Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I now think Annie can't be free, because if she was and she was on Paradis' side, she would have told them the Jaw Titan could crack through titan hardening.

Eren punched through the pillar he was impaled on without much difficulty, presumably because his location-specific hardening was stronger. The Armored Titan comes outfitted with harden'd plates all over and those were hardly unimpregnable. The walls are said to be made of hardened titan mass but Annie punched through it. Titanic hardness is a granular quality, clearly. So it's not difficult to imagine Annie's intel would be something along the lines of "hey a good Jaw titan's claws and teeth tend towards the harder side of the scale" and "the Warhammer, who hasn't been seen in a hundred years and certainly not by me, is nonetheless thought to be good at fabricating hardened matter, so she can probably do the diamond technique. You'll have to wear her out to neutralize the threat, like you did to me, and then we can chisel her out later/yell at her from outside until she gets bored enough to come out, like you may or may not have done to me, or at worst we can just yeet her straight into deepest part of the fukkin ocean and call it a day, lol, gently caress that privileged bitch."

Maera Sior posted:

Thanks for the massive post, Eikre. I might touch on some of your ideas later.

:shobon:

quote:

We've been trying to put together the timeline of how the plan is supposed to work and are currently sitting here:

It seems indisputable that the Paradis establishment was putting feelers out onto the mainland and I wouldn't necessarily conclude that they would limit their intrigue to Marley. The diplomatic quorum at Wily's play aside, Marley's on antagonist footing with everybody on the continent and it wouldn't take long to start thinking about reaching out and seeing if anybody else out there might have more of an immediate vendetta with the threat that's actually existed within living memory than those plucky Eldians of the Walls. I mean, if Marley's going to savage you for a hundred years using Eldian savagery, why not get yourself a piece of that action? Aesthetically, though, I imagine the story will stay within the geopolitical scope we've already witnessed and I concur that the pathways into Marley our heroes had was mostly their own work rather than through a third party's spycraft.

I think Eren went off the reservation just a little bit, though. Mikasa was pleading with him to just come back home, which isn't uncharacteristic, but the Scouts seemed to display mixed thoughts about following him into this breach. At this point, I think he might have had the audacity to just appear in Zeke's bedroom one night and be, like, "Sup, big brother. How far do you think you can get through a titan shift before this sword at your neck pokes out the other side? The guards outside really suck and actually now that I think about it so does everything else I've seen around here, so I thought I'd stop by and get your thoughts about that."

On evacuating with the airship: The first thing the Scout strike-team did upon their appearance was to remove all the fixed weaponry in the vicinity, and there was a foreshadowing scene among the general staff a few episodes back about how titans are obsolete in the face of aircraft. It's not like ODM troops need the thing to make itself vulnerable by landing to let them on, and although Hange mentioned that the plan is blown if their blimp goes down I'm willing to take a shot and say that at this point they're just betting that all the significant anti-air threats have been silenced.

quote:

- Is Eren doing the villain thing of not killing his enemies immediately, or is he hoping to take Porco alive to feed him to someone else?

Missed the third option: Eren doesn't want to kill Porco at all, he's aiming to capture, get clear of the situation, and convince him to defect at a later time (likely relying, in particular, on his positive disposition towards Zeke.)

Nephthys posted:

Zeke's not a mastermind like Armin.

Well... That's disputable. He's the CO. It was under his command that the battle plans at Shiganshina were organized. It was him at the meeting of general officers who brought up the long-term implications of air warfare. He's had the foresight to keep the secret of his royal blood all his life. He's thoughtful, generally, and strategically perceptive. I don't know if we're supposed to take the esteem that other characters have explicitly proclaimed for Armin's intelligence as a conceit that he's the smartest dude around, but Zeke's planning skills are reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I mean if the plan were just to eat as many titans as possible they could've just lead P&M directly into Eren's mouth as it were. Definitely possible that Eren conspired with Zeke to turn this into some kind of Eldian uprising.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just had a horrible realization while making dinner.

Marley is under the impression that Eren can fully utilize the founding titans powers to turn Eldians into titans and control them, but he can't.

