Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The biggest "Be Quiet!" or Noctua that fits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

And a mellow fan curve. I don’t bother spinning the fans up till 60C. I might be doing it wrong though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

nitsuga posted:

And a mellow fan curve. I don’t bother spinning the fans up till 60C. I might be doing it wrong though.

Nah, the chips don't limit until 95C. No real reason to have fans spin up too early, really--they're designed to run basically forever in the 60-80C range.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Discord memory hogging "makes sense" when you realize its just reskinned Chromium.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

From the Anand article on it: "A single DB15 D-Sub video output is present for users looking to access the system psychically"
I don't get it. The thing has two USB ports and a PCIe 16x slot. Keyboard, mouse and graphics.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

I'll probably just go 'gently caress off' overkill and throw on a dh-15S.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Are there any good comparisons of CPU benchmarks for Excel?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

complaining about Discord not being IRC is one of the most grey beard things ive heard in a while.
You're right, because of COVID-19, my (corona|unix) beard has been turning more gray than salt and pepper.

gently caress Man posted:

I can't imagine Excel is very well-multithreaded, considering even MySQL has trouble handling concurrency, and only Postgres does it properly.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 25, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

I put a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim on my 3600X and it works great, so can attest to that one. It clears my RAM nicely, even with 4 sticks with heatspreaders.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I got a cheap (but had great reviews) tower cooler called the ID-Cooling SE-224-XT and it's working great. I replaced the fan with a be quiet! one to match the other fans in the case, but the stock fan seemed fine. It was much easier to install on a AMD board than the old Hyper 212s.

You do have to mess with the fan curve on Ryzen systems or they will "rev" the fan due to the way the chiplet temps spike.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get it. The thing has two USB ports and a PCIe 16x slot. Keyboard, mouse and graphics.

It's intended as a weirdo server board, so the d-Sub is actually useful (in theory). I'd imagine a lot of users aren't going to want to waste the one traditional PCIe slot in there just so they can get local console access if they need to. Same reason why your Dell R740's and similar have a d-Sub. At my last job we wired up entire racks of R740's with d-Sub + USB to ethernet adapters so we could get "local" access remotely for provisioning and other things where IPMI/iDRAC wasn't playing nice.

COM ports, on the other hand, aren't really needed anymore in this glorious age of USB that we've been in for decades now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cygni posted:

complaining about Discord not being IRC is one of the most grey beard things ive heard in a while.

Forget the client, it's still a bit lame that everyone's centred around one proprietary platform instead of standards we already had

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

gently caress Man posted:

IIRC for a long time reviews did Monte Carlo simulations in excel - could be a keyword to search for in your reviews?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Forget the client, it's still a bit lame that everyone's centred around one proprietary platform instead of standards we already had
A proprietary platform that'll be sold to the highest bidder as soon as VC funding runs out, at which point the data will be used to mine data that the company can be used to advertise to people.
Because it's a product of silicon valley, and that's pretty much the modus operandi.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

"As of 2016, a new standardization effort is under way under a working group called IRCv3, which focuses on more advanced client features like instant notifications, better history support and improved security.[20] As of 2019, no major IRC networks have fully adopted the proposed standard."

Open standards are good, but there's no money in this stuff so no one gives a poo poo. If you want instant notifications, you use something like Discord.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inept posted:

"As of 2016, a new standardization effort is under way under a working group called IRCv3, which focuses on more advanced client features like instant notifications, better history support and improved security.[20] As of 2019, no major IRC networks have fully adopted the proposed standard."

Open standards are good, but there's no money in this stuff so no one gives a poo poo. If you want instant notifications, you use something like Discord.
Okay, so, let's ignore the fact that it's still in the draft stage and is not even an RFC yet.
IRCv3 didn't get standardized because not only did it force several things which some networks (including one of the biggest ones) don't implement at all, but it also fundamentally broke compatibility with IRC.

That's not how standards work.

Also, I might not be as involved with ircds as I used to be when I was an ircop for one of the major networks, but I recognize none of the people involved in making IRCv3, so it seems like it's forced by a lot of new people who's seen a chance to jump in and take over a protocol to suit their own needs, without regards to the existing userbase.

EDIT: a lot of what IRCv3 attempts is exemplified by what Matrix is doing to IRC too, by breaking compatibility with normal IRC: users of Matrix, when responding to someone, end up quoting part of the sentence, instead of just the regular "nick," or "nick:" way of prefixing when talking to someone.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 25, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Okay, so, let's ignore the fact that it's still in the draft stage and is not even an RFC yet.

