Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

uninterrupted posted:

so I started revolutions w the French Revolution and made it all the way to the latest on the Russian Revolution, and I really don’t care about the English or American revolutions.

does anyone put out similar content to him, but ideally centered on Asia or Africa? revolutions is good but feels eurocentric and I wanna branch out a bit.

Seconding this question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol this loving movie, mayor, you all have to watch it

"the situation? it's happening whether we freak out or not"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The War Nerd podcast has a ton of stuff about Chinese, Indian, Arabian, and African history.

Also a lot of content about the various maladies you can suffer as a globe-trotting poetry professor with a bum knee.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
War Nerd is easily the best podcast I listen to and the series on the Yeltsin coup was amazing. I also really like their FB community.

Norman Finklestein has always been impressive to me so hearing him speak the whole time pretty much uninterrupted was a pleasant experience.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Gods_Butthole posted:

I've been listening a lot to Desert Oracle Radio recently. The host was a guest on Trillbillys a couple of times which is where I learned about it. It's a great not-directly political podcast/radio show where the host talks about cool poo poo in the Mojave desert. Lots of historical stories, UFO sightings, ecology, and local economics/politics. Super chilled out atmosphere, great for listening to right before bed.

Great loving recommendation. Feels like those fake radio bits from that one queens of the stone age album. I love it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gods_Butthole posted:

I've been listening a lot to Desert Oracle Radio recently. The host was a guest on Trillbillys a couple of times which is where I learned about it. It's a great not-directly political podcast/radio show where the host talks about cool poo poo in the Mojave desert. Lots of historical stories, UFO sightings, ecology, and local economics/politics. Super chilled out atmosphere, great for listening to right before bed.

Ken has such a dreamy radio guy voice. :swoon:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Greg Legg posted:

War Nerd is easily the best podcast I listen to and the series on the Yeltsin coup was amazing. I also really like their FB community.

Norman Finklestein has always been impressive to me so hearing him speak the whole time pretty much uninterrupted was a pleasant experience.

I'm listening to the Yeltsin stuff now and it's fascinating. Also Ames is talking about how he moved to a place with bigger coyotes that cause problems for housepets so I'm wondering if we can get him into Midwest mountain lion conspiracies

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ken has such a dreamy radio guy voice. :swoon:

I know, I can't get enough of it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

THS posted:

ALAB is really great

their recent one on the gerontocracy of our judicial system is excellent and a good recommend to people unfamiliar to it

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017
Finkelstein gets derailed to go off on Michael Jackson on the bonus TureAnon.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

their recent one on the gerontocracy of our judicial system is excellent and a good recommend to people unfamiliar to it

I had read the propublica piece on the Nelson Cruz case before listening so I knew what was coming but Jesus Christ it wasn’t any less infuriating, and then the courts just decided justice was too complicated (ie would be too much work) so they decided yeah all of her orders are fine

It’s just typical of the judicial system in general, constant covering the rear end of incompetence and bad law and injustice and on and on because the alternative is reopening thousands of settled cases. Rather justice be done wrong than have to be redone

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

Finkelstein gets derailed to go off on Michael Jackson on the bonus TureAnon.

He then goes off on lawyers and the law system hard.

Also lmao at him constantly calling into Joan Peters interviews. What a poster.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
the latest premium cumtown shows how dogshit Nick's comedic instincts sometimes are. he incorrectly correctly uses Elliot Page's name before immediately correcting himself to say Ellen, literally the same reverse virtue signalling thing Ben Shapiro did. pathetic levels of nastiness

Also the bit about using Adam's wife's pussy as a pair of glasses with hinged arms on her thighs and Adam saying "Stop making a Spectacle out of my wife" going over both their heads was hilarious

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Greg Legg posted:

does war nerd have an RSS feed yet? listening through patreon sucks the big one.

second part of the finkelstein interview dropped (premium) - it's great. it's amazing how quickly he goes between righteous anger and nice cozy old man reminiscing. absolute treasure of a man

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Generic Monk posted:

does war nerd have an RSS feed yet? listening through patreon sucks the big one.