However, one person can: Zeke. And they're in the middle of the Eldian ghetto.

Assuming Zeke's death is a fakeout. I imagine we're going to see a whole bunch of Eldians get forced into being titans and attacking the Marleyans. Zeke will be doing it, but the world will think it's Eren's doing, and reinforcing their narrative that Eren is a huge threat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eikre posted:

Well... That's disputable. He's the CO. It was under his command that the battle plans at Shiganshina were organized. It was him at the meeting of general officers who brought up the long-term implications of air warfare. He's had the foresight to keep the secret of his royal blood all his life. He's thoughtful, generally, and strategically perceptive. I don't know if we're supposed to take the esteem that other characters have explicitly proclaimed for Armin's intelligence as a conceit that he's the smartest dude around, but Zeke's planning skills are reliable.

I think Isayama's explicitly said that Zeke's one of the smartest people in the manga. It's not that it necessarily means that he's the best planner (Hange is another of the top geniuses, smarter than Erwin, but Erwin was the better military strategist), but he's definitely up there. Just look at Shiganshina. Zeke had all kinds of strategies in play, good enough to wipe out all but nine members of the Survey Corps. Unfortunately for him, Levi was one of those nine survivors and, well...

Things went off script.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Cart Titan's voice :stare:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

They loving nailed it. One of the best AOT episodes ever. Jaw Titan is incredible in motion, Cart Titan's voice is perfect, they nailed the nutcracker, just pure loving adaptational perfection top to bottom. GG

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Eikre posted:

I think Eren went off the reservation just a little bit, though. Mikasa was pleading with him to just come back home, which isn't uncharacteristic, but the Scouts seemed to display mixed thoughts about following him into this breach.
Right now my guess is that he told them he would talk to Reiner and wasn't honest about the likelihood of transforming. Or maybe he ran off a while ago to gather info and was cagey about his whereabouts, only telling them when they'd see him again. Clearly he's been hiding something from them, the question is what.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I like that while Pieck is a talker, Galliard has to basically rise out of his cockpit to communicate. Prime sniper bait but not today, I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
crackin' a cold one with my pal eren

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just saw some fan account complaining MAPPA sucks because the angle of the "Levi Ackerrman!" reveal wasn't identical to the panel layout and it's like, there's no pleasing some people. "That was one of the most exciting anime reveals of the last decade"

This last episode was incredible. I had goosebumps over and over.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Eren's thought process this episode:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just got to the mid-way point during season 3 of my rewatch. Binging episodes back-to-back in parallel to season 4 has been an amazing experience. Such a strong narrative with really great characters and insane set pieces. I desperately hope Warner Bros doesn't gently caress up adapting this IP, because seeing all the crazy poo poo go down this season and re-living all the great moments from season 1 through where I'm at now really makes me want a proper, big-budget Attack on Titan live-action adaptation to be on the same cinematic level as the Lord of the Rings movies—something righteously epic, crafted with a lot of care by people really passionate about the source material. Having everything fresh in my head, I feel like this show is primed to be on HBO Max as a 10-12 episode prestige miniseries or something.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nephthys posted:

Tbh the idea that the Scouts could dig a massive pit in the middle of Liberio without being noticed is already pretty impressive, no idea how they could pull off anything more elaborate.

Missing the angle here of the pit trap being of Marleyan Military origin in the first place, as a countermeasure against uppity Warriors.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I'm pretty sure the cart titan voice is the same from S3.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am surprised we didn't get to see the inner thoughts of that woman as she was slowly being cracked open like a coconut. With this animation it did sell the absolute horror as she is absolutely hosed with no way to save herself. I thought she might have tried to slip away by releasing herself from the cocoon and pray she died upon impact with the ground. Or was she just paralyzed in fear knowing that she was gonna die while an ally was being used as a nutcracker?