I think you kinda answered "why Discord" with your post here: IRC, for whichever reason(s) you want to consider, isn't evolving to support the stuff that a lot of people want out of a chat program today. Discord does, and does it in a slick, easy to use, attractive-looking package. Argue about the underlying tech / core concepts all you want, if the end result is a product no one wants to use, technical "rightness" doesn't matter for much.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

IIRC for a long time reviews did Monte Carlo simulations in excel - could be a keyword to search for in your reviews?

Dope. I saw a Microsoft Excel benchmark on a video I watched and was curious if there were more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Always be suspicious of benchmarks that don't show margin of error, min/max, median+average, and confidence of data.
If they don't show it, it's almost always because they only ran one test, and that simply doesn't generate enough data to form a statistical universe.

And if they do include it, you should also make sure to check their methodology, because there's always a chance that they don't:
  • reboot (which means caching becomes a factor)
  • do abababbbbaaa-patterned testing
  • disable speedstepping/turboboosting (which alternative pessimizes or depessmizes numbers, but does so in a fashion that's unreliable)
  • disable all of the runtime tasks that any OS typically does in the background (the best way to accomplish this is mounting the filesystems read-only and use in-memory filesystems, because that way you're also eliminating disk I/O, unless that's what you want to test)
  • disable ntp time adjustments (this has a meassurable effect on benchmarks, moreso than commonly held beliefs would indicate)

Then there's the the weirdest property of benchmarking: Don't make them too short, or too long; if they're too short you get problems with timestamping resolution (even on systems that keep time to picoseconds like FreeBSD), and if you run tests for too long the temperature changes affect the quartz crystal which causes the same drift ntp is supposed to correct but which you can't control for.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm suspicious of anything that claims "Stock" regarding zen3 cpus :colbert:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
sorry folks, i just wanted to know if 5950x's were sporadically available, i don't know why that turned into an irc vs discord deathmatch

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

sorry folks, i just wanted to know if 5950x's were sporadically available, i don't know why that turned into an irc vs discord deathmatch

Nerds :awesome:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Every five years or so I make a new computer.

And every five years or so it seems I have to relearn the lesson "Hey make sure the back-plate doesn't fall off when you are trying to put on the CPU heatsink.".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:hmmyes:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Moving up to zen 3 from zen+ was relatively pain free. I put a 5600X in my MSI x470 pro carbon after installing the beta bios with the old CPU in. Only snags were that I could only get video output from the DP port on the motherboard (I tried the DP on the graphics card and the HDMI on the mobo first), which I needed because the bios defaulted to UEFI, and I needed to switch it to CSM for the OS to boot.

Glad AMD walked back on not supporting older motherboards, but with them (for now) being ahead in performance I doubt they'll keep doing things like that for long.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Can someone please tell me what RAM I got, according to Thaiphoon? https://imgur.com/cAWgfE0
I'm a bit lost with the dram calculator.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Otakufag posted:

Can someone please tell me what RAM I got, according to Thaiphoon? https://imgur.com/cAWgfE0
I'm a bit lost with the dram calculator.

You seem to have Hynix CJR.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hynix-cjr-vs-samsung-b-die.259847/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a4z89t/hynix_cjr_looks_great_very_close_to_bdie_presets/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think there’s more variability in CJR, I have a pair of those sticks that can’t do a MHz* over 3200.

*ok MT/s whatever

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's fine, literally everyone says MHz.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Note that DDR4-3200 is unitless

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
At the risk of starting another derail could I get an invite to that Discord server for stock notifications? :v: The invite on the last page expired.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the permanent link is just

https://discord.gg/atr

The key code is "ATR" like the name of the discord.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 26, 2021

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Are there any good guides for working on RAM on Ryzen 5000 CPUs? The main guides I could find with my google fu all use a tool that assumes you have Zen 2, and I'd rather not guess and check completely in the dark. This is the RAM I have installed. I've enabled the default XMP in the BIOS, but when I tried to use those guides online I couldn't get it to boot with the recommended settings.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

Thanks!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Zen3 mobile details leaked a bit. It's going to have significantly better battery life because igpu voltage no longer dictates the voltage of the CPU cores. It should be closer to on par with Intel's battery life now. The whole stack will have SMT - no more artificial segmentation.

No real igpu improvements, but that's expected. I'm seriously debating cancelling my T14 I ordered in November that won't ship until sometime in March. Mostly due to battery life. I really miss when Lenovo sold higher capacity & swappable batteries.

