Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

Although someone did an even better one last year apparently:
https://imgur.com/gallery/P982YfY

That's pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Funny enough some of my friends on Discord had a similar argument on who that might be. I think we sorta settled on Ogre mercenary of some kind. But who knows.
There is going to be 8 characters in total at least.

Also this logo shows off a couple of more heroes.

One being a female stormcast, a female wizard of some kind. And yeah, the last one is a Dwarf.

Also the thing at bottom right looks like an undead Turkey. :v:

This looks cool; so we have 8 heroes, the female stormcast, the witchhunter, the dwarf, the ranger with horned helmet, the mage and the big guy; so we still have 2 unidentified heroes.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note that’s the named version. The generic version has a different pose and can be briefly spotted in the video.
Oh yeah, same as the cows.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
God drat Cursed city is extremely my jam.

The setting, the vibe, the new models are fantastic. A dungeon crawler with undead instead of Chaos is going to be excellent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Everything about that Cursed City trailer is giving me heavy Darkest Dungeon vibes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It appears the Lumineth are going to double in unit size.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Everything about that Cursed City trailer is giving me heavy Darkest Dungeon vibes.

My wife said exactly the same thing. Reckons even the copy is basically the same

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

AnEdgelord posted:

love how one of the presenters is insistently calling them soulblights instead of vampires

This is so weird too, because the WarCom page just straight up calls the warband vampires

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This is so weird too, because the WarCom page just straight up calls the warband vampires

As mentioned they are Soulblight Vampires.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I believe it was confirmed GW doesn't do that out of copyright. They still use Space Marine as much as Adaptus Astartes after all. It's just that they want search terms and "Soulblight" will immediately bring you to their page.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

It appears the Lumineth are going to double in unit size.

No kidding. Every model silhouette featured is either a variation of an existing kit that was featured this week or brand new, so there's a lot of new unit options coming.

Glad I didn't do like some people and buy and paint 80 wardens or some such.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dreylad posted:

Glad I didn't do like some people and buy and paint 80 wardens or some such.
Hell yes :hfive:

I only got 30 wardens and 30 sentinels and figured that they would be a nice core. It feels good to be right.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah I only have 20 and 10 at the moment. I definitely need more Sentinels since you definitely need a bunch for them to be effective, and depending on how the new units slot into the army, I might go as high as 40 Wardens to have 2x20, since they feel a little flimsy at 10 models per unit.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

MonsterEnvy posted:

As mentioned they are Soulblight Vampires.

Exactly!

Also wrt Lumineth stuff - just like the first wave, love the big hero stuff, but the rank and file still seem really off

I voted Light of Eltharion for model of the year, making me very qualified to discuss this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Exactly!

Also wrt Lumineth stuff - just like the first wave, love the big hero stuff, but the rank and file still seem really off

I voted Light of Eltharion for model of the year, making me very qualified to discuss this

drat really? I love the troops.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

JBP posted:

drat really? I love the troops.

It's the horns

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same, it's the heroes that I hesitate on. I'm not feeling all those leaders doing yoga in the middle of battle.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Same, it's the heroes that I hesitate on. I'm not feeling all those leaders doing yoga in the middle of battle.
What better way to assert dominance than doing yoga in front of the enemy?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

It's the horns

Ah fair enough. I like the dumb helmets but I'm also leaning into the non-cow areas. Really excited to get some of the new cavalry units and whatever the swordmasters are called.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

JBP posted:

Ah fair enough. I like the dumb helmets but I'm also leaning into the non-cow areas. Really excited to get some of the new cavalry units and whatever the swordmasters are called.

I mean let me half walk back my post - the sculpts on the stuff I'm talking about (Sentinels/Wardens/Stoneguard/Dawnriders) are wicked, they're really detailed and I absolutely think as far as like structure goes, they're great.

The aesthetic itself is where it falls for me - I definitely have a post earlier in the thread that I am too scatterbrained to quote but yeah, a lot of the theming seems to clash with how the animals relate to each unit and their roles

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
At least now everyone knows that if you don't like the hats then you probably wont like Lumineth, because the hats only get crazier from here on.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Dreylad posted:

At least now everyone knows that if you don't like the hats then you probably wont like Lumineth, because the hats only get crazier from here on.

Pretty hosed up that GW took the one interesting thing chaos dwarves had and gave it to a bunch of elves

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pretty hosed up that GW took the one interesting thing chaos dwarves had and gave it to a bunch of elves

Elves always had crazy hats.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What kind of position are Maggotkin in right now? I've been picking up all sorts of fun weathering techniques to use on my 40k army and I really love the grossness of the Blightkings / Pusgoyles. It seems like loading up on Blightkings is a pretty solid strategy, but I'm wondering if they're actually good enough to hang with any of the big boys or if being an older book just hurts them too much. Seems like the damage is kind of anemic and lacking rend options really hurts.

