure, but they let it sit at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Decided Lisa Goes Gaga is the worst because it's wasted potential- Lady Gaga is a huge nerd likes weird stuff, she'd absolutely be down for a way more interesting premise than just being fellated onscreen for 22 minutes.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Decided Lisa Goes Gaga is the worst because it's wasted potential- Lady Gaga is a huge nerd likes weird stuff, she'd absolutely be down for a way more interesting premise than just being fellated onscreen for 22 minutes.

But they had her cry diamonds! And uh... I dunno. Someone else can figure it out.

If there was a half-hearted version of :goonsay: I'd post it here.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Stunt_enby posted:

big mouth doesn't have anything in it that's funny, though? i'm confused

You know I saw a season 20+ episode of the simpsons that had a puberty monster shockingly similar to the one in big mouth, years before big mouth was released. Really makes you think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

You know I saw a season 20+ episode of the simpsons that had a puberty monster shockingly similar to the one in big mouth, years before big mouth was released. Really makes you think.

There's a reason Simpsons Did It is a thing. Go on long enough and they'll do nearly any concept at some point. Not to mention it's not exactly a new metaphor.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The first few episodes of Big Mouth are pretty dire, but it actually does get pretty funny and witty. It's never classic Simpsons-legendary level of joke writing but they're really good at comedic timing and they definitely don't dwell on jokes. There's still always a heavy doss of crass humor though so I won't fault anyone for not liking it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hrist posted:

But they had her cry diamonds! And uh... I dunno. Someone else can figure it out.

If there was a half-hearted version of :goonsay: I'd post it here.

Had to un-repress my memory, but she had a train made out of eccentric shoes... I think. At least, that’s how she was introduced to the episode, right? It was like the intro to Soul Train with a reality-bending cartoonish hovering train... but it was made of shoes.

:suicide:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Ive been rewatching Simpsons on Disney Plus and season 10 is where I am really starting to struggle

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

8 is the last solid gold season, 9 has a fair few good episodes written in the old style but introduces the thoughtless plots and caricatured characters of the bad era and season 10 is pure fail country imo. The only episode past that that stands out as worth watching is Behind thr Laughter, which is season ...11?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

multijoe posted:

8 is the last solid gold season, 9 has a fair few good episodes written in the old style but introduces the thoughtless plots and caricatured characters of the bad era and season 10 is pure fail country imo. The only episode past that that stands out as worth watching is Behind thr Laughter, which is season ...11?

That's why I always just pretend Behind the Laughter was the series finale. It gives you a standard good sitcom run, a rough first/second season, a multi-season golden run, a loss of steam season, then a bad last couple of seasons.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a reason Simpsons Did It is a thing. Go on long enough and they'll do nearly any concept at some point. Not to mention it's not exactly a new metaphor.

It's true, yet there is no doubt in my mind Nick Kroll saw this episode at 4 AM, 6 hours before his meeting at netflix, drew the drawing on a napkin, and created "big mouth"

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

FunkyAl posted:

lol I looked this up because I wanted to see and The Simpsons wiki says this is somehow a parody of Big Mouth, which came out 3 years after the episode aired.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They were both just ripping off Gamblor

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I was going to defend season 10 as being ok but I looked at the episode list and now I agree with everybody. Some of the episodes do still have fun bits in them (makeup shotgun in the Edison one, drunken mooch Ron Howard) but there's not a lot I'd really want to rewatch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comes to mind that Big Mouth has a particularly gross, caricatured, 90s Nick esque art style probably because doing otherwise with explicitly pubescent characters exploring sexual themes even realistically and deconstructively would come off as waaaay worse if they were meant to be visually appealing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
No there's no good reason ever why you should go with "rejected Pelswick designs" as your art style.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No there's no good reason ever why you should go with "rejected Pelswick designs" as your art style.

Ha ha, you actually referenced that show as a point of comparision. Thats like assuming everyone knows Zodialogical Astronomy was created by the greeks in 785 BC.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cartoons are dead.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ha ha, you actually referenced that show as a point of comparision. Thats like assuming everyone knows Zodialogical Astronomy was created by the greeks in 785 BC.

One of my professors was a writer for that show and was absolutely shocked I remembered it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

!Klams posted:

Been watching them all on Disney+ with my wife on our lunchbreaks / to fill 20 minutes, and the first episode with absolutely no redeeming qualities or jokes that land to us, is Season 12, Episode 20.