Davin Valkri posted:

Are there any good guides for working on RAM on Ryzen 5000 CPUs? The main guides I could find with my google fu all use a tool that assumes you have Zen 2, and I'd rather not guess and check completely in the dark. This is the RAM I have installed. I've enabled the default XMP in the BIOS, but when I tried to use those guides online I couldn't get it to boot with the recommended settings.

If XMP is unstable set xmp and increase ram voltage slightly. Look up safe voltages first. This can usually push sticks into stable territory. If it's really 1.20V with XMP set then 1.30V is extremely safe for RAM voltage.

If you're really having trouble you could try the ryzen dram calculator at tech powerup with safe settings for your RAM.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 26, 2021

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Khorne posted:

If XMP is unstable set xmp and increase ram voltage slightly. Look up safe voltages first. This can usually push sticks into stable territory.

If you're really having trouble you could try the ryzen dram calculator at tech powerup with safe settings for your RAM.

Oh, sorry, I meant the stock XMP on the RAM sticks works perfectly fine, but when I try to use the Ryzen DRAM calculator you mentioned, it doesn't have an explicit Zen 3 setting, and using the settings it recommended on Zen 2 made my computer not boot.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh, sorry, I meant the stock XMP on the RAM sticks works perfectly fine, but when I try to use the Ryzen DRAM calculator you mentioned, it doesn't have an explicit Zen 3 setting, and using the settings it recommended on Zen 2 made my computer not boot.
I'd still recommend increasing voltage first. I'm not familiar with Micron B die or what voltage the calc recommends for it. But that's always an easy first step.

Second step would be checking if geardown is turned on or not. That can also increase stability significantly.

Third is dialing some timings back. I ran into some issues with my RAM at > 3533 speeds. At 3533 I could hit insane timings with great stability. At 3600 I had a real hard time getting stable to the point where once I did get stable at 3600-3800 I went back to 3533 because it had better performance. Also running 16gb sticks.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 26, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

That’s 16Gbit (ie double density) Micron B die. I fear you’re going to have to have some pretty low expectations. Micron E is their performance bin, B is a slower one and it’s double density which is going to be even slower.

That said this guy on Reddit hit 3800, 18-21-21-42 at 1.42V.
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/cpuuee/overclocking_2x32gb_micron_16gbit_revb_d9xpf/

This is probably the most complete “how to OC ddr4” guide https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#overclocking

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

The key code is "ATR" like the name of the discord.

Anyone know if something like this exists for :canada: stores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Davin Valkri posted:

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s 16Gbit (ie double density) Micron B die. I fear you’re going to have to have some pretty low expectations. Micron E is their performance bin, B is a slower one and it’s double density which is going to be even slower.

That said this guy on Reddit hit 3800, 18-21-21-42 at 1.42V.
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/cpuuee/overclocking_2x32gb_micron_16gbit_revb_d9xpf/

This is probably the most complete “how to OC ddr4” guide https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#overclocking
yeah micron b-die could be a bit finnicky. That guide is the best one to follow. I would ignore all the secondary timings for now, just leave them at auto, and see how high you can push the memory multiplier, mem clock, and infinity fabric using VDRAM of like 1.41v and VSOC of 1.1v with primary timings of like 16-20-20-40-16. For whatever reason, Micron DIMMs are SUPER loving finnicky for tRFC and that could throw stability off right there.

DRAM calculator also really isn't great for most things that aren't Samsung B-Die since it's largely just an anecdotal aggregation that it spits out based on configuration, not a lot of people are gunna be using Micron b-die. I would ignore it for now and see what you can do stability wise pushing the memory and infinity fabric up. Definitely leave Gear Down Mode enabled as it helps with stability.

Zen2 vs Zen 3 hasn't really changed a whole lot. The big things is Zen3 seems a tiny bit hungrier on the VSOC for the integrated memory controller. I'm actually running 1.137v on VSOC myself. Another thing is Zen3 actually prefers lower on the VDDG and VDDP. Try to keep VDDP at like 900-950mv, VDDG IOD at like 900-950mv and VDDG CCD at like maybe 950-1000 at most.

I have DDR4-3200 Micron E-Die that you could try to copy (ignore the secondary timings and prob stick to 16-20-20-40-16 on the primary for now; but go ahead and try the voltages/frequency/procodt/Rtt stuff) if you wanted to give that a go on your Micron B-die

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 26, 2021