I'm not expecting to sweep tournaments or anything but I am interested in competitive play, so with that in mind, how much pain and sorrow would I be in for?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I dont think AOS has any truly bad armies honestly. Well except gloomspite gitz, the "fun" faction.

The books a little old, certainly, but it was one of the last of 1st edition so its not too archaic. I would supplement it with War of the Everchosen so you have some subfaction choices, and on warhammer community GW said the next Broken Realms book, Teclis will have new warscroll battalions for them but whether theyre good or not remains to be seen.

As the new Daughters of Khaine book announced yesterday shows this does not preclude them from getting a new book in the future, either.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Elves always had crazy hats.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think AOS has any truly bad armies honestly. Well except gloomspite gitz, the "fun" faction.
Sylvaneth and Beast of Chaos aren't doing so well either. I hope we can see some love for them in Broken Realms: Alarielle or something.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The slow escalation of fancy hats over the past few decades means that everyone now considers these "normal"

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Dreylad posted:

The slow escalation of fancy hats over the past few decades means that everyone now considers these "normal"

Finally an Overton window that moves in the correct direction.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I might have made a mistake. I got the start collecting box for Stormcasts, because their lore is cool and they're easy to paint. Problem is, only like half those units ever see play according to most lists I'm seeing, so I may have been better just getting the units separately. Plus, as someone with no real miniature experience, I'm heard that Stormcasts are actually pretty hard to play well. I'm not too beat up over it, they'll still be fun to build and paint, but this has made me wonder if I should go with a different faction, something easier to play and cheaper to build to a playable state while I wait for stores to open back up.

I've heard Cities of Sigmar is pretty easy, very customizable, and very fun. The Anvilgard set seems fun in particular, which would probably be where I'd start. I also hear that the Beastclaw Raiders would be good, because all you need are 2 or 3 start collecting boxes and you basically have an army for them, and I enjoy the weird niche they've found themselves in among certain AoS fans.

Any advice? Should I just stick with Stormcasts, move to Cities or Beastclaw, or should I do another faction? If another faction, I'd probably prefer Order, but could be convinced to go with something else if it's easy to buy, paint, and play.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well, from what I've heard, Age of Sigmar is probably due for a new edition soon, and Stormcast is probably overdue for a refresh and a new battletome.

I don't know much about Stormcast, but if you like how the models look and paint up then I'd just stick with what you like because inevitably (maybe by the end of this year) most of those units will probably see an update that ought to make them much more playable in a competitive setting. At the very least they're already getting some new factions and updates through the Broken Realm books, plus whatever changes GW decides to make with the General's Handbook that will be out in the summer. This is all speculation, mind you, but I think "play what you think is cool and want to paint" is a good rule in general for miniature wargaming unless you're interested in high-level tournament play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I might have made a mistake. I got the start collecting box for Stormcasts, because their lore is cool and they're easy to paint. Problem is, only like half those units ever see play according to most lists I'm seeing, so I may have been better just getting the units separately. Plus, as someone with no real miniature experience, I'm heard that Stormcasts are actually pretty hard to play well. I'm not too beat up over it, they'll still be fun to build and paint, but this has made me wonder if I should go with a different faction, something easier to play and cheaper to build to a playable state while I wait for stores to open back up.

I've heard Cities of Sigmar is pretty easy, very customizable, and very fun. The Anvilgard set seems fun in particular, which would probably be where I'd start. I also hear that the Beastclaw Raiders would be good, because all you need are 2 or 3 start collecting boxes and you basically have an army for them, and I enjoy the weird niche they've found themselves in among certain AoS fans.

Any advice? Should I just stick with Stormcasts, move to Cities or Beastclaw, or should I do another faction? If another faction, I'd probably prefer Order, but could be convinced to go with something else if it's easy to buy, paint, and play.

Broken Realms Morathi gives Stormcast some new rules that really help them out. You should be good with what you have even without it. Plus Stormcast will get another update fairly quickly.

What Units do you have right now as there are a few start collecting for Stormcast.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I got the Thunderstrike Brotherhood as it seemed no frills. I thought it might be a good foundation to build from. A bit frustrated to find that the Retributors aren't a full group, though, so they might as well not be there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I got the Thunderstrike Brotherhood as it seemed no frills. I thought it might be a good foundation to build from. A bit frustrated to find that the Retributors aren't a full group, though, so they might as well not be there.