God this brutal episode is cathartic as fuuuck. I know civilians but drat does it feel like retribution for all the bullshit and pain and death Marley has inflicted on these characters have faced. I would be super surprised if Eren doesn't have a scene where he has a late night snack with the Annie Crystal Candy.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 25, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Annointed posted:

God this brutal episode is cathartic as fuuuck. I know civilians but drat does it feel like retribution for all the bullshit and pain and death Marley has inflicted on these characters have faced.

:hmmyes::agreed: Same feels. Same feels for sure.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So does anyone have any suggestions as to how the scouts are supposed to get on the airship to retreat? The obvious answer is to stand on the tallest building and fire straight up, but if they miss they've put a hole in the balloon. Drifting down and lowering ropes seems too slow and would also bring it within range of the guns on the ground. Armin was able to use his own form, but that's not repeatable.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

our buddies from paradis have it tough

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maera Sior posted:

So does anyone have any suggestions as to how the scouts are supposed to get on the airship to retreat? The obvious answer is to stand on the tallest building and fire straight up, but if they miss they've put a hole in the balloon. Drifting down and lowering ropes seems too slow and would also bring it within range of the guns on the ground. Armin was able to use his own form, but that's not repeatable.

That blimp has way more to worry about from artillery fire than than a couple dozen tiny holes.

Traditionally zeppelins aren't one huge balloon also, they would have hundreds if not thousands (given the size of that fucker) of compartments for the lifting gas. here's hoping Paradis is rich in helium and not hydrogen.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I just rewatched the episode, I guess I'm feeling enthusiastic about the greatest loving japanese cartoon episode of all time. A few incidental things I appreciated:

-The in-a-nutshell depiction of the two sides' broader motivations right before the opening credits. Zeke, to the soldiers of Marley: "Exterminate them all!" Levi, to the Scouts: "Don't die!"
-Lara's unwavering :mad: face every time they cut to a shot of her in her diamond. Zero dialogue, absolute perfection.
-The numerals on Levi's watch are in a curvy script that contrasts the blocky letters of their alphabet, indicating seperate origins that parallel Arabic numerals and the Latin alphabet.
-The Scouts have new scabbards, out of which spare blades emerge from the long side rather than the top. Just for a little bit of modernistic superficiality.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

teagone posted:

:hmmyes::agreed: Same feels. Same feels for sure.

Same feels.

Same history.

Same mistakes.

Over and over again.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

That blimp has way more to worry about from artillery fire than than a couple dozen tiny holes.

Traditionally zeppelins aren't one huge balloon also, they would have hundreds if not thousands (given the size of that fucker) of compartments for the lifting gas. here's hoping Paradis is rich in helium and not hydrogen.

Thanks, that's not an area I know much about.

I went back and checked the last end credits of season 3 because a shot looked familiar. It's pretty clearly the same boy in the rubble, just the next morning.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
As an aside, I think if a Scout gets in the habit of missing shots with their grappling line then their career ends immediately, at a high velocity, and long before they're invited to participate in the evening's festivities. I think they're up to the challenge, blimp-wise.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Maera Sior posted:

Thanks, that's not an area I know much about.

I went back and checked the last end credits of season 3 because a shot looked familiar. It's pretty clearly the same boy in the rubble, just the next morning.

I have a dumb amount of knowledge about zeppelins. My great-great-grandfather was in the US Army Zeppelin corp during WWI, training in texas.

(war ended before he was deployed to europe :ssh: )

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This season is just cementing to me, that attack on titan will go down as one of the greats in anime/manga. This poo poo just loving rules so hard. I can't believe I'm even saying this as I wasn't too much of a fan of season 1 or 2 on release! God drat.

Anyway I saw this meme on twitter and died. Please enjoy:

https://twitter.com/yanderelex/status/1352261654667538435

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
its very satisfying seeing the obliteration of the fascist marley

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Even though they keep showing the dead civilians and it's awful, at the same time... GET hosed

I love seeing Marley get their's

But Paradis did kill lots of dignitaries from other nations, so... that's not good

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Maera Sior posted:

Obviously we're not supposed to post manga spoilers, but I'm going to go into a grey area and tell you that this is going to get answered exactly next week. :)

It's fantastic to see the warhammer titan's death animated. I like how both mediums captured how she knew she was completely and utterly SCREWED.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alan_Shore posted:

Even though they keep showing the dead civilians and it's awful, at the same time... GET hosed

I love seeing Marley get their's

But Paradis did kill lots of dignitaries from other nations, so... that's not good

Not to mention that this is an internment zone for Eldians. The homes they destroyed and the people they killed were probably mostly innocent civilians who are likewise oppressed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I loooove supporting a good villain. Best episode of the whole series.