I think the reason it's so egregious is because people (especially Homer) act really out of character in it, and not even in the service of jokes.

Homer breaks his leg playing basketball, and is all "What will I do, just sit around watching TV?" Which at first seems like it's being played as a joke, but is a recurring sentiment of his character, until he starts a childcare center. It's central to the plot. It just feels weird. Bart and Lisa are kinda weird in this episode too.

It was the first one in the run where we've both felt like we should find something else to watch instead.

While terrible, dude, that is after Simpson Safari and When You Dish Upon a Star, you should have pulled the chute long before

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I saw Pelswick on some streaming service awhile back, thought "oh yeah, that was a thing", and watched a few episodes. It was surprisingly chuddy in places, which I didn't pick up on as an 11 year old. Guess that's not super surprising for a show where "Pelswick's pal, God" is a major character.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm also not a fan of the whole 'explain a joke' trend that's been going on in recent years, but i'm also somewhat embarassed to admit that there's more than a few instances where i managed to miss the joke until it was explained by one of the characters :smith:

but that being said, while it is an annoyance, it's only one of multiple reasons why nu-simpsons sucks.

Data Graham posted:

There's something to be said for the joke delivery being just at the right rate for someone who's paying reasonable attention to absorb them all. A show like, say, Archer, or like, Big Mouth, lays them on so thick and fast that literally not a single word is not some kind of intricately twisted wordplay that you'd better have the subtitles on and be glued to the screen to have a hope of not just being washed away by it.

oh god yes. haven't seen much of big mouth but archer is notoriously guilty of this. i felt it was okay in earlier seasons, but it seems in recent ones, they've just went overboard and it's getting to the point of being obnoxious. one of my big comedy pet peeves is when writers extend a joke a past the point of usefulness. with archer, they already have some scenes with great lines that they just tack on an extra ten lines on there just to be safe or something. it's almost like a never ending game of madlibs.

Cemetry Gator posted:

As evidence, I submit the first Netflix season of MST3K and compare it with the second season. In the first season, the jokes were so rapid fire, it really ruined the pacing. Even if the individual jokes were funnier, the delivery fell flat on its face. Season 2 slowed down the pace, and so the jokes had room to breathe and we're funnier.

glad i wasn't the only one thinking that way about MST3K on netflix. i felt the jokes were a little too rapid fire, personally.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My new favorite episode of MST3K is Mac n Me from Netflix's second season. The jokes are relentless but they're just absolutely killing it the entire time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My new favorite episode of MST3K is Mac n Me from Netflix's second season. The jokes are relentless but they're just absolutely killing it the entire time.

"Cry Wilderness" and "The Beast of Hollow Mountain" are also great. I know some people had an issue with the rapid-fire joke pacing in the Netflix seasons, but I think they didn't miss a beat. Those seasons are as good as the golden years in my book.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

"Cry Wilderness" and "The Beast of Hollow Mountain" are also great. I know some people had an issue with the rapid-fire joke pacing in the Netflix seasons, but I think they didn't miss a beat. Those seasons are as good as the golden years in my book.

Oh yeah, those are great too! I remember thinking that the very first Netflix episode was pretty dire, and unfortunately may have turned people off to watching more.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The second Netflix season really tightened things up, yeah. Some of the new ones are definitely among the best.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Second Netflix season of MST3K was definitely when it found its groove, only let down by the lack of chemistry with the Mads, and I usually like Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt. I echo the sentiment that the jokes were too rapid fire (even when they were funny) in the first season. It was almost breathless. One reason old MST3K remains a constant rewatch for me is its chill, stoner vibe. Reboot MST3K felt like it was trying too hard at first.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Oh yeah, those are great too! I remember thinking that the very first Netflix episode was pretty dire, and unfortunately may have turned people off to watching more.

This was me. I quit about ten minutes in when they had already barked out like two hundred jokes. I'll have to go back one day, as I heard they took that particular criticism to heart.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I started watching the Simpsons from S1, and I noticed how it feels like the older episodes feel like they are not trying so hard to be funny. They just are.

I realized in the Tell-Tale Head after Rev. Lovejoy gives his sermon on the evils of gambling, and as the Simpsons are leaving church, you see all the signs for Monte Carlo night and bingo.