Yeah, it's usually at the top of their newsletters.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

the latest premium cumtown shows how dogshit Nick's comedic instincts sometimes are. he incorrectly correctly uses Elliot Page's name before immediately correcting himself to say Ellen, literally the same reverse virtue signalling thing Ben Shapiro did. pathetic levels of nastiness

Also the bit about using Adam's wife's pussy as a pair of glasses with hinged arms on her thighs and Adam saying "Stop making a Spectacle out of my wife" going over both their heads was hilarious

Adam is much funnier than you'd give him credit for when they make so much content out of him flubbing stuff

but yeah I had to really roll my eyes at Nick being so lovely. "you really don't think she'll go back to Ellen in a few weeks?" no, man. he probably won't do that

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
haven't they pretty much always had one?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, but it changes about once a year when Mark finds it posted publicly somewhere.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
the finkelstein interview is fantastic and better content than most of chapo in long long time

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Danger posted:

the finkelstein interview is fantastic and better content than most of chapo in long long time

It is but I think they might have been slightly out of their depth with a guest like that. Luckily he is just such an interesting person I could listen to him ramble on about growing up jewish in brooklyn endlessly. I think virgil texas is an excellent interviewer though and a big loss to Chapo, I'd love to hear him talk to Finkelstein.

The highlight was that the hard R caught me off guard and I nearly tripped and hurt myself laughing so hard while out running

breadshaped has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Jan 25, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

fight fight fight fight

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1353773877969739779?s=20

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1353774179556990976?s=20

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Oh that is loving rich.

Edit: Listening to this TrueAnon makes me realize have to similar relationship to rednecks that Finkelstein has with Jews. You just learn to hate the people you grow up around.

side_burned has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Jan 25, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brie’s right.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Taintrunner posted:

Brie’s right.

and Sam sucks.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i tried watching that sam seder stuff and it was boring and just didn’t go anywhere, no probing of ideas or history, complete waste of time imo 1/5 stars

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
That first tweet got deleted, what happened? What was the disappointing behavior?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Finally taking my changes with dipping into podcasts that aren't geeks rolling dice for games. Curious if anyone would know or recommend a podcast about the Chinese and United States relationships that isn't amateur or Falun Gong backed nonsense.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1353778100144844800

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That first tweet got deleted, what happened? What was the disappointing behavior?

Some dumb slapfight about who invited who on their show first.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Reply to this tweet?

https://twitter.com/SamSeder/status/1353572847407521792

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

content incoming

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1353789963767320583?s=20

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gonna take a big poo poo and not watch this

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

gonna take a big poo poo and not watch this

ah, your usual posting process

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i tried to listen to the brie joy and seder debate and as an outsider to US politics let me just say, it was incomprehensible. what the gently caress were they actually arguing about.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gh0stpinballa posted:

i tried to listen to the brie joy and seder debate and as an outsider to US politics let me just say, it was incomprehensible. what the gently caress were they actually arguing about.

Do yourself a favor and don't worry about it. It's a total waste of time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gh0stpinballa posted:

Clout

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
i just don’t understand how anybody can get so spittle-spewingly angry at what, at the end of the day, is a strategy argument

if you don’t think it was a good plan cool but it feels like most of the people who don’t are going loving insane over it

this whole “oh great, here comes more leftist infighting!” thing seems like an entirely self-fulfilling prophecy that results in nutso poo poo like Dixon accusing BJG of being a white supremacist (???)

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

mcmagic posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't worry about it. It's a total waste of time.

👍

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gh0stpinballa posted:

the argument is over whether putting pressure on members of congress three weeks ago will result in a vote on passing medicare for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Finally taking my changes with dipping into podcasts that aren't geeks rolling dice for games. Curious if anyone would know or recommend a podcast about the Chinese and United States relationships that isn't amateur or Falun Gong backed nonsense.

I haven't listened to it, but frequent RWN guest Carl Zha has a China-centric podcast called Silk and Steel, might be worth checking out.

I guess you could call it an amateur production, but from his appearances on RWN he seems to know his history, and unlike a lot of anglophone China commentators, he actually is fluent in Chinese.