I wish the preview didn't spoil the next fight, even if it was predictable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hydrogen zepellins are meant to be not that easy to set on fire providing you don't coat them in flammable paint like with the Hindenburg. You need hydrogen and oxygen for a fire so a pure hydrogen environment shouldn't ignite.

Zepellins were used to bomb London in WW1 and it did take a couple of years for reasonable countermeasures to be put in place, they actually aren't trivial to bring down.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I'd wager that if Zeke is in league with the Scouts, which is looking 99% likely now imo, he was the one who asked for them to try and leave Galliard and Pieck alive. If it wasn't for Pieck's quick thinking they'd be sitting out the entire fight safely. Tbh the idea that the Scouts could dig a massive pit in the middle of Liberio without being noticed is already pretty impressive, no idea how they could pull off anything more elaborate.

Actually, yeah it may not even have been the Scouts that did it. Beardy could be a soldier under Zeke's own command. That would explain why Pieck thought they were familiar and why they'd be wearing a disguise. There's no real point for it to be a Scout in a disguise now that I think about it. All the characters who could be recognised are accounted for (except Annie who I don't think is free). And that would explain a lot. Zeke's not a mastermind like Armin, so a big pit makes sense for him to think up. And he doesn't have tranq darts to use and wouldn't want them seriously hurt or killed. He'd be able to get a pit like this dug in Liberio since his people can enter and leave freely. The more I'm thinking about it, the more sense this is making.

As for the giant pit, it's presence isn't that suspicious. It's an Eldian ghetto, a place where both titan shifters and potential titans live. A prison for people who could suddenly grow to the size of a building isn't out of place there.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Well, they did declare war on Paradis together with Willy so :colbert:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Harmless little Armin is a now mass murderer on the level of firebombing a city :shobon:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The second season ED hasn't given me a whole lot of new ideas since I last watched it (I think I took in apart pretty well some time in season 3), but there's one thing that's I'm trying to remember and I figured I might as well ask here: were the first shifters contemporary with Historical Ymir, or did they follow her? I think this was mentioned after they made it to the basement, but we haven't made it to that point in the rewatch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

After this episode I took the plunge and just read the remaining manga. I have no idea how they're going finish this in one or even two cours. It feels like there's 3 seasons worth of material still to get through.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
This might just be me but the violence is definitely hitting different this season. The show's been brutal before, but there were moments in the past two episodes where I was genuinely disgusted. People turning to mist due to the Cart Titan's machine-gun, the Warhammer chomp - it's feeling way more icky.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The human/human violence is definitely a lot more ugly on some level than the monster/human conflict we had before.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Maera Sior posted:

The second season ED hasn't given me a whole lot of new ideas since I last watched it (I think I took in apart pretty well some time in season 3), but there's one thing that's I'm trying to remember and I figured I might as well ask here: were the first shifters contemporary with Historical Ymir, or did they follow her? I think this was mentioned after they made it to the basement, but we haven't made it to that point in the rewatch.

The anime has not quite gotten to the explanation of that yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sockser posted:

The anime has not quite gotten to the explanation of that yet

Huh, okay. I had assumed that the ED shows Ymir's and the king's children eating her to take her powers and become shifters themselves, but I suppose it could be different. If the shifters were contemporary with Ymir, then the royal family might eat her to try to specifically preserve her Founding Titan power regardless of how many other shifters already existed.

Originally I assumed that Ymir's children (and not the king) were eating her because of them being her bloodline, but after everything with the Reiss family in season 3 I'm leaning towards the king very well knowing that he could have gained her power but choosing not to so he could remain in control.