Compare to modern Simpsons, where Martin is hanging on Kearny's laundry line for some reason.

It feels like someone trying too hard to be funny, and so they're doing something that's easily identified as wacky. But it's not funny in context. It has no bite or wit.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Season 1 is bad anymore. Show didn't get good until partway through Season 2 and then 3 is when it really hit it's stride.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I started watching the Simpsons from S1, and I noticed how it feels like the older episodes feel like they are not trying so hard to be funny. They just are.

I realized in the Tell-Tale Head after Rev. Lovejoy gives his sermon on the evils of gambling, and as the Simpsons are leaving church, you see all the signs for Monte Carlo night and bingo.

Compare to modern Simpsons, where Martin is hanging on Kearny's laundry line for some reason.

It feels like someone trying too hard to be funny, and so they're doing something that's easily identified as wacky. But it's not funny in context. It has no bite or wit.

Classic Simpsons, when they had really hit their stride had a lot of effort put into it though. Each joke went through quite a few sets of eyes and were tweaked, and often were part of a stack of jokes that built off of each other. It's also how you get such a high ratio of jokes and gags condensed into each episode - but because each one usually builds into the next, it seems organic and unforced.

The SuperEyepatchWolf video that we've all probably seen by now did a great breakdown of the malicious streetsweeper joke from Bart Sells His Soul as an exemplar of this. Every joke in that segment beautifully builds off the last, and it forms a self-contained mini-story in just a few seconds.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Season 1 isn't that bad. It's rough around the edges, and there are a few episodes that don't land as sharply as they could, like Bart the Genius. But then you got Crepes of Wrath and Krusty Gets Busted, which are both very strong and really funny. The animation is pretty rough early on, and they didn't quite have the tone down. But all of the episodes have at least one joke worth telling.

Season 2 starts off strong with Bart Gets an F and Simpson and Delilah. I love cool Martin! They really were getting the tone down.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think season one of the simpsons is great. They’re not so much a wacky comedy show as they are these neat short animated films that tell satirical stories. Not to mention I think the animation is really great in that first season. Season one has a really cool experimental feel to it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I like season 1 for different reasons than the later stuff but I still like. Definitely a few stinkers though, like the babysitter bandit episode.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Classic Simpsons, when they had really hit their stride had a lot of effort put into it though. Each joke went through quite a few sets of eyes and were tweaked, and often were part of a stack of jokes that built off of each other. It's also how you get such a high ratio of jokes and gags condensed into each episode - but because each one usually builds into the next, it seems organic and unforced.

The SuperEyepatchWolf video that we've all probably seen by now did a great breakdown of the malicious streetsweeper joke from Bart Sells His Soul as an exemplar of this. Every joke in that segment beautifully builds off the last, and it forms a self-contained mini-story in just a few seconds.

I'm not saying they didn't work on it, but it doesn't feel like they're trying when you're watching, in that colloquial sense. You know that person who's trying to be funny, and how grating it can be? That's modern Simpsons. The early seasons feel natural and effortless.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I like season 1 for different reasons than the later stuff but I still like. Definitely a few stinkers though, like the babysitter bandit episode.

Yeah, that episode is, IMO, the first genuinely horrible episode from the Simpsons. I can't even remember any jokes from that episode because what is there to laugh at?

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, that episode is, IMO, the first genuinely horrible episode from the Simpsons. I can't even remember any jokes from that episode because what is there to laugh at?

Considering it was supposed to be the SERIES PREMIERE, thank god people went "what the gently caress is this poo poo" and yanked it to be retooled and reanimated, making it the season finale instead. Imaging if they had actually led with that instead of the Christmas episode, ugh

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bucksmash posted:

Considering it was supposed to be the SERIES PREMIERE, thank god people went "what the gently caress is this poo poo" and yanked it to be retooled and reanimated, making it the season finale instead. Imaging if they had actually led with that instead of the Christmas episode, ugh

they included the first run of animation of that episode on one of the DVD sets, and holy gently caress. it was off model and just lovely. the expense and delay nearly sank the show before it even aired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Empty Sandwich posted:

they included the first run of animation of that episode on one of the DVD sets, and holy gently caress. it was off model and just lovely. the expense and delay nearly sank the show before it even aired

It looked so much worse than the later Ulman shorts too.