While not a full unit it can be filled in decently easily. Thunder strike is a good start for a Stormkeep army from Broken Realms Morathi. I will go into more details after I get off work in a bit.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Stormcasts is a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of army. Goonhammer has a very nice article about starting the faction: https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-stormcast-eternals/

If you like them, keep them, it's almost sure they will have some new models coming this year (maybe) for AoS 3.0. And keep in mind that the lists you see right now are actually tailored to the current tournament meta, so the SCEs lists actually shift a lot thanks to the variety of the options they have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok now to go into detail about the stuff Broken Realms Morathi gives Stormcast.

Stormcast suffer from First Battletome syndrome and their basic Allegiance abilities are pretty lackluster.

Namely the ability to put up to half of the units in the army in reserve and teleport them in later. And for units to have -1 to hit Stormcast units that teleported in that turn.

Broken Realms gives the ability to take a Stormkeep Army instead so those two abilities are replaced with two new ones. Along with three Excellent new Battalions.

Shield of Civilization gives all Stormcast +1 Bravery if they are wholly within 12" of a Liberator unit. As well as letting you at the end of the movement phase give every Liberator unit that did not move +1 to hit and +1 to saves until the end of the next movement phase.

Mortal Auxiliaries meanwhile lets 1 in every 4 of your units be a Cities of Sigmar unit instead. Those units also get the +1 Bravery and when you use a Command Ability you can treat the Auxiliaries as if they are Stormcast Eternal Units.

The Battalions are good too and easy to build.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Would you believe I started painting this one before Cursed City was announced and all we knew about was the Vampires?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok now to go into detail about the stuff Broken Realms Morathi gives Stormcast.

Stormcast suffer from First Battletome syndrome and their basic Allegiance abilities are pretty lackluster.

Namely the ability to put up to half of the units in the army in reserve and teleport them in later. And for units to have -1 to hit Stormcast units that teleported in that turn.

Broken Realms gives the ability to take a Stormkeep Army instead so those two abilities are replaced with two new ones. Along with three Excellent new Battalions.

Shield of Civilization gives all Stormcast +1 Bravery if they are wholly within 12" of a Liberator unit. As well as letting you at the end of the movement phase give every Liberator unit that did not move +1 to hit and +1 to saves until the end of the next movement phase.

Mortal Auxiliaries meanwhile lets 1 in every 4 of your units be a Cities of Sigmar unit instead. Those units also get the +1 Bravery and when you use a Command Ability you can treat the Auxiliaries as if they are Stormcast Eternal Units.

The Battalions are good too and easy to build.

There is a spectacularly broken combo with the Stormkeep Patrol battalion that is guaranteed to get FAQd hard.

Take two max units of Liberators, and then the dogs and Lord-Veritant to fulfill the battalion requirement. The rest of your army can be literally whatever you want, but take some fast units to get on all the objectives on turn 1.

Take the Astral Templars subfaction, which gives a 6" pre-game move. Take the optional allegiance abilities in the Morathi book which gives Liberators +1 save if they don't move or set up in the movement phase.

Deploy your 60 Liberators 3" away from the enemy. Completely box them in, tie them up in melee in a huge tarpit in turn 1. Spread the rest your army out and take all the objectives, score all the points. Your Liberators will spend the entire game engaged in combat so will never move in the movement phase and always get the +1 save. By the time the enemy breaks out of the Liberator tarpit (if the Libs don't just kill them, which they will against some armies), you've rocketed ahead on points so far the game is over.

This is particularly nasty if you get turn 1, since you can daisychain your 60 fat 40mm base guys out to engage literally every unit in his army. At the very least you can box him in so much that most of his army can't get out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there any convenient place to see any potential point changes from new FAQs / errata? Trying to do some listbuilding and I want to make sure I'm actually working with the most current point costs on everything since I know those get tweaked periodically.

Can you even get that info for free or is it all part of paid supplements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

There is a spectacularly broken combo with the Stormkeep Patrol battalion that is guaranteed to get FAQd hard.

Take two max units of Liberators, and then the dogs and Lord-Veritant to fulfill the battalion requirement. The rest of your army can be literally whatever you want, but take some fast units to get on all the objectives on turn 1.

Take the Astral Templars subfaction, which gives a 6" pre-game move. Take the optional allegiance abilities in the Morathi book which gives Liberators +1 save if they don't move or set up in the movement phase.

Deploy your 60 Liberators 3" away from the enemy. Completely box them in, tie them up in melee in a huge tarpit in turn 1. Spread the rest your army out and take all the objectives, score all the points. Your Liberators will spend the entire game engaged in combat so will never move in the movement phase and always get the +1 save. By the time the enemy breaks out of the Liberator tarpit (if the Libs don't just kill them, which they will against some armies), you've rocketed ahead on points so far the game is over.

This is particularly nasty if you get turn 1, since you can daisychain your 60 fat 40mm base guys out to engage literally every unit in his army. At the very least you can box him in so much that most of his army can't get out.

Teleporting them around counts as setting them up.